Cover Image: The Dark Continent

The Dark Continent

I did not read the first in this series and you can skip it also. This was an interesting premise with intriguing characters.
I did not read the first book. There I said it. It was a surprise to me, that I didn't really need to, I wasn't lost at all. This book really packs and punch from the start. It starts fast paced and keeps the adrenaline flowing throughout the book. It was a bit dystopian, a bit sci fi, and a bit horror all wrapped up in a package. It was certainly an interesting read. I gave it 3 stars.
The government decides to test its super serum on 15 inmates at a secluded place - an old oil rig in Alaska. When 14 of them go rogue and cause chaos and destruction, its up to Karl Lyons to track down the only successful super soldier - Tom Reese. Now the pressure and adventure of saving America falls into the hands of these two gentlemen.

The Dark Continent is an action, adventure, suspense thriller with dystopian notes. Being the second book in the Prometheus man series, I felt it’s completely fine to read this as a stand-alone novel. There’s equal importance to characters, depth to the story and for a super human, I loved how Tom is mysterious and emotional. There are some chilling scenes that made my heart race, but some parts around the middle felt like a drag. The author has included many details of the past experimental trials, their results and the povs of the superiors, which was super cool to read. Overall, this is an entertaining novel of an experiment gone wrong! Officially Scott Reardon is one of the authors you want to watch out if you like action thrillers.

4/5⭐️

Thank you Scott Reardon, Aspen Press and Netgalley for the arc. This is my own honest opinion.
This is the second in a series but can apparently stand alone as an independent novel. A top secret government experiment that could go horribly wrong has done just that. Augmenting serial killers on death row is a bad choice, especially when they decide to destroy the entire country.
Suspense, gore, military action, and the occasional small emotional moments make this a page-turning roller coaster ride of doom, and thoroughly enjoyable.
There are many things happening at the same time in The Dark Continent, it has a lot of action and a super badass villain.
On an oil rig in Alaska 15 death row, inmates are subjected to government testing which causes super strength, like captain America super-soldier serum. In a storm, they all escape and it is up to Tom and Karl to destroy them before they continue to create chaos and destruction in North America.
This is the second book in a series, the first being the Prometheus Man. I started reading it not having read the first, although it is not necessary to read it in the same order. This book was very entertaining and it has one of the most terrifying and anxious scenes I have ever read. The entire book has you in pure suspense until the end.
4 stars for me.
Thanks to Netgalley and Aspen Press for this arc in exchange for an honest review.
I haven't read the first book in the series  I was afraid I'd be lost butI wasn't. I would say all in all it was a great book that will take you on a rollercoaster ride.
I really struggled with this one, it was too horrific to keep reading. It is a shame as I enjoy Sci Fi books but there are depths to which I won't go.
Title: The Dark Continent
Author: Scott Reardon
Publisher: Aspen Press
ISBN: 9781733240420
Edition: E-Book
Publication date: 28/01/2020

Content:
"On an oil rig off the coast of Alaska, fifteen test subjects, all of them death-row inmates, have joined a gruesome experiment with unprecedented implications.
Government researchers are attempting to enhance the human body, but they change the men into something else instead. Led by a mysterious figure who evokes Colonel Kurtz and Satan from Paradise Lost, the subjects escape and bring the United States to its knees.
Only two men can stop them, Tom Reese and Karl Lyons. Tom and Karl will have to cross an America on the brink of collapse. And at the end they’ll experience the horror of the dark continent."

Opinion:
The story is full of action, which makes it a perfect example for a page turner. The pacing of the author is amazing and makes one read more and more. Also, there are numerous plot lines put together for an epic and unexpected showdown at the end. The protagonists are skillfully described and introduced. Actually, with all the details already given in the text, one could make a great movie out of this!

Conclusion:
This book is so amazing! I can't think of any reason why people shouldn't read it, so I totally recommend it to all fans of thrilling adventures and action!
There are 15 men from death row on an oil rig off the coast of Alaska.  They are being experimented on trying to make them into super powerful men that will fight in wars.  There is one exception as these men will die when they are done experimenting.  The men don’t survive their successful experiments due to what the doctors/researchers have done to them.  It shortens their life.  Supposedly the oil rig has been made impossible to escape from, but the prisoners do.  They planned on making the country not to forget the comfort of living free.  One prisoner from the very beginning of these experiments then in Canada has been alive And is with his girlfriend.  Will he live to be an old man?  Will the escaped prisoners succeed in their plan?

The novel is upsetting for me as they did genetic experiments.  The prisoners hope to have people go backward so it becomes a society of “kill or be kill.”  As I watch on tv, I fear this book made make you think about what could happen.
Sorry, I couldn't finish this. I really found the writing style just wasn't for me at all.

... de-penised version of Radiohead’s “I’m a Creep”

Ugh, where to even begin

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an E-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
Thank you Netgalley and Aspen Press for allowing me the chance to read The dark continent by Scott Reardon.  This is the 2nd book in the Prometheus man series. On an oil rig off the coast of Alaska, fifteen test subjects, all of them death-row inmates, have joined a gruesome experiment with unprecedented implications. Government researchers are attempting to enhance the human body, but they change the men into something else instead. While this book started off pretty good, it switched gears part of the way through and ended up just becoming one of those books you keep putting down. 2 1/2 stars
This was a fast-paced book and interesting but not a new plot (it reminded me of Justin Cronin’s The Passage as I was reading). It is a sequel to another book but definitely stand-alone. For the most part, I didn’t feel like I was missing anything by not having read the first book. I am not 100% sure of the motivation of the “bad guys” and if it was implied or if I am reading something into the plot that wasn’t meant to be so there. So that is leaving me a little deflated at the end.
This was a true thriller - fast paced, atmospheric, and intense.  It's not an upbeat book (not that thrillers usually are) but the tone of the story takes a pretty depressing, moralistic viewpoint. There's also a lot of violence, and a epically bad bag-guy of Stephen King's THE STAND proportions. Reardon writes in a pretty cinematic manner and this would easily transfer to the screen (not that I need to see body parts torn off. Did I mention it's violent?)

I confess, I was not in the mood for this type of book after the first few pages. And I told myself "I'm not really in the right frame of mind for this book" most of the way through, because despite that, I wanted to see how it ended.
Struggled to finish this book, the pacing was slow and also felt rushed in places. the actual plot was interesting I just felt the characters didn't fit.
If I could review this book with one word, I think it would have to be: intense.

I started reading this book in the wintertime, but with the current pandemic, I had to put it down. The book is dark, violent, and heavy. The pacing can be glacial and then much too fast, and I didn’t care much for that. I felt like reading this book was like running down a steep hill, when you feel that your legs can’t keep up with the momentum.

So: I couldn’t read it for long periods of time, and I eventually just accepted that I’d read a chapter here and there when the mood struck.

I did enjoy the middle part where we got really involved with the test subjects; and the dystopian aspects of the second part of the book. I am sure that this will become someone’s favourite book, but it unfortunately was not mine.

I’d like to thank Aspen Press for the free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
An incredible tale of an attempt to create the super soldier meets the Island of Dr. Moreau is an interesting read. The main characters are fully flawed, sympathetic saviors of humankind. Though the author lays out a save the world kind of trope, the story focuses on the US being attacked. I received this graphic, violent drama from NetGalley for an honest review, but NetGalley summaries don't inform reviewers if the book is part of a series.
Well, that quickly went off the rails. The blurb for this one looked so promising, but the reality wasn't at all what I was hoping for. It reached a point where I started wondering if the cliches could actually outnumber anything resembling an original story, and to be honest, I'm not sure which came out ahead. Then, to add insult to injury, character development is sorely lacking, and what I did learn about the characters, I didn't like. And just to round it all out, the second half ramps up the gore to the point that it kind of felt like a low budget horror flick. I did finish, mostly in hopes that it would improve. It did not, at least not for me, but I will say that unless I missed something, this one can be read as a standalone. The story is fast-paced, and I'm sure there's a market for it, but it clearly missed the mark for me.
i really wish i'd read the preceding novel, Prometheus Man, because i think a lot of the character development of 2 of the main characters must have happened there, since there wasn't much of it in this book.  still, it was well paced and had some good dialog.  it's definitely more cinematic than literary.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for an e-ARC!

This is an explosive novel which grips you and doesn't let go until the final page! I really enjoyed this book. I really enjoyed reading about our two main characters; Tom and Carl. Their relationship developed over the course of this book and I was engaged throughout. The violence and action was fantastic, albeit a little graphic. Nonetheless, the writing really intensified the setting and I can't wait to read more from this author!
An intense second entry in a thrilling series, The Dark Continent will absolutely satisfy fans of Scott Reardon and convince newcomers to pick up the first title if they've somehow only stumbled across the second.