Cover Image: The Heatwave

The Heatwave

An excellent read that kept me on the edge till the last page.
It's gripping and entertaining, fast paced and full of twists and turns. I loved the plot and the great characters.
It's the first book I read by this author and won't surely be the last.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
The Heatwave is a compelling suspenseful book you may just finish in one sitting. It's fast-paced & keeps you turning pages till the end. There are many good twists & turns that left me shocked. And its been a while since I saw a really good twist. I loved how the book started, the prologue reels you right in. The stories of Felicity & Jasmine got more & more intriguing as they developed. Although some lines at the start were confusing, it all makes sense after the big reveal. The characters were great & the plot was superb. The ending was shocking yet amazing, definitely didn't see that coming. I just had some unanswered questions at the end that left me feeling a bit disappointed as I like my stand-alone stories to be tied up in a knot that makes sense in the end. This was a good one-time read & I liked the author's style of writing.  I will keep an eye out for Katerina Diamond's other books. In all, I would recommend picking up this book!

Thank You, NetGalley, Avon Books & Katerina Diamond for an arc!
A dark and twisty psychological thriller packed with suspense

When a teenage girl went missing from her hometown when she was a teenager, Felicity fled her old life and vowed never to look back. Several years later, while happily married with two children, she sees on the news that another girl has vanished from the same small sleepy Devon coastal town. Knowing that she is the only person who realises the truth about what happened during that summer, Felicity decides that she must face her fear and return to Sidmouth to investigate the disappearance and confront the dangers and darkness of her past.

I am a massive fan of this author and have read every book in her ongoing series featuring DS Imogen Grey, so when I picked up her first standalone novel, my expectations were high. I am pleased to say that I was certainly not disappointed. There are two narratives, present-day; guilt-stricken Felicity. That summer during the titular heatwave; memories of her sixteen-year-old best friend, Jasmine, back in the summer of the first disappearance. Gradually the suspense builds as more is uncovered about what happened.

As the novel progresses, Felicity’s reasons for feeling so invested in the missing girls become gradually more and more disturbingly clear, and how Jasmine fits into it all adds to the tension. The characters are well-written and believable, and the author manages to include many false alarms and red herrings so that when the twists start coming, they are genuinely unexpected and shocking. The suspense builds well to a very fast-paced and disturbing ending that left me reeling with surprise.

I found the characters, on the whole, to be empathic and realistic, although some aspects of their personality were a little disjointed. For example, Jasmine’s behaviour didn’t always tie-in well with some aspects of her personality, particularly in her attitude towards Tim, her family’s lodger. Some of the plot, was a bit far-fetched and unrealistic. On the other hand,  that added to the shock factor of the story. Overall, the characters are not quite as well fleshed out as those in the author’s series of books. Still, she does a fantastic job of building their personalities in a short time so that the reader empathises with them and understands their actions.

In conclusion, this was an excellent psychological thriller with a tense and gripping storyline that was full of brilliantly crafted twists. I would highly recommend both this book and author and will eagerly await any more novels from her, either standalone or part of her brilliant series.

Daenerys

Elite Reviewing Group received a copy of this book to review.
What a scorcher of a book. The flip between time lines, the bond between mother and child and the creepy atmosphere of the house add up to a best seller of a book. The suspense and the heat both drip from the pages making it very compelling all the way through. Once started i was reluctant to put it down as i was itching to know what happened to all involved. The finale was heartbreakingly poignant and left me feeling wrung out after all the emotions i had felt throughout.
This was a slow burner that did not really get me interested until nearly three quarters through and then it was just a bit too far fetched. So on the whole I was disappointed as her other novels were far better. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to review it.
Katerina Diamond is one of my favourite authors and her latest book, The Heatwave sits alongside her fabulous DS Imogen Grey series. The Heatwave is for you if a book that has mystery, crime, suspense and heat in spades floats your boat. It drew me in from the outset and I was desperate to see how the plot would conclude.

Set in Sidmouth, Devon, the reader is introduced to a predator who has stalked the local area for many years waiting to pounce on their ideal prey. Currently living in The Lake District, Northern England with her husband and two daughters, Felicity is left reeling after she sees a shocking case of a missing girl, Mandy Green, on the news that hits alarmingly close to home for her, taking her back to her troubled past in sunny Sidmouth. Knowing this case is linked to another girl, Hannah’s, disappearance almost two decades ago, an obsessed Felicity hastily hightails it back to her hometown...

The story is narrated by Felicity in the present, and Jasmine (Felicity's best friend) in the past. With fabulous sub plots, and more than its fair share of red herrings, Felicity and Jasmine as adolescents had depth and there was loads going on. Secondary characters included a dubious lodger, an even weirder teacher, and errant parents. I could almost feel the tension wafting from the pages in both timeframes, but particularly from the chapters in the past, tracking Jasmine and Felicity. Although the pacing of The Heatwave is slower than I had been expecting it didn't interfere with my overall enjoyment of the story. In the later chapters the pace intensified, and I was rendered speechless when all was revealed.

This review was written voluntarily and was not influenced by the fact that I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel from Avon Books via NetGalley.
I have never read a book by this Author before although I have heard a lot of good things!
The beginning of the story was a little slow, and although I enjoyed it, I didn't mind putting it down. But the ending more than made up for it all - I ended up reading till nearly 2am because I could not put it down. Knowing that my kids would have me up at 5:30 was irrelevant - I just needed to know the ending.
The ending had a massive twist that didn't even cross my mind that's how it would end - I love it when a books ending can surprise me as I have read so many books, I can guess the ending of most.
News of a girl going missing near her childhood home transports Felicity back sixteen years to a time when she was a carefree teenager. Carefree, that is, until another girl disappeared, and she fled, knowing more than she cared to let on. Feeling that this is the time to put this behind her once and for all, Felicity is compelled to return to her childhood haunts, using her knowledge of what happened then to help find the girl. Little does she know the full extent of what happened all those years ago and how much danger she is putting herself in by returning...

Having recently read and enjoyed Woman in the Water, the sixth book in the Imogen Grey series, I couldn't wait to read Katerina Diamond's latest standalone book, The Heatwave. I was instantly hooked, wondering what it was that happened that had made Felicity leave her home at such a young age, and what it was about the missing girl that had made her go back after all these years.

The Heatwave is told from two perspectives, the first being the aforementioned Felicity, as she returns to Devon to find the truth about the missing girl. It soon becomes apparent that something similar happened years ago, with Felicity fearing that the past has come back to haunt her. It is from the other perspective that we begin to build up the story of what happened as we meet Jasmine, Felicity's friend, her part of the story being set sixteen years ago, prior to the event that changed their lives forever.

Despite the girls being close friends, they had very different personalities and backgrounds, both of them damaged in their own way. There were many reasons to dislike Felicity and yet, at the same time, I had great sympathy towards her due to the life she was leading. It was easy to see why she was drawn to Jasmine, the girl from the stable home with charity-volunteer parents. All was not what it seemed with Jasmine, however, as we found out more about her past and the troubling time she has had at school.

The arrival of Tim, a lodger at Jasmine's home, definitely ramped up the tension. It was obvious that he was hiding something but, due to his actions in several different parts of the book, I found it difficult to determine what his motives were. What was he hiding and what was he planning to do?

The Heatwave is a book full of surprises with twists that I did not see coming. The events of sixteen years ago are slowly revealed, the plot becoming much more twisted than I could have ever imagined, with a shocking conclusion that made me gasp several times. I was genuinely taken aback by some of the reveals, some of them sickening and others heartbreaking, and I did not predict any of them!
This is one of those books which draws you in and refuses to let you put it down and I found myself racing through it, desperate to find out what had happened all those years ago.

A gripping plot with some very shocking moments, The Heatwave is another great read from Katerina Diamond and I hope that we will see some more standalones soon.
For a long time I did not now at all where this was going and the first third of it I found not particularly captivating. And then it got going and turned into something I really did not expect. The ending is what makes this book worth reading but it is twisted and sinister so not for the fainthearted. An enjoyable summer read.
‘You really never know what’s going on inside people.  Even when you think you know them they turn out to be someone else.’

The story is about Felicity who hears about a teenage girl missing from Felicity’s hometown of Sidmouth.  This incident dredges up bad memories for Felicity and she feels the need to go back as she thinks she might hold the key to what has happened.  The story then unfolds through 2 timelines – the present day and Felicity’s teenage years.  Through her past we learn about her family life and that of her best friend Jasmine.  And then there is the mysterious Tim who has been employed by her parents to do odd jobs around their home but there is something about him which unsettles Felicity.

This is a very gripping storyline set during a heatwave which made the story feel more intense.  The character development was brilliant and just as you think you have sussed them out, something else happens which changes your opinion.

I would never have guessed the ending!!  I felt a bit smug thinking I had figured out the guilty party but the final twist was brilliant.  It left me in shock!!  Totally recommend this book.  Thank you to @netgalley for my #gifted eARC.
I have previously read Katerina Diamonds books and enjoyed them. This book was no different.

I was a bit confused to begin with on where this was going, but it all explained soon enough. It flipped between the past and the present. It was all very well set out, it didn't just jump for no reason.

I did have a idea about the characters but I wasn't sure. It became clearer later on in the story.

There are some great characters in the book, you couldn't help but feel like you were friends with them. I enjoyed reading about them and imagining all the scenery that was described as well.

I don't think any review i write for this book will do it justice.

This book certainly lives up to the hype.
This book was a good thriller, and I could not get enough. This was the first book I have read by Diamond, and I really enjoyed it.

This book is fast paced and enjoyable. I had a lot of fun reading it. And I was shocked by the ending. I liked the story told from past to present. I really could not stop reading this book once I started. I will be picking up more from this author soon.
The Heatwave is a gripping psychological thriller split into two different timelines.
Felicity Is married with two children and lives in the Lake District, whilst watching the news she sees a young girl has gone missing in Sidmouth, Devon. Felicity feels she can find out where this girl is as the circumstances sound very familiar to what happened when she was a young girl and lived there.
The story is told by felicity, now and Jasmine, then. This is a very twisty read, it left me for a while at the beginning what could possibly make you leave your family and head back to where you grew up and a place you haven’t been back to since?
Felicity and Jasmine were school friends but came from very different backgrounds but they were the best friends until Tim arrived. Tim was homeless and in return for doing odd jobs Jasmine’s parents put him up but he’s not who he makes out to be and causes the girls to fall out.
This thriller drew me in and I loved the twists along the way.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Avon Books UK for this ARC I received in exchange for an honest review.
I enjoyed reading The Heatwave but unfortunately guessed one of the main plot twists early on. The ending does pick up quite a bit as we reach the climactic ending but I couldn't get on board with certain aspects of the book.

The Heatwave is a good summer read. It is primarily set on the English coast and happens during a heatwave that heightens feelings and tensions over the course of the summer. The "then" and "now" accounts of Jasmine and Felicity reveal to us what happened "then" and how it is affecting what is happening in the present day.

I didn't really like Jasmine or Felicity's characters which meant I wasn't fully invested in the book. It was a quick, easy read which no doubt will be exactly right for some readers out there, especially over the coming summer months.

Unfortunately, once I'd guess the plot twist, I spent the rest of the book looking for clues to see if I was right. The book has plenty of red herrings which means that for some readers there will be a few good shocks along the way. And I was genuinely surprised when I found out who the culprit really was. But the ending was a bit too far for me; without spoiling it for anyone, I just don't think it was believable the way things were wrapped up and resolved.

Recommended for anyone looking for a quick, easy summer read.

Thank you to NetGalley, Katerina Diamond and Avon Books UK for the eARC in exchange for an honest review.
A summer sizzler!

I've been a fan of Katerina Diamond her since readying her first book and she has yet to disappoint me.

another unsettling, tense psychological thriller with twists and turns aplenty that I couldn't put down had me gripped from beginning to end!
I absolutely love Katerina Diamond's DS Imogen Grey series so I was very excited to read her new standalone novel, The Heatwave.  Stepping away from a police procedural into a psychological thriller, Katerina Diamond's slow burning thriller The Heatwave absolutely blew me away.  It is THE book to read this summer!

Felicity is a very intriguing main character; there's definitely a lot more going on under the surface than it first appears.  When she leaves her husband and family behind to return to her hometown in the wake of a missing teenager, you just know that this is not the reaction of a normal person.  As we delve into Felicity's teenage past and the summer when a stranger comes to town and a teenager goes missing, Katerina Diamond turns the temperature up to boiling point in this scorching novel.

There are so many twists and turns in The Heatwave that you think you know where the story is going and then Katerina Diamond plants a landmine and you're off on a completely different tangent.  With a dual timeline set in past and present, Felicity's friendship with Jasmine during the summer heatwave is the focus of the 'past' storyline.  With teenage hormones in full flow and temperatures rising, the mysterious Tim (Jasmine's parents' lodger) becomes the focus of the girls' attention and their friendship comes under pressure.  When a teenager goes missing, Felicity leaves her hometown and Jasmine behind.  So why on earth does a missing teenager 16 years later make Felicity go back?

The Heatwave is a completely masterful novel showing that Katerina Diamond is at the top of her game.  She is such an accomplished and talented writer that I'm sure Katerina Diamond could turn her venomous pen to any genre.  Make sure to grab a copy of The Heatwave; you don't want to miss what is sure to be the hottest book of the year.

I chose to read an ARC and this is my honest and unbiased opinion.
All I have to say is l want to read more by this author!

Well written, well developed storyline, interesting and captivating from the start.  Good characters, good pace, not boring.

Thank you to NetGalley and Avon for the ARC of this book.  This is my honest review.  All opinions are my own.
Another new author to me Katerina Diamond and not bad,  not my usual type of thriller it's more mystery but engaging none the less Felicity hears about a girl gone missing where she grew up and get an urge to go back to her roots and needs to face her demons.  16yrs ago another girl went missing and by the time you have finished,  this book goes back in time and also in the present, but I did find it engaging but at the same time I would have thought Felicity would have needed to get rid of her demons the 16yrs ago.  Very different from the usual crime style but good writing and well defined, well balanced. I would like to thank Netgalley and Avon Books UK for giving me a copy to read and review I would certainly read another by this author.
Buckle in for the ride of your life because this book is so twisty it'll girl you around and around as you try to figure out what's going on and you won't. Want to read a well written thriller tense and full of suspense pick this up. Happy reading!
Well well well what have we here? The first stand-alone by Katerina Diamond and it’s criminally good (pun intended).

Told by dual narration and dual timeline we first get to know Felicity now married and a mum and living away from where she grew up. Seeing a news report of a girl who has gone missing there, she obviously knows more than she lets on and makes the rash decision to leave her husband with the children to go back and figure it out.

Then it goes back to sixteen years ago and is narrated by Jasmine who has just moved to the area with her parents and a new lodger has moved in to help them. Jasmine and Felicity become best friends, each secretly envious of the other’s life and each have their own demons. Felicity’s mum drinks too much and has a parade of men through the door and Felicity seems to be following in her footsteps. Coveting Jasmine’s loving parents and the normality of family. Jasmine’s parents travel extensively doing charity work and Jasmine is for a change spending the first summer at home. Then a girl goes missing…

This book has some really good sub plots, enough red herrings to set up a fish shop and some terrific characters. Out of the two timelines Jasmine’s had me hooked the most which was surprising as I normally struggle with teenage girl narration. But these two as teenagers had real depth and there was so much more going on. The creepy lodger, the even creepier teacher, errant parents and raging hormones everywhere.

The pace of this book is slower than the normal thriller but don’t let that put you off. It’s all to build the suspense and character development. The last few chapters the pace intensified and my jaw hit the floor when all was revealed. I’m really hoping the author writes more stand alone thrillers if this is anything to go by.