Cover Image: Braver

Braver

Mother/son writing team, Suzanne Selfors and Walker Ranson both credit Brian Jacques and his Redwall series for the creation of “Braver” and certainly readers of that series will see similarities .  But this is not a rehash of the phenomenal heroes from Mossflower Wood or the fortress of Salamandastron. There is, however, the same major anthropomorphism of animals that almost has readers believing that a young wombat could save an island kingdom of creatures and Lola and her penguin and swamp rat friends do exactly that. The pacing of this book starts slow and almost lost me, but once the trek to the royal city is fully underway, readers will have trouble putting “Braver” down. Recommended for readers in 5th-8th grade and those who love not only Redwall, but other series like Lasky’s Guardians of Ga’Hoole, Applegate’ Endling, and maybe even books from Erin Hunter’s never ending animal adventures. No profanity, gory violence or sexual content. Thanks for the dARC, NetGalley.
This book was received as an ARC from Macmillan Children's Publishing Group - Imprint in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

This book was so adorably brilliant that I could not get enough. I thought it was the funniest thing ever that a wombat has a name like Lola Budge and her personality for becoming a brave wombat. When Lola find out that her parents have been captured by a demon unknown for many generations, it's up to her with the help of Queen Tassie to find this demon, defeat it and save her family and her fellow wombats. I know our younger readers especially fans of the Warriors series will appreciate this book a lot. I know this book will do very well at our library.

We will consider adding this title to our JFiction collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.