Cover Image: Boyfriend Material

Boyfriend Material

This was such a great book! I loved every bit of it and still want more! Definitely one of my favorites this year.
This book was absolutely FANTASTIC. I loved every quirky little moment between Luc and Oliver, I enjoyed the side characters and the family involvement. I thought Luc’s mom was extremely well written and hilarious.  I could not put this by book down. I will auto buy anything from AlexisHall based in this book.
Thank you netgalley and sourcebooks Casablanca for allowing me to read this early! I loved the characters & the story so much. I recommend this to anyone looking for a fun sweet story!
Thank you so much to Sourcebooks Casablanca for sending me finished copy of this book as well as the e-arc.

This book was just the absolute cutest! I loved Luc's not-a-care-in-the-world attitude, but also, he really cares a lot and Oliver is just the cutest thing ever; perfect and poised, but there is so much more to him underneath the surface. These two polar opposites were destined to meet and be each other's shining light! We not only had a whirlwind slow-burn romance between these pages, but we had a deep look into some of the feelings and insecurities that plague many of us on a daily basis in a variety of ways. I cannot stress enough how much I enjoyed reading Luc and Oliver's story! There were times when I was giddy with delight, turned on, and some devastating moments, but they all pulled together to form this beautiful story. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a fun, romantic and witty read!
Wanted:
One (fake) boyfriend
Practically perfect in every way

Luc O'Donnell is tangentially--and reluctantly--famous. His rock star parents split when he was young, and the father he's never met spent the next twenty years cruising in and out of rehab. Now that his dad's making a comeback, Luc's back in the public eye, and one compromising photo is enough to ruin everything.

To clean up his image, Luc has to find a nice, normal relationship...and Oliver Blackwood is as nice and normal as they come. He's a barrister, an ethical vegetarian, and he's never inspired a moment of scandal in his life. In other words: perfect boyfriend material. Unfortunately apart from being gay, single, and really, really in need of a date for a big event, Luc and Oliver have nothing in common. So they strike a deal to be publicity-friendly (fake) boyfriends until the dust has settled. Then they can go their separate ways and pretend it never happened.

But the thing about fake-dating is that it can feel a lot like real-dating. And that's when you get used to someone. Start falling for them. Don't ever want to let them go.
An adorable and warm story of love, recognition, search and reconciliation.

🔥🔥🔥🔥

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC 📖.

oh my god!!! this book was everything!!!<3333333
it's been a while since i read an adult book with no detailed intimate scenes and that was so refreshing to be honest!<3333
this book was all about accepting oneself and asking for help when needed and i honestly needed that!!
i cried and laughed a LOT while reading it and god how much i needed that!!!!<33333
i'm so in love with oliver and luke and i SO WANT TO PROTECT THEM (and their friends) AT ALL COSTS!!
for now i have no words to describe it but if i have more i'll definitely edit it<333
Stars: 5/5 - I changed my CAWPILE votes so it matched the rating I wanted to give it. Atmosphere was the only place it 'lacked' - I gave it a 7 because atmosphere for me is the description of the setting and how immersed I am and considering I was completely immersed, I bumped it to an 8, making it a CAWPILE of 5

I ADORED this novel. So freaking cute, all the feel good feels. Luc is me, I am Luc. He is my precious boy and I see so much of myself in him in terms of self esteem and depression. I feel like many can relate to the mental state Luc is in but it's likely not due to being the son of a rock star... nevertheless many of us fear relationships and being hurt from them, questioning if we are good enough and this book proves YES you are, you are deserving and sometimes it is worth that risk.

I also loved Oliver and all his weirdness - the family thing; I get it! So many topics in this story. So good and done so well!

I also really enjoyed the writing - it was simple and, again, immersive. I wanted to read. I was addicted. The plot was everything I wanted and everything I didn't know I needed. Should a New Adult version come out, i'm buying it (this is just YA... but still SO GOOD). I literally have no complaints - just twice I couldn't remember who a few side characters were... there are many... but it wasn't detrimental and did not deter me!

Yeah... I can't rave about this story enough. Hall made me feel warm and fuzzy and I felt that romance and a lot of the emotions physically (doesn't happen often so you know it's a good story when it does!) and this book god me out of a massive reading slump!

WARNINGS: depression/ mental health, toxic parents, mature suggestions, swearing

RECOMMEND: for 16+ year olds. No sexy scenes but there are mentions of the f word and what it physically means
I LOVED this book. it was so sweet, with two main characters that you want nothing but the best for the entire time you're reading it.
I absolutely loved this book. Oliver is my soulmate. Watching the growth of Luc and Oliver's love story is just perfect. The ups and downs, the miscommunications, the happy times, the sad times. It was all there. I loved how they were there for each other even though it was supposed to be a fake relationship. But we all knew that said fake relationship would lead to the real thing, right? Or did it? You will have to read and see. All the supporting characters were fun except the dad. My only qualm was that the dad's story seemed to just hit a complete brick wall and was over. Almost felt like the author was running out of time and just wanted to clean that story line up as quickly as possible. Other than that, this one was amazing! 5 big shining stars.
Thank you NetGalley.This was a nice read . really enjoyed it ! Will read more from the author. Really surprised me .
Boyfriend Material is the funniest book I've read this year, it's full to the brim with British humour that constantly made me laugh.
So far I've convinced two colleagues and a few friends to read Boyfriend Material and we have all loved it so much. I often find incorrect or uneducated Welsh references in popular YA/NA books but Boyfriend Material surprised me with informed discussions on various Welsh themes and I adored it.
This novel keeps you on the edge of your seat until the very end with a 'will they won't they?' romance. The best romcom of 2020 for me and I'll continue to shout about it to everyone!
Loved this one so much mostly because I am truly always down for love a celeb story or a fake dating story so putting them together is a recipe for success. Definitely gave me Red, White, and Royal Blue vibes.
Oh I LOVED this one!!! Cheeky banter, a string connection, great cast. Wonderful read from a stellar and brilliant author!
In this LGBT romance about opposites attracting and fake-relationships, the chemistry between Luc and Oliver is fantastic.
Luc, tries to get his life back on track after a scandal. He needs a bit of normalcy, despite his history of having less committed relationships and barrister Oliver, is as grounded as they come.
Oliver is also in desperate need of a date for a huge social gathering so the two strike up a deal.
They'll fake-date for this event and until the media gets bored with Luc's new normal, but as they pretend to like each other, sparks fly and romance just might be the last thing they expect, but something they both need.
Delightful and fun read.

I featured this book on San Antonio Living's book pick segment: https://news4sanantonio.com/sa-living/summer-reading-book-picks

*I received a copy of this book for an honest review
My first Alexis Hall book was an overwhelming success! I listened to the audio version of this book and it was delightful. I probably looked like a fool grinning and giggling my face off while listening during my daily walks. I’m a sucker for a grumpy character — and even more so for TWO of them. I loved everything about this closed-door m/m romance.

“Fake it till you make it” romances are my catnip. I love them for so many reasons, but not the least of which is the fact the reader knows where things are headed far before the characters figure it out for themselves. It was impossible not to love Luc and Oliver. They were just so imperfectly perfect for each other. Opposites definitely attract — and gave a delightfully heartwarming slow burn romance — in Boyfriend Material.

Not only was Boyfriend Material perfect and swoony AND live up to my sky-high expectations, but it was also utterly AMAZING on audio. Joe Jameson did a fantastic job bringing Luc and Oliver to life. And his voice. Whoa. I could legit listen to him read the dictionary.
I wanted to love this book. I went in expecting to love it as much as I did Red, White, and Royal Blue and I think I was comparing them too much. It was a little slow and drawn out. It was cute but could have been better.
Boyfriend Material is so thoroughly a Christina book, chock full of banter and people who are sweet and adorable and lovely but also know fuck all about dealing with their emotions.

At 432 pages in the paperback, Boyfriend Material runs long, and I'm not going to lie and say it couldn't have been edited down. Prepare to get many details about everyone that Luc interacts with at any time and to follow Luc down many mental rabbit holes. Expect no opportunity for bantering to be missed, even if it doesn't necessarily advance the plot. If you are a plot person and not a banter person, this book will probably strike you as tedious. However, I am a character arc and banter person, so I loved the voice and the commitment to constant banter.

Another thing you should know is that this book is very deeply British. I suspect this book is going to attract a lot of readers who loved Red, White, and Royal Blue, and, if they're not regular readers of romance or watchers of British television, I feel like they're going to be distinctly surprised. My book club read RWaRB, and all the people who usually don't read adult romance were talking about how graphic it was, and all the regular romance readers were like "pretty tame actually". Boyfriend Material doesn't get graphic in the sex scenes, but there are constant frank discussions about penises and stuff like that, so it could easily be a shock to some readers. In terms of Britishness, there are jokes about the English perspective of Welsh and Irish people and things like that, and an arseload of British slang. I didn't have an issue with at any point (loved it, actually), but if your only exposure to British culture is a couple episodes of Doctor Who, it might be rough.

From looking at reviews, I can see that some people didn't like this book because of the way Oliver and Luc, particularly Luc, go hot and cold. That's totally a fair take, and I see why some people feel that way. For me, though, this is one of those books where I didn't mind tropes I usually cannot stand (miscommunication, constant break ups to protect the other person from their undeservingsness), because everything felt so one hundred percent like what the character would do. Luc and Oliver are traumatized, messed up little beans, and they do not know what to do with their feels, so obviously I love and adore them and want to protect them.

The audiobook was super excellent as well. Joe Jameson's narration was perfect, particularly his super stern and deep voice for Oliver, because it totally captures the awkward Darcy-ness of Oliver, who gets more pompous the more nervous he is. Ugh so thoroughly precious I absolutely cannot okay. Anyway, Jameson did a nice job distinguishing the large cast, and I was able to remember everyone without a problem, which can be tricky in single narrator audiobooks with large casts.

Think Bridget Jones meets Coupling meets awkward Darcy, and you've got something sorta like Boyfriend Material. If you love precious fuck ups who mask their discomfort and inability to handle emotions with a fuckton of banter, this is the book for you.
This book took me a hot minute to get into but I ended up really loving it. Luc is a little awful for the first half or so of the book but I was really satisfied by how he owned up to his issues and the growth we see from both him and Oliver as the story progresses. A lot of these contemporary romances shift perspectives between the two love interests and I found I really missed that in this one. I loved Oliver and I would have loved to read from his pov. But, I recognize that the way it was written makes sense for how the storyline evolves, so it wasn't a huge disappointment to not have that. This book also features some really great side characters who added to the humor and tons of emotional support for the two main characters. Overall, very cute, very funny, a little steamy. I would definitely recommend this to patrons
There’s something about a book set in London that makes me unable to stop reading. I’ll be honest the first few chapters of this one almost lost me, the set up was a bit cringe worthy BUT I think that was the point? HOWEVER! Once I got past the set up I was able to forget it and enjoy a really cute story. There is nothing heavy here. The stakes were super low.. It was just an easy, cute read. Cute boys kissing and being hopeless disasters. Be aware this is NOT YA. I would consider this an Adult Romance, it didn’t have any graphic content but it was definitely about adults in adult situations. There were also several sections I genuinely had no clue what was happening because they kept dropping really Welsh and English words/phrases. Most people would have hated that, but as someone who wants to live in the UK so desperately, I reveled in it.