All the Silent Voices

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2020

This book was full of suspense and I flew through it because I desperately wanted to know what would happen next.  The premise of a woman's company being sold to the man who raped her and left her for dead twenty years prior could come off as cheesy or over the top, but the author made this an enjoyable read that is timely.  I highly recommend this one!
Drew me in a true page turner.so tense will be reading more by this author,Sat down to read a few pages& didn’t look up till the lat page.#netgalley#Allthesilentvoices.
Fabulous read kept me hooked from the beginning didn’t know where it was going to take me definitely recommend
Just finished All the Silent Voices! This fast-paced roller coaster of a thriller kept me up all night. Emma was raped when she was in college and was forced to leave because she was not believed. The years pass. She gets married and has a daughter who will be going to college. She has a successful job at a pharmaceutical company.  The company is bought by the man who raped her. So many tense moments made this reader stay up all night to finish it. Good read! Thanks to NetGalley and Wild Rose Press for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you to Netgalley for allowing me to read an advanced copy of this book.  I read some other reviews and based on the positive feedback, I decided to read it.  I was not as thrilled as many of the other reviewers.
All the Silent Voices by Elena Mikalsen is a book about rape and revenge.  The author says she started writing it before all the #me too voices started emerging.  It is an interesting story of an incident in college that reverberates twenty-one years later.  I found the writing hysterical and way overblown.  I don't find rape or anything associated with it hysterical but it was hard for me to read the extreme words over and over.  There was no subtlety at all.
And yet, this is a woman who shortly after being raped, met and married her husband and had satisfying sex with him.  No healing time needed.  That is not my experience or any that I've heard of.  None of the characters were believable.  It is too bad.  This is a subject that needs writing about, that needs to be heard.  As the title says: there are millions of silent voices out there.
And, according to the feedback, many women found this story healing.
So I commend the author for tackling this subject.
Wow....this book has left me speechless.  I’m disgusted because everyone knows this happens in real life.  The “good ole boys club” and all.  I found this book very well written, and I applaud the author for writing it.
All The Silent Voices is a psychology thriller in a Me to movement.  The book has you gripping your seat eagerly turning to the next page.
     Katie was a freshman in college, when she makes a mistake and trusts her roommate.  Joins Sharon at a fraternity party, that changes her life forever.  Brutal raped by a football player.   No one believes or offers help.  College Dean forces her to leave the college.
    Twenty one years later name change to Emma.  She thinks she has her whole life back together.  That is until the pharmaceutical company she works for is bought out.  Richard the man that raped her is her new boss.  Does she choose revenge or let's her fears control?  Can she find away to help other women be heard?
A fast paced suspense.  This book is well written and kept me on the edge of my seat.  I highly recommend this book.  I received an arc from the publisher and Netgalley and this is my unbiased review.
All The Silent Voices by Elena Mikalsen is a well written suspense novel. Emma suffered a brutal rape back when she was in college, and never really shared the details with her husband and others. Now her rapist is her new boss and her husband wants to be friends with him! Emma is filled with anger

The angrier that Emma gets, the more she starts to find ways to pay her boss, Richard back for all the wrong he has done. Now she is figuring out that he is involved in bad deals about pharmaceutical drugs that have dangerous side effects. How will she get her revenge and will her family have to pay the ultimate price for Emma's pursuit for justice is the big questions in this book.

I like the way that tough issues are handled in All The Silent Voices. The title really does provide the foreshadowing that the author will be speaking for those that can't speak up for themselves. She advocates for the mentally ill and victims of rape with care and integrity, while fighting against corrupt systems that make it difficult to get help. The interwoven connections between the school, football team, and law enforcement that Emma was unaware of when she reported her rape is simply brutal....yet part of the good old boy system that still works against many people today. It also speaks to the fear that women may feel when reporting a violence violation like rape.

Very well done book, enjoyed the writing even though the topics were not easy. Highly recommend Elena Mikalsen- I will be following her and reading more of her work!

Trigger warnings: PTSD, Rape, Assault, Mental Health care issues

Thank you to NetGalley, Elena Mikalsen, and Wild Rose Press for this temporary digital advance review copy for me to read and enjoy. As always, my opinions are my own.
Thank you to #NetGalley, #ElenaMikalsen and #WildRosePress for the eARC of this book. In return I offer my review in my own words.

First of all, I would like to say that this is my first time reading a book by this author and it won’t be my last. She sure knows how to write a perfectly developed mystery/thriller as this captured from the moment I read the first paragraph. Talk about a gripping novel. This story is all things sinister, manipulative, calculating and greed. But I do love a sweet revenge and Emma sure got hers!

This story covers a tough topic of rape and assault which was very hard for me at times but it brings out the #MeToo movement that has allowed many “Silent Voices” to find the courage to speak out. It also brings in corporate & political dishonesty and greed and how society is impacted by it.  I was shocked, at how the author portrayed how Big Pharma manipulates the systems to get drugs to market at times. We need pharma to continue research & development but not like this. For this reason, I really hope much of that is embellished though.

Emma aggravated me at times with her histrionics but I had to take pause to empathize with her based on her consequences of PTSD from her past. However, I did not like the way she pulled her daughter into her drama and dilemma that put her into danger. For that reason, I felt the story could be perceived as unbelievable or over exaggerated.

I really enjoyed reading “All The Silent Voices” since it touched on so many important topics, but mainly because it is just a dang good nail biting thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout. Good job #Elena Milkalsen & #WildRosePress.
When I started this book I was not sure I was going to be able to handle it. It starts out quite violently. A young college girl getting beaten and raped in a stairwell outside a frat party. It was horrific. But it was the beginning of a book that will give you a lot to think about.

This book sure touches on quite a few subjects. College football players getting away and even encouraged to rape young freshman girls. The girls being told it’s their fault and subsequently being forced out of the college. The sad thing is this is actually happening in colleges all across this nation and they are getting away with it. The corruption that goes into choosing players. Paying them off to come to each college. The promise of drugs and girls. I sure hope all colleges do not do this but am willing to bet almost all of them do. It definitely needs to be stopped.

Also the drug manufacturers and what is going on there. It’s a huge money making racket that some very high up people are getting rich from at the expense of us as humans who may depend on said drugs to live. Money being paid to officials to keep quiet about the side effects of dangerous drugs. It’s all for the profit not the health of the people.

Combine these two things and you have a story of a woman who was brutally raped and then years later having to face that rapist as her boss. That alone would be more than I could handle but Emma is a very strong woman. She’s already been through a lot in her life. She’s happily married and has a daughter who will soon be leaving for college. She also suffered numerous miscarriages that ripped her and her husbands hearts into. It’s a sad story in many ways but also a happy one in that they have such a strong marriage that they can endure almost anything. Aidan, Emma’s husband does not know for a long time why Emma hates Richard so much and so deeply. But when he does find out he is beside her through everything. He supports her no matter what. As he should. It took Emma a long time to face what happened after being made to feel she did something wrong and was the cause of the attack.

This book will give you many feelings. Some of hatred. Some of loss and a lot of anger. It made me cry in so many places to think about what Emma went through as a young girl starting out. She had already lost so much. But she does have a happy life twenty one years later and that is so wonderful. You will root for her and Aidan to make it. To be strong and be there for each other. For their daughter Sophie too. She plays a very important part in this story as does Emma’s roommate in college.

Most of the characters in this book are very likable. Lovable actually. But a few you will totally detest and wish bad things on so be warned. When a person is that evil you just want to see them hurting.

Thank you to #NetGalley, #ElenaMikalsen and #WildRosePress for the eARC of this book. This is my own true review of this story.

I gave it a star and a very high recommendation.. You have to read this one to believe it.
I'm truly unsure how to review this book as I know some will like it and some won't.  It does give you an insight to the way people are bought off to allow big corporations to become bigger.  In this one, it's a pharmaceutical company.  It has a nice story line but I didn't care for the main character that didn't tell her husband she was pregnant, or the way she used any man she knew to get revenge for a rape she endured during her college years.  Another thing that bothered me were all the characters, who was married to who, who is the real father to the baby.  Plus, if I had to put up with Aiden very long, I'd have booted his butt out the door.  Please read it and see if you like it or not.  I want to thank Net Galley for giving me the chance to read this this.
Emma was raped at college by Richard but no one believed her, including her boyfriend Jeff, so she dropped out.
Years later, happily married with a teenage daughter Sophie, she meets Richard - his company has just bought the Pharma company where she and her husband Aidan work.
Emma is distraught and tries to get her husband to leave the company but doesn’t tell him the reason why.
She becomes determined to seek revenge and drags her daughter into it which I found disturbing and a little unrealistic.
Emma finds out she is pregnant but is still hellbent on revenge.
I understood this but lost empathy for her when she didn’t seem to care at times who she dragged into her schemes.
Fast paced and well written but was a bit disappointed with the ending.
I really enjoyed this face paced read!!! Great story ... a real page turner! Thus is the second book by this author and enjoy her books immensely! Highly recommend!
I received an ARC of Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.  I was quickly pulled into this story and it's characters.  This thriller had me turning pages until the end.

***Spoiler alert***
I did not like how Emma involved her daughter with illegal actions and trapping Ben and this wasn't believable with the rest of the Emma's character.

Overall I recommend this book to anyone who likes a good thriller.
Such a great read. The plot and storyline were very well done. I Could not put it down. Read in one day.
This is author Elena Mikalsen’s third book, and with each her prose has tightened. Here, she draws upon her experience as a psychologist. Her protagonist, college student Emma, has been raped, beaten, and left for dead by a football player. She is forced from school and spends years trying to block out the attack. Eventually she moves on, finds a loving husband, and has a high-school-aged daughter. Emma works in marketing for a pharmaceutical company. When her company is bought out by another, she learns that her new boss is her rapist. All her old feelings of despair and anger return. She vows revenge.

This emotion-packed thriller is particularly apt in light of the current #MeToo movement. Emma’s rape kit was destroyed before it could be tested. The people who were supposed to help her (her counselors, the dean, even the police) instead sweep her rape under the carpet—all so the school could build a sports complex.

Adding to the drama are Emma’s infertility and the fact that she’s never told her husband, Aidan, that she was raped. Emma’s desire for revenge endangers not only herself, but her family, and often approaches illegal methods.

Mikalsen also provides an intimate look into the world of the pharmaceutical industry. Like many of the mega-industries in American, Big Pharma is full of graft and corruption with profits made at the cost of people’s lives. As a physician myself, I found these elements accurate and they gave a sense of verisimilitude to the novel.

This book reads as a near-documentary of many of America’s current flaws.
“All the Silent Voices” was a gripping thriller that had me engaged from the beginning.  I enjoyed Elena Mikalsen’s writing style and the characters that she brought to life.
This is a powerful book dealing with unpunished rape and FDA approval of dangerous drugs. The author clearly did a lot of research to write this book. I can’t begin to imagine the horror of coming face-to-face with the man who raped you 20 years ago. He will now be her boss, and wants her help to force a new drug through the FDA process, even though there are known deadly side effects. With help from friends, she both exposes the college they both attended and the drug company for their fraudulent actions. This a very suspenseful novel, and has quite a few unexpected plot twists. While this book is fiction, it is a very good perception of our society today. I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.
It is a very interesting story from Elena. I can practically feel the fear and stress while reading the story. What a great writer.