Cover Image: Hood

Hood

*Thanks to NetGalley for the ecopy
I know I wanted a retelling of Robin Hood, however, this wasn't it. I made the best out of a tricky situation so I still enjoyed the book, just not as much if it were all about Marian and Robin. I still love a bada-- girl leading the merry men and some good ol' chase scenes, fights, tears and love.
I loved the writing style, it really immerses you into the book. I loved Isabelle and her use of her spirit as her beacon, with strength and intelligence.
The story is very interesting! I'm very interested in the plot and the characters, and I loved every minute of it.

The main character took a while to get used to, she seemed too stubborn for me at the beginning.
This is the Robin Hood book I've been waiting for! I have read a lot of novels based on the tales of Robin Hood, but none quite satisfied me the way this one did. Though Robin isn't the main character (his daughter is), the feel of the book and the characters are what I want when I read a Robin Hood novel: Fun, lively, with a bit of devil-may-care, but also with a dash of seriousness and a bit of drama. I highly recommend "Hood" for all fans of the tales of Robin Hood.
This is the story of what happened after Robin Hood and Maid Marian after their happily ever after. This is the story of there daughter Isabelle and her fight against the Wolf, King John's right hand. I loved this story. Isabelle is strong just like her parents and she fights the good fight.
"Hood" is another of many Disney/Fairy Tale YA retellings that have been saturating the publishing market for several years now. Unfortunately, compared to the very many retellings that have been released over the years, there isn't much that stands out about this one. I really enjoyed that gender swapping of the main characters, especially the "Merry Men." But it's not really an original concept and the book suffers from some pacing issues, sacrificing character background and details for propelling the plot forward.
I absolutely loved this imagining of a life after the very well=told tale of Robin Hood and his Merry Men. It was difficult to ever put this down between reading sessions and the adventure/pacing was spot-on. Hit the right emotional notes when needed, without straying too far into cloying.
This is such a great book. While it is suitable for younger audiences, it never feels juvenile. I love how Disney has been taking stories everyone knows and turning them into something richer for new audiences. I would recommend this book for any young adult reader or Disney fanatic.
Isabelle lives in a convent with her mother, Marien. She's unaware of who her father really is - Robin Hood. When she gets in trouble and is arrested, her mother helps her get out and tells her to find a man named Thomas. When she meets him, she is to tell him that "The Wolf is back," even though she has no clue what this means. Isabelle then goes on a journey she wasn't expecting.

This story was very well done. You meet old characters from the Robin Hood tales, as well as new ones. It was fun and believable story about what could happen with Robin Hood's daughter. I honestly hope the author writes a sequel! I would be eager to see what happens next in this story!
I do not know anyone who does not enjoy the Robin Hood stories he is one of the original hero/vigilantes and I think those who love Robin Hood would enjoy Hood. I enjoyed our protagonist Isabelle enough, but I think the action and adventure is what really make the book. We follow Isabelle on her journey to track down her infamous father and meeting outlaws, cutthroats, and mercenaries in the Sherwood forest. We get a touch of romance and a good cast of female characters as well. Overall Hood is a good addition to the retelling genre
Now, I’ve read many retellings but never a reimagining of Robin Hood. Of course, that meant that I needed to get my hands on this one. The biggest difference is that this story’s main character is in fact the daughter of Robin Hood. That may be the case but we do see some others that anyone who knows the tale of Robin Hood would recognize, such as Little John and Marien.

Isabelle is hit hard with the sudden news that her father is the famous Robin Hood and now she must find him. I know I would be hit hard with just knowing my father was Robin Hood, let alone knowing I must journey to find him to save my mother and keep her safe. That is a lot of pressure on someone’s shoulders but she doesn’t let it stop her. It took me a little while to really enjoy Isabelle as a character. I think as the story progressed, I grew to really enjoy her. She has a fiery spirit and I think that might be part of the reason I liked her in the end, her will and passion. I will say that as far as characters went, I was really hoping for better villains. They fell a little flat. The characters I think I loved most were the merry men. They were probably my favorite because of their interactions with one another…that and the fact that they accepted Isabelle without even knowing who she was, that says a lot about who they are. I was really happy that the romance was not a major focus in the book, that can be refreshing. The romance that was in this story was completely predictable with little build-up and all too much instalove.

The first thing I noticed about this novel was how the author wasted no time throwing you into the middle of the story. I don’t mind that because it leaves me to discover information as the characters do…however, some might not. It felt like readers were truly thrown into a story where they had no idea what was happening. In the first chapter we see Isabelle thrown in prison and then she’s out again…again, with no true explanation. A lot happens at the start, really fast and with little to no back story.

Overall, this was a beautifully written world with a fast-paced plot and well-developed characters that bring with them some nostalgia with stories of our childhood. A solid story and characters you tend to enjoy later on…this book was an enjoyable read. I’m not sure it was high on my list of books I’d love to re-read anytime soon but it was something that I enjoyed as I turned the pages. Looking for a read that will be quick and entertaining? Why not give this new retelling of Robin Hood a chance?
While I never really went through a “Robin Hood” phase, I did always find the premise interesting. Hood takes “Robin Hood” and asks, “what’s next?”

Well, in this story, Robin Hood has a daughter – Isabelle. She’s skilled with a bow, and she has a way of getting herself into trouble. She also has no idea that she’s Robin Hood’s daughter until she and her mother become the target of The Wolf, a dangerous man who is fiercely loyal to the King.

From the start, readers will be pulled in with the quick action action and intense emotions that Isabelle encounters on her way to find Robin Hood. Quick dialogue that is thoughtful and witty in a way that isn’t constant snark (bookish pet peeve of mine) makes the story even more enjoyable, despite the fact that the plot is pretty straight forward and there are not many twists.

I think that reluctant readers and younger teens will especially enjoy Hood because of how quickly the story moves and that the new generation of Merry Men are fun, well-written, and they generally act like teenagers – which is to say that they’re observant, full of quick wit and snappy remarks, and they are quick to learn their world and its many issues. Each character brought a different skill and personality to the team, and I wish I had gotten even more interactions – especially with Helen and Patrick. They were definitely my favorites.

One thing that I especially enjoyed that I don’t think we see in many YA books is positive parent/child interactions. Isabelle had so much love for her parents, and would do anything to protect them. They adored their daughter, praised her, and spoke honestly and thoughtfully with her. It was a pleasant surprise that added an extra dose of heart to the story.

Overall, I would recommend Hood to anyone looking for a quick, enjoyable Robin Hood spin-off. It’s a great pick-me-up book if you’re in a bit of a slump, and it is truly written for teens as opposed to 20 and 30 – something year olds who really enjoy YA.
As a mom trying to find books for a readers who is 11 years old isn't easy.  She finished Harry Potter Series in 3 months. (Yes most of it was read during Spring Break and Lock Down)

When I was given a chance for her to find a new series published though disney I was beyond excited.

This book will not disappoint readers young and old! Readers will fall in love with the story of Robin Hood once again as Jenny Elder Moke bring readers into her world!

My daughter could not put the book down once she started and after she finished she asked me if i had more stories like this for her to read. (I love Robin Hood themed Stories)

Review from daughter

Oh My Gosh I couldn't put the story down.  It was awesome and the characters oh my gosh mom King John Agg but everyone else was amazing! I can't wait to read the next book by who is the author?  Does she have more books to read?

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher Disney-Hyperion for the advance copy of Jenny Elder Moke Hood.
Hood is everything a Robin Hood fan could ever ask for ;  adventure , cunning tricks and escapades , and wit . In a way that is fondly reminiscent of BBC'S Robin Hood . ( Which you should go watch if you haven't ! )

Our heroine Isabelle lives in a nunnery where she was raised by her mother
( Marian ). Unexpected events force her to flee from  home ,bow in hand to deliver a message . The quest soon turns dangerous ,leaving her with an ultimatum ; either deliver the father she never knew into the hands of the Sheriff, or lose her beloved mother to the noose.  What at first seemed a simple choice now is tearing her apart  when faced with the reality of who her father truly is .

I loved this so much it had all of the things I love about the Robin Hood legend . It was nostalgic continuation of the Merry Men and the story of Robin Hood .

While this wasn't my favorite book ever it was still an enjoyable adventure in the world of Robin Hood .

Content : PG-13

Action violence

Mild language

I cannot believe I had the opportunity to read this !! Thanks, so so much to the author most of all ( you're amazing ) the publisher , and Netgalley for this free copy in exchange for an honest review . You made one of Robin Hoods' biggest fans dreams come true ! 🥰

I was supposed to review this back in June but due to me heading back to work suddenly, I didn't have time to stay on top of all the books I would've read during self isolation . A thousand pardons . 😅
Hood is a standalone retelling of Robin Hood, or more accurately it's a continuation. Isabelle of Kirklees leads quiet life with her mother Marian inside a convent but when she gets arrested for defending innocent villagers she becomes the target of King John's ruthless right hand man, the Wolf. Marian helps Isabelle escape and with little fanfare tells her to find the father she never knew, Robin Hood. As she's still reeling from this bombshell and running for her life, she eventually joins forces with Merry Men who will lead her to Robin. She discovers more of her family's history (and enemies), what the Merry Men stand for and a chance to figure out what her path is. It's definitely on the light and adventurous side and never delves too deep into each of the character or their origin story. It stays fair superficial throughout but I didn't mind it. It's a quick, fun romp that certainly entertained me even if it didn't necessarily become a new favorite.

Do I recommend? I do! I've always enjoyed the tale of Robin Hood and I enjoyed seeing this YA take on it.
Such a fun take on a classic story I really enjoyed this adventure overall. The action was exciting and kept the story moving wonderfully. The characters weren’t developed quite as intelligently as I would’ve liked, there were several times I questioned the believability of Isabelle’s actions. I really think the younger side of this genre will appreciate the fresh take on a new Robin Hood adventure.
Does anyone remember the movie The Princess of Thieves? This book reminds me of a reboot of this movie. But more of what if she did not start with the Merry Men. I love what-if stories and alternate scenarios. This one I enjoyed. I am hoping for a sequel but will be happy with what we got.

Isabelle of Kirklees is the main character of this story. Isabelle could be rounded a little more, but it is not enough to call her a flat character. You see her flaws and how they related to her time growing up in the quiet life inside the sheltered walls of the convent where she lives with her mother, Marien, and her growth when she is with the “new-gen” of Merry Men. What I liked about her is, you can tell whose daughter she is by her personality and she is still her own self. Isabelle is an interesting character and loved how you see who she is throughout the book.

There was a part of this book where it reminded me of The Prince of Thieves movie. The part where we see the Merry Men’s village in Sherwood forest. I could relate to most of this part from the movie how it was the first time Marien saw the village to how it was when Isabelle first saw it. The gathering of the families at the tables, the homes up in trees, and various other things. The way the Merry Men interact with each other and how everyone seems to not care what the backgrounds are as long as you are loyal to Robin and prove your place amongst them.

Adam, Patrick, Little, and Helena are who I like to call the “new-gen” of the Merry Men. I fell in love with these characters. Each one is different, and yet they fight like siblings. I enjoyed learning about them throughout the novel. They were well flushed. The small rivalry between Isabelle and Helena was great to see. How accepted Isabelle into the group was great to see after she proved herself to be amongst them. I would love to see more of these characters.

I enjoyed this book and would recommend this to those who love fun reading and what-if books.
The Pros: What worked for me

I liked that the story was not an exact replica of the original Robin Hood tale. The author took liberties to change things up and I really liked this because it brings some variety to a well-known story.

This book was fast-paced and action-packed! There was always something happening and I was zooming through this book because there was not a single dull moment.

I love the band of Merry Men! They were so lovable and funny that they lifted the story up and gave it some positive vibes.

The Cons: What I didn't like

I didn’t really get a feel for the main character or for the character of Robin Hood. This might be because of the fast pace of the novel not giving the story enough time to develop the characters. It was just hard to connect to both of them and enjoy their relationship.

Overall, this story read almost like a movie in that it was fast-paced and I could envision everything happening so clearly in my head! If you are looking for a Robin Hood retelling that you will whiz through, consider this one. I’m giving it 3/5 stars.
I love a good retelling! This book was really fun. I thought the authors writing and plot were very well thought out and enjoyed watching the story unfold. I never really felt like there was a spot in this book where it slowed down, which is a good thing. Thank for the opportunity to read and review early.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to review this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

There were many aspects of this book that I enjoyed: Isabelle’s bond with her parents, The Merry Men, Robin Hood’s personality and kindness. The action sequences were a lot of fun and Adam, Little, Patrick & Helena’s banter is hilarious.

“You have the blood of kings and rebels within you, love. Let it rise to meet the call.”

Some things that took me out of the story: I felt like it took a little too long for the story to pick up. In the first 40% of the story, I found it very easy to put the book down and wasn’t too invested in what was going on. Once Robin Hood enters the picture I felt like the storyline was gripping and I finished the second half of the book in the span of a few hours.

Overall, I enjoyed the story. It’s not a new favorite but I had a great time reading it!
I wanted to like this more. The Outlaws of Sherwood remains, for me, an exemplar among Robin Hood retellings. Unfortunately it sets a very high bar. Hood is very good historical fiction and a fun reinterpretation but was not quite what I wanted. When I look for Robin Hood retellings I really want a story focusing on Robin Hood and Marian and the Merry Men, not a story about Robin Hood’s child and what comes next.