Cover Image: Dinosaur Lady

Dinosaur Lady

I enjoyed reading this book! It is very interesting that the first dinosaur skeleton was found by a woman who simply enjoyed collecting fossils, and how her interest grew. We have a friend who has made discoveries of dinosaur fossils in the same way. The one thing I did not appreciate about this book was that “millions of years” was presented as fact.

I received a free copy of this book from Net Galley, and these are my honest thoughts about it.
This book was okay. I didn’t love it. Lots of good information but just was not entertaining. The illustrations were just okay for me too.
Mary Anning grew up by the sea in England and spent her childhood searching the shores for shells, rocks, and fossils. Her curiosity led her to research everything she could about the bones and fossils she found. One day, while on the beach with her brother, they discovered a dinosaur skull before the word 'dinosaur' even existed! Her discovery went off to a museum for others to ponder over. Meanwhile, Mary continued to make new and exciting discoveries despite the limitations she had at a time when women weren't even allowed to go to university. Nonetheless, her discoveries helped form paleontology!

Dinosaur Lady is a wonderful look at the life and discoveries Mary Anning, the first paleontologist, with lovely illustrations that make you feel like you are right there with her combing the beach and discovering bone formations in the cliff sides.

I really enjoyed that some of the scientific names of the fossils and shells that Mary collected were included in the story, like ammonite and coprolite, as well as the overall museum feel of the book! I also love a good story about a woman persevering despite her limitations! This book is inspiring!

Includes a spread about 'bone bits and facts' as well as a timeline spread of Mary's life and discoveries!
This book is great. It is hard to find wonderfully illustrated and fun books about women who made a difference.
'Dinosaur Lady' by Linda Skeers with illustrations by Marta Alvarez Miguens is a picture book based on a real person.

Mary Anning grew up in England by the beach.  She liked to dig in the rocks and sand for shells and fossils.  One day she found something really different.  It was the skeleton of a creature named an Ichthyosaurus, a dinosaur.  Her work was the beginning of field paleontology.

I was a big fan of the author's first book 'Shark Lady,' and this one was just as good.  Really great storytelling with really great artwork.

I received a review copy of this ebook from Sourcebooks Kids and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this ebook.
"She sells seashells on the seashore." Many of us hear that tongue twister as children, but we do not hear the story of the woman it is based on. Mary Anning's life is described for us in this lovely picture book biography. We read of her collecting fossils and shells that her family sold to tourists to support themselves. With no formal training, she taught herself what to look for and discovered the skeleton of what was named "ichthyosaurus." Although she lived at a time when women were not expected or even allowed to be scientists, Mary made amazing finds in the field of fossils and the men who were allowed to pursue their scientific dreams came to her for answers.

Illustrations show Mary climbing over cliffs and rocks, digging with her hammer and chisel in all kinds of weather. They also show "geologists, scientists, and scholars" trailing along behind her. Along with an author's note there are also a timeline of Miss Anning's life and "Bone Bits and Fossil Facts" among the back matter. Although we may feel frustrated on her behalf, at least we have the satisfaction that Mary's contributions to the field are finally being recognized. With books like these, young readers will have the chance to appreciate her perseverance and self-taught expertise.
*Thank you to NetGalley and Sourcebooks for a digital review copy in exchange for an honest opinion.

Dinosaur Lady is a fascinating look at the life of Mary Anning who helped create the field of paleontology. In 1811 she unearthed a never before seen animal that was millions of years old. She was curious and adventurous and kept exploring, even in a time when girls were supposed to be demure and lady like. She kept making discoveries that excited the world, but her name was never mentioned. While we don't often hear her name, Mary Anning was a force in scientific research.  The illustrations capture a reader's interest and even the frustration of being left out of the "boys club." A great timeline is also included in the endpapers.
As a child, I loved learning about dinosaurs at school. However, I had no idea that the first paleontologist was an English woman in her early twenties named Mary Anning. Dinosaur Lady recounts the story of Mary’s first fossil discoveries and how she was initially not given credit for them, being a woman in a time when joining the Geological Society of London or studying/teaching wasn’t allowed. I found this book to be highly educational and it’s perfect to share with children who are learning about dinosaurs at school. Thank you to Sourcebooks Kids and NetGalley for an advance copy in exchange for a review.
Dinosaur Lady is an illustrated biography of Mary Anning, a fossilist who is widely regarded as one of the first paleontologists helping to define the discipline in addition to making significant contributions and discoveries. Due out 7th July 2020 from Sourcebooks, it's 40 pages and will be available in hardcover and ebook formats.

I love children's nonfiction. This is a well written, factually based, beautifully illustrated biography aimed at younger readers (~4-8 years of age) which manages to provide a kid-friendly version of Anning's often frustrating and impoverished life. She was rejected by the scientific establishment at the same time they were acknowledging her as an expert in her field. The book gleefully provides the information that she correctly identified coprolites as fossilized feces as well as identifying fossilized ink sacs from early cephalopods (squids).

The text is age appropriate and engaging. The art is beautifully rendered and supports the text very well. This is definitely a book which would grab the interest of most kids. I found it interesting and learned quite a lot of information of which I was previously unaware.

The book includes an abbreviated timeline of Anning's discoveries and contributions along with contemporary occurrences as well as a short glossary.

Five stars. This would make a great selection for a classroom or public library, as well as the child's home library or a gift.

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher for review purposes
I remember when my nephew was really little and how much he loved dinosaurs and declared that he was going to be a paleontologist, at the time this would have been the perfect book for him and I feel like many budding paleontologists will love this book.
Dinosaur Lady by Linda Skeers celebrates Mary Anning and her skills in what we come to learn throughout the book as being very much a man's world. What starts as Mary's hobby soon becomes what keeps Mary's family fed and clothed after her father dies. Her finds have shaped the world of paleontology and she continued to spend her life dedicated to finding fossils and sharing them with the world.
I find that non-fiction content that reads like fiction is quite engaging for children and hooks them into the story. The timeline and definitions at the end of the book is the icing on the cake and give the reader a lot of interesting information in a different form and help them understand what the terms are that they discovered throughout the book.
I like that Linda didn't avoid the sexism that was evident during the time and I feel that she wrote about it tactfully and respectfully. I like that regardless of the sexism that Mary continued to work at discovering fossils and this is great for children to see that regardless of what they come up against they just need to keep going.
I think this is a fantastic book and will make a wondering addition to any child's library.
Thank you NetGalley and Sourcebooks for sharing this book with me in exchange for an honest review. Fans of Jess Keatings Shark Lady will love Dinosaur Lady! This is a book about Mary Anning who changed the way the scientific world viewed the natural world and helped kick-start Paleontology with her discoveries. Mary was a brave, daring, and intelligent woman who dared to be different. This is a great story to show how asking questions and having curiosity can lead to great things and how never backing down in the face of adversity can help change the world. I highly recommend this picture book.
Dinosaur Lady: The Daring Discoveries of Mary Anning, the First Paleontologist by Linda Skeers is a nonfiction picturebook that is currently scheduled for release on July 1 2020. As a kid, Mary Anning loved hunting for fossils with her father. One day, that hobby led to an unexpected discovery: the skeleton of a creature no one had never seen before! Mary had unearthed a dinosaur fossil, the first to ever be discovered. Her find reshaped scientific beliefs about the natural world and led to the beginning of a brand new field of study: paleontology. For the rest of her life, Mary continued to make astonishing finds and her fossils are displayed in museums all across the world! The daring discoveries of Mary Anning not only changed the scientific world, but also helped change people’s attitudes towards women scientists.

Dinosaur Lady is a picturebook that not only talks about the early years and discoveries in paleontology, but how women were viewed in science, and to a certain degree still are. I liked the illustrations, they added a great deal of detail and heart to each page. I thought the information included was interesting and was accessible. I think the narrative and information were well balanced and should keep the reader's interest. I also liked the additional information that was included at the end of the book. I really enjoyed the read and think the book just might inspire kids interested in topic others might try to dissuade them from perusing to keep on studying and working towards their goals.

Dinosaur Lady is a engaging and informative book that would be a great addition to all libraries. Hopefully it will encourage more young scientists to follow their interests.
Mary Anning could be otherwise called the Mother of Paleontology. Her early discoveries helped scientists and scholars understand the age of the earth and that species could potentially go extinct. This book is engaging, my two and a half year old announced halfway through, "I love this book!". The illustrations are perfect for young readers and also do a fantastic job of highlighting Mary's accomplished life.

The book also includes a timeline and extra information for further learning for older youth readers. I highly recommend this book.
A fascinating story for readers of all ages. We loved reading along and guessing what each discovery might hold. The bone and fossil facts at the ending was educational and fun for the little ones. Children remained engaged in the story to the very end. Although a bit lengthy, the story was quite charming and the illustrations really colourful and fun. This book inspires little girls everywhere to dream the biggest dreams and never let anyone - especially male dominated career paths - to hold you back from your heart's desires. Keep on going, always! Some of the world's greatest discoveries  have been made by women who were once little girls with big ambitions and dreams! Love this book! Thanks to #Netgally and the author for the e-ARC!
Dinosaur Lady by Linda Skeers (and illustrated by Marta Álvarez Miguéns) introduces younger readers to Mary Anning, who discovered the first dinosaur back in the 1800s. Her finding on a local beach was originally thought to be a fake, since it was so bizarre!

Skeers' writing highlights Anning's tenacity, as her curiosity and drive to discover more about dinosaurs leads her to carve her own path. There's a teachable moment about the barriers women faced in getting into science here, as Anning is rejected from tertiary study and joining the Geological Society of London despite her expertise.

Miguéns style is a gorgeous accompaniment to Anning's story, layering gradients and textures in the beach backgrounds, and adding a flair to both Anning's character and the male scientists she constantly leaves baffled.

As you can see, I loved this book, learning more about the field of paleontology and discovering more about dinosaurs! Recommended for younger readers curious about nature, science, and of course dinosaurs themselves.

I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review - thank you to Netgalley and Sourcebooks.
This is a really interesting book!  I had never heard of Mary Anning and am really glad that I now know about her and her achievements; what an amazing woman!  My daughter loves dinosaurs and this is exactly the type of book I would give her to read since it is well written and illustrated, contains lots of facts about Anning and dinosaurs, and shows an influential woman in the field of science.  Well done!
This well done early elementary biography on a little written about STEM role model, incorporates plenty of information for those reading for reports but presents it in a very readable and entertaining fashion. The illustrations add to the story by hearkening back to period ones but in a very inviting way, setting the scene in a friendly and appealing way. The subject is a giant in science and an excellent role model for all children. Readers will take away a valuable lesson in persistence and acceptance. Highly recommended!
I received an ARC through NetGalley from Sourcebooks Kids. My 5 year old who loves dinosaurs gave this book 5 stars. My whole family was enthralled by Mary’s Monsters and her discoveries. Imagine the first dinosaur bones being uncovered by a woman in 1811 before scientists even knew creatures could become extinct and before they knew dinosaurs had existed. This is an empowering and exciting picture book for kids. It is easy to read and captures the thrill of discovery. My son loved the timeline and facts at the end of the book that brought the whole story into perspective. It wasn’t until 2010 that Mary was recognized as an influential woman of science. Recommended for ages 4-8.
I received an electronic ARC from Sourcebook Kids through NetGalley.
Elementary level biography of Mary Anning. Skeers shares information about her life and discoveries. She addresses the lack of respect for women in science at that time as part of Anning's life story. She also includes fossil and dinosaur facts and a timeline of her life at the end of the book. The Author's Notes offers more information as well.
The illustrations captured Mary's energy and range of emotions. Readers can see her determination and perseverance to explore and support herself.
This is a book for mid-elementary level. It's a starting point biography to encourage further exploration.
Disclaimer: I received a free digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I read this book to my 4 year old and she really enjoyed it. The story was the perfect length for a preschool/lower elementary school read aloud and the illustrations were clear and followed the story line in a clear way- which I'm finding is very important for a budding reader! This is definitely a book I would recommend to others, especially those interested in paleontology and female scientists.