Cover Image: Someone Else's Secret

Someone Else's Secret

What could be better than a summer on Martha's Vineyard?  You could be like Georgie, 14 and trying to figure out who you are when your parents hire a nanny. Lindsey is a recent graduate from Bowdoin with career aspirations in art history and museums.  The family dynamic is strange and cold.  Georgie finds a job and work friends at the local coffee and sandwich shop, while Lindsey runs into a college friend whose friendship intrigues her.  Combine that with an ocean breeze, a townie, a mysterious guy and a crime and you've got yourself a secret.  And then the fun is just beginning.  What do age, self-esteem and upbringing have to do with belonging?  Is that a learned behavior, or will it always be with you?  Great summer story of friendship, love, belonging, mystery and the impact of our decisions.
Lindsey finishes an art major in college with no prospects for a job in her field. When an influential family in the art world offers her a job as their nanny for the summer in exchange for introducing her to their friends she jumps at the chance. The family has two children--Georgie, an awkward fourteen year old wanting to prove that she's grown up, and Berty, an energetic and loving little boy. As the summer progresses, Georgie develops a crush on a much older man and when he starts to show interest in return, Lindsey is concerned and tries to interfere.  Then something happens that will change their lives forever.
These days of the #metoo movement, I think it's important for these kinds of stories to come out. Told in alternating perspectives of Lindsey and Georgie, it tells how they really feel about the incident and why they chose to act the way they did. Great read about a tough subject.
I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. The views and opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
A slow read with fast moments. Some of it was kind of hard to get through. Didn't really care fo the characters as I found them entitled and whiney but I love stories about female friendship.

Thank you to the publisher and to Netgalley for the copy!
I couldn't finish this book. I thought it was very dull. The main character seemed very whiny and entitled.
Lindsey lost her virginity at fifteen. She works at a museum after graduation. After loseing her job Lindsey takes a job as a nanny for the summer .Georgie is fourteen and needs a summer job. Georgie gets a job in the office of a cafe. She use to love to go sailing.  I loved the different points of view. Although sad I loved reading about the trauma of what happened and how it was handled years later.
A story about friendship and secrets. An incident witnessed ten years ago had its effect in the present time.

A slow moving book with the characters going through a lot of angst. Parts of it were  difficult to read, yet parts captured me. The ending was rushed, just felt the story needed a bit more time to breathe.

Overall, a good read.
Someone Else’s Secret  is a poignant and thought-provoking book about secrets, friendship, and seeking justice. It is a well-written debut novel.
If you witness something you shouldn’t, should you share what you saw or is it Someone Else’s Secret to share?

Lindsey has just graduated college and has accepted a position as a nanny for a wealthy family that has a job opportunity for her in the art world she seeks to enter. Georgie is the oldest child of the family, turning fifteen this summer with plans of her best one yet. A blooming friendship develops between Georgie and Lindsey until one horrible night at the lighthouse.

Now, ten years later, Georgie can’t get the terrible secret out of her mind. She tries to reconnect with Lindsey to set right her wrong from the lighthouse. Is it too late?

I loved the first part of this story, the summer on Martha's Vineyard. It was well written and engaging. It was hard to put down. Lindsey and Georgie are likable and endearing. But, when it picks ten years later, it felt rushed. The characters were different people, which showed that they grew and changed, but not always in the best ways due to this secret. Maybe secrets are meant to stay that way. Overall, I enjoyed this story and would recommend it!
Being a nanny on Marthas vineyard sounds like a perfect way to spend a summer, but it doesn't turn out to be as perfect as it seems. Do yo keep what you see and know to yourself or do you share what you know?
DNF around 40%. It started strong, but there was just nothing happening and I have too much on my TBR list to read a book with terrible characters that I didn't care about.
Thank you for the opportunity to read this book. Unfortunately, this one was not for me and I will not be writing a full review.
The story of a 14 year old girl and her 22 year old nanny.   To me this book was hard to get into and seemed to really drag.  Others may like it for it's important subject matter but not my kind of story.
In truth, I had to start this book twice. I wasn’t “hooked” after the first page but I am so glad I gave it a second look. Without divulging the plot; the author takes a delicate and disturbing topic and makes it relatable to the reader. The characters were so well developed that they ultimately felt like people I had come to know. To see how such a horrific event impacts their life 10 years down the line felt so truthful and relevant today. I will definitely seek out this author in the future. Thanks again for the advanced copy.
Most of the book is the back story to the secret incident which happens rather quickly and only appears in the last third of the book. I did enjoy this story but don't think the blurb does it justice as I enjoyed the build up and the friendship developments over the course of the summer rather than the last third. All of that being said the book is actually rather good, even if the blurb doesn't really match.
Someone Else’s Secret, by Julia Spiro, is a story with a split-personality.  At least two-thirds of the story was the excruciating account of a summer on Martha’s Vineyard of two young women, a 14 year-old and a 22 year-old, who works as a nanny for the teen’s family. Both are painfully self-conscious and desperate for approval from the wealthy popular set.   There is much angst, whining and lusting after material brand-name items.  The main characters lacked nuance, and with one exception, the supporting characters were equally predictable.

After an unsurprising sexual assault, the book suddenly leaps forward ten years and transforms itself into a gritty #metoo story of justice and vindication. Indeed, the final third of the story is inspiring and rewarding.  I wish the author had spent less time on the YA front-end and more on the compelling impact of the assault.

Thanks to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for the opportunity to read a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an electronic copy to review.

This book and review should contain trigger warnings for sexual assault.

This story centers around 2 characters, Lindsay and Georgie. Lindsay has been hired as a nanny for Georgie's family; mostly Georgie's younger brother since Georgie is a teenager. Both of these characters made me crazy with their insecurities. I wish so much that the author had written them to be stronger and not so incredibly self-deprecating.

The story had a looooooooong build up to a sexual assault, which is supposedly the main event of the book. The story jumps forward shortly after the sexual assault to when Georgie is an adult. The 'resolution' of the story, if you can call it that, seems so short and abrupt compared to the build up. I was left very disappointed in this one.

I also feel like the story would have been better had it been told in alternating timelines, switching back and forth from now to the summer of the sexual assault.
This book has a lot of potential. It wasnt bad for it being a debut novel but it could have been better. It started off slow for me in the beginning but I did enjoy it. It was a great story that turned emotional in some parts.

Thank you Netgalley, the author and publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
A very well written and gripping story. The author follows the angst and difficulties of growing up in different key stages and these topics are so carefully and sensitively portrayed along with societal imbalance that exists in our world. A lovely read which gives much to think about and discuss.
The description for this book truly captures the themes and subject of the book... so now here are my reactions.  This book did start a little slow for me - I immediately liked both of the main characters, Lindsey and and Georgie, but there was a little something stilted about the writing in the beginning.  By the middle of the book, I was completely engrossed though.  Lindsey was such a likable character at 22 and just out of college.  I found Georgie so relatable - the pain of a first crush, wanting to grow up, and feeling like you didn't fit in.  The last quarter of the book tackled a very challenging topic and did so wonderfully (no spoilers).  I would definitely recommend this book to friends - it's definitely not just a beach read - I'd recommend year round.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the published for the e-ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Recently graduated Lindsey decides to accept a job as a nanny for the Decker family in hopes of it leading to a career in the art world. Lindsey meets Georgie, the eldest child in the family, and through both of their perspectives, the book follows them through a summer in the Vineyard, where both make mistakes and are trying to come to know themselves, holding many secrets.

I would rate this book a 1.5.
I have so many thoughts on this book. First off, I think this book is very important-it covers a very important topic. However, I did not enjoy this book as a whole. It started off very strong, however it quickly began to drag. After finishing the book and reflecting, I can't believe how unnecessarily long this book is. It just drags on and on for about 215 pages with nothing really happening. Then, all of a sudden, something happens just for it to be pushed aside and drag on for another hundred pages before something else happens. I think the description for this book is very misleading. Lindsey and Georgie are not close, they never develop a close relationship, if anything their relationship is constantly up and down with a ton of emotions and secrets. Next, the characters, I mean all of the characters except for Dylan are extremely unlikeable (this changes right at the very end). Lindsey is immature, clueless, selfish and just a shell of herself. She is very judgemental and overly concerned about her image. Georgie is also extremely immature, although I did feel bad for her. Lindsey's relationship with Dylan was great, but we saw almost none of it throughout the story. Georgie's parents, Lindsey's friends and everyone else was just awful. Over and over again Lindsey refused to acknowledge and embrace the good people in her life, Rose, her parents, Dylan, and constantly made bad choices to maintain an "image". I predicted what would happen in this story almost right from the beginning. I don't think it was presented in the most effective way, it was hard to relate to or understand the characters' choices (although I understand and acknowledge that this does occur in real life). The event and everything surrounding it seemed extremely rushed. All in all, this book is just sad. It is well written but way too long for what it was, I made myself finish it because I wanted to know how it would end. Reading Georgie's part was sometimes difficult because it felt younger than a teen book. The description also mentions this tragic secret that binds them together for all these years, but that doesn't really occur as described either. The book rambles on about what they've done for ten years then resolves very quickly. For the entire book I just wanted to scream at everyone for their bad actions and horrible secrets and non-actions. Not an easy read.