Cover Image: Beyond Power

Beyond Power

Another amazing story set in the beautiful Ocala area of Central Florida. Jake and Delilah are at odds for several reasons, but find that when it comes to some very important events they must work together. Dealing with family drama, militia groups and monkey tribes brings Delilah and Jake through danger, disagreements and finally happiness for them and so many around them
This is the first book I've read by Connie Mann so I didn't know what to expect, but the blurb sounded interesting. Especially since it was set in Florida and it involved a FWC agent and a woman raised in an ultra-fundamental militia family.

Josh was a sweet yet protective man who found himself drawn to the beautiful, stubborn and cagey graduate student. He knew Delilah was hiding something, but he also knew that the only way to get her to open up was to have her trust him. And although their attraction was mutual and evident, so was their hesitation to engage with each other. Trust was something that didn't come easily to either Josh or Delilah, so it was nice to see them each lowering their walls as the story progressed. Ultimately, their connection won out and their romance came together.

"Sultry romantic suspense set in Florida's untamed wilderness..."

Ummm, I don't know about "sultry" unless you were talking about the Florida weather (hot and humid). I wouldn't call it slow-burn either, because their chemistry didn't really jump off the page for me. The connection and emotions were there, but it didn't necessarily felt passionate for me.

Anyway, I enjoyed the story overall, especially the cast of secondary characters, the action and the intrigue. I also enjoyed the camaraderie between the secondary characters and will definitely pick up book one so I can experience it first hand.

I'm glad I decided to give this author a chance. I'm looking forward to reading more books in the series.
There were tense moments, humor, love and gutsy characters in this story. Who does not like an alpha male who is protective and in love. This book makes me want to go to Alaska. Be prepare for an adventure with this read. Delilah is a take no prisoner heroine despite her fears and Josh Tanner cannot resist her. Delilah is a woman on a mission to rescue your sisters. The family dynamics of her family will bring readers to tears either from sadness or anger. She loves deeply and will go to any lengths to protect those she loves. The interaction between Josh and Delilah is fun to read.
I am a huge fan of Connie Mann and her books, so anytime a new book comes out from her, I am excited. I am especially excited when I am lucky enough to snag an Advanced Reader Copy of one of her new books.

Connie's Florida Wildlife Warriors series is an action-packed peek into the untamed world of Florida's wild interior. Beyond Power is the second in the series and is focused on Josh Tanner's story.

In this fast-paced adventure, we get a glimpse into the underworld of the ultra-fundamental militia in the unruly Ocala Forest. The FWC is used to the survivalist living amongst them in the Ocala Forest, but when rumors of a militia trying to form in their forest their concern ramps up.

Delilah, a survivor of one of the families living in the forest, grew up with no trust of law enforcement. So, trusting Josh is a huge stretch for her. But, so save her sister, Delilah must make the tough choice.

Josh is everything we like in an alpha male hero. He is handsome, rugged, tough, and kind. He has a big heart, but also knows how to protect those who need protection.

Delilah is skittish. She is independent or has learned to become independent. Even though she has tried to escape the family and the rules and lifestyle she grew up with, she realizes that some of those same skills are going to keep her alive now.

Josh and Delilah make a good team when working together. I enjoyed watching the fences both had built around their hearts come down piece by piece.

Connie's books tend to be heavy on the suspense, which I really enjoy. But, the romance is masterfully woven into the mystery and adventure making it a well-crafted story you'll enjoy spending time with.

All in all, I loved Beyond Power and am already looking forward to her next book!
Delilah Atwood is the heroine in the second book of the Florida Wildlife Warriors series. Delilah has returned to her hometown to study monkeys and to attempt to save her sister from a nefarious plan which is scheduled to happen on her 16th Birthday. She meets Josh Tanner and there is an instant attraction. Josh and Delilah have to work to trust each other because of their pasts.
The book has a wonderful romance and connections between the extended characters. Connie Mann does a wonderful job developing the love story and adding in plenty of excitement. For me, I was happy that Delilah was not “that heroine”, the one that makes a ton of stupid mistakes to show she is independent. She does make some stupid mistakes, but not enough that you get irritated by her. I had not read the previous book in the series, so I can honestly say that it works well as a standalone.
I felt the pace of the book was excellent. Slow enough that a true love was able to develop, but with enough exciting events to keep the reader engaged. I would highly recommend this book. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy reading Elle Kennedy’s Killer Instincts series or the Cobra Elite series by Pamela Clare.
I was provided a copy of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This was my first Connie Mann novel. I'm not sure why I've waited so long to give her books a try but it only took this one story to hook me for good. I'm now over here scanning her back list and downloading like crazy.

From beginning to end, Beyond Power held me in its power. Mann has created an intense, suspenseful, and emotional page-turner filled with so many twists and turns I was still guessing as to how everything would play out with only a few pages left to read. Her characters are so vividly depicted they leap from the pages, pulling me into their world. And let's talk about that world. It's clearly evident Mann knows the wildlife areas of Central Florida well. She created a sense of place that placed me smack dab in the middle of the overgrowth, rivers, forests, and wild animals that populate the undeveloped areas of this region then added characters who brought a sinister quality to the areas that our heroine once called home, adding to the intensity of the story and sense of urgency that continued to escalate.

My heart was with Delilah from the start and even more-so once her story began to unfold and the reasons for her return became clear. It's an emotional journey for her with significant personal issues to tackle. I admired her strength and fortitude. Josh won my heart right along with Delilah's. I adored his strength of character and nurturing heart. I also fell for his family and band of friends and co-workers. I'm already looking forward to more stories for this dedicated group.

I love when I forget I'm reading a book and slide into the story instead. By the time I turned the final page of Beyond Power, it took me a minute to come back into myself. I could feel the sultry heat, touch the vegetation, hear the monkey chatter, smell the sweat of fear. It's a skilled writer who can pull me so deeply into their world that I forget I'm still in my own.

If you enjoy intricately-woven romantic suspense with relatable characters, atmospheric settings, and hard-won happy endings, I highly recommend Beyond Power.

*ARC received for fair and unbiased review
This is book 2 in the Florida Wildlife Warriors series and I would read the first book before reading this one as it picks up where that one left off, even though it's a different couple. Josh Tanner is a bush pilot and officer for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. He is tough and can handle whatever comes his way in rugged areas and doesn't hesitate to do what he needs to. But when he comes across Delilah Atwood in the woods he knows that there is more going on than what she says. Delilah has come back to to try to save her sister from the same fate that befell her. She isn't about to let some man from the government stop her from doing what she needs to do. Now Josh must win her trust in order to keep her safe and find a way to truly help her.

I really liked this one. This is the first time I have read this author and I was a little iffy on whether I would like it. But I was pleasantly surprised with how much I truly did like it! josh is definitely an alpha male who will do anything to protect the people that he cares about but he also is sweet and has a heart of gold. Delilah went through something that no girl should ever have to deal with. She has a core of strength that I absolutely loved and even with the things in her past, she still has such a capacity for love that I almost didn't believe it. I just wish she hadn't been quite so stubborn about being able to do everything on her own. Definitely got on my nerves a little bit but it still didn't detract from the story itself. And not enough to make me not go back and buy the first book because I wanted to know the whole series!
I loved the first book in the series (Beyond Risk), and have been looking forward to getting back to the Florida everglades and wilderness. It's nice to read about law enforcement beyond police and military operatives, and Josh Tanner's Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission department is interesting. Connie Mann has a great voice and develops compelling characters and engaging plots. I'll keep her on my auto-read list.
First off I want to thank SOURCEBOOKS Casablanca for the invite as well as NetGalley for letting me read and review it, as soon as I saw the cover I was like yes please, what can I say most times if not all the time a cover with a hot guy will get me to pick it up , plus it was already something I would pick up and read in a heart beat. The only thing I didn't really like was how the author talked about  Caroline having panic attacks and you never read her having them, other thing  didn't like was when Caroline  got her memory back she didn't tell right away and kept putting not only her friend at risk but also  Jack  and his brothers.As for Jack , I loved how he was about family and how he also wanted to know who killed father and why , but he wasn't the type of person to put his family at risk, other thing I loved was how suspenseful   this story was  from start to finish. There were multiple attacks on Caroline and Jack, showing that someone is determined to protect their secret no matter who got killed or hurt.
✦Review: BEYOND POWER by Connie Mann https://wp.me/p3d0RZ-byf
Publication Date: September 1, 2020
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Reviewed by Reading in Pajamas/ Donna
Rated 4.5 Stars

This was a fun, tension filled romance that kept me turning the pages. It helped that I liked Delilah and Josh from the start. They are both complex, yet relatable and I couldn’t wait for them to give in to the romance. The suspense part of the story kept me on edge wondering where the next incident would come from. Some of the situations may seem a bit farfetched in this day and age, but since it isn’t in my realm of experience, I went along for the ride and let it flow. Fast paced, action filled, and sweet romance….a nice combination. I can’t wait for book 3!

*Review copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

~*~*~*~

Kindle https://amzn.to/34NrKRq
3.5 Stars

I had read the first book in this series and enjoyed it enough to jump at the chance to read this second one. I found the characters to be interesting and likeable and the plot intriguing enough to keep me eagerly reading. My only problem with the story is that I felt like there were some plot holes and things left unresolved. I kept wondering if I just missed the tie-in somehow, but I don't think I did. It felt like the ending was very rushed, and perhaps things that the author had planned to tie up in some way (e.g., where the monkey mothers had been; Josh telling Delilah about Elaine) ended up being left out. Other things (e.g., related to Mary and her mom) were just quickly recounted in a summary type format. Despite these things, the book is definitely worth reading, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Thank you to NetGalley and  Sourcebooks Casablanca for providing an ARC for review.
This was a fun suspenseful romance set in the wilds of Florida.  We follow Delilah Atwood who grew up in Florida's Wilderness with her family who lived off the grid.  She has recently returned after running away when she was 16 to work on her master's thesis on some local wildlife while also trying to find her sister so she can take her away.  While doing her research she meets handsome Josh Tanner who is an officer for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation.  Together they must find out who is trying to set up a local militia and what is happening with the local monkey population that she is researching.  There were so many things I really enjoyed abut this story, like the research she did and the population of people who live in the wilds there.  I love when a book makes me want to know more about something and this book definitely did that.  The romance was also great, I liked having both characters points of view and seeing how they learn to grow throughout the story.  Highly recommend this fun story if you are wanting a fast pace thrill of a romance.  Thank you Netgalley and Sourcebooks Casablanca for my copy to review.
Beyond Power was such a great story. Delilah and her fierce determination to save her sister from the backwards thinking of her family was amazing. She is fearless and ready to take on anyone who gets in her way, including Officer Tanner. The chemistry between Josh and Delilah was intense. They unsuccessfully tried to keep each other at arms length but it didn’t work especially when her life is being threatened. It brought level of suspense as you try to figure out who was following her trying to kill her. Everyone gets their happy ending; Delilah and Josh get their happily ever after and Mama and Mary have their own place and are doing better. Glad to have been able to read this story.

I received an ARC of this book for an honest review.
Story dragged a bit.   Delilah once lived with her in the Florida forrested bayou.   Her family attempted to marry her off to an arms dealer to forge an alliance with another family (gain a higher standing in the militant band of antigoverment.).  The man she was matched with attempted to rape her thd first night they met....shd fought him back, stabbed him and was able to escape.

She has returned to her home town area under the premise of reseaching the local band of monkeys.  After escaping her betrothed she went on to college and is now attempted to get her masters degree.  Her return though had two reasons, to rescue her younger sister from the same fate she experienced at 16, and to research thd monkeys.

"Hollywood " the local fish and game officer finds Delilah attractive, but wonders what happened to her, what caused her not to ask for help.  Hollywood vows to assist Delilah , to kerp her safe.   Delilah 's brother recognized her at the local coffee shop...even though she had been gone eight years.  It appears tha her brother has worked his way up the ladder to being the leader of the arms dealer in the back woods of Florida.

Aaron fears that his sister, Delilah, will stop the new social standing of their family, if she takes their younger sister away from the deal they made to marry her off to another band of militants.

Delilah is almost killed several times, once in a fire,  another with her brake lines being cut, abd lastly being shot at.

I don't want to give the story away...so read it if you like strong women and a good mystery time of book.
3.5 stars-  BEYOND POWER  is the second full-length instalment in Connie Mann’s contemporary adult FLORIDA WILDLIFE WARRIORS romantic suspense series. This is Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officer  Josh Tanner, and Masters wildlife researcher Delilah Atwood’s story line. BEYOND POWER can be read as a stand alone without any difficulty. Any important information from the previous instalment is revealed where necessary.

Told from dual third person perspectives (Josh and Delilah) BEYOND POWER follows Delilah Atwood in her search for her younger sister Mary. Growing up as part of fundamental militant survivalist family Delilah knows only too well that her sister’s future is out of her control. Under the guise of studying a family of monkeys in Ocala, Florida, Delilah hides in plain sight in an effort to uncover the whereabouts of her mother and sister but Delilah never expected to face off against Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation officer Josh Tanner when a man is found murdered, with possible connections to the militant organization of which Delilah was once connected. As Delilah struggles to locate her sister, our heroine will find herself targeted in a game of cat and mouse. What ensues is the slow building romance and relationship between Delilah and Josh, and the potential fall-out when Delilah’s life hangs in the balance, and her time in Ocala, Florida comes to a close.

Delilah Atwood is a strong and independent woman determined to rescue her sister, with or without the help of local law enforcement. Placing herself in danger on more than one occasion, Delilah has a little bit of TSTL (Too stupid to live)  mentality, often disregarding orders from the people in charge.

There is a large ensemble cast of secondary and supporting characters including Hunter and Charlee (Beyond Risk #1), fellow officers Pete Tanner, Marco Sanchez, Lisa Bass aka Fish, IT specialist Byte, counselor Kimberly Gaines; Delilah’s father John Henry, her brother Aaron, her mother and sister Mary; as well as  militia member Nate

BEYOND POWER is a story of a dysfunctional family whose militant ideals are threatened by outsiders, and the power of the local law enforcement community. In an effort to merge for a stronger organization, the local fundamental militia has made a deal, a deal that will directly affect Mary and our story line heroine. As Delilah continues to work on her studies, she uses the research as a means to track her ‘at risk’ sibling.  The premise is intriguing and entertaining; the romance is passionate; the $ex scenes implied; the characters are stubborn, strong, colorful and energetic.

THE READING CAFE: http://www.thereadingcafe.com/beyond-power-florida-wildlife-warriors-by-connie-mann-a-review/

GOODREADS: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3527709904

AMAZON. COM: https://www.amazon.com/review/R1L78VKXSTUTE7/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B088P6C3H7

BOOKBUB: https://www.bookbub.com/reviews/2588538075

B&N (Sandy_thereadingcafe) posted: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/beyond-power-connie-mann/1132011676?ean=9781492672593&bvnotificationId=fad108e6-ee02-11ea-b5b0-12d5bebc4263&bvmessageType=REVIEW_APPROVED&bvrecipientDomain=hotmail.com#review/162188869

iBooks (Sandy Sch) posted
This is the second book in this series..It is a book that sucks you in as it gets further on. It had survivalists and militia. Was hard t read about the way women were treated in the story but very believable. Would be a very good movie you could picture it clearly in your mind as you read it. a bit of romance added in with a great storyline, Lenny of twist as she tries to save her sister from the life as she turns 6 while researching the wildlife towards her collage. Well worth reading look forward to more in this series .
Great second book in the Florida Wildlife Warriors series. Josh and Delilah were excellent as the main characters. Their romance might have been a slow burn, but their chemistry buzzed the air with smexy vibes. They seemed like people you'd really want to know and hang out with. Plus we got to visit with the characters from the first book.

The descriptions of the swampy areas, the waterways, and the monkeys in the trees were interesting and seemed well-thought out. I actually did not know there were monkies in Florida.

I really enjoyed this fun and intriguing  romantic suspense that kept me wondering what was going to happen next. Highly recommend.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, Sourcebooks Casablanca, via NetGalley. My thoughts and opinions are my own and without bias or favor.
Beyond Power is the first story by Connie Mann that I remember reading. It won’t be the last. If like me you find romantic suspense your cup of tea then this is an author for you. While the romance builds, it does not overpower the suspense in the story. The focus stays on the danger, adventure, and mystery within the plot with the romance coming naturally. That is just the way I like it. The characters are aware of each other and their attraction but it is not the instant lust that sometimes happens in romantic suspense.

I was afraid from the cover that it might be a Rambo type story taking place in the wetlands. Then I found that the cover had been revised. This one fits much better. It is not that way at all. Josh Tanner is a by the book Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officer. It reminds me of NCIS New Orleans with the radicals in the area but it is way, way better!

I like this author, her style of writing and the plots. This one shows the plight of many women even here in the US. I will be reading more by her.

An ARC of the book was provided by the publisher through NetGalley which I voluntarily chose to read and reviewed. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Lately I have been in the mood for a gripping, moving, action-packed romantic suspense so when I saw Beyond Power pop up in my feed, the cover and premise immediately begged to be devoured.

And whoa, boy did I devour.

First off, I need to start by saying that I love Josh’s profession. Often in RS you find heroes who are police officers, Navy SEALS, FBI agents, private bodyguards/security officers. This is, without a doubt, the first book I’ve read where the leading man is a Fish and Wildlife conservation officer and that is SUCH a refreshing breath of fresh air. Plus, Josh rocks those uniforms… even if it’s only in my head.

Phew, okay, back to the review.

As one would expect with any decent RS, we have a dead body. Unlike others in this genre I’ve read… there are also wild monkeys. Who knew there were wild monkeys in Florida? Well, Delilah apparently knew because our heroine is studying those crazy creatures, which led to finding the aforementioned dead body.

As much as I love reading RS, I have to say that I find them so hard to review because a good romantic suspense (and, yes, this is SUCH a good romantic suspense) has a million twists and turns and “OMG WTF just happened???” moments that you don’t want to share for fear of ruining it for another reader.

Trust me when I say that this is not only an excellent suspense that keeps you gripping the edge of your seat by the fingernails, it also brings the steamy, sexy romance that will make ice water a necessity.
During this stay at home period I have been reading a lot and so inevitably began to cast a wider net looking for authors that write in the genres I enjoy but haven't read before. Ms. Mann is one such author who I discovered thanks to the awesome power of Netgalley.
Her writing style fits right into my personal sweet spot with enough suspense and action to keep that adrenaline flowing and the sweet romance that keeps my romantic heart beating.
Delilah Atwood escaped from the wild lands of the Florida forests where she grew up, earned a degree, reinvented herself but now she's back where it all started. Her sixteen year old sister is at the cusp of woman hood and the new sacrificial lamb for the family as attested by the burnt toy doll that Delilah finds at one of the family camping sites.  Determined to rescue her sister she roams the forests researching the monkeys she loves who helped her escape her hellish life so long ago and trying to locate her sister.
But someone's watching and they are not hesitate to use guns, fire and other tools to smoke her out and potentially kill her. Fortunately for Delilah the handsome forestry office Josh Tanner comes to her rescue even as he and his team have suspicions of her.  Drugs and guns are being smuggled through these lands and Delilah's family is definitely complicit. As they try to stay one step ahead of trouble and operate within the bounds of the law the attraction between them grows to conflagration that might burn them alive
.I enjoyed the characters so much that I need to go back to the beginning.  Fortunately there's just one earlier book in the series and I've just downloaded that to my kindle.  Can't wait to see this series evolve.