Cover Image: Who Did You Tell?

Who Did You Tell?

This book is almost creepily reminiscent of The Girl On the Train so if you enjoyed that novel you will likely enjoy Who Did You Tell? which follows a recently sober woman, Astrid, in the weeks after coming out of rehab.  She keeps thinking she sees her ex-boyfriend everywhere but... it can't be him... can it?

It took a bit for me to get into the story and invested in what was happening but once the ball started rolling it was hard to put the book down.  While some things are easy to figure out there are enough twists to keep you guessing until the last page.

Overall this is a gripping novel that was a good mystery to get lost in on a stormy day.

Thank you to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for an eARC copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review.
I did not care that much for Lesley Kara's Who Did You Tell? I was having high expectations for it and was disappointed. I am giving it two stars.
This is the story of a recovering alcoholic. Astrid hit rock bottom, and has turned her life around—or so she hopes. She has moved back with her mother and is spending her days going to meetings and trying to put her life back into synch. Like with many alcoholics, she has gaps in her memory, though some events are best left forgotten, and there are many in her background like that. Previously, she had been in a relationship with Simon, who got sober, left Astrid, returned to her, began drinking again and died, leaving Astrid with tons of guilt and questions. To complicate matters, she senses someone is following her, out to get her, but cannot figure out who, in her mother’s town, would do that. Can she figure it out—without resorting to alcohol again?

This is the story, as I said, of a recovering alcoholic, who is trying to make her life whole again. It is also the story of someone trying to make up for the sins of her past and struggling to figure out who is after her if anyone at all. The author has given the reader a good look at the life of a recovering alcoholic as well as a psychological thriller to boot. It did provide me good insight into the life of a former alcoholic, while managing to keep my interest piqued about who was after Astrid.  I think the story line is good and flows easily.  The characterization is likewise good.  I have not read anything else by this author but will now look for her books. I received this form NetGalley to read and review.
Who Did You Tell? by Lesley Kara is a solidly written book, highly descriptive with a great setting, and a plot that pulls you in. I got immersed in this book right away and felt a connection with many of the characters. I could feel the emotional turmoil and struggles as the story developed. Good Book.
Astrid is a recovering alcoholic, recently moved back home with her mother to the small town of Flinstead.  She really does seem to want to better her life and show her mother that she can give up alcohol. She struggles with the AA meetings, but that has more to do with the atmosphere than her lack of ambition to conquer her problem.
It doesn't take long for the story to go in a positive direction. Her relationship with her mother, while strained,  seems to be improving.  She meets a guy at a beach that might be a great influence for her.  Reignites her passion for art.  But there is something lurking in the shadows.  She can't quite get over the feeling that someone is watching her.  That someone knows about what she's done in the past.  Something even she can't quite recall...

Overall, the story wasn't bad.  It's not the action packed or twisty thriller but it's a good read.
Who Did You Tell?, by Lesley Kara, is a thriller set in a small English seaside town. The protagonist, a young woman, is a recovering alcoholic.  She is plagued by overwhelming guilt, doubt, self-loathing and the mysterious sense that she is being stalked.  She also is prickly and not terribly likeable…at least at the beginning.

While I found the “mysteries” to be too neatly resolved, the characters were complex and compelling.  Their personalities and histories were slowly revealed. Relationships that initially seemed flat and flawed, developed fullness and nuance.  Kara is also adept in bringing the physical environment to life, including the salt spray, wind, and cold of the seaside town.

This was a diverting, enjoyable read…great for vacation or a summer afternoon anywhere.  Thanks to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for the opportunity to read an electronic ARC in exchange for an honest opinion.

#WhoDidYouTell #NetGalley
3.5 Stars
This is something that will take you by the hand and show you what addiction really feels like. How it can impact more than just one person drinking. How it can take a family and change the dynamic.
How it can play with memories and remeberence of actions. Well Done.
Thank you to NetGalley and Random House for providing me a digital copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.

*Trigger warning: This story discusses drug and alcohol abuse and related sequela of this lifestyle including the lasting physical and psychological effects. The struggles with success and failures at becoming sober.

In London, Hilary “Astrid” Phelps is a 32 years old who was a rebellious teen who left home at 17 to escape the restraints of living the norm. She meets Simon at a bar and they begin a whirlwind relationship which included drug and alcohol abuse. Eventually, they separate and reunite until it drastically ends with him taking his own life.

Hilary changed her name to Astrid back when she was a teen because it meant “divine strength” which was the antithesis of everything from which she was running. It’s when she wakes up in a hospital with her mother by her side that she decides to start over. She moves in with her mother in her childhood town of Flinstead-by-Sea which was the last place she ever wanted to be. Her mother provides her with the “tough love” to remain sober after she is discharged from Rehab. Amongst the conditions for her living situation is that Astrid continue to attend regular AA meetings.

It’s at AA where she encounters a variety of characters with their own life stories and reasons which led them to AA. At the meetings Astrid is hesitant to reveal much of her story and is leery of the other members. Rosie is a member who has poor boundaries and always offering unsolicited advice. She works at a charity thrift store and currently homeless. Astrid begins to build a friendship with Helen another member of the group who avoids Rosie whenever she can. Similarly, Rosie cautions Astrid about Helen’s history and tendencies for relapse.

Although they caution in AA to avoid relationships after rehab, Astrid chats with Josh who was surfing where she likes to walk the beach. He asks her to meet for coffee which she accepts since it seems casual and she doesn’t need to disclose her alcoholism. Of course, her mother’s friend Pam seems to notice everything in their small town and reports back to her mother about this man. Astrid reassures her mother that she has no plans to venture off her path of sobriety.

Since Astrid returned home she couldn’t shake the feeling that she was being watched and followed. The paranoia remains as she is still trying to make sense of life as a sober person. Blackouts and hallucinations were some experiences which continue to plague her memory. Additionally, she carries the emotional burden of feeling responsible for Simon’s death.

Eventually, Astrid discovers that someone was following her which leads to a confrontation regarding her past decisions. With clarification regarding past events, Astrid attempts to understand its implications for her future. Not wanting to disclose her alcoholic past with Josh, she resorts to trusting Rosie and Helen from AA who have seemed to be supportive.

Consequently, secrets and lies always have a way of surfacing when least expected. Astrid’s biggest secret she thought died with Simon which raises the question, “Who did you tell?” It seems that the past is again back to disrupt whatever peace she may have found. How does Astrid cope during all this pressure and revelations? Can past mistakes be forgiven or amended? Is it possible to ever leave the past behind?
Who Did You Tell is a psychological, suspense thriller with lots of twists and turns.
I really couldn’t get into the story nor the main character, Astrid.  She is a recovering alcoholic who struggles with her inner demons.  She attends AA meetings hoping to find help but she has a hard time learning how to trust others.  Her inner demons haunt her as she remembers things.  She also has a fear someone is following her....
Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read and review this book for my honest opinion.
There is a very high emotional aspect to this thrilling story. As we are taken on Astrid’s journey as a recovering alcoholic, we are met with the struggles not only she faces, but her mother as well. Astrid has secrets from her past and someone is stalking and threatening her. Someone is seeking revenge. This story is filled with twists and secrets and heartfelt moments. A great mystery with a surprising ending.
I sadly just did not like this book at all, I had to force myself to finish it. Might of been just me I just couldn't get into the characters.
Thank you Netgalley.
A wonderful follow up to Kara’s debut. This domestic thriller has plenty of twists while dealing with gripping issues like family relationships a d addiction. Highly recommended.
I have reached the saturation point on books about recovering alcoholics. I had to say I was disgusted with the heroine and all her shenanigans. Yet, as I read I found this book to be extremely well-writen and it graged more than a few red herrings across the trail. Thankfully I have never had to deal with severe addiction, and the events that unfold oin this story make me very thankful that I haven't. Despite the role played by AA in the story, the results came from caring people, not a loving God.. The book is engrossing and grabs the emotions.. The end was truly heart-warming.
Astrid a recovering alcoholic has moved in with her mother at Flinstead a small seaside town, where everybody knows each other’s business.

Astrid hasn’t had a drink for 190 days and attends AA meetings, where she meets Rosie and Helen. We know she has a secret and it is to do with her ex Simon. She becomes paranoid, she feels like she is being followed, then menacing notes appear.

The story is full of secrets and twists that keep you guessing until the surprising ending. I was so engrossed and sure where this book was going, that I didn’t see the twists coming and was left guessing again!!

This opened my eyes to the world of addictions. The topic of alcoholism was told in a frank and honest way, explaining how the daily battle can affect everyday life and how close family can be affected too!!

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy in exchange for a review.
Who Did You Tell is about young Astrid, her challenging recovery from alcoholism, and the mysterious stranger that is stalking her. Psychological suspense is definitely on the menu while reading Who Did You Tell and Lesley Kara builds the suspense gradually.

We get to know Astrid and see the life she is trying to create for herself with the support of her mom and the assistance of AA meetings. The relationship between Astrid and her mom is really realistic, it shows the sarcasm the layers of  guilt, desire to please and ultimate love between them in powerful ways. The novel has depth - and this is evident in how Kara shows us Astrid's guilt and desire to live right. We meet characters who could be suspects and we meet new people who could have it out for Astrid as well.

Whew this book was quite the read. I learned so much about being in recovery from this book - and the mystery/suspense was intense! I appreciate how the chapters just flow, seamlessly and the character development is amazing! Well done, Lesley Kara! I can't wait to read The Rumour, as I am very impressed with the writing.

Thank you to NetGalley, author Lesley Kara and Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine for this temporary digital advance review copy for me to read and enjoy. As always, my reviews are voluntary and opinions are my own.
This book hits on some hard topics. Family members of alcoholics, how to help them. Alcoholics themselves and things they do while they drink. So if this is a trigger for you it may not be the best book. However it was a great read, I did enjoy it. Astrid has a drinking problem and has been sober for some time. She has moved back home with her mother and goes to AA meetings. Each day is a struggle yet she is doing it. She starts to see that she can live without the drink. Then things start to happen, things that make her wonder who knows about her past. She is not very open about it. So as far as she knows there are very few people. So who did someone tell??

There was not one dull part of this book. I was engaged the whole time and looked forward to the next page.
Astrid returns to the small town to live with her mother after a stint in rehab for her alcohol addiction.
She is attending AA and trying to pull herself together and get going on her new sober self. Then she begins to feel as if she is being followed...which brings up memories from her drinking days  and the awful secret she shared with her deceased ex boyfriend, only she can't remember all of the details about that secret, she knows it was bad.....then the harassing notes begin, even as she is trying to move on with her life.
She develops a friendship with one of the AA people , has an ambivalent relationship with another and develops a romantic relationship with a young man that seems to be promising in her new life.
Then it takes a turn...she has to sort out who is friend and who is not.
A very well written story, well  plotted.
Enjoyed every minute of it.
Who Did You Tell? is a thriller of the someone-knows-your-secret variety. Astrid is an alcoholic who is 192 days sober. She has hit what she thinks is her rock-bottom, has come home to live with her mother whose disapproval and distrust is constant background static. She is attending meetings and doing her best, but someone knows her deepest secrets.

She occasionally recognizes her ex-boyfriend’s scent on the air. One of his shirts is on display in the second-hand clothing store and then it’s gone. Meanwhile, there is one woman at AA who is too focused on her. Thankfully, another befriends her but with demons of her own to battle, it’s not Astrid can burden her with her fears.

Who Did You Tell? succeeds in building suspense and making me care about Astrid. It is weakened, however, by Astrid being as dumb as a rock at times. I mean, seriously, she is afraid someone is after her, wanting to harm her, so she encourages her mom to go out of town? Yeah, that’s as smart as running in high heels in the wood on a dark and foggy night.

So, yes, I was caught up in the story and I liked Astrid’s toughness and her coming back to life out of deep despondency is admirable. However, when the plot needs the character to have the self-protective instincts of a moth by a flame, then I think a bit of plot revision is in order. Certainly, there is some way to get her in jeopardy without her being a ninny.

I received an e-galley of Who Did You Tell? from the publisher through NetGalley.

Who Did You Tell? at Ballantine Books | Penguin Random House
The Rumor – also by this author
Lesley Kara author site
“Who Did You Tell” was the first book that I’ve read by Lesley Kara. This book was full of twists and turns. At times, it was difficult to read because the main character, Astrid, is struggling with alcohol addiction. This is definitely one of those books that it is best to go into completely blind. The less you know, the better. I found some things to be a little bit predictable, but it could be because I read a lot of thrillers/ suspense. Overall, it was entertaining.

3.5 rounded up to 4
Thank you to Netgalley, Random house Ballantine and the Author, Lesley Kara for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
While this book started out a little choppy for me, once I got the story and the players it all came together in a great cat and mouse thriller.
My second read from this Author and certainly won't be my last!