Cover Image: Murder in an Irish Cottage

Murder in an Irish Cottage

Princess Fuzzypants here:  This story started out with a bang.  A woman is  determined to prove there is no such thing as fairies to stop the villagers from wanting to tear down her home.  She decides to sleep out in the meadow but ends up running screaming back to her home.  The next morning she is found dead in some bizarre circumstances.  It turns out she is Macdara’s aunt and he enlists Siobhan, his new fiancée, to go with him to calm his cousin and help bring the killer to justice..
While the story builds slowly, with tons of quirky characters and lots of myths and superstitions, it does have an exciting ending where the reader goes from suspect to suspect trying to figure out who did it and why.  There are some odd pairings and lots of secrets, lies and twists.  There also might be treasure involved in all of this.  And the fairies had nothing to do with it.
Four purrs and one paw up.
Part of long running series. Set in small village in Ireland.
Cozy mystery., Good chance to visit old.charactes.
My rating: 3 of 5 stars, I mostly liked it.

Book 5 in the series.

I'd read the first two books, and the novella in Christmas Cocoa Murder and man, there's a huge jump in relationships from 4.5 to book 5! To the point where I was a bit baffled, because I'm obviously missing a whole heck of a lot of the story.

The story itself was fun, and I enjoyed the mystery, but I really wish there'd been another book or at least another novella in between to explain how we got here, unless something else is explained in books 3 or 4. Anyway, I'm going to go back and read them, in case I missed something.

Do yourself a favor, and don't start here! There's a lot of characters to keep straight, and some back story that left me feeling a bit lost.
This is the fifth entry into the Irish Village mysteries by O’Connor. I would say if you liked the others (and you should start from the beginning), you’ll enjoy this one as well. A few too many references to the main character’s “brood,” but a comforting read nonetheless.
Fiancés, Family, and  Fairies, and all at the same time. Oh my! Macdara is called in by his blind cousin to investigate the death of her Mom. That same death is being blamed on the fair folk rather than a person of flesh and bone easily found in the village near where the incident took place. Such superstitious beliefs are why cousin Jane does not even trust the local police force to get to the bottom of this mystery. Shiobhan, being the excellent guarda that she is will not hesitate to help Macdara as well as keeping an open mind about who or why the killing took place regardless of the ties that bind and sometimes blind. One does not have to be familiar with this storyline to be able to enjoin this next installment. I have only read the previous book in the series and it has no bearing on this one other than the engagement proposal. In addition to giving this Yank a look into the country Irish ways it also inspired me to make several Irish dishes to enjoy while reading the book. There are several possible suspects from the neighbors to a town councilman. Was it unhappy fairies or a greedy horde hunter?
Murder in an Irish Cottage is the fifth installment of The Irish Village Mysteries by Carlene O’Connor. Siobhán is secretly engaged to the dashing Macdara Flannery, and wants to keep it under wraps for a while longer. However, somehow word gets out and her family – five siblings – learn of the engagement, which causes some problems. Since Macdara will soon be family, and Siobhán is a good detective in her own right, she travels to a neighboring village with him to solve the murder of his Aunt, Ellen Delaney. Aunt Ellen’s cottage is the talk of the village; most inhabitants believe in Irish folklore, and it is said that it cursed because it was built on the fairy path. Others, previous to Aunt Ellen have died mysteriously in the cottage due to the fairies. But Cousin Jane, who is blind, is distraught and, along with Siobhán believes that it is an evil human, rather than evil fairies who killed her mother.

Anyone familiar with The Irish Village Mysteries, knows that the characters are very Irish, the setting is very Irish, and the scenarios are very Irish. This makes for fun reading, and something a little different. The character’s names are Irish, and readers will have to look up the pronunciation of them to read the story properly. The story flows well, and the suspense builds, in this cozy mystery. Siobhán is a good protagonist, and she is likeable and believable. This novel illustrates the importance of family in Irish culture and is a nice change.

Siobhán is famous around her area for her delicious Irish brown bread, but none of the books include the recipe, and it is frustrating to those of us who would like to sample brown bread while reading the mysteries. All told, however, this is a fun cozy mystery and also a fast read.

Special thanks to NetGalley for supplying a review copy of this book.
I LOVE this series! Not only does it bring small town Ireland into your home, it reminds us that it doesn't matter where you live, small towns have quirky characters! in time for 'Irish month', this book adds in some Irish lore about the 'wee folk' and how superstitions still abound, and can be found in modern life. In this village however, things are not what they seem- from Siobhán and Macdara, to his relatives, to the townsfolk. Unraveling the red herrings, may just cost someone they love harm, so time is of the essence in this story! It's a quick read and so cahrming, if you haven't read the other book sin the series, you'll be rushing to do so! In fact, I'll make that suggestion- consider this series for YOUR 'irish month' reading!
When Macdara gets a call from his cousin saying she and his aunt need help, he and Siobhan head to the town where they are. When they arrive, they find Macdara's has died and the townsfolk are blaming it on the fairy-folk. Can Siobhan and Macdara weed through the untruths and the superstitions to get to the truth?

Love this series! Siobhan, Macdara, and all of Siobhan's siblings make this a fun and entertaining cozy mystery series.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. My thoughts and opinions are my own and without bias or favor.
Murder in an Irish Cottage is the 5th instalment in the Irish Village Mysteries by Carlene O'Connor.

In a remote—and superstitious—village in County Cork, Ireland, Garda Siobhán O'Sullivan must solve a murder where the prime suspects are fairies . . .

Family is everything to Siobhán: her five siblings; her dear departed mother for whom the family business, Naomi's Bistro, is named; and now her fiancé, Macdara Flannery. So precious is her engagement that Siobhán wants to keep it just between the two of them for a little longer.

But Macdara is her family, which is why when his cousin Jane frantically calls for his help, Siobhán is at his side as the two garda rush from Kilbane to the rural village where Jane and her mother have recently moved. Unfortunately, tragedy awaits them. They find Jane, who is blind, outside the cottage, in a state. Inside, Aunt Ellen lies on her bed in a fancy red dress, no longer breathing. A pillow on the floor and a nearby teacup suggest the mode of death to their trained eyes: the woman has been poisoned and smothered. Someone wanted to make sure she was dead. But who?

Devout believers in Irish folklore, the villagers insist the cottage is cursed—built on a fairy path. It turns out Ellen Delaney was not the first to die mysteriously in this cottage. Although the townsfolk blame malevolent fairies, Siobhán and Macdara must follow the path of a murderer all too human—but just as evil . . .

I really enjoy books set in Ireland and this doesn’t disappoint with the setting and descriptions drawing you in (making you want to fly off to the Emerald Isle).  The story was well written and I really liked the main character, Siobhán. She's smart, easy to relate to, and I enjoyed getting to know her and her siblings along with Dara and his family.

The mystery was entertaining with all the fairy lore and full of twists, turns and red herrings galore that I found I couldn’t put it down.

I highly recommend this series to all my friends who love cozies set in Ireland.

I requested and received an Advanced Readers Copy from Kensington Books and NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Book 5 has the reader thoroughly enthralled with all things fairies--the little people themselves, fairy rings, fairy trees, and all the lore, fables, tales, and ballyhoo that goes with those unique legends in the Emerald Isle.

Siobhan O'Sullivan is now Garda O'Sullivan, engaged to fellow Garda Macdara Flannery (Dara). Siobhan (shi-vawn) has been part of the O'Sullivan Six managing Naomi's Bistro since the death of their parents. Looking forward to some private time with Dara, however, is interrupted when he informs her plans have changed as he got an urgent call from his cousin Jane in Ballysiogdun regarding his aunt. Jane, although blind, discovered her mother deceased, obviously not a natural death.

Having no shortages of people who actively disliked his aunt Ellen, it appears the local garda wants to zero in on Jane being the most obvious as she won't produce evidence of her whereabouts. In this tiny but quaint, quintessential Irish village, the superstitions run rampant. It's not the first time this cottage has been the location of mysterious deaths--all attributed to it's being in a fairy path between two fairy rings. So much shared folklore here, fascinating history dating centuries, and attributable supernatural events.

The author has a beautiful writing style invoking unusual descriptions with an easy swing into the clue that naturally leads to the next revelation. There is enough here to delight most cozy readers: a great mystery, a touch of romance, family relationships, intelligent dialogue. The well-plotted storyline slips into a conclusion that neatly satisfies the loose threads. While I suspected the perp (and was correct), there was more to the ending and, in the meantime, provided a delightful literary romp.

I received this digital ebook download from the publisher through NetGalley and greatly appreciated the opportunity to read and review. A series I look forward to giving me the Irish experience albeit vicariously. Looking forward to Book 6. Totally recommended.
Maybe this would have been 5 stars if I had read others in the series. The plot is fine as a stand-alone, but I did feel a little at sea with some of the personal/family relationships. No matter--I'll just have to go back and start from book one, as I enjoyed this one a lot! Fairies, a future sister-in-law as a suspect, a treasure horde, a superstitious village, and all the emotions, jealousies, and desires of human beings--along with a smart main character working to solve a mysterious murder. Excellent! This one ticks the boxes for me--a very enjoyable read!

Review copy provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
This odd one if the best in the cozy mystery genre.... always a good story with great character development
Murder in an Irish Cottage by Carlene O'Connor is the latest in the series of Irish mysteries featuring Siobhan O'Sullivan, Irish garda (police officer) and her fiancé Macdara Flannery, also a garda. They have yet to announce their engagement at Siobhan's request. No one is really sure why, although she has her reasons. All of a sudden they are called to a nearby village. Dara's aunt has been killed. It is not their jurisdiction, but it is family. They arrived to hear quite a story. It was fairies, they were told. The cottage she lived in was in the middle of a fairy path. The fairies had killed before, they said. Several times, they said. Now, Siobhan, being an Irish lass, gave the fairies their due, but she did not believe they had committed this crime. She could not investigate, officially, but she could not leave it alone. No one, not one, was telling the truth and it was making her nuts.

This is the best series, although this was not the best of the series. Siobhan is overly responsible, having raised her gang of siblings since her parents' death. She is a bloodhound when it comes to hunting out the criminal. Dara's mother who doesn't see her as the perfect wife for her darling son frightens her. She is an interesting and valuable character. Dara is not as clearly written but we know he is more easy-going than Siobhan and he lets her go her way, respecting her abilities. He knows his mother is a handful but he thinks all will be well with her and his marriage. He does have a mild jealous streak where Siobhan is concerned, but manages it well, like everything else he does. This is a very character driven book with a decent mystery driving the plot. I enjoy reading about Ireland and so am drawn to it the Irish Village Mysteries. You will be, too. I recommend it.

I received a free ARC of Murder in an Irish Village from Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions and inferences contained herein are solely my own. #netgalley  #murderinanirishcottage
Title:  Murder in an Irish Cottage

Author: Carlene O'Connor

Series: Irish Village Mystery book 5

Chapters:33

Pages:296

Genre: Cozy Mystery

Rating: 3 stars

Publisher: Kensington Books

Murder in an Irish Cottage by the Carlene O'Connor is the 5th book in the Irish Village Mystery series.  It's not my favorite of the series but it was till enjoyable.  I do love reading about Siobhan O'Sullivan's journey from restaurant owner and amateur detective to Garda Ireland's name for police.  But I half to say the mysteries don't seem as much fun now that Siobhan doesn't have to sneak to solve them.  But I keep reading em because I want to see where her relationship with Macdara goes.

I am also looking forward to the next book in the Irish Village Mystery series, and anything else that Carlene writes.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
This is a series that has never let me down. Siobhan O'Sullivan has been head of her family since the loss of their parents and she also keeps things going with the family pub. While this entry works as a standalone, starting with the first book, Murder in a Irish Village, will show just how strong this young woman is. She has joined the Garda and is engaged to another Garda officer, Macdara flannery, a joy she keeps hidden so as not to spoil any of it. They will have to tell their superiors at the station and their families and then things become complicated. For now it's their treasure to enjoy. One morning while getting her family sorted for the day and opening Naomi's Bistro, named after their mother, Dara shows up and asks her to accompany him to a remote village. He has received a call from his cousin Jane who is legally blind and lives with her mother in a village cottage. As they make their way to find out what has happened and how his aunt has died, Dara fills her in on the odd ways of the locals - they believe in fairies and not the nice ones. These are the ones you would want to check under the bed and in the closet before going to bed. These fairies are none to happy that the cottage Dara's aunt inhabits in on their fairy path. As soon as they arrive, Siobhan and Dara are met with a group of locals demanding that the cottage be bulldozed right this minute if not sooner. Which one of them took matters into their own hands and started the process by killing the inhabitant of said cottage?
Filled with fairy lore, I was enthralled from the very start. It sure did leave me with a new perspective of fairies. I'll give them a very wide berth if I ever happen to encounter one. The mystery, the setting, twist, turns and red herrings and most of all the main characters along with learning something new to me left me with feeling that I was sorry it ended and I have to wait for the next visit with Siobhan and Dara. I know I will not be disappointed.
My thanks to the publisher Kensington and to NetGalley for giving me an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
Garda Siobhan O’Sullivan has big news to share with her family, but before she can figure out how to break the news of her engagement, she gets a call from Macdara Flannery, also a Garda officer. His cousin Jane Delaney had called him very upset, and he asked Siobhan to join him on a trip to the tiny village of Ballysiogdun to collect Jane and find out what happened.

Although Jane is an adult, she is legally blind, so she was still living at home with her mother. She’d been out of town for a conference, and when she’d returned home she knew immediately that something was wrong. That was when she’d called Macdara.

When Siobhan and Macdara make their way to the cottage where Jane and her mother Ellen lived, it didn’t take them long to see the signs of foul play. A broken window, the posed body of Macdara’s aunt, and a single gold coin on the floor.

But all the villagers could talk about was what had happened overnight. Some had seen bright lights. Some had heard a banshee scream. Some saw a lone figure running. But they all know exactly what had happened: the nearby fairies had expressed their unhappiness once again by taking the life of a resident of the cottage. The cottage Ellen and Jane had lived in was right between two fairy trees, and everyone knows how the Good People (the fairies) didn’t like for anyone to be in their way.

But Siobhan doesn’t believe that. While she has respect for the stories of Irish elders, she knows that whatever it was that people had heard that night, or what they thought they had seen, it was a flesh and blood human being who murdered Ellen. And that killer was still in their midst.

Murder in an Irish Cottage is the fifth book in the Irish Village Mystery series by Carlene O’Connor, adn anyone who’s had the good fortune to read any of the wonderful books in this series knows that Garda Siobhan O’Sullivan will not be stopped until she gets her man.

I love the Irish Village Mysteries. I have long been a fan of Siobhan and her fiery Irish determination to set things right. I love that she works as a police officer while also helping her siblings run their late mother’s cafe, especially with her being the one to go in every morning and bake their signature brown bread. There is so much love in this series for family and for truth, each book is completely charming to me from the first page to the last.

I especially loved Murder in an Irish Village for its talk of the legend of the fairies. The fairy trees and rings, the beauty of the countryside, the storytelling—it made me want to take a trip there more than ever. But until I can make that happen, I can read the books in this series and feel for a few hours that I’ve gotten a taste of Ireland and its people.

Galleys for Murder in an Irish Cottage were provided by Kensington Books through NetGalley, with many thanks, but I was also lucky enough to win a copy through a Goodreads giveaway.
This is the 5th "Irish Village" Mystery by author Carlene O'Connor.  I have read the entire series and highly recommend  this charming cozy mystery series.  Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the opportunity. My review opinions are my own.

In this next in series our intripd protagonist is off on a journey with her fiancee Macdara to a nearby village after he receives a concerning call from a relative. Upon arrival in Ballysiogdun they discover his aunt dead in her cottage and Jane, who is blind in the front. Macdara and Siobhan realize this was a  murder and begin to investigate together piecing together clues and testimony from Jane even though Macdara cannot officially be on the case. As they interview the townspeople they find hostilities run deeply side by side with superstition .

I loved the well crafted mystery here amid the townspeople.  The clues abound and the sleuth was pleasing to conclusion. The supporting charcters as always are fun and add to the narrative.  The charming aspect of this series as always is the Irish folklore and culture.  A outstanding next in series . I look forward to the next in series.
This is the first book in the series I've read but had no trouble following along, although understanding some of the family dynamics would be easier having read a previous book. I love books set in Ireland and this one didn't disappoint, especially because some folklore was woven all through the story. The characters and how they interacted was interesting, particularly as it related to their beliefs regarding fairies.  Siobhan is clever at putting disparate and seemingly insignificant clues together and seeing the overall picture and isn't afraid to risk a friendship when she knows she's right.  I will have to start at the beginning now and catch up.

I received an advance copy via NetGalley and this is my honest review.
For me Carlene O'Connor's latest in her An Irish Village Mystery series was perfection!  I just love Siobhan and the whole surrounding cast of characters in 'Murder in an Irish Cottage.'  The entire situation was entirely believable as
Siobhan, during her time off from the Garda, helps Dara to solve the mystery surrounding the murder of his aunt.  There is always a piquancy of Irish lore in the author's writings, as well as beautiful and evocative prose.  Having experienced profound loss of my own, I was especially touched by her words: "Until one experienced a profound loss of their own it was impossible to explain that sorrow never vanishes.  It was a war fought not in long, draw-out battles, but in the everyday, unexpected moments." I love and highly recommend this series, and can't wait for more!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.  The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
Murder in an Irish Cottage earns 5/5 Fairy Paths...Engaging Cozy!

The fairies did it! Charlene O’Connor once again has penned a marvelous, entertaining cozy mystery set on the Emerald Isle. Siobhán O’Sullivan is looking forward to a break from her garda duties, but obligations with family and the family’s bistro won’t make it much of a vacation. However, her fiancé Macdara Flannery has received a frantic call from his cousin. The two rush to the remote village of Ballysiogdun only to find his aunt murdered and his cousin, who is blind, standing nearby. They’re out of jurisdiction, but that doesn’t stop them from taking crime scene photos, gathering clues, and unofficially asking questions, but answers don’t come easy. The victim had her own issues, there seemed no love lost between the victim and the villagers, and sergeant in charge does not want their assistance. But of course, it doesn’t stop Siobhán. Greed. Infidelity. Malice. Murder. Fairies. Brilliant!

O’Connor’s writing style is entertaining, and I’m an eager fan of this Irish Village Mystery series. This fifth book may be my favorite. Using a third-person narrative to create the marvelous lush setting and likable, solemn, and suspicious characters with descriptive language and varies personalities and tone through expressive dialogue kept me entertained and totally engaged. Incorporating fascinating Irish folklore and legends about the fairies was unique and sent me exploring outside sources for more information. Lots of misdirection, twists, and dead ends challenged my ability to figure out the mystery, but the reveal, murderer, and motive made a satisfying conclusion. Siobhán and Dara continue their romance, slowly, but they do work well as a team. I loved it! No bonuses included in this cozy. No recipes sharing Irish cuisine or additional information on the folklore used in the mystery. However, it didn’t effect my total enjoyment!