Cover Image: Boyfriend Material

Boyfriend Material

4.5 stars.
I was actually thinking for like the first few chapters that this was going to be boring... like why all these 4 and 5 stars? then it changed and the two main characters are broken, messed up, funny, wierd, cute and so on... they are perfect for each other in a way and when together, they get to heal and start becomming the best they can be, though yes it is a long way and the characters said alot that was mean. But i still freaking loved it! I wish therw were more.
*I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

Okay, let me start by telling you that I enjoyed reading this one so much that I am planning on buying it in the future. Just having an ARC is not good enough! I almost pulled an all-nighter to finish this book. Plus, I will be reading more by this author.

This book is hilarious, cute, and had me invested really quick. I was in love with the characters quickly, even the side characters.
I did have a minor issue with the conflict and some of the end parts -- I really wanted to dive into and condemn more of the negative issues that came up. Sorry, I'm trying not to spoil too much. In that vein, I do want to say that how Luc's anxiety and his family issues were dealt with were amazing -- in my opinion.

There is a lot of good to this book. I would totally recommend it and plan on re-reading this in the future.
4.5 Stars to Boyfriend Material by Alexis Hall., another delightful m/m take on the fake dating, enemies-to-lovers tropes. Although the beginning suffers from some slow pacing, Luc and Oliver's story is worth the read. Hand to fans of Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston, and the Brown Sisters saga by Talia Hibbert.
It starts off slow and kind of dense, but once the action begins, it's hard to resist the story as it drives forward. It reads as a true epic, one that makes you feel the world really has been reshaped as you read it. Would recommend.
The great goddess of our time, Talia Hibbert, said in her Goodreads review of this book that Boyfriend Material is an "instant classic", and I'm quite inclined to agree. I've been searching for something to fill the Red, White, and Royal Blue-shaped void in my heart, and not to take away from that priceless gem, but this book certainly did the trick. Our narrator, Luke, is vulnerable, honest, and so, so likable. And it's got everything-- fake dating, delightful banter, and an enviable friend group. I loved it!
This book was truely amazing, just absoluetly amazing. I put it off for so long, I was nervous it just wouldn't be what I hoped and I was SO wrong. It was everything I wanted from the opposites attract trope to the "let's be fake boyfriends even though I'm actually totally in love with you". What more can I ask for? I wish I could read this book for the first time again! Luc and Oliver are goals 100% and you can't tell me otherwise. What are you doing? Read. this. book.
This was a cute book that read a little like Bridget Jones to me. This is due to the self deprecating main character and all the Britishy goodness in the novel. I have recommended this for people who enjoy contemporary romance.
I loved this. Reminded me of the red white and royal blue which I really enjoyed. So if you liked that, I think you’d like this too!
This book was absolutely delightful. I finished and texted my friend to say I had angsty-warm-and-fuzzies. It's such an odd combination, but it wasn't overly sweet but was absolutely tender.

I was really grateful for the length and I was actually surprised at how long it was, in a good way! It was lovely to spend so much time with Luc and Oliver and watch their fake relationship flourish. I think some of the side characters could have used some editing down; they got a bit distracting and confusing and pulled from the story. Also, Luc's self-deprecation got a little tired after a bit, and then when Oliver started doing it too it got to be a bit much, but it was worth seeing their character growth! And all the banter and texting was worth it; I'd read a sequel of just them being happy and texting each other!
I'm a big fan of fake dating that turns into real dating without either party being aware, and throwing in sensitive supposed bad-boy with tight-wad Good Child Syndrome? *chef's kiss*
Really good, romantic, funny and charming. A great read for fans of Casey McQuiston and the forced relationships trope.
This fake dating book is perfect. Hall has penned the perfect fluffy rom-con that also tackles tough subjects. Luc and Oliver are perfect together and watching them find their HEA is the most fun I’ve had in a while.
Why? Why did I wait so long to read this?  This is absolutely hilarious with it's dry, sarcastic British humour (my kind of humour). Despite the humourous tone, there is still a lot of heart and seriousness to the book.  We deal with self esteem (and how we can have low self esteem depending on who we're around), family, rejection, and friendship.  Luc at first feels like a typical brooding character who puts of a bad boy exterior, but we quickly learn that his has a lot of issues he needs to work through.  Oliver, the love interest, is serious and caring, but we learn there is more to him than meets the eye.  I love both of these characters for very different reasons - as different as their personalities - and I fully ship them!

I can't go much into it without spoilers so gushing about this book is extra hard.  It's sweet and funny and it's another book I managed to finish quickly - two sittings *shakes fist* (damn you work schedule) - and I was intrigued the entire way.  Hall has such an easy, approachable writing style and I will be picking up anything else he writes! I think if you loved Red, White and Royal Blue then you'll absolutely love this one - just keep in mind the sex scenes are fade to black so no smut in here.
Throughly enjoyed this. Oliver and Lucien have such great chemistry together, each a disaster in his own way. A hilarious set of side characters add laugh-out loud moments. Personally, I like romantic tropes, so the fake dating to real dating plot was enjoyable. Overall, a completely charming book.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an advance copy of this book.
Sometimes second chances are worth it! I tried reading Boyfriend Material a few months back and just couldn’t get past the first couple chapters.  The second time around, I flew through it!  Honestly, once we met Oliver, I was hooked.

Luc is a bit of a wreck.  He’s rash and flighty and just a mess.  He’s a bit frustrating and hard to keep up with at times.  I found myself constantly frustrated with his self-destructive patterns.  It was a relief to see a lot of character growth for Luc throughout the story.  Oliver is very well put together.  He seems self-assured and mature.  He’s a great constant in Luc’s life and I loved seeing their (fake) relationship develop.

The writing was great.  I got totally sucked into the story and found myself feeling a full range of emotions as I was reading.  I do think the ending was a bit frustrating and seemingly out of character.  So much so that I was messaged friends who have read it saying “WTH?!?” But all in all, this was a sweet, enjoyable read.
I’m aware I rarely say this about books, but this was FANTASTIC! Once I started to read “Boyfriend Material” I couldn’t stop anymore and with every chapter I read, I was drawn even more into the story. The conversations between the two MCs, Luc and Oliver, were so much fun and I found myself clutching the pages while laughing out loud.

Sure, not everything in this book is hilarious and Alexis Hall tackles plenty of serious topics as well. The author always does it with a little humour though and this made this a really enjoyable and entertaining read. For instance Luc’s boss is a horrible person. I mean I get it, beetles are important for the environment but boy, does she lack the finesse of human interaction. Some of the things she said at the beginning of the book were flat out rude and inappropriate and if Luc wouldn’t have been such a nice person she probably would have lost her company a long time ago.

The good thing about those moments is that they were all either called out or challenged by some of the characters and I really appreciated this approach. Alexis Hall deals with prejudices, bias and a good dose of discrimination but the author does it in a healthy kind of way. For such a funny book this is quite remarkable and before I dwell on those topics even more I’ll just go for the good stuff! Namely the easy banter of the two MCs , the fact that Luc (whose full name is Lucien btw and we all know about my weakness for that name! ;-P) is a disaster gay and the amazing portrayal of friendships which gave this all such a wholesome and healthy vibe!

I swear Luc and Oliver were such a formidable couple! Yes, they might have started fake-dating because at that point of their lives they both needed it to save their reputation; they were always honest and forthright though! And this was so, so, so, so refreshing!!! Most of the conflicts in “Boyfriend Material” didn’t come into being because of some miscommunication between the MCs but because the characters were used to deal with their problems on their own. They were stuck in their habits and problems and had a tough time letting anyone in, which considering both of their backstories was actually pretty relatable.

As were their friendships! I loved Bridge and the funny dynamic between Luc and his other friends. They were exactly like you’d expect good friends to be and their support for Luc was amazing! Funnily enough I even liked Alex, Luc’s gullible, innocent and totally clueless co-worker who wouldn’t even notice if he would put his foot in his mouth. Let’s just hope the Alex’s of this world will never be confronted with harsh reality. XD

This said, the only thing I didn’t like were the two storylines about Luc’s father and Oliver’s family. Whilst the plot that dealt with Luc’s father might have been dissatisfying but realistic, the part that focused on Oliver’s family fell short for me. I really wish we would have gotten more of his storyline throughout the entire book and not only on the last 30 pages. I get why Alexis Hall did it that way and I appreciate the point the author made, but for me this came out of the blue and kind of spoiled the ending.
I guess this might be a typical "it's not the book, it's me" situation though. Well, at least so far no other reviewer seems to have mentioned it.

All told I really enjoyed “Boyfriend Material” and had a more than just tough time to put it down. The hilarious humour and easy banter made it really addicting and before I even knew it I found myself rushing through the pages. If you’re looking for a sweet rom-com that isn’t afraid to tackle a few serious topics and will make you laugh out loud, this might be exactly the right book for you! ;-) Happy reading!
4.5 ⭐️

I really enjoyed The Boyfriend Material! It was funny and romantic and thought-provoking and entertaining. It’s definitely over-the-top at times but those scenes made me laugh. Other times I just wanted to hug the characters and tell them that it’ll be ok.
I loved the writing style and Luc’s point of view. He was funny and sarcastic but also very loving and protective. He also had amazing character development! I also really enjoyed the relationship between Luc and Oliver. It progressed realistically and the fake dating trope was executed perfectly.
The Boyfriend Material was a book that I could not put down and that I’ll definitely have to read again in the future because I already miss the characters!
This was a fun and enjoyable read. Definitely a great read a like for Red White and Royal Blue. Will be recommending to my book club. Ordered copies for N.H. downloadable books and my library. Thank you!
4.5 stars! I can’t believe I was sitting on this ARC since this summer and just read it now! This book made me laugh out loud on multiple occasions! I read this on my kindle and also listened to the audio and while I recommend both, I think I actually preferred the audiobook! The narration was excellent and think it made certain parts of the book come to life. I absolutely loved the characters. The storyline was good but it’s the characters (and the writing) that made this book an excellent read! I especially loved Luc’s mother! I would definitely recommend checking out this one!!

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing a free advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
When I first read the synopsis, I immediately requested this one to review. Male on male, fake boyfriends and British humor – sign me up. But to be honest, I didn’t like it all that much. If I hadn’t had to review it and I’d believe in DNF’s, I probably would have put the book away halfway through.

I had a tough time finding into the story and an even harder time connecting with the characters. While Lucien is an interesting character and very different from everything I’ve ever read before, at times, I was thinking, “oh boy – here we go again.” I simply didn’t click with him at all. His counterpart and fake boyfriend Oliver is a very straightforward and somewhat cool character. He has a clear idea about everything, and that’s also sort of his problem. The weird thing is that I really liked them as a couple, and I can totally see why they’re good for each other, but I felt so detached from the whole thing I couldn’t even enjoy it. I feel like I hardly know them, and when you follow characters through an entire book, that’s generally bad.

About halfway through, it seemed like it was getting better, but then it didn’t. It was like watching a movie without audio – you see, but you don’t connect to the characters or the story at all. I kept hoping for the sparks they were supposedly feeling to reach me, but there were only a few selected scenes where that was the case. My ratings are rarely this low, but I honestly wasn’t feeling this one at all. That has never happened to me before with a fake boyfriend romance kind of thing because usually, I’m total trash for this. But I felt like I was crawling through the second half of the book.

To my surprise, I liked the ending a lot better than I expected, given my feelings throughout the book. Suddenly the missing emotions were there. There’s a bit more character development on Lucien’s side, but they both eventually acknowledge their respective issues, paving the way for a better future. So, plot-wise, it was very traditional and exactly what you expect, picking up this sort of story.

Long story short, this one didn’t really work for me. When I read romance, I need to connect to the characters, and I need to feel the love, and for whatever reason, that didn’t happen. And I’m super bummed that I didn’t enjoy it as much as I hoped I would. It’s exam season, so maybe I wasn’t able to relax into it enough?

I’m sure that a lot of you will love this book. If it sounds good to you, don’t be discouraged because I didn’t like it. If you do end up reading it, definitely let me know what you think.