Cover Image: Privateers

Privateers

OMG! What an awesome amazing rollercoaster of a book. This is a must read. Now! Unputdownable. Happy reading!
So this cover and the blurb ara amazing, but this book? I’ve been struggling with it for weeks.i pick it up, read a chapter, but can’t wait for it to be over and put it down again for a couple of days. Usually I am able to get through it, but I struggled and struggled with this one.

Bill is send on assignment to find Susie, who might or might not have survived a shipwreck. This not only sets him to find her, but also a lost treasure worth millions. He gets into a partnership with Susie, Anne and Siri, all trying to find this treasure and all very head strong. There’s are a lot of clues and cryptic messages in this book. I think only someone with knowledge of boating and the Caribbean will fully enjoy this for what it is. Head strong women and a guy, screams Charlie’s Angels to me, while that might not have always been great, I liked it much better than this book.
The story and the premise are rather good, but all the too cryptic messages and insider details of the Caribbean were a bit too much for me. Instead of this book feeling like and escape from reality, it felt like I needed to escape from this book.
Not what I expected, unfortunately. More of a hardboiled crime thriller than an adventure novel, and one that's (a) light on detail, (b) weak in characterization, and (c) not very deep narratively. It felt more like a first draft full of notes that never got fleshed out.
“Privateers” by Charlie Newton follows Bill, a man mixed up in something much bigger than himself. After a past in CIA like affairs, Bill finds himself going back to Haiti to face old demons and potentially find a legendary golden treasure.

Newton creates a wild adventure following Al Capones gold. With three amazing women, this story gives off some Charlie’s Angels type vibes. With adventure around every turn, the reader could never guess what was coming next.

The riddles sprinkled throughout the book are interesting and adds layers to the adventure that makes it more than just brute force and violence as driving factors on who will find the treasure. This becomes an adventure where someone must be smart and brave in order to find the gold.

I also think the amount of research done for this book is evident. I never felt like facts were being twisted (although they may have been, I never checked). But even details of the various islands felt right to me.

The one critique I have for this book is that the beginning is very slow. It took me until about halfway through before I became invested in the story. I felt like some parts didn’t click together and made the story more complex than it needed to be.

In the end, I give this story 3 stars. I feel like this book would have made more sense in film, but if you enjoy a good adventure with treasure at the end, you would likely enjoy this book.
Privateers presents readers with a fascinating mystery. This is action-packed thriller, captivated me right from the start. An alarmingly fierce and ruthless thriller novel, Privateers was impossible to put down. And despite the brutal and ruthless nature of the story, there are also essential elements of sensitivity and kindness.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this book.
This was a pretty decent mystery story and I loved the setting, but something was just missing for me. There were good ideas in here but I just was never really drawn into the story in a way that made me want to keep reading it.
This book I didn’t like the organization structure of the writing style.  The settings were all over the place , and it was a little hard to keep up with.  Don’t get me wrong the author is a talented author. But his writing style is not for me. The cover is beautiful , and story is definitely a mystery, but I don’t think it belongs in the Thriller genre.

It was one of those books I kept putting on and off.   Usually it takes me less than a week to read and this one took forever.

It wasn’t my least favorite and it wasn’t my worse favorite
Indiana Jones is alive and well, if more scabrous, and he is in cahoots with two beautiful deadly women … Charlie Newton is one of the most propulsive, immersive thriller writers in town and in "Privateers," he embraces and updates the mystery quest idea, with wonderful results. Bill Owens, a Chicago hustler of knockdown character and a hidden heart of gold, becomes enmeshed in a quest, using clues from lines of hidden doggerel, to track down a ransom's fortune of gold looted from Haiti a century ago. A pell-mell plot careens through the Caribbean towards a finale that grows, incredibly, ever more fraught. Newton inhabits his characters, the exotic locales spring to life, and the dialogue is a treat. There is an element of those boys' own adventures from my childhood but it's such a pleasure to surrender to the pleasures of "Privateers" for an evening or two. Grab this and hold on for the ride.
I tried to like this. A treasure hunt, 3 powerful women, missing gold! It has everything a good thriller should have. But...as is often the case - the women are beautiful and have Barbie proportions. Not realistic. There's a sense of ...jerkyness to everyone in the entire book - and maybe that's the point, but I found it offputting.

It's full of lush descriptions of locations surrounding the mystery - but honestly - I couldn't have cared less.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the opportunity.
thriller, snark-fest, noir, action-adventure, testosterone-fest, mystery*****

"...the West side of Chicago is no more difficult to navigate than Beirut during a cease-fire."
You didn't think I'd start off with some of the more graphic descriptions of the actions of the privateers or Santeria acolytes in chapter one, did you? This is the start of chapter two and a good indication of the noir factors and the kind of snarky descriptions of other things, like the visits to Haiti and Cuba.
On the other hand, our protagonist gets himself into a whole lotta trouble because he needs money for the Grossfeld's Flyers, an ice hockey team made up of Down's Syndrome players.
It's a great read, and if you are as off center as me, you'll want to keep hot drinks away while reading it.
I requested an received a free ebook copy from Girl Friday Productions and Black Type Press via NetGalley. Thank you!
A solid mystery story. It's not a light story, but it's told effectively and memorably. The author has a good imagination, and this kept me mostly engaged; and includes well written characters and an unpredictable plot. Recommended for mystery fans.

Thanks very much for the ARC for review!!
I had never heard of this author but saw a few posts in a Facebook group about it being really good.
The storyline had me intrigued and the characters were very well written and interesting.
I definitely got the mystery and thriller vibes off of the plot
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book
Wow! This is my first read written by Charlie Newton. And if you haven’t already noticed, Privateers has some very impressive advanced praise.

I found myself immediately drawn into this gripping story, described by the publisher as: “Three fierce women. A ghost ship’s treasure. And a bone-chilling Caribbean warlord.”

Thank you to NetGalley, Girl Friday Productions, and Black Type Press for providing me with a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
This is one of those types of thrillers in which I couldn't stop reading, it was full of action, excitement, and mistery. It surprised me because it's the first book I read by Charlie Newton, it didn't disappoint me at all. The story starts with a crime that happened a long time ago, there was a lawyer from the University of Chicago and someone from London Day College. These two characters were participating in a dangerous mission that did not end very well. Years later Bill Owens will have the mission of finding Susie Devereux who apparently has a connection to what happened years ago, rumours indicate there is a treasure in Haiti. The treasure hunt turns out to be very exciting. Furthermore, Bill will have to travel to the Sacred Heart and also be very careful who he talks to because he's not the only one involved in this quest. I really enjoyed this thriller, especially the description of the places where Bill was visiting. Good book.
I want to start off by saying thank you for the opportunity to read and review this book, it was a very good read easy to follow along with storyline and characters. This was a new author for me but I very much enjoyed it, thank you for the opportunity and I look forward to reading more by this author again. I highly recommend this book to everybody.