Cover Image: The Morning Flower

The Morning Flower

I really enjoyed the world-building in this book but I could have done with a bit more action. I didn't really care about the romance set up between Pan and Ulla as it was set up so slow. I don't know if I really care to read the third book to be completely honest.
Thank you Net Galley & St. Martins Press for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
Woo!! Another book my Amanda Hocking!  I'll admit I always get excited when I've got a new book/ series from her; and this book like all other did not disappoint.

I will note- that unlike so many other series you will most certainly need to read the first book in the Omte series if would want to have a clue as to whats going on.  Hocking's does not recap the first book like many other authors; you are just thrust into the world.
The Omte series is a spin off of the Trylle series- which was a fave of mine.  While I will admit to enjoying the Trylle more- Hockings still delivered a books that comes to life as you read.

I really enjoyed this book and can't wait for the last installment.
Title: The Morning Flower
Author:  Amanda Hocking
Genre: YA, fantasy
Rating: 3.0 out of 5

When Ulla Tulin took her internship at the Mimirin, the only mystery she thought she'd have to solve was that of her birth parents. After a girl named Eliana gets kidnapped while in her care, Ulla knows she has to find out the truth of who Eliana really is—and the only way to do that means traveling to the Omte capital, the place she suspects her mother is from.

Ulla didn’t expect that when she arrived she would discover the identity of a Skojare man who crossed paths with her mother—a man who could very well be her father. When the head of the Mimirin learns Ulla's father is connected to the Älvolk, a secret society who believes they were tasked with protecting the First City and the only ones who know its location, he sends Ulla and Pan to Sweden where they find him living among the Älvolk. But all is not what it seems with the Älvolk and their urgent quest to find the Lost Bridge to the First City leaves Ulla feeling uneasy—and possibly in danger.

I like the idea of the troll mythology—although they’re basically humans living secretly among other humans—but I just don’t think Hocking is the best author for me to read. This felt really slow-paced to me, with a lot of unnecessary details and plot points, frankly. And the “romance” was a non-starter.

Ulla spends the whole book trying to figure out who her parents are, then her dad basically comes out of nowhere, knowing he’s her dad and offering her all the secrets of the Älvolk without hesitation, including taking her to their secret city? This was completely unbelievable and came across as heavy-handed deux ex machina.

Amanda Hocking is a YA author. The Morning Flower is her newest novel.

(Galley courtesy of St. Martin’s Press in exchange for an honest review.)
I have been a HUGE fan of Amanda since her very first novel and 'The Morning Flower' did not disapoint. I fell inlove with the characters and the world building.
In the thrilling sequel to The Lost City, Amanda Hocking continues Ulla's journey to finding her parents. This book takes Ulla across the country and world, searching other Trollian cities and areas for clues. Every time she gets close to some information, another wrench is thrown into the mix and turns everything upside down. With her friends Pan and Dagny, Ulla also is searching for Eliana, the young girl she became close to in The Lost City. As the book continues, it seem more and more like the two searches aren't as separate as they seemed...

I truly enjoyed reading this book more than I expected. Going into this series I definitely thought it would be more high/epic fantasy and it totally isn't. It's very modern with some cool references. The plot keeps going, though it seems like it was stretched a smidge to make it into a trilogy instead of a duology. This book was almost more interesting than the first because you experience more of the world with Ulla's travels. I also LOVE Dagny. She has ace rep, which I love, and she's so no nonsense that it really balances Ulla out. They are so different but work so well together as characters.

I wanted more romance. Give me more Ulla and Pan. Every time they got close, one of them pulled away and I just kept screaming at them to get together already!! So it's definitely a more slow burn romance as we're in book two and it hasn't really happened yet. There was also a bit of middle book syndrome where most of it is just used to set up for the third book, so there isn't much action. It's a lot of data finding and questioning people in order to find everyone Ulla is looking for. But, it sets everything up nicely for The Ever After, the third book in the trilogy - I will definitely be reading this one to see how it all shakes out.

Also, this book is second in the third trilogy in this world. I have not read Amanda Hocking's other books set in this world, but you don't really need to. Everything is explained and easily grasped so don't let that stop you from picking this series up.

**Thank you to Wednesday Books and Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review**
As a sequel this felt too similar to the first. I felt there was a lot of setting up still happening and no so much action and plot. The Morning Flower was more character driven and has a focus on the romance, however I wasn’t a huge fan of the relationship forming. It felt really awkward and stunted. Overall, it was better than the first book, The Lost City, but I’m not sure if I will be continuing with the next book.
In Book 2 of the Omte Origins, we continue the search for Eliana and Ulla's quest to learn about her parentage.  To be honest, I didn't love the first book and was hesitant to start the second.  The first book spent so much time building up the setting and the characters that it bogged down for me.  But this one actually had me interested and invested to see where the story went.  Some of the plot line felt forced and maybe a little unbelievable, but in a fantasy, there's more forgiveness in that for me.  Overall it was an enjoyable read.  I wouldn't mind finding out how the story ends.

Thank you NetGalley for an ARC for my honest opinion.
I enjoyed the sequel to the Omte Origins series a bit more than the first book. I feel like it’s because this book had *more oomph* — if that makes sense. The relationship between Ulla and Pan is better developed and actually discussed between them in a very mature, commendably responsible way that I rarely see in fictional relationships. While the characters themselves don’t come across to me as super complex, their fierce loyalty to one another really makes the book for me.

I enjoyed getting to see more insight into this world. The mysterious magical elements felt darker (where I feel like the envelope wasn’t quite pushed enough in the first book). However, I still had some of the same issues of the worldbuilding feeling vague and intangible. The different cultural groups for the trolls were further explained and seem to be like a microcosm of our society. However, I think the lack of interaction between the troll world and human society prevented the narrative from really *going there* with this concept.

Comparable books:
The Kingdom of Back by Marie Lu
Grim Lovelies by Megan Shepherd
Unhooked by Lisa Maxwell

***I received an e-ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Ulla’s adventure continues as she and her friends search for the parents she’s never met and her friend Eliana, who was forcibly taken away by her sister. I love the characters the author has created and they have grown through this second book in the series. In particular, I love the growing friendship between Ulla and Pan. The whole world the author has created in these books (this is the third trilogy set among the trolls) is so magical. Once again, I finished this book in one sitting.
I loved this book!! Great story!! 1st book I have read by this author!! Received this book from netgally!!
Thank you to NetGalley and Wednesday Books for sending me an Advanced Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

The Morning Flower picks up right after The Lost City. After Eliana got kidnapped, Ulla and Pan decide to travel to the Omte capital to learn more about the place where supposedly Eliana’s from and at the same time for Ulla to learn who’s her mother.

But what she didn’t count, was that she’d find information from a man who could possibly be his father.

THOUGHTS

I’m gonna be honest, I didn’t like The Lost City and I didn’t liked The Morning Flower either. I love the Trylle World but this new series weren’t for me unfortunately.

Maybe it’s the writing, or the lack of plot but I was struggling so much just to finish this book.

There were situations where I just wanted to skip the pages, for example, we know that Ulla and Pan like each other but she doesn’t do anything about it. And when someone else appears in the picture, someone from Pan’s past, she complains that she needs to do something about them but still doesn’t do it.

I can understand that finding her family is her number one priority but she really needs to decide if she wants to pursue something with Pan or not. BUt whatever decisions she makes, she needs to stop complaining about the consequences.

Now don’t get me started with the craziness of the plot. And not in a good way. I was at two thirds of the book and just wanted to throw my Kindle to the other side of the room. It doesn’t make sense!

Not gonna go into details but Ulla being sisters and possibly sisters with someone we know made me feel like: damn, what the hell just happened.

I really want to know what happens but waiting a whole year for the next book and reread the first book doesn’t seem like I’ll be able too.

I do need to say that my best friend really liked it, so even though my review is not the best for The Morning Flower that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s not for you.

Overall, it was a fast read, easy to follow and very descriptive. I really recommend her previous two series, The Trylle and The Kanin Chronicles and if you love the trylle world and want to explore more of it, this book is for you.
I was kinda hoping for more from this, the first book I accepted needs to set up characters and world building etc, but I just felt this nook could and should have been more, more  action, just again like the first book we spend too long waiting for something to happen and then it ends ! Don’t get me wrong I think the writing style is great, I like the characters I just needed things to happen and a lot sooner than they did. I’m not sure if I like it enough though to want to read the next.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
The Morning Flower is the second book in the latest Trylle series by Amanda Hocking. I love that we got to see more of the Troll world, and how different trolls live in different parts of the world. This is my second read in the world of Trylle, and I still had no trouble reading the story. Everything was explained without it sounding repetitive from the first book. There were also some questions from the first book that were answered, as well as more popping up.

I can't wait to see what the finale brings!
I went into reading this thinking I was going to love this book the way I did the Trylle series. But if feel short. I had a hard time getting started. Though the action would pick up but it didn't.
I received the book from netgalley. I love anda flowers books. I enjoyed this one .
I can't wait for the next book.
I went into this one hoping for a little more action/excitement. I was more forgiving of the lack of that element in the first book because it's a lot of setup on the world and plot in general but I really needed to see that progression in the sequel, and through the first two thirds of this book I did not. The Morning Flower was actually set up quite the same as the first book in terms of very little progression until the end. Again with this one, the plot and world are interesting but I can't help but to be left feeling like a lot of the search for answers and rather mundane details could be condensed greatly in the first 2/3 of this story. It drags. It made it hard for me to fully get into and that's not what I want in a sequel. It's a lot to wade through to get to the excitement, just to end on another cliffhanger.

Even other sub-elements like the romance are basically non-starters. When done well a 'will they or won't they' can be fun and torturously exciting. Ulla and Pan or even the hinted at spark of attraction with Jem-Kruck just never had that integral draw. The desire to see either happen at all never fully formed for me. The characters were so apprehensive and not fully into it that how in the world could I as a reader be? Surprisingly I think a lot of this book was meant to be a slow progression to more between Ulla and Pan but their lack of passion and outward interest definitely fed into mine and I just didn't end up caring one way or another.

I was really hoping book one was an exception and not the rule and unfortunately that proved otherwise for me here. While I would like to see what happens next in the story, it's just not enough that I am content waiting to reach the end of another novel to get a little further.
3.5/5 stars Overall, I enjoyed this book. I didn't think there was good foreshadowing and everything seemed to come out of nowhere. I did like how, unlike the first book, our main character had to fight to get what she wants and the knowledge she wants. In the first book it was all handed to her, but in this it actually seemed earned, until she finds her family. Everything about the Sweden part of the book feels rushed and uncomfortable. Nothing is explained, and what happens doesn't make sense. It did end on quite the cliffhanger, that also felt strange. There was no climax and it ended in the middle of what would have been the climactic scene. I also don't really know what the overarching world plot is. The small plot is Ulla looking for her family and Eliana, but I'm not sure what politics are at play, nor if there are going to be any lasting repercussions. This seems weird as it deals with a hidden and mythic group of people, that if they become known to the Troll world, this would have lasting effects, but we don't feel that. In the end it was way too rushed and the ending should have been a lot longer, but the world building is strong, and the characters are easy to like and root for.
I struggled with the previous book due to lack of action.  That did not change but by speed reading I got the general gist and enjoyed the story.  I am wondering how this will end.
The Morning Flower is the second book in The Omte origins by Amanda Hockin.

We continue to follow Ulla as she search for her origins and to find Eliana who have been kidnapped.  She travel with Pan to the Omte capital with Pan and their relationship is developping. She will find some information about her birth parents and thats gonna lead them to Sweden where a secret society is hidden. But those people aren't just what they seems and Ulla and Pan might be in danger there.

I have received an arc of this book from Netgalley and the publisher. Looking foward to read the next book in the serie.
Ulla is still working her internship at the Mimirin, but now she wants to know more than just who her birth parents are.  When Eliana is kidnapped, Ulla not only feels obligated to find her, she also wants to know who Eliana really is.  During her travels she learns the possible identity of her father, but the truth about her mother just keeps getting murkier.  Ulla’s research leads her to the First City with the hope of answering many of her questions.  What will Ulla learn about herself and her family during her quests?  What new questions will be piled on top of the endless questions she has already uncovered?

The Morning Flower is the second book in The Omte Origins series.  This story picks up rather quickly after the ending of the first book and Hocking did a wonderful job of leaving breadcrumbs to nudge the reader’s memory.  This is a fantasy novel with a lot of backstory that was built into the other companion series, yet this series can be fully enjoyed without reading the other ones.  There are family secrets, racial secrets and a little bit of romance to mix things up.  The Morning Flower is a must read for all fans of Hocking’s other novels.