Freddie and Friends: Becoming Unstuck

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 Mar 2020

We love the Fly! Freddie and friends is another awesome book for young readers!

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
FYI, the title and description are mislabeled on the book’s NetGalley page.

An interesting, entertaining book for children about learning to filter what you say in order to be kinder and more helpful.  This is a difficult concept as it is a bit nuanced and obviously, children should not be taught to lie.  Overall, the examples in the book were successful and the pictures cute, but could be better.  Some of the language used was a bit harsh and/or crude and didn’t need to be.  I really liked the tips for parents and educators at the end.  The suggestions were very clear and helpful and I plan to use them with my 5 year old son.

Thank you to NetGalley and Boys Town Press for providing an ARC of this book.
Freddie the Fly is a great book! I frequently teach my clients about social skills. Many children can be confused about the concept or why it’s important. I think Freddie the Fly is a great book that breaks down all aspects of social filters. The examples in the book are easy to understand and can be applicable for elementary aged children. I think the book does a great job helping kids to build the skill of reframing their negative thought pattern. The book does a great job making Freddie seem realistic and teaching kids that this skill is something that will take practice, not something that they will immediately be able to perfect. I always enjoy when educational books include tips for parents and educators because it provides adults with additional tools to foster these life skills. I will definitely use this book with my clients and share it with my colleagues.

Thank you Smith Publicity and Netgalley for a copy of Freddie and Friends: Becoming Unstuck by Kimberly Delude for an honest review.
Freddie and Friends is a wonderfully illustrated picture book that left me conflicted. On one hand, learning how to have a verbal filter is a good thing, but on the other hand, teaching that others' opinions and feelings matter more than your own is pushing it (for me). I just can't get behind the book's message fully.

Thank you NetGalley and Boys Town Press for the opportunity to read an advance reading copy.
This book will be educational for kids. It will teach them how to think about what they say before actually saying it so they don’t hurt anyone’s feelings. The illustrations were also very good, so I feel like that will keep the readers attention.
Freddie and Friends: Becoming Unstuck will be a great conversation starter with young readers and those needing to learn how to use their "filters" when engaging with others conversationally.  Social workers, parents, and teachers will appreciate this clear and concise story with concrete examples and lesson reinforcement for how to balance telling the truth and not hurting people's feelings by saying too much.  Fun illustrations will engage readers to visually explore as they listen to what is being read.
When is it okay to not tell the exact truth? That's a very hard concept to try to teach to a child. This picture book does a wonderful job of illustrating how it's okay to not tell the exact truth if it means hurting someone's feelings. With funny illustrations and excellent examples, parents will have plenty of opportunities to showcase when a child needs to tell the truth or when they need to stop and think if they need to rethink their wording. A nice resource in the back will be a big help to parents and leaders of children.