Cover Image: Rebellion

Rebellion

I don't know much about the English civil war and couldn't wait to read this one. I found it well written and researched, I can't wait for the sequel and recommend for all British history lovers
Aside from being touched on in history classes, wars in England are not widely discussed. Many people don’t know of the conditions or reasons for the wars. In Rebellion, Philip Yorke writes a story of Francis Hacker, and his part in the English Civil Wars.

The book seems authentic, and the event details are what I imagine the time would be like. The wording is modeled on how it would have been done during that time, but still easy to read. As you go through the story, you can get a sense of being there as it unfolds. Plenty of details about the people are included, so you can picture what they were like.

Overall, it seemed like a decent book, but I could not get into the story. This is more of a reflection of my personal taste, it wasn’t what I thought it would be.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions are my own.
Having read a few reviews, i was beginning to wonder if this was going to be a book that i would enjoy or not.  I would agree that 'Rebellion' is more suited to the male reader, but nonetheless, i did enjoy reading this book regardless.

(Awaiting Amazon to publish my review).
A lot of reviewers called this a 'guy book', and maybe that's why I couldn't get into it. Rebellion is a historical fiction of the English Civil War, told from the viewpoint of rebel and soldier Francis Hacker.

I think the POV really threw me off. The first-person present tense didn't mesh well with the facts and details required for a historical fiction. If it weren't for the book blurb, I wouldn't have known the protagonist's name for quite some time, and it felt like similar other important details were missing. Hacker tells, and tells, and tells, but doesn't show much of how he feels. Overall, the narrative balanced weirdly between the creative, personal historical character and the fact-based retelling.

There are paintings included at the end of each chapter, showing relevant battles, and I think that's really neat.

My Kindle copy also had formatting issues, overlong or missing spaces, which was distracting.