Cover Image: Dressed Up 4 Murder

Dressed Up 4 Murder

This was my first read in this series and now I want to start at the beginning. Phee was a fun character as is Streetman. Loved reading about the different costumes each dog wore in this mystery, had a good chuckle over some of them.
The mystery was good with plenty of twists and turns, the characters were likeable and the animals were adorable.  A great read
I love almost everything about this mystery! It is complicated, at times like a jumble of different colored threads from Streetman’s costumes! Twists and turns took us throughout the Valley of the Sun. The characters are a blast!
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this book.

Sophie is visiting her mom when the adorable Streetman goes crazy over a tarp covered grill in the neighbors yard. When he us is it off they quickly find a dead body underneath. Concerned for her safety her mom demands Sophie investigates so with the help of her boyfriend and boss she does just that. The problem is that she finds answers to just About everything but what she is looking for. This is all mixed around some fantastic pet festivals, a move to new shared home with the boyfriend, and life in  retirement community. Makes for a wonderful book that housing want to put down. A must read for cozy fans and dog lovers. I totally loved it so I give it 5/5 stars.
Dressed Up 4 Murder” by J.C. Eaton is the 6th instalment in the "Sophie Kimball Mystery" series. I really enjoy this series and have bought all of them in paperback.

Last one standing is the winner . . .

The holiday season has arrived and bookkeeper/amateur sleuth, Sophie “Phee” Kimball, would love nothing more than to enjoy the comforts of her new home with her detective boyfriend near Arizona’s Sun City West. Instead, her mother Harriet wants to showcase her chiweenie-chihuahua-dachshund Streetman in the Precious Pooches Holiday Extravaganza costume events. The festivities begin in October and end on St. Patrick’s Day—with the winner starring in the St. Pat’s Day parade. But things quickly turn an awful shade of green when Streetman uncovers a dead body under a tarp-covered grill in the neighbor’s yard.

The victim is Cameron Tully, a seafood distributor working out of Phoenix, who died from ingesting a toxic sago palm leaf. Before the police can even find a motive and suspect, another Precious Pooch owner nearly dies from the same poison. With Harriet believing someone’s targeting her and Streetman because of the costume contests, Phee will need a potful of Irish luck to sniff out a killer . .

I found myself engrossed in the story and reading it in one sitting. It was entertaining, full of twists and turns as well as a few surprises.

The mystery is interesting and well plotted, and I loved the characters which are well developed. There is plenty of humour, too with Harriet and Streetman her Chiweenie and the rest of her crew from the Sun City Retirement Community.

I highly recommend this series to all my cozy loving friends.

I requested and received an Advance Reader Copy of this book from Kensington Books and NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my OWN.
Dollycas’s Thoughts

There is always something happening at Sun City West. The new thing is the Precious Pooches Holiday Extravaganza and Harriet Plunkett plans to enter her chiweenie-chihuahua-dachshund Streetman in the event for each holiday starting with Halloween right through St. Patrick’s Day. Her friend Shirley is making his costumes and she knows he is going to win big. Streetman is not thrilled with the costumes at all, he is more concerned with a tarp in the neighbor’s yard.

When Sophie “Phee” Kimball arrives at her mother’s the dog is frantic to go outside. They open the backdoor and Streetman lunges out pulling the leash and Harriet right to the tarp-covered grill where they notice a pair of shoes. When Phee carefully pulls the tarp back they find a man attached to the shoes, but he won’t be grilling anytime soon. Neither woman recognizes the man. He is later identified as Cameron Tully from Phoenix. He is a seafood distributor and he was poisoned by a toxic sago palm leaf.

Police are having a hard time solving the murder but then a woman at a Precious Pooches event almost dies from the same thing. Harriet is afraid she and Streetman could be next. The police finally admit they need help and request Williams Investigations to assist on the case. This means Marshall and Phee are investigating but even they are having trouble. With Harriet nagging them at every move they know they need to solve this case and fast.

These characters are so much fun. You have Harriet and her friends and they are a hoot! You also have the team at Williams Investigations, Nate Williams is a retired detective from Mankato, Minnesota. Augusta keeps the office running and helps with cases too. Phee works for him as a bookkeeper but is turning out to be a great amateur sleuth. When business picked up he lured Marshall, another Mankato detective down to Arizona. Phee was thrilled because she had had a crush on him for years and now they are moving in together.  All these characters are so well developed, I can easily picture each one in my mind clearly. The places and events are described wonderfully too. It was so easy to imagine all the dogs and their owners parading around the park and all the chaos that erupts all around them.

Dog lover that I am Streetman does steal the show for me.

The mystery was a puzzler, with several red herrings. It took some serious digging for Phee to start bring things into focus and then the rest of the clues started to fall into place. I love the couple Marshall and Phee are becoming. They make a great team in all aspects of their life. I really enjoyed they worked together on this case, knowing each other’s strengths. It was a lot of fun following them step by step because I was completely in the dark right up to the reveal.

I have to take a moment to compliment the creativeness of the costumes the authors dreamed up for Shirley to create. Detailed and well-crafted and much more complicated than the one Streetman is wearing on the cover. Each described in vivid detail. The attention to detail the authors bring to these costumes and the whole book overall is what really makes this story and the others in this series must-reads for me.

Dressed Up 4 Murder is entertaining and captivating. The characters are strong and relatable and I can’t wait to see what they get themselves into next.

If you like your cozy mysteries to be filled with humor and a complex mystery that will have you really thinking, this is the perfect book for you.
Sophie “Phee” Kimball has just moved into a new house with her private detective boyfriend, Marshall. She is visiting her mother Harriet in nearby Sun City West, Arizona when her mom's dog discovers a dead body under the neighbor's barbecue grill. They learn the victim is Cameron Tully, a distributor for a local seafood company. Although Sophie is an accountant and not a detective for the agency in which Marshall work, she gets involved in trying to solve the case before the killer strikes again.

This is the sixth book in this fun series. I enjoyed the first book but somehow missed the others. I enjoyed this book so much I plan to go back and read some of the books I've missed. There are a lot of details about life in Sun City as well as the investigation. I like that Phee, Marshall, and their boss Nate work together to find evidence and then share what they've found with each other and trade theories. The book is fast-paced and entertaining. There are more suspects and possible motives than it looked like at first, but Phee refuses to give up.

In addition to the search for the killer, there are light moments with Harriet's dog Streetman that supply plenty of humor. Harriet insists on entering Streetman in a series of holiday-themed dog costume contests. The parade of dogs wearing their elaborate costumes would put a New York runway show to shame! Streetman gets into trouble but the parades as well a trips to the dog park provide Phee with the perfect venues to question witnesses and gather clues.

The investigation gets complicated, but through perseverance, Phee, Marshall, and Nate are able to put all the clues together to solve the case. The book has a cute ending with the mischievous but adorable Streetman getting the last laugh.

I received this book from NetGalley through the courtesy of Kensington Books. The book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.
I love Phee, her mom, Streetman (the dog), and all the secondary characters. Together, they make for a fun and wonderful cozy series. I look forward to reading every book.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. My thoughts and opinions are my own and without bias or favor.
A trip to Sun City Arizona to hang out with Phee and the rest of the gang...yes please! When I first got into town I was excited to hear Phee and Marshall had found a place and were moving in together. Those two kids are so cute together! Phee was filling in me in on all the shenanigans of her mother and her mothers friends in the retirement community. I find them much more amusing then Phee...lol. When Phee told me the latest about the precious pooches holiday extravaganza costume contest that her mom Harriet’s beloved dog streetman was going to take part in ....well it didn’t take much convincing for me to tag along for a visit to her mother's house. Streetman really does make an adorable acorn! Along with being the cutest... he has quite the nose. An innocent walk turned into a nightmare when Streetman uncovered the body of Seafood distributor Cameron Tully under the tarp of Harriet’s neighbors grill. Marshall, Nate, and Phee must help out the Maricopa county sheriff’s office solve this murder before Harriet’s over dramatics cause homeland security from being called in.

My thoughts:
I absolutely love this series!! I love everything about it!! The cover on this book is great. Eaton does an amazing job at character development, and I am a sucker for quirky elderly characters. She pulls it off hook line and sinker (bad pun I know). This book was hysterical...seriously the antics were laugh out loud funny! I hope to be a part of a community just like Harriet’s someday.

I absolutely recommend you take a trip to sun city, and tell them hello from me. You won’t regret it! I know I am anxiously awaiting the next time I can get a visit in!

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank Netgalley, the author J.C. Eaton, and the publisher for this opportunity.
Dressed Up 4 Murder is a cozy mystery set in Arizona.  Phee Kimball is settling in at her new home with her boyfriend, Marshall, who is a detective.  She gets involved in detecting herself after her mother's dog Streetman discovers a body under a neighbor's tarpaulin covered grill. He has been poisoned.  Streetman, a mischievous chiweenie, is scheduled to compete in several holiday theme pet costume contests. When one of the other pet owners ingests the same poison that the neighbor did, Phee and Marshall look for clues to connect the two cases.

I wanted to read Dressed Up 4 Murder because I enjoyed a previous book in this series. I especially love reading about Streetman the chiweenie (dachshund - chihuahua mix), since I love dachshunds and dogs in general.

Phee is a likable and smart character. I enjoy seeing her work to solve cases, especially alongside Marshall.  Their relationship adds another layer to the story.

I also liked the holiday pet parades that were featured through the book. They were a lot of fun. Streetman has a real knack for finding mischief wherever he goes! I have to admit I laughed out loud with his adventure involving a giant inflatable turkey at one of the events.

There were little touches of humor (usually involving Streetman) like this description of the walking map Phee's mother made for him:

"I had completely forgotten about the walking map.  My mother put more effort into Streetman's map than National Geographic did with any of theirs.  She had painstakingly noted every rock, bush, pole, and mailbox he liked to lift his leg on.  In addition, she had circled all of the yards that were off-limits to him and had included anecdotal notes on the bottom of the map with such tidbits as 'Crazy screaming lady will come out of the house if the dog so much as steps foot on her gravel.'" (Kindle location 671)

The mystery in this story was particularly interesting since there were connections between pet parade participants and also a seafood company.  Having two strong mystery leads led to extra detecting for Phee.

I recommend Dressed Up 4 Murder, and this series, for fans of cozy mysteries featuring dogs. This is a fun series and I already look forward to the next book by J.C. Eaton.
It’s another zany adventure for Phee, her mother Harriet, and her private detective co-workers in Dressed Up 4 Murder.

You would expect retirement to be a time of quiet reflection on a life well-lived. But in Sun City West, the giant planned retirement community in Arizona, you would be wrong. Strongman, Harriet’s Chiweenie, finds a dead body in the absent neighbor’s yard. At least he is from out-of-town. But his murder method is uniquely Arizonian. [Since I live close by, I looked it up and the method used is valid.] In the meantime, a snobby purebred dog owner is ruining the local dog show for Streetman. In addition, Phee and her boyfriend are moving into their first house together.

Harriet and Phee’s lives are a whirlwind of zany adventures. Harriet and Streetman are so realistic that I want to move to Sun City West to hang out with them. It is also nice to see Phee moving forward with her life with Marshall. The mystery was a real challenge to solve too. Dressed Up 4 Murder is a 5-star must read for cozy fans looking for an outstanding combination of mystery, romance and humor!

Thanks to Kensington Books and NetGalley for a copy in exchange for my honest review.
Ohh this was just too stinking cute with the Holiday Extravaganza costumes and parade and the dogs being involved in  the body mystery. I almost always adore any story with a doggie in it but this one was just over the top fun and I enjoyed that the culprit wasn't as obvious as most are.
Another entertaining book in a great series. The way a pet costume contest for senior citizens is woven through the book will have you laughing out loud. Pfee is a main character you can’t help but root for. Two thumbs up!
Phee is an accountant and that isn't the kind of job that would seem to be all that exciting. When the job is being the accountant for a PI it might be a bit more interesting. In the world of Phee, dead bodies come her way with too much frequency. This time, her mother's pup, a Chiweenie, Streetman, is the one to find the dead body. It's under the neighbor's BBQ tarp and he was poisoned. When a second person, a woman from the dog park, is also poisoned but survives, Phee is asked to see what she can find out. As the poisonings are being investigated, Phee's mother, Harriett, is laser focused on getting Streetman entered in the Precious Pooches Holiday Extravaganza - a contest in three parts complete with elaborate costuming. Harriett is determined that Streetman will be the winner.
Between the homicide investigating and the antics of the pooch extravaganza entrants the laughs are plentiful. The senior ladies of the Booked 4 Murder book club are a hoot. The puzzle is full of red herrings, twists and turns and it all makes for a great read. The perfect escape on a cold wet winter day.
My thanks to the publisher Kensington and to NetGalley for giving me an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
This is Book six in the "Sophie Kimball Mystery Series . I have read the entire series and found each book delightful and fun to read. I love returning to this series to Sophie, her hysterically funny Mother and the retirement community they live in. Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the opportunity. My review opinions are my own.  I love that the author features seniors in this series as part of the narrative and important to the community. Very appreciated by this senior reader.

In this next in series we find our intripd protagonist Sophie working for a investigative firm alongside her  adorable boyfriend Marshall who is a former police officer. When  her Mother's adorable  Chiweenie, Streetman takes off across a street and finds a dead body Sophie and Marshall are asked to assist the local police on the case as they have a good reputation for solving murders.  The fun begins with her Mom and seniors involved and Sophie on the case determined to find the answers.

i love this series for the great charcters, the setting of a senior community and Sophie who is the heart of the series with humor, fun and great investigation skills. I hope this series will continue for many years to come. .Well done to the author. I look forward to the next in series.
Sketchy seafood and a canine costumes is a backdrop for the latest Sophie "Phee" Kimball mystery. This series has me laughing out loud, between Phee's Mom (Harriet Plunkett) and her dog Streetman and the Booked 4 Murder book group ladies these books are definite page-turners. It starts out with Streetman finding a dead body under the grill in the neighbor's yard, so now Harriet is sure that Streetman is well on his way to being a cadaver dog. Not to mention that Harriet is going to drive Phee crazy until Nate Williams (Phee's former coworker from Minnesota) and Marshall Gregory (also a former coworker and now her boyfriend) of William's Investigations sort the matter out since Harriet is sure the local police detectives are no different than the Keystone Cops. Truth be told, it does seem that they need to consult with William's Investigations more often than not. There are multiple suspects and multiple plots and in the middle of it all is a series of three canine holiday-related fashion shows that could rival the pomp and circumstance of Milan, not to mention the attitudes of the competitors. Thank goodness Phee is level headed and has a very supportive boyfriend to live with who is completely open to her brainstorming the case and coming up with very viable leads. I very much like the different qualities of the characters as well as the interpersonal interactions. This is a light-hearted and fun book much like the ones that came before it.
Amusing and charming cozy mystery. The dog contest adds to the fun. Several possible culprits and reasons for the crimes. Not all is as obvious as one thinks. I look forward to reading the next one in this delightful series.
Dressed Up 4 Murder by J. C. Eaton is the 6th book in the Sophie Kimball Mystery series, and another fun read.  Sophie, “Phee” Kimball has moved in with boyfriend private detective boyfriend, Marshall, and things are going well.  When Phees mom, Harriet, dog sniffs out a dead body, the mystery begins.  Harriet is also showing her dog, Streetman, in the Precious Pooches Holiday Extravaganza.  I love this series, this book made me laugh out loud, it was so funny. Once I started this book, I could not stop reading it until I was done. Not only is this book an exciting mystery but also very refreshing and a quick read. If you love funny cozy mysteries, which are my favorite, I strongly recommend this book/series, you won't be disappointed.
Dressed Up 4 Murder is the sixth book in J.C. Eaton’s (the husband and wife writing team of Ann I. Goldfarb and James E. Clapp) Sophie Kimball Mystery series and is a well-written, steady paced and humorous whodunit, with well-developed and likable (and often quirky) characters.  This is a fast and fun read with lots of suspects, twists and turns, and red herrings to keep the reader engaged and guessing. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading fun, well-crafted cozy mysteries.

Sophie ‘Phee’ Kimball is a divorced, middle-aged mother of an adult daughter, who moved from Mankato, Minnesota to Peoria, Arizona.  She’s the bookkeeper for her friend’s, Nate Williams, private investigation firm. Nate was a Mankato PD detective and brought in another Mankato PD investigator, Marshall Gregory.  Unknown to each other, Phee and Marshall were attracted to each other, and now that he’s relocated to Arizona, they’ve been pursuing a relationship and are moving in together.  Phee’s mother, Harriet Plunkett, lives in a retirement community in Sun City West, Arizona with her Chiweenie (chihuahua-dachshund), Streetman.  Harriet, who entered Streetman in the Precious Pooches Holiday Extravaganza, is determined he will outshine the other competitors, and her friend, Shirley Johnson, who is a talented seamstress, makes elaborate costumes for him.  While Phee is visiting with her mother, Streetman makes it known that he wants to go outside.  Once outside, he heads directly to the neighbor’s patio, tugs at a tarp that is covering their grill and finds a body.  The victim, who was poisoned, is identified as Cameron Tully, a seafood distributor.  The sheriff’s department, which is stretched thin, is baffled by the case, and they hire Williams Investigations to help with the investigation.  People tend to open up to Phee, so she helps Nate and Marshall track down the killer.

I received an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it.
J.C. Eaton's latest addition to the PI cozy “Sophie Kimball Mystery” series,  Dressed Up 4 Murder from Kensington Books will transport readers into the world of obsessive dog owners. Phee has begun to think her mother has lost her mind where her Streetman is concerned, and she may not be wrong.  No matter what, this book will delight animal lovers, and at the same time, terrify them.

This PI cozy gives readers a glance at a world that most think of as exciting and adventurous but, in reality, is mostly paperwork and tedium. And the dog competition business is the one that has all the action and excitement, not to mention the backstabbing and danger!

Phee and company are wonderfully charming characters that get more complex and lifelike with each new addition to the series. Working at a PI firm as an accountant shouldn’t involve getting involved in a murder investigation, but somehow, Phee keeps finding herself smack in the middle of one every time a body shows up. This time her mom finds the body, and Phee and the firm end up unmasking a very unexpected killer.

There are plenty of red herrings, twists and turns, action, and animal antics that will keep readers laughing and glued to their seats until the last page is turned.  Phee and friends solve the murder and catch the bad guy in this enthralling PI cozy. I am happy to recommend Dressed Up 4 Murder and the entire series.