Cover Image: Boyfriend Material

Boyfriend Material

Luc has got to get his life – and press – under control. Famous for having famous parents, his negative stories in the tabloids are threatening his job. The solution: find a boyfriend to be seen and photographed with so his life will appear on track. And he does. Oliver, a successful lawyer, agrees to be his fake boyfriend. But then the fake begins to feel pretty real. Such a fantastic rom-com! Wonderful blend of romance and comedy, problem and solution (or try at solution)! I especially like that it’s steamy without every detail of sex. The characters are fun, and even the minor characters have distinguishable personalities. I love Alex and Priya! This would make a great movie. It’s hilarious and sweet!

In the beginning, I wasn’t sure I would like it. I didn’t like Luc in chapter one. But by chapter three, I was hooked!
I liked the opposite attract fake dating however I didn’t really like Luc which had me reading mostly for Oliver(who was awesome) I felt like the book was a bit long and by the end I was over the break up/get together game.

I can see why this will work though because the snark is fantastic and there were a lot of times I was really enjoying it.
I can't believe it took me this long to read this adorable m/m romance about the son of two famous former musicians who needs a fake boyfriend to refurbish his image. The story was sweet and not too steamy, and just an all-around excellent comfort read. Exactly what I needed right now. Alexis Hall's done it again!
Fake dating? Idiots to lovers? Put my name all over it!

When Luc is suddenly thrust back into the spotlight, after his rockstar did decides to make a comeback after 20 years, Luc is forced to get a nice boyfriend to clean up his image. That comes in the form of the Oliver Blackwood, vegan barista and charming to boot.

The characters were so unique and interesting. I loved the dialogue and chemistry between the two leads though the humor fell flat for me at times.

When the leads finally got together, I literally screamed a little. It was swoon-worthy.

I do wish the secondary characters had been fleshed out a bit more but there was no issue with the main characters so I was still satisfied with all the developments.
Cute Queer Romance

I have not idea why it has taken me this long to read this book. I think it was all the hype around it that always puts me off however, I am pleased to say that I adored this super cute queer romance book. I have now added several of Alexis Hall's books to my tbr.

So the book. The book is about Luc O'Donnell professional shall we say Fu*k up, the estranged son of rock a legend, whatever he does seems to turn to go wrong and this is now bleeding into his work. I mean his job is fun isn't it, he works PR for Charity CRAPP - its for the Dung beetles! Luc has been in the papers one too many times and this is now making the benefactors of the Charity pull out one by one and he has been given an ultimatum. Get yourself clean and out of the papers or find a new job - this is where Luc's crazy bunch of friends come into play and Oliver Blackwood. Oliver Blackwood is the opposite of Luc, he is put together, works hard, exercises, eats well and does the right thing.

Both Luc and Oliver agree to "Fake Dating" Luc so he won't lose his job and throw some positive light on his love life, and for Oliver to be able to take someone to his parents 40th Wedding Anniversary. They have rules and everything - its actually quite smart and fun what they come up with.

Honestly this book was such a breeze to read, not only are the characters hilarious, I love Luc and Oliver they are two such great leading men, but also the side characters that add that little pizazz to the book. Its 100% a British rom-com but better, there is sarcasm, wit, humour, romance, heartbreak, hope, growth and some soul searching.. It has the fake dating trope, as well as a little enemies to lovers, friends to lovers vibes. Honestly the book was unputdownable - I flew through the book within two days it was that good.

Not only are the characters engaging but I honestly fell in love with the pair of them. They both were going through some serious issues and self doubt but it was great to see that they had a bunch of friends and family in Luc's case to support them. I ad a massive smile on my face when I was reading this book and I didn't want it to end. I love that it was left open for another book, maybe following another character but seeing as I have an arc lets just say you need to read this book.
A cute fun story with one of my favorite troupes. Oliver and Lucien were fantastic and they really made the story feel like it was actually happening out in the real world.
This delightfully sweet book earns every bit of the happily ever after - there’s real growth with the characters that lends itself nicely to a sequel & you find yourself feeling like this book could not have been shorter without sacrificing important aspects of the plot. I truly enjoyed it & will be picking up book #2!
Ok so I will say I took my every astronomically slow time getting to this book. After reading RWARB I wasn't jumping at the chance to read anything even close to it. MY APOLOGIZES!!! A friend told me "Opal trust me and go for it" and I decided to take the reluctant plunge. I loved this book! Luc and Oliver are just😍😍😍 I needed this and I didn't even know it. So much better than I was anticipating and I can't wait for Husband Material!!! All happy feels and I'm not even going spoil it with thoughts. Just👏 Read👏It👏
I loved this book! This was such a fabulous read. I l adore the fake dating trope, Luc and Oliver were destined for each other in my opinion! London is a great setting, the cover draws you in too. The banter between the Luc and Oliver, plus their friends makes it enjoyable. I loved getting lost between the pages, I read this book in one sitting, that is the highest compliment I can give to an author! Highly recommend!
I tried really hard to get into this book and it's completely possible it was just my mindset at the time. I can see myself enjoying Boyfriend Material at a later date but right now, it just wasn't for me.
This is great for fans of Red, White, & Royal Blue and readers who love romantic comedies. This is a light-hearted, fake-dating romance between two men who are desperate to not be alone. The main characters are flawed and lovable and endearing. The tone of this book is comedic, with lots of poking fun at posh British people, ridiculous situations, and generally low stakes. What's special about this story is how the two characters share intimate moments without a lot of sex. In terms of spicy romance, this book is fairly mild, but the chemistry between these two men is exciting and will have readers wanting more. The main characters also have several well-developed relationships with friends and family that add to their character arcs and relationship dynamics. The sequel can't come soon enough!
I loved this one! Each character and their backstop was well developed. Their romantic arc was believable and I was invested in their story throughout. Two thumbs up!
So good, so gay. Tropetastic and filled with fake dating and Only One Bed and everything else you could dream of.
I’ve avoided writing this review for so long. Boyfriend Material is one of those books I was sure I would love. Unfortunately for me, I just can’t seem to get into it. And believe me I’ve tried so many times (at least four since it released) On my last try I got 50% in and just lost interest. I’ve heard the book is superior on audiobook, I may try that at a later point. I’m determined to finish this book one day! For now it is a DNF
Fake dating stories are growing in popularity especially on Booktok. I enjoy them since they're usually semi enemy to lovers as well. this book is set in England/UK so that already makes me happy. LQBTQ+ representation. Famous people fake dating in books always makes me realize how easy it is for real famous people to do it, like just bring the same person to all the awards shows, and maybe bring them out to coffee a few times to make sure you get photos and bam, you're dating even when you're not.
I loved it! The writing was so gripping, I practically ate the whole thing up. Luke was a little bit annoying, but he was also quirky and funny so I forgive him for that. Oliver is the cutest ever.
Super fun, quick read.
I saw this thinking I would like it better than Red White and Royal Blue, but I picked up the same vibe that just wasn’t for me.
This book was SO charming! I was laughing one page, sobbing the next, and just in general loving every moment. I thought the characters were so well developed and really both went through a good amount of growth at the end. My only complaint is wanting more, honestly!!
If you love books about royals and/or Red White & Royal Blue, READ THIS BOOK. Alexis Hall might have become an auto-buy author for me after reading this fun, frothy, delightful romance between a rock star's son and a barrister. The fake dating trope is one of my favorites, and this one is done very well, with lots of chemistry and adorable flirtation. The banter is fun and had me giggling to myself more than once (something that I don't do often while reading). Perfect for getting yourself out of a book rut or reading in one sitting!
I'm not a huge romance reader and this was super cute but ultimately not for me. It is something that people should read for themselves though.