Eight Princesses and a Magic Mirror

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Apr 2020

Thank you NetGalley and publishers for an ARC. All opinions are my own.

This is a very creative and original story. The magic mirror strings along all the stories with incredible, strong, smart princesses. I really enjoyed this and was inspired by the strong leads!
An enchantress uses her magic mirror to determine what makes a princess.

This is a unique collection of fairy tale stories with new princesses we haven't met before. The princesses in the book are brave, fierce, loyal and loving with dreams of their own. The illustrations are beautiful.
This book featured 8 different stories. My favorite was the last one! The illustrations in this book were astonishing.
Earc from netgalley.

this was such a fun book! I loved all the stories and how they were tied together, and with the addition of a crocodile, this is one of the best books like this I have read.
This is not so much a retelling of tired old princess stories, though it does take on the Fairy Tale mantle. The stories are told in the fairy tale style, but these are princesses we have never met before.

The framing of these stories of eight princesses through the ages, is that an Enchantress wants to know what gifts to give to her goddaughter, and the best way to do it, is to find out about other princesses and what makes the they way they are.

So, she takes her magic mirror, makes it into a compact one, and sends it out into the world to be with these princesses.

Sometimes they are Changlings. Sometimes they are displaced Russian princesses running from the Russian revolution and hiding in Paris. Sometimes they are simply girls named Princess living in a block of flats.

It is a charming way to see what makes a good leader, what makes an interesting human being. And so, we learn lessons from each story.

It isn’t too heavy handed, though at times you expect to learn a lesson.

Interesting take on what makes a princesses.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
What it takes to be a good princess? If it’s about to duchess the answer is easy: Don’t act like Meghan and took the dear prince away from his ancestors!

I’m a fairy godmother of two beautiful twin girls who were six and I enjoyed my time to read this book aloud to them. Those remarkable illustrations, fairy tales and folks waltzing between the chapters, remarkable, riveting and capturing story-telling made me wish this amazing book could turn into animated series!

This is different experience for me. Reading is ageless and the best thing about it sharing with the stories with your loved ones so they can pass them to the next generations.
I’m looking forward its release date so I buy several copies and share it with mothers, daughters and who still knows the values and magical touch of fairy tales.

Special thanks to NetGalley and W.W. Norton& Company/Norton Young Readers for sharing this fantastic ARC copy with me. And I want to congratulate Natasha Farrant for her incredible creative soul and Lydia Corry for her amazing illustrations.
A delight! Fairytales for the modern girl. What does it mean to be a princess, a lady, yourself? Analyzed in a beautifully diverse collection.
One of my favorite reads of the year so far! Eight princesses nests nine stories within each other, creating a multicultural tapestry of princesses that defy the passive ribbons-and-curls assumptions about the role. The eARC was black and white so I wasn't able to fully enjoy what I suspect will be gorgeous illustrations. I will be buying a copy of this for both myself, my library, and several young people who I hold close to my heart.
I received a free digital review copy through NetGalley. This is great for fairy tale fans. Good for read alouds and independent reading.
I was drawn to this book's appealing cover and its promise of interesting tales inside.  Indeed, readers will enjoy eight stories about modern, bold young princesses along with beautiful illustrations.  Plus, there is a magic mirror; all in all a fun read and a Guardian book of 2019.

The author draws readers in in the first short chapter of the book that is written in a familiar fairy tale style.  In it, an enchantress is asked to be a godmother and realizes that she needs to figure out the best attributes for a princess.  The answers she receives do not seem adequate so, with the help of a magic mirror, she goes on a quest to learn more and the stories begin...

In the first, a princess's sister is ill.  Though the palace is filled with knights, none are willing or brave enough to seek the witch who might provide a cure.  So instead, a princess who needs to tie her glasses on with string, is the one to go on a quest.  What will happen?  Feminist adults will enjoy what does and the encouragement that is given to a girl to be strong and to believe.  So it goes from there for the rest of the tales until the final one in which a building project is successfully scuppered in order to save a garden. Throughout all of the stories the mirror is a constant as the reader learns about the qualities that a princess requires.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this fun and empowering take on the fairly tale in exchange for an honest review.