Cover Image: Marry Him

Marry Him

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an advanced copy of this book. The review I'm leaving is being done voluntarily and contains my own thoughts, views, and personal opinions.

I wavered a bit with my star rating on this novel, as there were bits I loved and bits I cringed over. I settled on a 3.5 and am rounding up.

So... where to begin. I think I'll start with the areas that didn't work, just to get them over with. Firstly, Joe was a painfully childish character. I get where the author was trying for humor, but in many places, I had that cringey feeling where you feel sorry and uncomfortable for someone because they're trying too hard and really just making a fool of themselves. That happened more often than I'm willing to admit. In fact, quite a bit of the humor in this gave me that queasy feeling of being embarrassed for the character (and the author).

Then there was the flashbacks/time hopping. I get where the author was going with it, and it KIND of worked, but really it just irritated me. I can't stand when I'm reading a book and it's written like a movie. Yes, in movies, time hops like that work as a story telling tool. But books are a different medium that require a different and personalized approach.

Now, to discuss what did work for me, which was mostly everything else. I loved the side characters the most. While they did have their own moments of cringe, they were mostly delightful and unique and fun. I also found the storyline to be delightful and just fresh enough to keep me turning the page despite frustrations that might've ended my read had the rest of the book not been so wonderful.

It's a real thing when a reader says, "It's not you, it's me." Honestly, not every read is for everyone, and what one person might fawn all over, another might spend hours finding new ways to throw it under the bus. I think this book definitely came out the end as more positive than negative for me, but it might be something others will love beyond measure. So, I encourage you to give it a shot if it seems even remotely likely to be something you'd enjoy!
I picked this title because I am always on the for good LGBTQ stories. The cover was cute, the plot sounded fun. I was disappointed. I loved this book. I had actual tears in my eyes. I laughed so hard. So so so so Good. Then I got the end (which I was sad to see come) and I realized it was a Riptide Publishing book and was like ding ding ding. Of course this is fantastic M/M romance cause I have loved every Riptide book I have ever read and this one makes my 16th Riptide title. Check this book out and check out the publisher too. You will not regret it.
This was a little confusing when I didn't realize it was going to be back and forth so much, from present to past, etc.
However, all that being said, well written book. I liked that we got to see the character's relationship develop from basically hatred, to tolerate, to loving each other. We saw years with them, as well as funny and heart-breaking moments.
Very enjoyable read.
This was hilarious. I love the aspect of opposites marrying. It's a beautiful depiction of love between two people, and I love that it's literature representing LGBTQ couples and showing they are like anyone. It's a fun and sexy read.
I loved this book! I have to say I wasn’t too sure based on the premise of the story. This was a cute love story about Joe and Harry who are complete opposites. From the flashbacks presented throughout the book we see them first meet, to their first date, the funny wedding proposal, and to finally their wedding day. The author keeps you guessing on what will  happened in the end. I found myself laughing throughout the whole book. Joe’s friends provided a lot of humor. I loved his friends. This was definitely a sweet, funny, and enjoyable love story.

I received an ARC from Riptide Publishing and Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. Thank you for my copy!!
I really loved the premise of this book and the cover and I loved reading about Joe and Harry's complicated relationship. I was really rooting for them to be happy. However, the time jump back in and forth and then up until their wedding day was not executed well by this author and it was irritating to the story. Joe is a mess and Harry is the sensible one but their opposites attract , it is everything around them driving them apart.

This story had so much going for it and it was very funny in some parts plus I loved their story. I just couldn't get beyond the jumping around so much in the storyline. I don't mind storylines that change but this was just bothersome AF.

Still worth the read if you can focus on Joe and Harry and not the timeline. Thanks to Netgalley, Marina For and Riptide Publishing for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Available: 3/20/20
•*´¨)✯ ¸.•*¨)
✮ (¸.•´The making of Joe & Harry...

"It was meant to be a one-night stand, not 'I do.'"

Jesus take the wheel. This was the most chaotic, over the top, can you believe that happened? book I have ever read and I want to thank the author for the most laughter in one sitting. Joe and Harry's story was a hoot and one that will have me exploring again when I want to exact this feeling.

It was all over the place, encompassing their relationship out of order and coming to the end with a happy ending. Joe and Harry's story is for anyone who has experienced a mishmash of emotions and uncertainty about being with someone and finally getting it right.

There were exes, break ups and make ups. There were other people whose stories entwined with theirs. Parents who were NOT the prime examples and friends whom, though you had to love, were just downright exhausting.

This may not be a book for everyone, but if you love over the top and HEA, one click and enjoy the confusion. This is one of those things that make you go, hmmm, books.

I voluntarily and honestly reviewed this book without bias or persuasion from the author through Netgalley.
Thank you NetGalley, Riptide Publishing and  Marina Ford for gifting me an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion! All opinions are mine.
     Joe Kaminski is an easy going artist living in London just landed a new job at P&B Designs. He struggles to find his place within in the high profile company while staying true to his laid back lifestyle. Harry Byrne is a man of planning and structure, but after ending a seven year relationship, he's finding himself on unstable ground. The chemistry is instant, but the two men couldn't be less alike. Flash forward five years and they are engaged and closing in on their wedding day quickly.
    This one sounded super fun, but it just didn't quite hit the mark for me. I think Joe could've really shined in this story, but his personality was just over the line of annoying. I just really couldn't feel the spark between him and Harry, it didn't feel believable to me. Time jumps are hard to get right and I found them to just clutter the storyline here instead of help.
This is a cute male-male romance novel that has multiple timelines involved.

The times lines help you to understand what happened five years before they got married, five months before they go married, a few weeks before they got married, and on their wedding day. With the book starting off on their wedding day you always assume that they will actually be getting married but this writer is able to create that doubt with the jumping timeline. I will say that at some points I was annoyed because I wanted to stay in that timeline to figure out what happened. Or it would take me a few lines to remember where the timeline stopped in the previous chapter to understand what was going on. Regardless, overall this book was great! It not only talked about their romance, it also highlights a heterosexual couples romance which was a rollercoaster. Marina Ford also comments on how to deal with parents who may not be accepting of their children's sexual orientation.

This was a great book and I look forward to reading more from this author.
I liked this but I didn't love it. I felt parts were rushed and overall the story didn't flow well. There was definitely a lack of romance in this and i felt that keenly throughout.
Marry Him caught my eye with its cute, simple cover and the promise of a romantic comedy. I love opposites attract romances and the start of Marry Him felt like it was going to be a cute, fun ride filled with some silly bobbles. While I definitely got a lot of that, Marry Him ended up being a bit of a mixed bag for me.

It honestly felt as though the author tried too hard to make this into a comedy of errors rather than let the silly misadventures and missteps provide a more balanced humor. Additionally, the timeline shifting back and forth created a less cohesive storyline and kept me from really getting to watch these two come together, fall in love, and then move toward their happily ever after. I’m not usually one that gets stuck on these details, but I think this aspect combined with the uncertainty regarding Harry’s actions leading up to the big day, and the random occurrences that disrupted the couple’s plans made things much more chaotic than they needed to be. All that said, I did like these two together. I loved that Harry saw all the good in Joe, looking over the silliness that he and his friends often got into and embracing the person beneath all the misadventures. And while some of the stylistic choices didn’t work well for me, the overall style and character development was solid. I think fans of misadventures and silly comedic moments might enjoy Marry Him and all the craziness that leads up to Harry and Joe’s big day.
My initial response when I finished Marry Him: “Well, that was frustrating, but fun nonetheless. I think I need a break from angsty, miscommunication reads for a little while though….” Believe it or not, I (almost) stuck to that promise 😉

As frustrating as watching all the missteps (mainly by Joe) that happened along the way to their HEA, it was a fun trip. I know some readers were equally frustrated by the fact that much of the story went back and forth between the past and present. It may have been easier to just tell the story chronologically, but since the story took place during a 5 year span, for me, that approach kept things interesting. Just be forewarned…

On paper, Harry and Joe would be labeled the least likely couple to work, but they really complimented each other… eventually. The humor is what drove this story for me. The supporting characters were great, but not always helpful. More often than not, they added to the chaos. A lot of this couple’s problems would have been resolved with just a little bit of communication.

This was my first Marina Ford book, but I seriously doubt it will be my last.
Did I request this title solely because it promised a gay romance with a wedding according to the cover? Yes.
Was I disappointed even though it kind of delivered? Also yes.
I don't know, this book just was a miss for me. The characters felt incredibly flat and sometimes I wouldn't be able to distinguish between Joe and Harry because there was nothing that truly put them apart in my mind? Their voices 'read' the same in my head, their characteristics were only told and never actually shown.
The humor wasn't my cup of tea, either, it mostly felt immature or too forced, as if I could tell when the author wanted the reader to laugh, it just felt calculated.
There were also a bunch of secondary characters and the funny thing is that some of them were more fleshed out than the protagonists so that irked me a bit.
However, humor is incredibly subjective so this could very well just be a it's me not you type of situation.
This book was a total miss for me. I had multiple issues with it.

First off the time jumps did not work here. It goes back and forth from 5 years previously to the last few months before the wedding. Some authors can pull time jumps off but this one was disruptive to the story imo. We never get to see Joe and Harry's relationship develop. It's so back and forth I never felt any emotional attachment to them and never felt them falling for each other. It was also confusing in place. Worse yet, it kept breaking up the flow of the story. I'd just be getting in to the early days of their relationship and then it would time jump again.

I didn't like Joe at all. I thought he was immature and ridiculous and all of the things I was supposed to find funny annoyed the crap out of me. There were all these mishaps and things that happened that were supposed to make this a comedy (I think) but I didn't find one thing funny. I was rolling my eyes and then by 50% or so I started skimming cuz I just wanted this to be over.

Harry was ok but we don't get a real sense of him. There were a host of side characters.....many ulikable.....and we spend too much time with some of them. I cared even less for Joe's friend's relationship drama than I did for Joe and Harry's.

Unfortunately this was really not good for me. I'm not rating it lower, even though I disliked it immensely, because the writing and editing were fine. There are some good reviews out there so you should check those out. Maybe this is just me.
Story of two guys falling in love amongst all the odds and getting married.  One carefree guy vs one organized planner.  The romance quotient or the chemistry between them was insufficient.  The carefree guy was way too childish at times.  That seemed to be intentional.  The story is told in two different timelines.  One current day, wedding day and the other five years ago.  Switching between timelines made it difficult for me to follow the story.
An absolutely charming read! The story was witty and heartwarming with sweet main characters and their outlandish friends. It’s a relatively quick and light read, and downright funny.

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.
Unfortunately this book just didn't quite work out for me. For starters,I found Joe so very childish for his age - I understand that there are going to be grown adults who are still slightly immature and haven't fully grown up but Joe just seemed to take it to another level. I understand wanting to make a character a bit cutesy and kitsch by adding in small mishaps and accidents but Joe just seemed to take it to a whole other level that was just embarassing and way too much. I also really struggled to connect with any of the characters at all and I strugg;ed to figure out who some of the characters were - like Chloe, his flatmate. I feel like I know absolutely nothing aout her or how she even actually fitted into Joe's life apart from being his flatmate.

The romance was pretty cute between Joe and Henry although I still struggled to figure out how on earth they ended up together or worked out at all. And again, I feel like all Joe's quirks just ruined the romance and made their relationship seem even more unlikely. We got some side story also in the quest to find Joe's parents and the relationship between Joe's friend Frank and his partner Gabrielle. But it almost seemed like there was again, too much going on in the story that all came to a head at the same time.

I feel like this could be a great book with a bit more backstory to some of the characters and if Joe's kook's were toned down a bit. Overall, just a 2-star read.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.

I just couldn't get into this book. The jumping around timeline and writing style completely distracted me from the book. I only got about 25% in before I stopped reading.
3* It made me smile, and it had potential, but it was a bit too much 'too many cooks'.

This is a tale that had potential, but that feels like it fell straight out of the author's brain and onto a Kindle page, without seeing an editor - it had a confusing timeline that jumped from the here and now, i.e., the couple's wedding day, to six months before the wedding day, to 5 years before the wedding day, when the leads met. There was no explanation as to why the jumps were there or why the author chose them, and I ended up confused as it was all really unnecessary and it just muddied things up with me trying to catch up.

There were nice parts to it: British-of-Jamaican-origin Joe Kaminski, a sweet artist, but who happens to be the most inept IRL person ever; Henry Someoneorother, once a business owner but then something I had no clue about (the change in his circs added nothing to the tale); Henry's sister, brother-in-law and mother; Joe's mother and his flatmate, Chloe, a 60yo woman; Joe's bestie, Frank, a Scotsman (or maybe an Irishman; it was hard to tell, and by then, I didn't really care) and his true love, Gabriella, the daughter of a minister. And then the not-so-nice parts: Henry's ex who refused to leave the picture; Henry's dad who I think was made out to be bigoted, but if so, the author failed and then failed in redeeming him; all the shenanigans that seemed to happen a few days before the wedding, involving seemingly everyone, so that the whole thing turned into a Carry On movie, and the wedding cake Henry's mum made, made of coffee ice cream, lettuce, ketchup and frozen fruit - don't ask.

There were far too many cooks in this tale and everything came to the boil at the same time, out of control. I think that with a bit of sitting back, rethinking and some diligent editing and weeding out the filler, this could have been a sweet, cozy, low-key romance of opposites attracting. As it was, it sounded like confused ramblings. Unfortunately.

ARC courtesy of Riptide Publishing and NetGalley, for my reading pleasure.
I’m so happy I took a chance on this book by a new-to-me author, because I really liked it!

The story opens on the day of Joe and Harry’s wedding, which is on course to be a complete (and completely hilarious) disaster. Then it tracks back to five years before the big day to show how the two of them met, before jumping to six months before the wedding, when Joe decides to propose to Harry. The storyline continues jumping back and forth in alternating chapters between the opening months of Joe and Harry’s relationship and the near past until the narrative arrives back at the wedding day at the end of the novel.

Readers who aren’t put off by the structure of the book will be rewarded with a terrifically funny story. It’s an opposites-attract romance, with Harry being the sensible one to Joe’s irresponsible whirlwind. Joe’s more than a bit of a mess, honestly, and that results in some very humorous moments. The chapters detailing Joe’s attempt to plan and execute a romantic proposal are pure comedy—definitely laugh out loud material.

It’s not all fun and games, though. Joe desperately loves Harry, and some of the writing where Joe is thinking about Harry and the depth of his feelings for him is sweetly romantic. Joe’s also got some serious abandonment issues, and Harry unfortunately manages to trip over them at times, leading to heartbreak for poor Joe.

The worst thing about this book? I now want to read more books by the author, and she’s only written a few others. Sadness!

Seriously, though, I’d recommend Marry Him to anyone who enjoys (mostly) lighthearted romance.

A copy of this book was provided by NetGalley for review; all opinions expressed are my own.