Cover Image: Alan Turing

Alan Turing

I like that these books introduce us to a lot of different kinds of inspiring figures. ANd its important for them to show us their struggles, that wee see how even when a person was recognized as a valued contributor in their own time, that doesn't mean that they are accepted in general. In spite of all he achieved, Turing was still oppressed by his culture.
This series is always a good read with my son and it was exciting to see another LGBTQ individual featured (we had previously read the Bowie book).
My thanks to Quarto Publishing Group - Francis  Lincoln Children’s Books for a temporary digital edition via NetGalley of ‘Alan Turing’, written by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara and illustrated by Ashley Lindsay, in exchange for an honest review.

This little book is intended for children aged 4-7 and is part of its publishers acclaimed ‘Little People, BIG DREAMS’ series that introduces young readers to the lives and works of significant people including scientists, writers, political figures and the like via books and educational games.

This manages to present in a few pages the essence of Alan Turing’s life and work. The censure he faced when his homosexuality was revealed, the treatment he voluntarily undertook, and his suicide was always going to be sensitive issues to introduce to young readers. However, I felt that the author was respectful to Turing’s memory and also pointed out that the British government did apologise fifty years later to Turing and thousands of gay men for the treatment they received.

We can only imagine what Alan Turing, the father of computer science, might have accomplished if he had lived in a more accepting society.

The artwork is simple and colourful and I felt that it worked well with the text.

This is a book and series that I am always happy to recommend to any parent, teacher, or librarian.
I enjoyed reading about the famous mathematician!

We need to dream big, and accept that being different is ok.
We need to be able to see when we can let our light shine and who knows make an impact.
Like all the books in the Little People BIG DREAMS series, this boson Alan Turing is just another gem. Most of us know Alan via the movie The Imitation Games ut this book by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara brings his not-so-simple mind alive for little readers who are just beginning to grasp all the things that they can conjure up through their imagination. The series as it is , is doing an important work in my opinion. bringing to life the many main events that helped shape these personalities . Linzie Hunter's beautiful illustrations take this a step further and make these more interesting for the little readers and leaders in the making.
I walk past his statue in Manchester’s Sackville Park on my way to work so was eager to read this advance copy via NetGallery. The book is a touching portrayal of the inspiring and sad life of Alan Turing. His life as a mathematician and code breaker changed all of our lives for the better. unfortunately, he was not treated with the respect and compassion he deserved. He was treated terribly for being gay and his amazing wartime calculations which were thought to have saved over 14 million lives was kept secret for decades.

A wonderful addition to the Little People, Big Dreams series. I will be adding this to a post on Children’s Books about Inventors Perfect for Teaching STEM in May.
The most recent installment of the Little People Big Dreams series, Alan Turing is a simple biography, perfect for young readers. Introverts everywhere will find a relatable figure in Turing, and illustrations will engage emerging readers. A timeline, photos, and extra details at the back make for good conversation points for caregivers or librarians to share with children.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an advance electronic copy in exchange for my honest review.
The Little People, Big Dreams series is one of my favorites!  It's a great way to introduce young readers to some truly amazing people.  The illustrations are always on point and the text is simple yet powerful.  Highly recommend!
trigger warning
 conversion therapy, homophobia /spoiler>

Again, this installment of the little people, big dreams series focuses on the story of a person who once was a small child with a certain passion. Alan Turin was awfully shy and liked math.

And again, this book taught me some things I didn't know beforehand. Also, the topic of conversion therapy was handled admirably - children will be able to understand this explanation, and later on can learn more about such devastating topics.

I really, really like this series.
I recieved a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Both my kids loved this, despite their age differences. Sprinkled with history in terms they can understand, my son liked hearing about a programmer like he could be, and my daughter liked having a book she could read.
This is a great way to introduce kids to the life of Alan Turing, his accomplishments, and the complex issues he dealt with in his life. I loved the bold illustrations and the emotions they are able to convey. I especially love the photos of Alan Turing in the back of the book to add real-life connection and context to the picture book. This is a book I look forward to adding to our school library's biography section.
A delightful introduction to Turing. I love the style, colours and vintage feel of the book. My son is already fascinated by computers and problem solving so I loved sharing this with him. A brilliant STEM book and one to add to my growing collection. This book belongs in every young child’s library and classroom.
Glad Turing was included in this series. Having been overlooked/kept hidden for so long in history, it's important for kids to know his story for multiple reasons. I also particularly like the illustrations in this book.
Pretty interesting children's book about the life of Alan Turing. The illustrations are wonderful. The story was compelling, but could really use a rewrite. It's grammatically incorrect and stilted and awkward. Because of some of the content, war and persecution, I'd recommend this for children perhaps 5-6 and up. It's definitely a book that could lead to a heavier discussion.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing a copy of this ARC.
This is a beautifully sensitively told story of one of the greatest but most unknown heroes of the Second World War. This is perfect for any children in your life to help feed their interest in history. All the books in this series have beautiful illustrations which accompany a story told at the perfect level for young children.
When it is eternally snowy and cold outside, superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

In this book from the critically acclaimed, multimillion-copy best-selling Little People, BIG DREAMS series, discover the life of Alan Turing, the genius code-cracker and father of theoretical computer science and artificial intelligence.

Alan grew up in England, where his best friends were numbers and a little boy called Christopher. When his young friend died, Alan retreated to the world of numbers and codes, where he discovered how to crack the code of the Nazi Enigma machine. This moving book features stylish and quirky illustrations and extra facts at the back, including a biographical timeline with historical photos and a detailed profile of the brilliant mathematician's life.

Little People, BIG DREAMS is a best-selling series of books and educational games that explore the lives of outstanding people, from designers and artists to scientists and activists. All of them achieved incredible things, yet each began life as a child with a dream.

This empowering series offers inspiring messages to children of all ages, in a range of formats. The board books are told in simple sentences, perfect for reading aloud to babies and toddlers. The hardcover versions present expanded stories for beginning readers. Boxed gift sets allow you to collect a selection of the books by theme. Paper dolls, learning cards, matching games, and other fun learning tools provide even more ways to make the lives of these role models accessible to children.

Inspire the next generation of outstanding people who will change the world with Little People, BIG DREAMS!

If you are reading this on a digital device, you can thank Alan Turing - yes, he cracked the Nazi code, but he was also instrumental in computers being created. What he went through in his personal life was HORRIBLE ... and his death was indicative of how bad things got. (I will let you read the book and understand more about that!)

A great board book to read to kids so they can understand about computers, AI, code and this wonderful man.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 💻💻 💻 💻 💻
Another biography for the Little People, Big Dreams series.  This one introduces children to the mathematician and scientist, Alan Turing.  The children who read this will learn about a heroic man who helped the allies win World War 2.  And, they will also learn about the fact that he was treated unfairly because he was homosexual.  It is quietly straightforward with information that might have been omitted in biographies published in earlier years.  The artwork is lovely, and the story inspiring

Thank you to Netgalley and Frances Lincoln Children's Books for the digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.
I thought this was such a great little biography of Alan Turing. He was one of the smartest men out there who helped win WWII with his machine to help crack codes and it was sad how his life turned out in the end. I hope kids can start learning a little bit about him now and when they get older read more about him.
I received an advanced reader copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

This is another fantastic installment in the Little People Big Dreams series. This time it is about Alan Turing whos amazing mathematical mind played such a huge role in code breaking and stopping the war.
I liked how it included that Alan was homosexual and how unfairly he was treated for being this way. It shows children being different is their right and that the world has changed so much and that they can help to keep on changing it for the better by following their own hopes and dreams.
This is beautifully written and illustrated. It is great to see a child-friendly book written about Alan Turing that highlights his role in British history and mathematical history.
I can imagine this to be a great source of inspiration to young people who feel they don't fit in or feel more comfortable alone rather than in large groups of peers. The relationship between Alan and Christopher as first loves is sensitively and appropriately explained.
This is a fantastic book in the series and I would not hesitate to recommend it to UKS2 children.