Cover Image: The Forgotten Orphan

The Forgotten Orphan

I enjoyed this but sadly not as much as I wanted to.  Its an emotional read but I found it a bit slow in places and I just didn't get to connect with the characters.

It is recommended though, especially as there are so many excellent reviews for it from others.

Thank you Netgalley.
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The combination of war torn England, the horror of being an unwanted orphan and a love story was excellent. Recommended.
" It's tough being an orphan during wartime... Nobody seems to want me" (ok but they are probably not in a great position to add another person to their family right now, ya know with a World War going on and stuff..)
 - The End

There. That's the book. Biggest waste of time.

Thanks though netgalley, for giving me the pdf so that I can share my thoughts and opinions with y'all 🧡
My first Glynis Peters book and likely, not my last. This may have caught me at the wrong time but I found myself having to hold back the tears at times whilst reading this and that doesn't usually happen. Does that mean I enjoyed the book? Well, obviously, yes. More, please! My thanks to Netgalley and One More Chapter for the reading copy.
Thank you to HarperCollins UK, One More Chapter and NetGalley for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Maisie Reynolds and her twin brother, Jack, are brought to Holly Bush Orphanage at a very young age. Jack is adopted but Maisie never is and spends her young life trying to find out where Jack is. Once WWII begins the orphanage becomes a place of chaos amid bombings of the town. When events force a young Maisie to become the head of the orphanage she accepts the challenge and does the best she can for the children in her care. As the war progresses, the children are found new accommodations, either through adoption or relocation, and the orphanage is repurposed as a convalescent hospital for wounded soldiers. Maisie remains at the hospital and becomes an integral part of the recovery of the men all the while searching for her brother and the truth of their early lives.
A very enjoyable story with moments of heartbreak as well as joy.
I am a huge fan of historical fiction especially ones set around WWII, this one certainly did disappoint. This was the first of Glynis Peters’ novels that I have read and I can guarantee it won’t be the last.
I adored Massie’s character, how could you not.

Thank you to NetGalley, One More Chapter and HarperCollins UK, for this digital copy to read and review!
Thank you NetGalley for the digital arc.  The Forgotten Orphan is a moving story about a young girl who grows up, during the war, in an orphanage longing to know about her family history.  As Maisie grows she watches the other children leave the orphanage to live with new families, including her brother Jack, yet no one wants to adopt her.  She doesn’t understand why she is overlooked and some  staff are unkind and berate her.  Once she is old enough to care for herself, she seeks out answers about her history and is shocked at what she discovers.  Despite living through the realities of war she meets a Canadian soldier and she dreams about what her future could be like.  Things don’t turn out like she has hoped and she learns how strong a woman she can be. I really enjoyed this book and recommend it to those who enjoy historical fiction.
The Forgotten Orphan by Glynis Peters is a heart wrenching historical tale that consumed me from the start. It is set during World War II in an orphanage near Southampton. It is a tale of remarkable courage and strength.
The novel follows Maisie, a young girl who has been at the orphanage since she was four years old. We witness her tenacity to endure all things with a smile and a gentle heart. She is a delightful and realistic main character.
The reader sees the cruelty and damage that words spoken over us do to our spirit. We believe what others tell us. “Maisie was a waste of precious funds… had resigned herself to the ranks of the unwanted.” It is heart breaking to see a broken spirit.
World War II was a dreadful time. The bombs rained down on Southampton. As a sea port it received the maimed and the dying. As buildings are repurposed, Maisie finds her raison d’etre. “I want to help the poor broken men who have been brought to us to learn to live again.”
There are some harrowing scenes of young men whose minds have been shattered by war. Today we recognise it as PTSD.
There is a search for roots. We all want to know our heritage so we can plan our futures.
We see the strength needed on the home front – waiting for letters that take months to arrive, dreading a telegram from the war office, never knowing if our loved ones will return. In the midst of death there is life, babies continue to be born.
The Forgotten Orphan was a powerful tale that totally consumed me. Glynis Peters painted a realistic portrait of life on the home front. As we followed the microcosm that was Maisie, she could be seen for the macrocosm that played out in towns and cities on both sides of the war. It was a terrific tale.
I received this book for free. A favourable review was not required and all views expressed are my own.
The Forgotten Orphan by Glynis Peters
Rating 4/5
A heart rendering story of a 4 year old girl, abandoned at an orphanage with her twin brother, Jack.
Then he too was cruelly taken from her. She grows up in the orphanage, without any affection and treated as an unpaid servant. Then WWII abruptly changes her life.
My heart went out to young Maisie Reynolds, by page two I was ready to go to the South of England and adopt her.
Maisie survives her early years despite the cruel matron, Gloria Mason and sidekick Norah. She grows up to be a kind, gentle caring young girl who loves and tends to the younger, frightened orphans.
She has support from her friends Charlie and Joyce, a lovely couple she met at school.
Then WWII disrupts and changes completely Maisie’s life at the orphanage. At a young age she takes on the responsibility thrust upon her. During this upheaval she meets a gentle caring Canadian soldier, Cam, and falls in love.
Details of her past emerge, shockingly and devastating. Although the scenes at the Dockyard didn’t ring true, it is to be remembered Maisie is still a young and naive girl so her reactions to the situations there and with Simon are spot on.
Death is all around and the there is no escape for some. Maisie steps up to the mark and with help from her friends emerges a stronger, able, kind and caring girl.
I enjoyed The Forgotten Orphan and the skill of Glynis Peters in portraying her characters and her poetry.
I would like to thank Glynis Peters, HarperCollins, One More Chapter and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read this novel. In return I have written an honest and unbiased review.
I received a copy of this book to review from Netgalley. Thank you for the opportunity.
Initially, I wasn't sure about this book as the MC didn't really draw me in but over the course of the story, I grew to like the MC and thoroughly enjoy the story. It is sad and heartbreaking at times but the growth of the MC and the sweet moments make it worth it.
A good read.
What an amazing story! Masie is a character that you connect to and your heart goes out to her. She has so many ups and downs, but she perseveres. Her wonderful story will break your heart and put it back together again!

I would highly recommend this for readers that enjoy historical fiction around WWII. It is written beautifully and will draw you right in!
This book is described as ‘A moving and compelling historical novel about love, second chances and resilience in the darkest of times’ and it’s certainly that, and much more.
Maisie Reynolds has spent most of her life being treated shamefully in Holly Bush orphanage in Southampton, where she was separated from her beloved brother, Jack when they were four and he was adopted but she was left behind. It’s now 1940 and the Second World War is bringing death and destruction ever closer into her world.
When her best friends Charlie and his girlfriend, Joyce persuade Maisie to join them at her first dance, she meets Canadian paratrooper, Cam. He is unlike anyone else that Maisie has come across. Having spent a lifetime being cruelly treated, handsome Cam’s gentle and respectful ways draw Maisie to him, and the two of them soon become close. But as Maisie struggles to cope with life at Holly Bush and the changes that the war brings, she also feels the need to discover who she is and where she came from. She’s desperate to trace her twin brother, but with little support and seemingly everything against her, her search seems impossible.
The Forgotten Orphan is truly an emotive read. You’ll probably need a tissue, or two, to wipe away your tears, I know I certainly did. When I began reading this book I had only meant to read a couple of chapters, but ended up reading into the early hours because I simply could not stop reading until the end. This book transported me back to the nineteen-forties when people didn’t know if they would see their loved ones ever again, or even if their home would be standing by the following morning. The horrors of war and its effects on the men, women and children of Britain were brilliantly depicted in this book. Maisie’s struggle is heart-breaking and compelling, and although I couldn’t imagine coping with all that she did, I willed her to keep going.
The Forgotten Orphan is a heart-stopping, emotional read that will make you smile, gasp and sob; I loved it!

My thanks to NetGalley and One More Chapter for an ARC copy of this book in return for an honest review.
Another enjoyable and emotional read from Glynis Peters. The writing here is just lovely I found this book well written, with characters I really cared about. Have to admit I cried.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review.
This novel was set in WWII. This was an enjoyable read. Not as graphic as some novels set in this time but new information as it was set in England.
Heartbreaking and heroic at the same time.  Maisie Reynolds is an angel who is often treated unfairly because she is an orphan.  She remains positive through the horrific results of war.  Meeting Cam may be the of the best things to happen to her.  If they both survive the war to return to each other, they may find the love Ava has been searching for all of her life.

The Forgotten Orphan portrays the wages of war by showing the heartbreak and triumph that occur off the battlefields.  It is not a rosy  read but glimpses of love and endurance arise in small but meaningful doses.

I received an ARC from One More Chapter through NetGalley.  This in no way affects my opinion or rating of this book.  I am voluntarily submitting this review and am under no obligation to do so.
A lovely story with an underlying sadness that is revealed as the book develops. Keeps you involved from the beginning right through until the final page. Definitely recommended to those readers who enjoy reading this type of book.
I really enjoyed this book. I was captivated by Maisie and the life she had to survive in the orphanage. It was empowering and at times heartbreaking. I definitely recommend.
This tale of Maisie Reynolds, an orphan living in Shirley on the outskirts of Southampton, is set during WW2.  It is really a coming of age story, with Maisie finding her vocation and also love in those troubled times.  The suffering of ordinary members of the public is highlighted, especially as Southampton was badly bombed.  There are also some good times, with wartime weddings and dances for the troops based locally.

Thanks to Net Galley and the publishers for the opportunity to review this book.
Maisie Reynolds and her twin brother were abandoned at an orphanage as babies. Her brother was adopted around the age of 4, while Maisie remained at the orphanage until the age of 18. As Maisie was about to age out of the system, WWII hit. The war started Maisie on a journey to find out about her past. What she finds is way more than she bargained for.

This is not your typical WWII Historical Fiction book, it reads more like a romance novel. It is very slow and repetitive in parts, however the revealing parts of the book seem rushed and not well thought out. The story line left me wanting more.

Thank You Harper Collins UK, One More Chapter and NetGalley for this free advanced digital galley.
A nice read about an orphan who had been neglected, coming of age, finding her worth, and finding true love against the backdrop of World war 2.