Cover Image: Boyfriend Material

Boyfriend Material

I nearly didn't finish this book.  I was so turned off by the behavior of the main character that I just didn't think I could stick with it, and I am so very glad that I did. Otherwise, I would have missed out on one of the must fun books I read this year.

This book is just wonderful.  Funny, endearing, tear-jerking, and lovely.   Well developed characters that grab you by the hand and take you along for a bumpy ride.

I recommend it to anyone, but especially those looking for LGBTQ, contemporary romance, humor, or family drama.

4.5/5 stars
A complimentary copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

This was cute! And also dramatic!  I wasn't expecting the story to unfold the way it did though I shouldn't be surprised because Alexis Hall is very good about giving the reader the full spectrum of emotion - comedy to crying. :D  Though I didn't actually cry, it was still hard to see these characters struggle.

Luc is trying to save his job and clean up his image. Oliver is trying to find a buffer between him and his parents. They decide to help each other out by being fake boyfriends but thing get complicated when FEELINGS get involved!  I really, really, really like Oliver.  He is super adorable and his button up attitude just made me love him more because I knew he needed it and also needed to be set free so he can be himself. Luc helps with that, and Oliver helps Luc not to be so, so, well, not to be so stressed and worried about what people think about him.  Luc's father is a famous rock star who abandoned him when he was a kid, and suddenly shows back up in his life, creating all kinds of crap drama for Luc.  But with Oliver's help he manages to work his way through that drama and not break down when the shit hits the fan with dear old dad.  What a wanker!

Anyway, Luc and Oliver start to have feelings and kind of agree to try and have a real relationship, sort of - it's complicated.  I enjoyed reading about them falling in love and chasing after each other.  That was some dedication on Luc's part, whew!  These characters are nice and sweet and loving; I really liked them and would love to see them again.  The ending was a little less than I wanted; I would have at least like to have seen Luc and Oliver go back up to Luc's flat to see if Priya (Luc's friend) would let them in, lol, since Luc didn't have his key.

Overall a very cute story and I do recommend.  4 stars

P.S. There is kind of a lot of telling not showing, but there is still a lot of story to enjoy.
I received a complimentary copy of Boyfriend Material by Alexis Hall from Sourcebooks Casablanca through Netgalley. All opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. Boyfriend Material came out in July 2020!

Luc is in the unfortunate position of being quasi-famous. As the adult son of two rock stars, he finds himself subjected to public scrutiny and paparazzi capturing and sharing his most embarrassing moments. When one such incident causes him to lose a ton of donors for the charity he works for, his boss tells him he needs to find a respectable boyfriend and clean up his image for their upcoming charity event if he wants to keep his job. Oliver is the perfect solution. He's a barrister, a vegetarian, and generally respectable. Luckily, Oliver also needs a date for a family event and is willing to pretend to be Luc's boyfriend until the dust has settled. Although they have nothing in common, Luc and Oliver's fake relationship begins to feel very real.

I really enjoyed Boyfriend Material! Luc and Oliver are complex and entirely loveable. I ended up actually listening to this one on audio and I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good audiobook! Boyfriend Material uses the fake dating trope really well. The way their fake relationship slowly became something real felt natural even though it was a bumpy road. This is a very British romantic comedy and it definitely made me laugh quite a bit. Although it is a comedy, Boyfriend Material still deals with some heavy issues like complicated family relationships and past trauma. I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in a gay romantic comedy!
I really enjoyed this book.
It has everything a romcom should have!
I laughed out loud a bunch of times and I liked the slow burn romance. The writing was good and I enjoyed all the English slang.

It took me a lot longer than normal to read it though, I do think there was some scenes we could have done without.
That’s what stops me from giving it 5 stars.

I also felt like the ending was a bit rushed, I wanted to know more.
Overall I really liked the book and look forward to more by this author.
This was the best book I've read this year, hands down. Alexis Hall is able to infuse such a lighthearted fun into his every word, and I was in desperate need of that this year. His dialogue is so funny and genuine, and his two main characters are so sincere and well-rounded, and feel like actual people. I loved all the pop-culture references, and I loved being inside Luc's head. I cannot wait for Hall's next book!

Side Note: I reread this as an audiobook and is there any accent that Joe Jameson cannot do??

Thank you so much to Alexis Hall, Sourcebooks Casablanca, and NetGalley for sending me the eARC in exchange for an honest review.
LOVE!!
This was such a cute read and it made me laugh and smile in nearly every chapter.
Great cast of characters, and love that the two mains both had great character development.
I think I had an unfair expectation of this book because I loved Red, White, and Royal Blue so much and I was hoping this would be similar. While I think the story is cute, I don't think the romance between Lucien and Oliver was as well done. I think they were both great characters and I loved them, but they didn't have as much chemistry as I wanted.
A funny British humour filled book with fake dating, rockstar dads and terrible jokes. Definitely recommend..
This book was just charming and lovely. I want to read it again for the first time. .........................
I received this book from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

I went into this sort of expecting a british Red, White and Royal Blue. And while similar because they’re both gay adult contemporaries, I ended up being surprised but pleased to discover this delves a little deeper. It’s still largely lighted hearted and it’s a lot of fun, but there’s also moments that challenge gaslighting and the pressures of being famous (or fame adjacent!)

Luc is trying to save his reputation, and Oliver just wants a date to his parents party. I secretly love a fake dating trope and this didn’t disappoint. Though I desperately wanted Oliver to loosen up a bit for the first half - we eventually see him soften and get some insight into him which was lovely. Plus him being uptight really leant into that trope hard! Though as I often do with romances, I was yelling at the book for these boys to just TALK. OMG. 😂

Romance wise it was pretty cute, and I liked that it was a hopeful wrap up, while not completely tidying it all away. It felt honest to who the characters were.

Good fun, and a lovely m/m contemporary read, with fab British humour. 4 stars.

I will say that because Harriet is so dark, I possibly didn’t quite connect as much as I wanted. And as much as I really enjoyed the end, the first main twist (while necessary for the story) didn’t quite work for me as it felt quite sudden?

Those are why I gave it 3.5 stars. It’s definitely still fab, and I will be recommended it - especially for those looking for a spooky book this month.
Boyfriend Material was honestly one of the best and most fun books I have read all year. It is a clever, hilarious, and moving slow burn queer romance full of delightful banter. It made me genuinely laugh out loud with no one around. The main characters are fully realized and incredibly lovable. Perfect for fans of Red, White, and Royal Blue.
I always seem to be the odd one out with popular books.  BOYFRIEND MATERIAL has been getting raving reviews and I think a lot of that is deserved.  But for my taste, it didn’t quite hit it out of the park. One of the main characters is especially unlikeable for a decent part of this book.

Still, I think this book fits perfectly in with the reading mood for the Summer and you should consider putting it on your reading lists. A bit of humor, a bit of enemies and British flare. It’s an opposites attract, fake relationship romcom that is light-hearted and fluffy for the most part but does showcase some deeper issues as well. ⁠

Humor is a thing that is subjective and while I know many people found this book hilarious, for me it was a bit of a struggle in that regard. Some moments were funny but overall I didn’t get the “comedy” sense from it.  But even though it wasn’t the funniest for me, it was entertaining.⁠

I think fans of RED, WHITE AND ROYAL BLUE will like this book. And if you didn’t like that because of the inclusion of some politics, then this will be the perfect one to try instead. I personally like Casey McQuiston’s book more than this one still, but I can see the correlation and how they both can leave you with the same warm fuzzy feelings in the end about the HEA. But be warned, don’t read them back to back! ;)⁠
Boyfriend Material is an absolute stunner of a book and a gamechanger for LGBTQ+ romance. Alexis Hall is funny, smart, and charming with this latest book!
This book was absolutely charming. I think what I loved most, aside from Luc and Oliver's beautiful and messy relationship, were the supporting cast. Luc's coworkers especially were constantly making me cackle, and I could honestly read a whole book of Luc just trying in vain to tell jokes in his workplace and constantly failing.
I did feel that the ending left a lot to be desired. We zoom through the mess of Oliver's family, then crawl through multiple scenes of Oliver rejecting Luc, and then BOOM HEA and fade to black. I would've liked to have spent a little more time soaking in that happy ending, maybe with an epilogue (bonus points if it included a joke for Alex or a trip to Wales!). But the rest of the book was delightful, even if I wanted to shake Luc CONSTANTLY. I'll definitely be recommending this one.
This was such a great book! I loved every bit of it and still want more! Definitely one of my favorites this year.
This book was absolutely FANTASTIC. I loved every quirky little moment between Luc and Oliver, I enjoyed the side characters and the family involvement. I thought Luc’s mom was extremely well written and hilarious.  I could not put this by book down. I will auto buy anything from AlexisHall based in this book.
Thank you netgalley and sourcebooks Casablanca for allowing me to read this early! I loved the characters & the story so much. I recommend this to anyone looking for a fun sweet story!
Thank you so much to Sourcebooks Casablanca for sending me finished copy of this book as well as the e-arc.

This book was just the absolute cutest! I loved Luc's not-a-care-in-the-world attitude, but also, he really cares a lot and Oliver is just the cutest thing ever; perfect and poised, but there is so much more to him underneath the surface. These two polar opposites were destined to meet and be each other's shining light! We not only had a whirlwind slow-burn romance between these pages, but we had a deep look into some of the feelings and insecurities that plague many of us on a daily basis in a variety of ways. I cannot stress enough how much I enjoyed reading Luc and Oliver's story! There were times when I was giddy with delight, turned on, and some devastating moments, but they all pulled together to form this beautiful story. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a fun, romantic and witty read!
Wanted:
One (fake) boyfriend
Practically perfect in every way

Luc O'Donnell is tangentially--and reluctantly--famous. His rock star parents split when he was young, and the father he's never met spent the next twenty years cruising in and out of rehab. Now that his dad's making a comeback, Luc's back in the public eye, and one compromising photo is enough to ruin everything.

To clean up his image, Luc has to find a nice, normal relationship...and Oliver Blackwood is as nice and normal as they come. He's a barrister, an ethical vegetarian, and he's never inspired a moment of scandal in his life. In other words: perfect boyfriend material. Unfortunately apart from being gay, single, and really, really in need of a date for a big event, Luc and Oliver have nothing in common. So they strike a deal to be publicity-friendly (fake) boyfriends until the dust has settled. Then they can go their separate ways and pretend it never happened.

But the thing about fake-dating is that it can feel a lot like real-dating. And that's when you get used to someone. Start falling for them. Don't ever want to let them go.
An adorable and warm story of love, recognition, search and reconciliation.

🔥🔥🔥🔥

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC 📖.