Cover Image: You Can't Catch Me

You Can't Catch Me

This one just didn't do it for me.  I liked the cult story but the identity story was way off for me.  I am appreciative for the ARC from Netgalley and the Publisher.
I did enjoy this book and would recommend it to some of my friends. It was a quick read and kept me entertained but I didn't find it to be as twisty as I typically like for books like this. I really really loved McKenzie's chick lit type books that she wrote in the beginning and I think I keep hoping she'll return to those. I have continued to enjoy McKenzie's books in the 3 to 5 star range so I will continue to read her books.
This definitely held my attention and I finished it in one day, despite in the end being a little far fetched.  But that's okay!  I'm suspending my disbelief on this one because I did enjoy the story.
A fun, twisty story about a former cult member who falls victim to identity theft after making a career-ending mistake. Dazzling, intriguing, and just good old-fashioned fun! This wildly entertaining thriller is chock full of impressive twists and a plot you'll get utterly caught up in.

Jessica Williams high tails it to Mexico but meets another Jessica Williams at the airport before her flight leaves. The second Jessica is a hustler who extracts vital information from her and swindles her out of the bulk of her money. But Jessica one isn’t about to roll over and take it. Thus ensues a cleverly plotted cat-and-mouse story in which our protagonist must determine how far she’ll go to get revenge.

A quick, fun read that will entertain and engross you. I highly recommend!
Twelve years ago Jessica Williams escaped from a cult she was involved in. All she wanted to do was leave that portion of her life behind her, but that was easier said than done. The day Jessica crosses paths with a woman at an airport bar of the exact name and birth date as hers is the day her life will alter forever.

You Can’t Catch Me by Catherine McKenzie was a book with many twists and turns that kept the reader turning the pages. I enjoyed this book, but I didn’t love it because I felt a few times the story was a little slow and it dragged a bit for me. In saying that I feel a bit of it was me and not entirely the book, so please don’t allow my opinion to put you off from reading this book. I look forward to reading more by this author. Recommended.

With thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for my digital copy to read and review.
I have REALLY been struggling with what to write for this review, and I finished the book a while ago. But I guess that I was disappointed by it. I literally rolled my eyes when they played twenty questions because I found it almost annoying that someone would fall for that game/ploy. And I just didn’t really connect with the characters or storyline, and honestly had to force myself to continue reading. Writing this kills me, because the author is a must-read writer for me. Hopefully the next book will ROCK! 🙏🏻
You Can't Catch Me by Catherine McKenzie was a grabbed you from the first paragraph kind of story! I love McKenzie's writing! It literally jumps off the page as if viewing a movie. Very descriptive in scenery, food, smells, colors, people.....you can "see" the body language she describes. All the characters in this story weren't real life like, but in a story like this they needed to be the tough gritty people they were..it helped make the story! And the plot? That ending! Blew me away!!
One of my dear 5 stars!

Thank you to NetGalley and the Author and publisher for an ARC of book. All opinions my own.
I love when I read the first few words of a book and already know I'm going to love it. Everything this author writes is so good, she has such talent! Everything about this novel is interesting - Jessica's upbringing, all the Jessica's, the outcome.. everything!! I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I absolutely loved the big twist. I look forward to reading more from Catherine McKenzie!
This is a great well thought out twisty story. I read this book in one sitting. I was totally hooked and did not see the ending coming. I thought that the whole idea was really clever.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
Another unputdownable thriller from Catherine McKenzie. This one packed quite the punch! It was fast paced and addicting. I enjoyed the twists and the writing style is always fantastic with her. This is one of her best ones yet!
Parts of this story was really good and exciting and the other part dragged... a lot.
The writing was good and I bad a good time reading it.

3 ⭐️
Thank you to NetGalley for providing this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book told the story of Jessica Williams. She grew up in a cult and is struggling with her past, while also trying to track down a woman with her name and birthday who has essentially stolen her identity and all of her money. Throughout the story, Jessica tracks down several other victims of the identity thief and together they make a plan to take her down.

I am giving this book three stars because the plot was interesting and the writing was decent. However, I was left disappointed overall. The characters were flat, and no one was really likable. The book felt like two different stories - both interesting, but put together, it felt convoluted. It also felt incredibly unrealistic toward the end, and though I appreciate a good twist, this did not feel believable in the least.

I do think my patrons who enjoy a quick and easy mystery will enjoy this, and for that reason I would consider purchasing for my library. However, I did not love it and would probably not recommend it when doing reader advisory.
Intrigue, a cult and swindles.

Jessica Williams escaped from a cult years ago, and has become an investigative reporter.  When she loses all her savings to someone she meets at an airport she is determined to find out who did it and get her money back.
Jessica narrates her story in a light and chatty style, keeping the pace up.  Most of the book is focused on her search for the person who stole her money and the people she meets along the way, but she also flashes back to her life within the cult.
I enjoyed this book (until the ending).  I wasn’t particularly involved with any of the characters, but it all moved at a good pace and was perfect for a light read.  However the ending was very disappointing.  The last few pages aimed at explaining what had been going on, but for me just opened up more questions and made me doubt some of the events that I’d accepted whilst reading.
There are questions at the end for Book Clubs; there certainly is plenty of material in this book to make for lively discussions.
3*s from me as what started as a great idea ended very disappointingly, and there was never enough depth in any of the storylines to really get me involved and interested.
I loved the characters in this book as well as the plot. The ending was superb and such a fast paced book. The writing style kept me engaged all the way through. Cant wait to read more of her books.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an advanced copy. This is the tenth book I have read by this author. It had a different feel to it than the rest, but I was still intrigued. I thought I had most of the book figured out, but I was still surprised at the end.
LOVED it!!!! Catherine McKenzie is one of my favorite authors. I always get excited when she has a new book out. Her books just keep getting better and better and never disappoint. This book was awesome- the story, characters and writing style. Who knew Jessica Williams was such a popular name? If I ever meet one I will not play the Jessica Williams game and will hide my phone. This book is full of twists and turns. Every time I thought I knew what was going on, the book took a detour and everything would change. Jessica One was amazing. All the planning that went into everything was unreal. I really had no clue what was really happening. The ending was everything. I was completely shocked (in a good way)!!! Never would have guessed the ending. It was perfect. The addition of the cult just added to the mystery of the characters. The cult and the leader were crazy enough and then add in a bunch of Jessica Williamses with the same birthday and an evil person who likes to manipulate people and steal their money and you have a great book. What type of parents would have their children living at the cult and make them endure that lifestyle?? The parents were separated from the children and didn't even live with them.

Definitely recommend the book. It was the perfect mystery/thriller. Pretty much everything is not how it looks and the characters will keep you guessing throughout the book. I look forward to reading more books by the author.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Lake Union Publishing through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
"You Can't Catch Me." Was an incredibly bland thriller/suspense novel for me. It centers on identity theft. The main character, Jessica Williams, gets conned by a woman with the same name and birth date. The rest of the book is Jessica 'one' trying to find Jessica 'two' that stole all of her money. I felt detached from the characters, and the story didn't seem to go anywhere most of the time. Then, the ending was just "whatever" for me. Unfortunately, It wasn't very exciting or even all that interesting in my opinion.
Thanks to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for a digital advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

Jessica Williams is a disgraced reporter who ends up getting scammed out of a lot of money by another Jessica Williams.  She ends up tracking down down other Jessica Williams that have also been scammed.

There is so much more but I don’t want to give anything away.  So many twists that I did not see coming.  There is a lot of interesting background on Jessica One growing up in a cult and how she acclimated to society after escaping.

A well written book with lots of unexpected surprises and great characters.  Highly recommend reading You Can’t Catch Me.
Catherine McKenzie has become one of my favorite authors to read, and this book was no different.  She has a knack for taking subjects that are different, that I would never even think about, but making them interesting. This is NOT another book about a woman and her missing/abusive/lying husband, which is refreshing!

Jessica Williams has had a rough upbringing- she grew in a very rural cult community. She was able to escape right before her 18th birthday, and a large paycheck from writing about her experience meant she didn’t have to worry about money for a while. In the airport bar on the way to a tropical getaway, she meets another woman with the same name. When she returns from her trip, she finds her life has been turned upside down, and now she must find the other Jessica Williams to get her life back.

I was hooked from the beginning, and was guessing until the end. Don’t miss this book!!
Absolutely loved this book. Such a unique concept and it kept me in my toes the whole time. This Catherine McKenzie book was another winner.