Cover Image: Small Matters

Small Matters

A fun and interesting science/nature book about how microscopic elements can have a big impact on life. Eleven different creatures are covered, with fascinating facts about things like the tiny hairs on bees' eyes that keep pollen out, or the teeth of the limpet sea snail, made of extremely thin metallic fibers, including iron, that are nearly indestructible. There are nice big photos of each of the microscopic elements discussed, and an overview of the scanning electron microscope used to create the images appears at the end of the book, along with more information about different things shown. Any kid interested in science and nature will enjoy this book!

#SmallMatters #NetGalley
Small things matter! This book is just 100% brilliant! Combining entertaining text with detailed colorful photography, Heather Ferranti Kinser teaches kids about how some really cool stuff in the world is very, very tiny. Tiny....but mighty!

From a sea snail's teeth that can eat rock to the gripping hairs on a gecko's feet, there are all sorts of really awesome, powerful small things that can be revealed with a microscope! The book also includes a lesson on the electron microscope and a list of books for additional reading.

This book could be used in an elementary science classroom or for supplementary reading. Or just as a fun book to enjoy! The bright photos and interesting facts would be appealing to reluctant readers. I like the message about small things being hidden, but mighty! Gives a nice perspective of the world....there are lots of really awesome things that we often miss because you have to look closer -- a lot closer -- to see them.

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Millbrook Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**
Small Matters: The Hidden Power of the Unseen by Heather Ferranti Kinser is currently scheduled for release on April 7 2020. Can something small matter at all? Of course it can! In this book for young readers (who know a thing or two about being small), you can take a super close look at details too little to be seen with the human eye. Powerful shots from scanning electron microscopes show shark skin, bird feathers, the hairs on a honeybee's eye, and so much more, proving that tiny details can make a BIG difference.

Small Matters is a wonderful book graphically. I loved the combination of images, both in normal and microscopic proportions. The colors and images popped on every page and are simply stunning to look at all on their own. I also loved the text of the book, teaching readers of all ages interesting facts about nature and showing them that sometimes it is the little things that make all the difference, even if they typically get overlooked. I learned several things, for instance I had no idea that a bee's eye had hairs, while some things I did already know. I also enjoyed that at the end of the book there was more information on the electron microscope and nano scale, and the science behind their invention and use. The further details on the close up images, and the suggestions for further reading were other nice touches that made the book even better in my eyes. I think those inclusions help the book reach a wider range of readers, and allow the youngest readers to continue loving the book as their reading skills and interests grow.

Small Matters is a visually stunning book that would make a great addition to libraries, particularly in schools and classrooms.
Small Matters by Heather Ferranti Kinser is a fun way to introduce science to small children. This book takes animals that most children are familiar with and adds fun facts and a close-up looks through a microscope about each of them. These are fun conversation starters. The illustrations are colorful and engaging.
‘Small Matters’ is a wonderful book to pique young children’s interest in science.  Each page features a different creature or concept magnified to show extreme detail.  Stunning, vivid photographs and bite-sized information on each page make this a very absorbing book for children to learn about the natural world.  What a fantastic, informative book!

Thank you to NetGalley and Millbrook Press for providing an ARC of this book.
This book is absolutely fascinating. It gives an up close and zoomed in look at nature and reveals the smallest yet most powerful details. My children loved this book. It is definitely one we'll return to again and again.
Small Matters The Hidden Power of the Unseen is filled with colorful photographs to match the informative text. This book gives examples of the small things that make up animals anatomy yet play a powerful role. From the sea snail to the bumble bee the small parts are vital to their survival. This is a great easy to read scientific book that children of all ages will be fascinated with.
This is a fascinating look at the wonders of wildlife, zooming in on nature to reveal how the smallest of details can be hugely powerful.

We see and learn about intriguing microscopic features, such as the teeth on snails' tongues and the hooks and grooves on birds' feathers. It's an engaging concept presented in a vibrant and super accessible way, with interesting typography, great design, and beautiful photography throughout.

The excellent backmatter expands further on the attributes covered in the book, as well as providing information about the scanning electron microscope and the nanoscale. Kids and their adults will enjoy marveling at and discussing all the details!
It is a wonderful picture book.
It introduces kids to concept of microscope and how this change when we magnify them.
With excellent pictures of magnificent magnified body parts of animals, it is shown things are different at microscopic level.
A very good collection of pictures.
Thanks netgalley and publisher for review copy.
This book is packed with engaging information for all readers! Powerful photographs and interesting facts that will have readers turning the pages to learn more.
If the fact that bumble bees have hairy eyeballs grosses you out, then this book is not for you! Not that bees really have eyeballs as such, but you know what I mean. The book literally zooms in on animals and finds things that are too small to be seen with the unaided eye.

I don't know about you, but for me, some books are way too long. This was too short, because it was over before I felt fully-satisfied by these truly engaging images and revelations. I wanted more, but for a much younger child than me, it's probably the ideal length. It educates young children to the unseen world, and encourages them to realize that there is much below the surface to fascinate and learn. I don't doubt that the lessons taught here will be as useful in preparing us for learning about fellow humans as they are in learning about the animals presented here, from all walks - and slithers an flights - of life.

In some thirty pages, we meet a sea-snail, a shark, a butterfly, a bird or two, a snake, an insect or two, and others that each has a microscopic secret to success. For example, I'm sure many of you know that a gecko has a sort of 'suction pad' on its feet that help it climb the walls, but the details of exactly how this works are really interesting - and it's not really a suction pad! Each creature we visit here has a similar script about some aspect of its life. It turns out that 'small matters' are big deals! I found it fascinating and educational and I commend this as a worthy read.
This is a great science-themed book that gives kids a look at parts of animals (a cat's tongue, a gecko's toes, a bee's hairs, etc.) under high powered microscopes to see how these parts help them. It uses colorful photos that are likely to get kids interested in microscopes and looking at their own discoveries under them. The back includes some additional information about microscopes and the animals and their elements featured.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for the purpose of review.
I thought that this was a great book!

The images are perfect and I loved how close they get to the different creatures.

The book was easy to read and follow and it was a great opportunity to see something you wouldn't normally see, with a few added facts in here or there too.

It is 5 stars from me for this one - very highly recommended!
Wow!  Looks like this book would be a terrific introduction to young budding scientists -- those boys and girls just curious about anything and everything.  Even I learned a few things by reading this book.

The pictures are gorgeous and the details are impressive.  The book cover, however, doesn't do the content justice.

I loved this book, but then again I love science.  A keeper.

Thank you NetGalley!
Small matters is an educational book for curious children. There are some excellent magnified photographs of animal parts along with the explanations of how does it work. Great, I like it.
A great introduction for young children to the idea of life at a microscopic level. The text is interesting and simple as is the layout. The photos are vibrant and eye catching. The information learned is pretty fun. All in all, a cool book.
What an amazing book! With vivid photographs and ultra cool microscopic close ups, readers of all ages will delight in discovering a world they never get to see. What does the wings of a butterfly look like up close? An amazing close up will astound young readers! Filled with information about the animals shown, this will be a very popular book in your juvenile nonfiction collection.
Short, simple, well presented and explained, easy to read documentary on small thing in the animals world. Very well done! Nothing more to say!
Thank you netgalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Lovely storybook with vivid photographs and fun facts. The author shares incredible pictures and opens a world where small unimaginable things are just a microscopic view away. Loved it!