Cover Image: Fast Girls

Fast Girls

This is an interesting book rich with historical detail about the determination of women athletes to compete in the Olympic Games of 1928, 1932 and 1936. Three women in this book accomplish the impossible as they become the trailblazers for the future athletes. Actual newspaper clippings add to the well researched details in this book.
#FastGirls #EliseHooper #NetGalley
I loved learning more about these women, as these were events I didn't know much about prior. Excellent and engaging read- will recommend
Sports pioneers of the twentieth century; Betty Robinson, Helen Stephens and Louise Stokes were among the few female athletes headed to the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, Nazi Germany. After years of fighting to be part of their local track and field teams, these fast and feisty runners overcame adversity at every turn. Repeatedly told their sex was too fragile to compete, reprimanded for this unladylike behavior, in addition to racial discrimination;  Betty, Helen and Louise, along with many others spent years proving their abilities and strength on and off the course. With a tiny taste of success in 1928 and 1932, the women were training hard to make the U.S. proud and refute Adolf Hitler’s attempt to prove his theories of Aryan racial superiority. As the politically charged Berlin Games became a powerful propaganda tool for Nazi Germany the athletes who had considered boycotting the events, continued to strive for greatness. Narrated by their personal histories and newspaper clippings, Fast Girls shares these often untold historical stories of champions who paved the future for female athletes everywhere.
**I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review

Fast Girls blew me away. I so enjoyed reading about women I had never heard of. It's always strange to hear of women that were trailblazers, but not taught in any school curriculum. Helen, Bette, and Louise were amazing to learn about. How passionate they were about seeing women compete in the Olympics as well as the push they had to compete in a place they weren't completely welcome. There was a lot of support for each other as well as understanding of how they got to compete in 1936 at Berlin. I loved reading this book. I felt like even though it's a fictional book, I learned a lot about the real events of women being able to compete in the Olympics. It got me all fired up for Tokyo 2020!
This book was received as an ARC from HarperCollins Publishers - William Morrow Paperbacks in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

With Tokyo 2020 Olympics just around the corner, this is the perfect book to read to get inspired. I have heard of the fastest woman alive Olympic competition and knowing the stories of Betty Robinson, Louise Stokes, and Helen Stephens and what they had to do to overcome the adversity from the war and the Nazi organization. This race was not just for their careers but to shape history as we know it. When women were not among the chosen to compete in the Olympics, this story is more powerful than ever to learn about how history has been made and how ti shaped to the world we live in today. I know our community will really be inspired by this novel and will not get enough of it.

We will consider adding this title to our Historical Fiction collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.