Cover Image: How to Bury Your Brother

How to Bury Your Brother

This book is exactly what you would expect from the title. Alice's brother dies and she has to deal with her feelings on his death while learning things about his life. I feel there was more potential with the plot, and expected there to be a little more mystery involved in the story line than there ended up being. Overall, it was a decent story.
At first I was a bit sceptical in reading this novel. I couldn't get into the story, but then after the first couple of chapters I couldn't put the book down. Glad I read it.
This book covers a lot of different topics, suicide, grief and family situations and overall I thought it was a good read! I like the aspect of family and revealing all their secrets but a few things fell flat for me. I think Alice was written well but parts of the story were pretty slow and I cant say that I enjoyed the ending that much.

I would however recommend this book to my library, I still think there are plenty of readers that would enjoy this! I will continue to read Lindseys books!
How To Bury Your Brother
by Lindsey Rogers Cook

This is such an emotional book that griefs with family, grief, loss and love. The story opens with news that Alice's estranged brother who left their home when he was 15 yo and she 11 yo has committed suicide. With a family of her own, she has to learn to accept that she will never see him again, Years later as her mother is suffering from dementia and will now require more help and need to move to a facility, she discovers some letters from Rob that were kept hidden. The process of Alice discovering the truth about Rob's story and why he left home is soon revealed.

This is a poignant story that spans generations about the Tate family and the secrets they hold. Cook wrote a beautiful story against the backdrop of the beautiful South and the ugly family traumas and drama people are willing to hide and keep secret.to save face. The story moved me as the story is slowly revealed from the past and how Alice is navigating her present circumstance and her own family.

Great domestic drama I enjoyed reading.
If you love a southern family with drama and secrets look no further than 'How to Bury Your Brother.'  It is a complex story of grief, loss, suicide, and moving forward.
The plot had a lot there, but honestly I was a little confused by the chronology of things. There were things that were happening in the current timeline, but also long passages about previous occurrences with Alice and with Robinson, and it was kind of difficult to follow.
Author #Lindsey Rogers Cook  #How To Bury Your Brother is a psychological thriller.The story is dark and the main character Alice has lost her brother.Taking part in the south Its heartwarming and tugs at the heart.It takes the reader on a emotional ride.
#Netgalley, #Lindsey Rogers Cook and # Source books Landmark
How to Bury Your Brother tells the story of Alice and her quest to find out what happened to her older brother Rob. Alice and Rob were extremely close growing up, until that one night Rob ran away from home when he was 15. Alice was devastated by Rob’s leaving and could never figure out what made him just up and leave. To make matters worse Alice parents never spoke of Rob again, virtually acting as if he didn’t exist. Alice spent most of her life haunted by Rob’s leaving and wondering what really happened. Always feeling like she saw him at certain times in her life Alice just cant get past the nagging feeling that there had to be an explanation for his leaving. At Rob’s funeral she still finds no clarity and only knows he died of a drug overdose, Alice however feels there’s more to the story. Alice is tasked with cleaning out her parents old home that is set to be demolished and finds a series of letters her mother has kept hidden all from Rob, and addressed to random people (some of whom Alice has no idea who they are). Alice doesn’t understand why there’s no letter for her, but she is determined to figure it all out. Alice becomes more suspicious when her “Uncle” Jamie comes to the home and tries to remove boxes quickly so Alice cannot see them. Jamie was her father’s childhood friend whose parents died and he ended up living with Alice’s father and grandparents. Alice sets out on a mission to hand deliver the letters and see if these people can offer any clues as to what happened to Rob.

In the midst of looking for answers Alice also has to content with the fact that she has found out that her husband is having an affair that he doesn’t think she knows about. Alice doesn’t really love her husband, he was just a safe bet after the love of her life moved away after college. Her husband has never been to happy with Alice’s obsession with her brother, so she keeps her feelings from him until the moment she has to go to New Orleans to really dig into what happened to Rob. In the end Alice finds out the truth can be shocking and hurtful, but will bring closure.
My only issue with the book is I felt Alice’s husband cheating was a main point of the story, but there was no closure. The book never closes that chapter. We know she called her childhood friend and asked him to draw up divorce papers but I would’ve like to see a little more details with what happened when she served her husband and where she ended up. The cheating was such a big part of the storyline, the way it ended was flat. I also didn’t understand the point of bringing up the fact that Alice’s daughter was a lesbian. It added no depth to the story and felt like it was just being put in the story so it showed inclusivity. I think if you’re going to use sexuality then explore a little more what that means for the character. Maybe how their relationship grew due to her daughters coming out. It just seemed like it was being said just to say it, but why did we need to know her sexuality if it added nothing to the story. Authors don’t do that with heterosexual characters so why do it with gay characters. Her sexuality never would’ve been mentioned it she was straight. All in all this was a good book. I figured out what secret her brother had pretty quickly into the book, but I will say reading Alice find out what heartbreaking because I feel the way her character is written, she would’ve done more to bring those secrets to life had she knew.

Thank you SourceBooks and Netgalley for this ARC
This was really interesting and thought-provoking. I liked the manner of how the story was told. I enjoyed seeing through his eyes, even though we'd never met him.

I think it's a good look into grief and how people cope.
Unfortunately, this book didn’t hit me the way I wanted it to, though plotwise there was a lot of potential.

The story starts after Rob’s suicide; Alice finds a box of letters written from her brother to various people in his life — a life she didn’t know that much about because he ran away when he was fifteen. Finally gathering up the courage to address what happened to her brother in the years they were apart, Alice delivers the letters herself and embarks on a journey to find the answers.

The characters were also quite interesting, but I was more connected to the present timeline with Alice and Walker and their children than with Robinson and what happened to him. Because the story started after his suicide and was so strongly in Alice’s perspective, it was honestly hard to care about Robinson and connect with him.

One thing that I really enjoyed was Alice’s character development in the present, and how even though she was given a little romance sub-plot, that did not put a halt to the mystery and her personal growth, which she kept trying to find.

The writing style was honestly a little slow for me. The first half felt like nothing was happening, and the last part felt like things were revealed very quickly, but not in a satisfying way where our main character found things out slowly and pieced them together herself, but rather because the information was handed to her in the form of a letter or just by someone telling it to her.

Ultimately, this book was just kind of “stuffy” to me. It was hard to get through because the characters were distant and the plot was slow. In more abstract terms, I appreciate the main character’s development and I appreciate the plot arc, but in execution it was hard to get through the novel.
Reviews by the Wicked Reads Review Team

Ruthie – ☆☆☆☆
After a very sad start, which the rest of the book seeks to explain and explore, the pace goes slowly for quite a long while. However, once it picks up, there is plenty to commend it. I think possibly I wasn't entirely sold on the letter idea, but by the end, it led to the very right place.

What I did find very intriguing was the way that Alice had been so close to her brother, but had, in time, bought into her parents' complete denial, even when she was convinced that she had seen him. He had almost a ghostly quality which never left her, and yet she never actually actively sought him out. As we later learn... and I will say no more, the whole of her life to date has been lived in a less than full way – even if externally one would think otherwise.

At heart, this is a tragedy, but maybe, just maybe, Alice will come out the other side ready for the life she was always meant to lead.
An eerie and emotional read! The writing was very good and evokes a sense of longing for her brother who the main character never really knew.
Not my typical book, but it held my interest all the way through. The story was different and I will look for more books by this author.
I won't lie, it was the title that drew me in completely.  You can't miss it.  It starts with a suicide, but that's not really the focus.  More of a sister unraveling the mystery of who her brother really was and what led him there. Good writing, a bit slow in places but really enjoyed overall.  Thank you!
I generally like psychological thrillers because the twists and turns keep me on the edge of my seat. There are characters to root for, characters to hate, characters to be unsure of what we feel. All of those ingredients are here in How to Bury Your Brother by Lindsey Rogers Cook. I didn't necessarily connect with the characters or the story but feel that may be due more to the times in which we are currently living. I think maybe I just need a book that requires less emotion right now. At another time, I believe I would have been able to lose myself in the story and not feel so raw.
Thank you NetGalley for this ARC of How to Bury Your Brother. Alice’s brother Rob, who had been missing since she was a young girl, has died. Her mother is in a nursing home and Alice finds herself in a troubled marriage. After finding letters written by her brother to several people., she sets off to discover what happened to him, as things about their lives unfold. I enjoyed this book and recommend it.
How to Bury Your Brother starts out with a suicide, but because you don't the character, you don't have immediate feelings about it.  That changes.  But Rob, who has committed suicide, has left letters for his sister to deliver and she begins to piece together what has happened since he ran away when he was 15.  Through this, we learn more about Rob and begin to care about him and his suicide - it's strange because you often have the death of a beloved character at the end of a book; yet this starts with a character you'll never meet but grow to care about.  A well written book.
3 ⭐⭐⭐

Alice’s was age eleven when her older brother Rob, aged fifteen ran away from home. They shared a special bond and were so close so she never dreamed that she wouldn’t ever see him again.
Two decades later, she is attending Rob’s funeral following his suicide.

When cleaning out the family home after her mother is in care suffering from dementia, Alice discovers a box filled with letters that Rob had written but never sent. Alice is heartbroken that there is no letter for her.

Alice sets out to deliver the letters to their recipient, hoping to learn along the way why he left and never came back for her. She slowly learns of family secrets and the story of Rob’s life as we are taken through flashback of the years of his life.

While I thought the story had a good plot, there were moments where it just seemed to slow down and I was expecting more from the ending.

Thank you Netgalley, Sourcebooks Landmark and Lindsay Rogers Cook for the eARC in return for my honest review.
The south is so very interesting. Since moving here over a year ago, I’ve learned about southern culture and etiquette. Every day I hear a new little southernism. A way of life or opinion that isn’t found often up north. In some ways, I could learn a thing or two from some good southern roots. On the other hand, I almost find southern charm to be a bit plastic. I’d rather someone call a scum sucking whore head to head than smile to my face with an entirely insincere, “Oh sweetie, bless your heart.” You aren’t tricking me with that polite insult. Not today, Southerner. Anyways, I think these new lessons in life have encouraged me to seek out more novels from southern settings. Which is exactly what attracted me to How to Bury Your Brother.

Honestly, I didn’t enjoy this novel for a few reasons. The pacing was horribly slow. Like I’m not sure if Cook was trying to slowly bury her readers, but I was bored to death at times. I feel like I’ve landed upon a conspiracy. Death by a slow burning book followed by instructions for the proper burial procedure to avoid getting caught. Suspicious, right? Not only did the pace make this a painful reading experience, I genuinely did not like Alice. She was raised as a southern woman aka a doormat. Even upon finding out incredibly wild information, she stayed quiet and complacent. Why? It is the southern thing to do. Alice had to work through this way of life since it is all she has known and been taught. But Alice be a fucking human. Say something. I can’t really respect this type of woman. Unfortunately by the time she grew as a person, I was too far gone and could not relate. If I had more respect for Alice, I may have been able to find more redeeming qualities about this book. Lastly, I think Cook’s writing needs to mature a bit more with foreshadowing and hints. I was able to connect the dot on Rob’s circumstances pretty quickly. Not to say it was done wrong or poorly, I just found her approach a bit more blatant. I don’t want an author to spell it out for me (metaphorically in this case). I want to get little clues that I may miss so the unfold is epic. Instead, I received validation on my prediction that I pretty easily nailed down from pretty early on.

Overall, this novel was very obviously not for me. But I would encourage any interested to read it for themselves.

Thank you NetGalley and Sourcebooks Landmark for a copy of How to Bury Your Brother.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and the author, for an ARC of this book, in exchange for an honest review.
I thought this was a fascinating book that was part drama and part mystery.
It involved family secrets that were revealed when a sister tries to uncover why her brother disappeared when he was 15 and how he died 9 years ago.
I would definitely read another book by this author.