Cover Image: The Heatwave

The Heatwave

I hadn’t read a Katerina Diamond book in a while so was really looking forward to this and it didn’t disappoint. She kept me asking questions and wanting to know more all the way through and it wasn’t the ending I expected! A real good page turner.
I've never read a Katerina Diamond before but I definitely shall in the future. This book starts dramatically with an abduction, and possible murder, of a teenager in Sidmouth.  The story cuts to Felicity who hasn't been back to Sidmouth for 16 years but on hearing this news returns as the same thing happened all those years ago to another girl. She feels she needs to confront her past so she can move forward. I like the way the story goes from past to present and I love the twists and turns in the plot. An addictive read!
Series Of Unfortunate Events....
A series of unfortunate events leads to Felicity leaving her hometown. Some years later she returns when she hears news that echos the events of that long ago Summer. Will Felicity find the truth? A reasonably paced suspense but with a protagonist that is not so likeable. A slow burn.
WOW! Thoroughly enjoyed this one 👍 two story lines again the present told from Felicity’s point of view and the past by Jasmine her best friend. I’m finding a lot of plots are written like this these days, anyhow, great start to a gripping and dark psychological thriller. It grabs you straight away. The end of the prologue goes like this:

‘She knows she is in trouble. She struggles to stay awake, aware that once her eyes are closed, they may never open again. As her lids draw together she tries to speak, but all she hears is an unintelligible gargle. ‘You’re coming with me,’ the driver says.’

A girl disappears, a community is shattered and Felicity left her hometown knowing a lot more than she let on. However, 16 years later, after building a new life, she is shocked by the news that a second young girl has gone missing in Sidmouth. She must go back, as only she knows the truth about what happened all those years ago. So off she goes, leaving behind the life she has built up in the Lake District.

This is a very cleverly developed plot and leads to quite a disturbing and shocking end. The two timelines come together very nicely. Great crime, mystery and suspense tale.

Diamond crafts and spins together dysfunctional upbringings, loads of suspicion, plenty of mind games, sexual abuse, murder, friendship, young girl activity, relationships, deceit and plenty of red herrings throughout the book. She keeps you guessing.

Jasmine didn’t pick up on what Tim said about her parents about they’re not what she thinks. Tim was staying with Jasmine and her parents, lodging with them in return for helping them around their home. He knew more than he let on too. Tim was a pleasant addition to the plot.

People need to consider the consequences of their actions.  There is a lot going on however it all falls into place.

I would highly recommend.

Thank you to the author, Netgalley and Avon Books UK for this eARC provided in exchange for this unbiased review.
I did enjoy reading this book but by the time I got to the end I realised there was a massive plot hole and it really bothered me - the story doesn't make sense once you notice it!!

Other than the plot hole the writing was great, the story built up well and was suspenseful.  I didn't see the twist coming which is always great as I read many psychological thrillers and often work out the twist well in advance.  I also really liked the characters.  I felt the were well developed and I grew to like both Felicity and Jasmine.

I will definitely give other Katerina Diamond books a chance as the writing was great and without the plot hole I would have given 4 stars.
The story is told in two timelines.  In the present Felicity is returning home after leaving sixteen years previously with lots of dark secrets.  When she left a young girl had gone missing and Felicity is returning now as another young girl is missing.  Sixteen years ago Felicity was best friends with Jasmine and the story is told from Jasmine’s point of view and some shocking revelations are revealed,  I found this book very slow, quite implausible and a disappointing read,  I have enjoyed Katrina Diamond’s previous books and I will certainly read her next one, but I am sorry this one wasn’t for me.
Thanks to Netgalley and Avon for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.
A fast paced psychological thriller set in Sidmouth, Devon. A missing girl sends a woman back to the sleepy seaside town she escaped sixteen years earlier. A satisfying twist at the end made this a great read.
I have loved all of this authors books and this one is up there with the rest.  I can't wait to read more from Katerina.
This book was obviously going to be a ‘whodunnit’, and typically they’re not my cup of tea, however I was immediately captivated by this story. The story commences with the kidnapping of a young girl, and our protagonist Felicity hears about the kidnapping in her home-town and knows she must return before history repeats itself. This psychological thriller keeps you guessing throughout, and I was very surprised by the ending (wasn’t even in my top 5 potential scenarios). Fast paced and cleverly written, definitely recommend.
Twist and turns galore in this summer set thriller that casts a decidedly dark shadow. I loved the way in which the author built up the tension, creating all manner of suspects in what was a complex and tense missing persons case. There were a varied cast of characters who I didn't always feel i could trust and enough misdirection to leave readers a little blindsided by the ending. I certainly wasn't expecting it.

There is an uneasy quality to the whole read, something that leaves you a bit uncomfortable. The author skirts around the theme of grooming and of older people taking advantage of teenagers. The book opens in a manner that immediately spells out a sense of doom and that keeps the tension dripping into the narrative right to the last. With an unreliable narrator who is clearly hiding something, and chapters moving from past to present day, this is a gripping summer read that psychological thriller readers will love
I have been a huge fan of all of Katerina Diamond’s books since I read ‘The Teacher’, loving the series. So reading The Heatwave I was a little apprehensive as to what it would be like with it being a standalone thriller. But I was not disappointed! It kept me gripped from beginning to end.

I enjoyed the way the book kept jumping from the present to the past and how the life’s of the characters were slowly revealed. I warmed to the characters of Felicity and Jasmine and despite reading many crime novels, I did not predict the ending.

I would highly recommend this page turner, it will keep you intrigued. It’s style is easy to read and was very enjoyable.

Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read one of my favourite authors and review this book.
Even though I did buy myself a physical copy of this book, I would also like to thank Netgalley and the publishers for providing me with a copy to read and review.

I thoroughly enjoyed Katerina Diamond's 'Imogen Grey' series, so while I was excited for a new book from the author, I was also skeptical if a standalone could compare to the series.
I certainly wasn't disappointed! All the incredibly picture-perfect descriptions certainly made me feel like I was on holiday, enjoying stunning views. And with a little murder-mystery, it had my full attention from the very start.
A fairly easy read that is steadily paced, twisty and highly compelling!
I did prefer one POV compared to the other but I certainly didn't see that ending coming!
Definitely recommend this one!
Found this really cliched and badly written - it didn't engage me at all. It certainly wasn't thrilling. I was so disappointed with how poor the writing was - does this really pass as commercial fiction these days? It was just garbage.
Thank you to Netgalley, Katerina Diamond and Avon publishers for my arc of The Heatwave in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis: When a chance news report reveals a girl is missing in her home town of Sidmouth, Felicity knows she has to go back, she has to help the missing girl and uncover the secrets of the past as well. Memories of a hot summer return, days at the fair, on the beach with her best friend and a mysterious and attractive stranger. Memories of another missing girl.

Katerina Diamond shot to the top of my list of favourite crime authors a few years ago when I read her first book The Teacher and I've been addicted ever since. The Heatwave is her first standalone novel and it does not disappoint, it's just as addictive as her main series and keeps you guessing until the end. I'd definitely recommend any and all of Katerina's books.
Sixteen years ago a girl went missing in Felicity's small town, she bolted and kept her mouth shut about what she knew. Now another has gone missing and Felicity feels compelled to go back because if the killer is back only she will be able to help find her.

The story goes between present day and back "then", then features Jasmine, a young girl whose closest friend is Felicity. The girls are so different but close and the then revolves around them, what happens to them and what they discover. Now is Felicity leaving her family and going back to the town she would rather have forgotten.

Lots of anticipation, psychological thriller, some unsettling themes. I wasn't sure how the then and now narrative linked in to everything and Diamond keeps you guessing throughout. Felicity seems a bit unhinged at times, reckless making you question and wonder what went down all those years ago, it certainly had a profound impact and maybe now she can address it. Some dodgy characters throughout and I found it hard to put it down because I wanted to know what happened, where it was going and if it was all connected. 4/5 for me this time, I am a fan of Diamond's writing, this is a standalone so you can start with this. I look forward to her next whether it is part of the established series or another new set of characters/standalone.
I would thoroughly recommend this as a holiday read - a well developed plot, an intriguing main character in the persona of Felicity and a tense mystery which keeps you guessing right to the end.  One of those books where you want to read a little bit more and don't really want to put it down, because the narrative keeps moving and there is plenty to keep the reader interested.  I enjoyed this and would read more by this author.
One summer. One stranger. One killer…
Two bad things happened that summer:
A stranger arrived. And the first girl disappeared.
In the wake of the crime that rocked her community, Felicity fled, knowing more than she let on.
But sixteen years later, her new life is shattered by the news that a second girl has gone missing in her hometown.
Now Felicity must go back, to face the truth about what happened all those years ago.
Only she holds the answers – and they’re more shocking than anyone could imagine.
The heatwave is back. And so is the killer.
I have loved every single one of Katerina Diamond's novels before and must admit, I was slightly disappointed when this was not another installment in the Grey series.
However, this book had me hooked from the very first chapter. The author made the characters so real and I felt as though they were actually part of my life.
The chapters are very short and the author reveals a little something, but not too much in each one, making you want to read more and more.
The book was full of twists and it comes highly recommended.
Katerina Diamond is becoming a go to author for me!
The beginning of this book will have the reader wondering why Felicity is so compelled to return to her hometown when she learns about a girl who has gone missing. What happened in Felicity's early years that has her almost to the point of agoraphobia when it comes to going outside in the town where she grew up?

We see the teen years of best friends Felicity and Jasmine as told through the eyes of Jasmine, who has the life Felicity always wanted. Until a stranger takes up residency in her parents guesthouse...then things start to go sideways.

The other half of the story is told by Felicity as an adult, and her investigation into the past and present missing persons. Slowly her story is revealed through a series of twists (somewhat predictable, but enjoyable nonetheless!).

This is very different from Woman in the Water, but a great summer read!

Thanks to NetGalley and AvonBooksUK for an advance reader's copy for review.
I’ve loved the Imogen Grey series so far, so was keen to read this standalone by Diamond. It’s a tricky one to review, as there is a lot going on.
Our main character is someone with something to hide. She catches a news report of a girl going missing in Sidmouth, and though she lives in the Lake District she says she has to travel down to sort out things from her past that she thinks are connected to this disappearance. We know no more than that, but we definitely want answers.
Once she arrives in this picturesque town we get a real sense of something hidden, though not enough to help us piece things together with any certainty. I found it odd that people were so keen to spill details of this missing girl to someone they either didn’t know or only vaguely recollected.
While it offered us insight into the narrator, it felt weird to have the split narrative talking about her time in the town as a teenager. We learnt about her friendship with Felicity, the strange events surrounding her teacher and the mysterious Tim who was befriended by her parents though the reasons for this aren’t clear.
As the story progresses it’s apparent that the events of the past are the ones we should be concerned with. If we learn what happened, then the links to the present day will be clearer. When we eventually reach this point it did feel rather abrupt, which jarred a little. It offered some resolution but not quite as I’d hoped for.
The book itself is a read I’d recommend, and I’m grateful to the publishers for letting me read it in advance of publication, but I was hoping for something a little different.
I am a massive fan of the authors Grey and Miles series. Which is dark and twisted. So I couldn’t wait to see what the authors first standalone was like.

The author brings us something rather different with The Heatwave. Which I have to say is utterly brilliant. Having listened to this on audio, once I started I was only mesmerised and couldn’t stop listening to it.

I totally loved the narrator who brings the character’s to life. She was perfect for this story. The more I listened to it the more I wanted to know. I was totally addicted.

Without giving to much away. I loved everything about it….from the setting to the writing style. And not forgetting the ending! I have to say I wasn’t expecting that.

The Heatwave is a stunning crime thriller, full of twists and turns. Which I cannot recommend enough.

Massive thank you to Ellie at Avon for a copy and for the blog tour invite.