The Iron Crown

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 May 2020

A wonderful conclusion to this highly entertaining series. It wraps up the overreaching series story arc in a very satisfying manner, it was all I could have hoped for for this amazing cast of characters. I was hooked on the series from the first chapter of book one and my interest never waned, I highly recommend reading the series in order because not one minute of this wonderfully engaging tale is to be missed.

*I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book provided by NetGalley*
I really wanted to read this book, and I was not disappointed.
It is the culmination of all the things that happened in the previous books, and the truth is that I LOVE  the way the stories of the three brothers intermingle. I mean, obviously, they are brothers, but each one has a story so different from the other that it makes the trilogy super entertaining to read.

I loved the story of Lugh and Keiran, I was super intrigued by the whole matter of The Hunt, and I loved that whole part of the book, but the last chapters were wonderful and had all this super epic mood that had me without letting go until I finish it the book. I loved reading the three brothers together and all the tension of the battle, and seeing the main characters from the previous two books again.

Each of the characters has reasons for their super valid and well thought out actions. This is something that I love to read in sagas or trilogies with many characters, and each of them have different stories and personalities.

I really don't know how to summarize this, but I loved this trilogy.
If you are looking for something epic, with beautiful characters, good stories and romances, you have to read these books!
3.75 Stars

Clearly, I overlooked that cover or I would’ve figured that’s the way the story would go! mean, look him (guy on the cover) and guess his description matched whom (in the story). 😁

I was surprised over how much I liked this story; after all I wasn’t all that impressed when Lugh and Keiran came into the picture on the previous books though I was curious of these best friends’s story. THE IRON CROWN is a wonderful completion to M.A. Grant’s “The Darkest Court” trilogy. The series of incidents that took place in previous books culminated in the final battle in this third installment of the series. Part of the story happened concurrently with those on “Prince of Air and Darkness” and “The Marked Prince” - intertwined to mould a scheme started (off page) on the first book. Which made it clear that the three books need to be read in order to better know who’s who and get the backstory as much as underlying sense of it all.

Similar to the previous entries, this is a moderate pace, dual POVs tale, journaling the adventure of Lugh and Keiran - the first the youngest of Queen Mab’s and the later the human child he saved from the rubble of a village after the Seelie troops razed it to the ground (if you had no idea what I’m referring to with Queen Mab, Seelie, Unseelie fae and such, you really need to back track to the first book). As the finale - so to speak - it’s an all encompassing tale; going on revealing the heck’s been going wrong and who’s been behind them yet also - through flashbacks, some detailed and some scattered - glimpsed on the pasts of the major players in this conflict. This illustrated the touching and heartbreaking fact (Lugh with the shades and Keiran with annihilation of his family) not only to our heroes but to the blackguard as well (though their painful upbringing was hardly an excuse for their horrible greed and murderous path). I didn’t particularly relished part of the events that unfurled - it’s obviously necessary for the plot to work but I really hate bad people got an upper hand - yet karma did pay off in the end.

The romance here put slow burn on a new scale - I mean, talk about centuries barely doing anything whilst holding your feeling. Mad!! Although without being an actual couple they already acted - and treated - like old married one! I think couple dynamic wise, theirs was the best over Lugh’s siblings ‘s (even when they had their moments of doubting the other’s conviction). Though what I loved about this book was not only the love story between our heroes but brotherhood love between existing and made family. THE IRON CROWN did a good job in patching things up and concluding the saga in a way that made me happy.

Copy of this book is kindly given by the author/publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
One of my most highly anticipated books of 2020 delivers!

I've loved The Darkest Court series from the first book. Urban fantasy is usually a tough sell for me, but author M.A. Grant has written a fusion of contemporary fantasy that works on every level. The lore is clearly defined and the characters are relatable.

The Iron Crown brings the plot started in book one and continued in book two to a terrific conclusion. Layered between is the romance between Lugh and Keiran. The element of this series I have enjoyed the most is that both men are equal partners in plot and power. While the books tell the story of the darkest court, Smith, Sebastien, and in The Iron Crown, Keiran, are given huge roles to play. I honestly couldn't tell you which journey fascinated me more: Lugh's uncanny gift or Keiran's unexpected 'ascension.'

With friends to lovers being my favourite romantic trope, I was one very happy reader by the end.

Highly recommended.
How am I supposed to review the ending of a series that somehow slipped in when I wasn't paying attention and stole my heart without me noticing? I have so many feelings and thoughts and love for Finny, Roark, Seb, Slaine, Lugh, and Keiran. They're all wonderful and complicated disasters and I adore them and their lovely creator so very much. 💖

The Iron Crown is the explosive enchanting finale to The Darkest Court series. The Iron Crown brings everyone's stories together as we race to the brink of a Faerie Civil War and of course I stayed up well past my bedtime a few nights in a row because I had to know what happens to these characters I've come to love. I was immensely satisfied with the ending but I wouldn't object to more stories from this universe. Alas, all good things must come to an end eventually. I still have the TIC audiobook, narrated by the talented John Solo, to look forward to. I highly recommend. All the stars. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Each book in the series has followed a different set of characters and some of my favorite romance tropes. Without spoiling which is which, though it's not hard to figure out, we get roommates-to-lovers, enemies(rivals)-to-lovers, and bffs-to-lovers, so there's something for everyone or for every Court or something like that. 😉

The Darkest Court is one of the best series I've ever read and it will forever have a spot on my shelves.

I will edit in links to my Spotify playlists for each book after I make one for TIC.

Thank you so incredibly much to Carina Press and M.A. Grant for a series that has brought me so much joy.
Urm. I’m lost for words, which is an unusual place for me to be in given how much I can talk (and write).

But this book stunned me into almost silence, I say almost because you all know I won’t be quiet for long.

So, how to review The Iron Crown? Firstly, it’s fantasy at its best, drawing on all the ancient skills of storytelling to weave a tale which pulls the reader along.

It begins with Lugh, youngest son of the Unseelie Court, leader of The Wild Hunt and semi-self exiled Winter Court Prince.

At his side is Keiran, the Viking child he rescued from almost death at the hands of the ‘Light Ones’ the Seelie Fae of the Summer Court. Now grown and protecting him with the power of the berserker.

It’s complex, full of threads which wind themselves around to create a twisted narrative that takes some of the lesser-known folklore and legends of the British Isles (geographical land mass not political country 😉 ) and morphs them into an adventurous tale anchored on the love of two men.

There were losses on the way, and I felt them keenly, raged against the treachery and destruction, I hurt for the lost souls, betrayed by false hope.

At its heart, this is a fantasy tale. The relationship is the core, but it’s not a romance in the typical sense, so don’t expect loads of snogging and on page sex or you’ll be disappointed.

I wasn’t disappointed myself because I am such a folklore and mythology nerd and because the love between Lugh and Keiran bounces off the page in bucket loads.

The twists and new interpretations M.A. Grant brings to the legends of the Fae, the incorporation of Norse ideas and sagas into the mix, crafts an almost Odyssey-like adventure full of secrets and surprises.

The final dramatic moments had me gasping, literally, when I saw where things were going. A triumph of clues laid down way earlier in the previous books and a truly clever conclusion to the series.

That’s as much as you’ll get from me about the plot itself, it runs parallel to the later events of books one and two and absolutely must be read in order.

On my favourites shelf along with its siblings and all hail The Darkest Court.
Thank you, NetGalley and the publisher for the chance to read this book!

Rating: 4 stars
Rep: M/M
Trigger warnings: violence, gore, war, death.

While I'm sad this series has come to an end, the last book definitely didn't disappoint! I've been following these books since the beginning as I adore anything fae, fantasy and LGBTQ+ so this was the perfect trilogy for me.

This last book follows Lugh, the youngest brother, and Keiran, his best friend. I would 100% recommend reading the previous books as these can't really be read as standalone's. As I read the first book back in 2018 and the second book in 2019, my memory of events was a bit patchy so this was a little hard to follow sometimes and I do wish I reread the other books before diving into this one.

Nevertheless, I still adore this world and I think Keiran and Lugh are my favourite couple, their relationship was so gradual (friends to lovers), with centuries of tension and pining. It's obvious how much they care for each other and I loved the fact that they communicated so well, with no miscommunications at all.

The writing style was amazing as ever, it was effortless and drew me into the story almost immediately. This book definitely felt a little slower than the previous two books, but it wasn't something that bothered me at all. I also adored the brothers' connection and how they all started to fix their relationship and grow closer.

One thing I would've liked a bit more of is in-depth characterisation of the side characters, especially the characters that made up The Hunt.

Overall, an amazing end to a great series, I can't wait to read more by this author in the future!
Friends to lovers...Lugh and Keiran are the ultimate friends to lovers even tho they were pretty much life partners already

This story is a fitting ending to the series, and I’m sad to see it end. It starts off running along the same timeline as the first two, but then the books collide.

And the action simply doesn’t stop.

Lugh and Keiran and the Hunt are constantly on the move. They have their official mission, but Lugh’s magic leads them astray quite often. And Lugh’s magic is horrifying and amazing and super fucking cool.

Keiran is a rock...but I’d argue that Lugh is a rock as well. Can’t have one without the other.

Highly recommend the entire series.
I was so excited (as always!) to receive an ARC of The Iron Crown by M.A. Grant, so thank you to #NetGalley and the publisher for keeping this fantasy & fae lover very happy 😊

So this is the third and final book in The Darkest Court trilogy, with each book based on one of the sons of Queen Mab, and the part they play in an epic battle between good and evil, Seelie and Unseelie, the Slaugh, some longggg living humans, ghosts (aka 'shades'), magic and everything in between.

The Iron Crown focuses on Lugh, the youngest of the three brothers, and his developing relationship with his (initially non-intimate) partner, best friend, loyal side kick (so many feels) Kieren, who is human but with a little (grudging) help from Queen Mab has been around for centuries.

As with the previous books, all of the back stories and loose ends are tied up nicely and this installment finally brings all of the brothers back together again. So good to have lots more Roark action (my definite fave😍). As the youngest brother, Lugh has always seemed somehow 'less' in previous books, but we finally get to find out the weight he has been carrying for centuries and he really comes into his own. As does Kieren. Can't say more for fear of spoilers!

The main action takes place on the road and the battlefield, so not too much angsty romance, but the feels are still there.

Make sure you read the books in order!

Highly recommended 5 ✨✨✨✨✨
Winter is coming!

Wait, wrong universe, but I definitely got that same sort of pins-and-needles, action-packed feel from this last installment of "The Darkest Court" series that I did from the last few seasons of "Game of Thrones".

Much like the first two books, a large part of this book was an introduction to one of Queen Mab's three sons, and their eventual love interest, not only discovering who they were now, but also a lot of back-story surrounding events that happened in their pasts.

Here, we met Lugh, the youngest brother, who'd fled the Unseelie sidhe centuries ago, after being (literally) haunted by ghosts of the past, in favor of roaming Slaugh territory as leader of his Wild Hunt, helping the non-Fae caught between the Summer and Winter Courts politics and general fuckery.

By his side was his best friend and most staunch ally, Keiran, a human that he'd rescued from near-death long ago. Saying their relationship was complicated would be a huge understatement, but for all intents and purposes, they'd been platonic partners for centuries.

This was a love story, but I'd say that it was much more of a "fantasy" romance than an "epic" romance, since the story was infinitely more focused on the non-stop action and overcoming the bad guys than sitting around and lovingly braiding one another's hair while talking about their deep, undying feelings for one another.

I mentioned Lugh's ghosts of the past, but the landscape over which the Wild Hunt is dragged for most of this story was *very* directly affected by the ghosts of the present.

Although Queen Mab had charged Lugh to rush to a potential ally to request their assistance in the Winter Court's imminent battle, the aforementioned ghosts continued to pinball Lugh off course along the way, seemingly with little rhyme or reason, but in the end, all of those side trips led Lugh and Keiran to the place where they ultimately needed to be to succeed and save the day. For everyone.

The story fully delivered on its promise of an exciting, arduous ride, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but I was hoping for a slightly deeper level of feels than the book possessed. I'm all for intense action, but at my core, I'm mainly an intense romance kinda guy.

All of the angst came completely from external sources, with no real in-fighting between the MC's, for which I was thankful, seeing as how I've had enough "Big Misunderstandings" to last me about a buhjillion goddamn lifetimes, and the steam was about as fade to black as I've read lately.

One of my favorite parts of this story was how the previously-distant and aloof brothers finally began reconnecting, in spite of their cold and seemingly-uncaring mother's attempts to play them against one another. In that regard, the series ended in a very good place as far as I was concerned.

I'd rate this story at around 4.25 stars and recommend it to any fans of M/M fae fantasy.
Iron Crown is an exciting conclusion to this excellent series.  The final showdown when all of our characters are reunited is very satisfying.  The ending feels very well-earned and will give readers closure.  By having the third book in the trilogy end so well, recommending the entire series to friends and patrons will be super easy and you know they won't be disappointed.