Cover Image: Love Is for Losers

Love Is for Losers

I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. Phoebe thinks love is for losers, hence the title until she falls in love. This is the story of first love and being yourself. Phoebe has a strong female voice throughout and will be great for teens in this age bracket.
This was an incredible book of self-exploration and the importance of being yourself and friendship.  The feminist undertones are wonderful for this generations teens and this is one I would highly recommend to keep in school libraries and classroom.
A funny, honest, and frank exploration of gender, sexuality, and how to love when love can seem like such.... a bother. Definitely recommended for most YA collections.
This was pretty enjoyable. I was confused sometimes and felt it needed more, but I did have a lot of times where I laughed and just enjoyed it.
While I didn’t love this as much as I thought I would, I did enjoy it for the most part. This was sooooo slow burn but I felt like it was really realistic which I appreciated. I do t love british humor so a lot was lost on me.
A darkly funny LGBTQ+ young adult novel, Love is for Losers, is a story of falling in love and growing up in our complicated world. As someone who doesn't like feelings, Phoebe is having a difficult time with her new found feelings towards a co-worker who she believes is far out of her league. Told through diary entries, this will be a story that will feel very relatable to teens.
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for the opportunity to read and review this title, all opinions and mistakes are my own.
Honestly, I had a bit of a rough time getting into this book. I believe the reason for it being so hard was both the main character, and the fact I was reading this on my phone.

15 was a year I wanted to forget, so reading in the commentary of a 15 year old was a tad scarring (completely joking but also you know! Cringey 15 year olds) and just harder to get into. But this book does eventually pick up and actually carries through on its slow burn relationship which readers should definitely tucker through to get to.

Depending on where you're reading this review, you'll have access to the plot so I'll spare you the details which you can likely scroll up to find.

But this book is a sweet premise with a good display of diversity in characters and relationships. This book is also one that can range in appealing to younger audiences, as well as older ones too. There's something for everyone in this book the further you get into it.

Overall it was a tad harder to get into from the beginning, but it's lovely and worth sticking through.
This book was honest, heartwarming, wonderfully sarcastic and a real portrayal of a typical teenager feeling awkward and confused.

Definitely, a coming of age type of book, it is written in a diary-style with humor and comedy.

The book expresses the life of a young girl who considers loving the worst thing since stale chips, as she weaves her way thru high school experiencing bouts of teenage insanity, peer pressure, and identity conflict.  I really enjoyed this book Love is for Losers! What a fantastic debut for Wibke Brueggemann, my first book reading from this author.

Love is for Losers is a great book to pick up and read.  Definitely would enjoy it!

I received an ARC from NetGalley for an honest review!!  Thank you.
I was not the intended audience for this book. However it was a trip to read a book in the mind of a 15 year old girl and it made me think about my diaries that I hope no one ever reads. In the end I wanted more of her relationship with Emma and her mother. I wanted to know if she ends up giving Richard to Emma or not. I wanted to know how the reunion went with her mother since there was a death stare. All in all I don’t think I’d recommend this to my friends as this was definitely meant for teenage readers.
I have mixed feelings about this book.

I like the writing style and how the "chapters" are split into various journal entries, and I liked the romance at the very end of the book. However, it took way longer for the book to get to that point than I expected or anticipated it to, and I disliked the main character at some points throughout the story.

While I did enjoy some aspects of the book, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I was anticipating to.
Love is for Losers by Wibke Brueggemann, is a coming of age, slice of life type YA story. There are heartwarming moments, there are heartbreaking moments and seemingly everything in between. The characters on the page all have such unique personalities that even with the large cast of characters you are never confused about who the main girl, Phoebe, is talking to or about.  Since the book is told in Phoebe’s perspective in the form of diary entries, we spend a lot of time seeing these characters how she sees them which is an interesting insight as Phoebe is a 15 year old girl going through some things.

The main issue I had with the book though was Phoebe, she very much suffers as a character. She is for the majority of the book 15 years old and she is having issues dealing with or asking for help with the circumstances of her life. Her mother is a traveling doctor and often leaves Pheobe behind with her godmother while she travels to warzones to help out citizens and people affected by the war. This greatly affects Phoebe’s relationship with her mother and thus also other people around her but nothing ever really happens with it she just stays mad the whole time.  Phoebe’s best friend Polly has fallen in love for the first time and Phoebe is of course jealous of the time Polly is spending with her new boyfriend. But even when Polly reaches out Phoebe spends most of the book either ignoring the attempts or just being angry about it. It isn’t until they have a huge fight over it that they ever even touch on the fact that their friendship is in a bad place because they don’t want to communicate.
	Pheobe spends the whole book not wanting to communicate with people because she finds that it is easier to ignore all of her problems and have them manifest in a psychosomatic stomachache then it would to let someone know that she is hurt despite people constantly reaching out. Fifteen is a difficult age though and it makes sense that not everyone at that age would feel comfortable talking to people about what is wrong. The issue is that she NEVER talks things over with people so there is little to no growth within her character since she has no way to grow in a way that will impact within the book.
	The one way that Pheobe does grow is that she does change her ideals that falling in love is worthwhile. She does that when she meets Emma and her Godmother’s thrift shop and spends the majority of the book trying to find a way to not be in love with her. This love plotline between Pheobe and Emma is by far the best part of the book. There relationship is fun to watch expand and take form throughout the book.
	Overall this book isn’t the worst, it suffers from a lack of character growth and gets frustrating because of that. But if you are looking for a book that will appeal to a young girl who thinks she is “not like the other girls” and is going through some things this might appeal to that reader. Unfortunately I just don’t think I could ever recommend it to any of the young readers that I know.
This book is perfectly paced, filled with great characters, extremely witty dialogue and hilariously salty observations about life but most importantly it has a beautiful love story that slowly creeps up on the main character that makes this a thoroughly memorable YA read.
This is a cute book that was fun to read. I love the teen angst and bitterness in the book. There is a lot of character development which I really enjoyed. Definitely a solid read and one I recommend!
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.

I was expecting this to be lighter and have more romance in it but I appreciate that it was more focused on Phoebe’s inner thoughts. There is definitely dry British humor at times but I still had moments that I laughed because Phoebe is such an introverted, relatable character. My favorite aspect was Phoebe’s moment of gay panic, it felt very realistic and I felt the author’s words in my gut when Phoebe was in crisis. If you’re looking for something more character/slice of life focused, I would suggest this title!
It starts off slow and kind of dense, but once the action begins, it's hard to resist the story as it drives forward. It reads as a true epic, one that makes you feel the world really has been reshaped as you read it. Would recommend.
A sweet and refreshing LGBTQ+ YA that's reminiscent of "The Princess Diaries" and "Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging". It's full of realistic moments of growing pain and you'll both love the main character and feel exasperated with her (in a good way). This was a fantastic approach to a young love story.
I really enjoyed this book! As a main character, Phoebe is a prickly and hurt teenager who is unconnected to her emotions. She's dealing with changing relationships, big exams, family revelations, new and wonderful friendships, and her queerness (eventually... It takes a while for her to understand what she's feeling). I was a pretty similar teenager, so I felt a lot of sympathy for her.

However, I think the writing style could be difficult for some - it's written in journal entries, and uses a lot textspeak (including hashtags).  Both things make her/some scenes seem cold or unemotional.

If you can enjoy the writing style and remember that she's interpreting everything from a place of self-protection, it's a really sweet read.

(Thank you to the publishers for the ARC)
I received a digital arc from netgalley in exchange for a review. I found the novel very fun and enjoyable
This book was received as an arc for a review with my thoughts and opinions of mine! This novel was so entertaining and comical! I found myself laughing and just really having fun with it. The characters were fun and enjoyable. Overall a great read!
This is a sweet LGBT YA romance with a host of interesting characters I haven't quite come across in similar books. It didn't quite hit all the marks for me, but I appreciate having a book with such a young protagonist coming to terms with her identiy.