Cover Image: With Wings Extended

With Wings Extended

First of all, I'm going to tell my Birder friends about this book. Secondly, Greg Hoch does a marvelous job of drawing empathy for nature from even the least seasoned backyard ecologist.
When it is snowy and cold outside (and my car is buried under 2ft of ❄️ ), superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

A century ago, many people had given up on the wood duck, dooming it to extinction along with the passenger pigeon and Carolina parakeet. Today, it’s one of the most familiar and most harvested ducks in the eastern half of the country, and one of America’s great conservation success stories.

In With Wings Extended, Minnesota conservationist Greg Hoch introduces readers to a duck they probably recognize but may not know well. This book shows how almost anyone can get involved in conservation and do something for wildlife beyond writing checks to conservation organizations. Hoch illustrates the complexities of wildlife and habitat management that landowners as well as state and federal wildlife agencies deal with on a daily basis, and takes readers through the life stages of what is largely considered the most beautiful duck in the world. In this fascinating and practical read, Hoch blends the historical literature about the species with modern science, and also shows how our views of conservation have changed over the last century.

This is a book with an adorable cover that I decided to read as I love ducks ... I love all bird life outside of a seagull, in fact. I had kind of hoped that it was more of a kid's book based on its cover but this was a very technical book that I enjoyed in the end. I had no idea that that many ducks were harvested each year - it is that popular as meat? (I personally love duck eggs as one is as silky as a pound of butter but they are $20/dozen so that happens once a decade!)

For the right market/reader this is a great book - but for our special library, it is not a purchase. If you love the outdoors, conservation, wildlife, hugging trees, etc. this may be your book. As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🦆🦆🦆🦆