Cover Image: The Amelia Six

The Amelia Six

Millie and five other girls were chosen to stay at the home of Amelia Earhart. While enjoying their stay, Amelia Earhart’s flight goggles go missing. Can the girls work together to solve the mystery?
The Amelia Six is the perfect mystery for middle grade readers! I love the Amelia Earhart trivia that is included throughout the book. This is definitely a page-turner that will keep you guessing the whole time.
This was a darling middle grade book that I am actually going to purchase a physical copy since I have three girls at home. Who would love this Nancy Drew Esque Story. This story was totally fun I loved that it was based on Amelia Earhart and had some good info throughout the pages but still fun and clever and will definitely capture a young readers attention!! I’m definitely going to look into Kristins other books to add to my girls shelves!
I really enjoyed this book. The events were perfect and it was a great read. The characters were well developed and I liked the gist of the novel.. The story was filled with adventure on every page. I loved reading this book. It is perfect for readers 8-11.
A middle-grade mystery for history buffs with an interest in Amelia Earhart.  I felt the historical content was stronger than the mystery, so recommend it to young readers who enjoy history and adventure rather than diehard mystery fans.  Really enjoyed the Women's History/Women in STEM angle.
Amelia "Millie" Ashford is one of six girls chosen to spend the night at Amelia Earhart's childhood home in Atchison, Kansas.  While choosing a bedroom, she accidentally walks into the room where Amelia Earhart's goggles from her solo flight are stored before being sent to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC. Later that night, during a scavenger hunt, the goggles mysteriously disappear.

Millie is good at solving puzzles.  After all, she finished first place in cubing competition but friendships are not as easy as solving the classic three by three.   But when Birdie, the caretaker of the house falls ill and the other adults in the house don't seem to be trustworthy,  Millie along with Thea, twins Robin and Wren, Nathalie, and Cassie decide  they, the Amelia Six, must band together using their problem solving skills to find both the goggles and the criminal.

With an absorbing plot, dynamic characters, and facts about Amelia Earhart (as well as other female pilots such as African-American and Native American pilot Bessie Colman and deaf pilot Nelle Zabel Willhite) woven into the storyline, I was a captive reader eager to piece together the clues and solve the mystery with the Amelia Six.  I love that Gray chose Millie to narrate because it was an added bonus getting to witness Millie change and grow from the beginning to the end.   As the Amelia Six collaborated, Millie not only emerged as a leader and a friend but also started to come to terms with her pilot mother who left the family when she was ten.  And for readers who want to learn more about Earhart, Gray has included a reading list and an author's note which includes more facts, links, and sources. Thanks to Jenny Lu of Simon and Schuster for sending a copy to read and review.  The Amelia Six recently published on June 30, 2020.
This novel is an odd combination of puzzle and mystery. It certainly starts out with a simple puzzle plot, a treasure hunt, but somewhere around the mid point it dissolves into a straightforward crime tale. Thy mystery is thin.. One gets the sense that the plot is mostly just an excuse to share some facts about Amelia Earhart. There's little in the way of character development, little character complexity.
This is a classic whodunit wrapped in kid friendly packaging and served up with a healthy dose of girl power!  I loved the fact that the mostly female cast showed the roles women have in society and how even now, there are differences sometimes in how they are treated, respected, and/or looked to, while reinforcing that the JUST BE YOU philosophy is truly the only way to go.  If you like cubing, like cubing.  If you like scientific exploration, then like it.  If you want to breach the new frontier, grow the most beautiful flowers, tinker with gizmos and gadgets, do it!  The world is your oyster and no one can tell you what you can or cannot be.  It's a great message for any age, but especially the youngsters this Middle Grade release is intended for, and quite honestly, it's done rather well!

Really...it sneaks in while you're busy getting to know the characters, for better or worse.  It makes itself at home as the mystery starts to unfold and skills are put to the test from problem solving to engineering.  It reveals itself slowly as all the clues start to come together and the moment of truth arrives...even as the BIG TWIST happens and it looks like lights out (again!) for the whole crew...keeping you on your toes and those brain cells firing!  It's a great combination of story, skills, and heart that'll leave you with the warm fuzzies, but also a curiosity that might need to be slaked about SO MANY things, and that invitation to explore more, never hurt anyone.
I enjoyed this book. There were a lot of facts about Amelia Earhart that were fabulous. I really appreciated all the sources and future reading ideas at the end. I think Middle Grade audiences will love this story. There's a lot of adventure and excitement. The mystery was fun to try to solve. Overall, a cute and positive read.

Thank you so much NetGalley and Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing for the digital copy of The Amelia Six in exchange for my honest review.
I didn’t know a whole lot about Amelia Earhart before reading this book – besides the most obvious, that she disappeared on one of her flights and was never seen again. In The Amelia Six, I got to know a lot more about the person Amelia was – and I love that! This is a fantastic middle grade mystery. It follows Millie, and five other girls, who have all won an overnight in Amelia Earhart’s childhood home. These are all fairly different girls – and I liked the diversity – but they are all connected by their love of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math).

While the book is told in Millie’s POV, I really liked getting to know all the girls. You aren’t sure about some of them in the beginning but they all grow on you! As for the mystery, this is a fun one! I wouldn’t say it’s super difficult to figure out, though I wasn’t entirely sure who the culprit was myself as it could be a few different people. There is definitely a feeling of “who can you trust?” once Amelia’s goggles go missing, and I really enjoyed that! It was the six girls for themselves and they do an amazing job.

I don’t know if The Amelia Six will be a series, but I would happily go on more mystery adventures with these girls.
Very good middle grade mystery. Highly recommend for those who have a vague understanding of Amelia Earhart and her life. Many twists and turns to the novel which keeps you reading plus the chapters are short and leave a cliff hanger at each one.
Love the links at the end of the book to learn more plus the bonus information about Amelia Earhart. You can truly tell that this book was well thought out and heavily researched. Makes me want to visit Atchison, Kansas where the book is based and Ms Earhart's hometown.
The Amelia Six was a fun middle grade mystery and I am glad to have read it.

Six girls from all different backgrounds, who all have different reasons as to why they were chosen, get to spend the night in Amelia Earhart's childhood home for the night.

Birdie one of the ninety-nine, lady pilots, is the person in charge of the childhood home and she also lives  there. There are a goggles that Amelia wore and it's the pride and joy of the site. During a scavenger hunt full of fun Earhart facts the girls find that the goggles are missing!

So who could have taken the goggles? Besides the six girls there is only three adults in the house. The girls decide that they must try and figure things out before their parents come and get them the next day.

I thought this was a cute mystery story fill with fun facts about Amelia Earhart. The girls were all pretty cool in their own ways and even though they all didn't get off to a good start with each other at first they quickly became friends and worked together to figure things out.

I think it's a great little mystery for young readers and would highly recommend it!
Thank you to @netgalley and @simonkids for a free digital copy of this book!
•••
You guys. This book is so cute, a delightful middle grade novel about friendship and girl power! It squarely places girls as the hero of their own story and provides a lot of delightful tidbits about Amelia Earhart as well. This is the story of six girls who win a contest to spend the night at Earhart’s childhood home and while there, they find themselves embroiled in a mystery to find her missing flight goggles which are about to be sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
•••
I loved all the references to Nancy Drew, and I really enjoyed each girls' unique personality. All were portrayed as funny and smart, but also unique, with their own thoughts, feelings, and personality. The book also had a big focus on girls in STEM, which you know I am here for. Plus, a whodunnit mystery? Sign me up. If you’re looking for a book with a bit of nostalgia that has the very best of all the series you loved as a kid, look no further than The Amelia Six. I loved it. PICK.
Great middle grade mystery in a terrific setting. I loved Millie and enjoyed the ensemble of girls in the book. The mystery was twisty, with higher stakes and more suspense than I was expecting. Tons of Amelia Earhart tidbits throughout the book and back matter. Mystery fans and Amelia Earhart fans as well as readers who enjoy ensemble stories (although told by one character) should be sure to check this out!
This book is about a group of six young girls who get invited to spend the night at Amelia Earhart’s house. And when Amelia’s famous goggles go missing and other things go awry, they must solve the mystery!. When I read that synopsis, I could not hit the request button on NetGalley fast enough. This book has so much working in its favor. It touches on friendship, and bravery, and being confident in yourself. It has mystery and action and quirky characters. It highlights and celebrates women in a multitude of STEM fields. It’s modern, but still feels like it could be a Nancy Drew novel. I loved the reading experience. I will be looking for more books by Kristin Gray. (Plus how cute is this cover?!)
Honestly, the cover and title is what originally pulled me to this book. I love the illustrations and I’ve always been fascinated of Amelia Earhart. She is one of the many we read about in 4th grade, so I knew I would enjoy this story.

I was not expecting for this book to be a mystery, but I am so glad it is. I always feel like a good mystery is great for reluctant readers because as a reader you too are trying to crack the case. Even though there were 6 girls and a few other main characters in this story it was very easy to keep up with. Kristin L. Gray did a phenomenal job of giving each of the six girls a different personality and appearance to help decipher who was who.

Now for the mystery—boy, oh boy! I got a vibes of Sherlock Holmes, Scooby Doo, and the game Clue all-in-one. Not only do you learn such crazy and unheard of facts about Amelia Earhart, but you also get to see how passionate these characters are about her. I was baffled by the time I caught on to who was the suspect who hid Amelia Earhart’s goggles. I did catch on a bit earlier than the reveal, but I still think the story was well-written.

This book would be great for lower middle grade (3rd) to middle school kiddos. The vocabulary and language is not too advance so that is why I am putting a wider range of readers for this book. It reminds me a bit like A Dog-Friendly Town by Josephine Cameron in plot and ease of reading.
Six girls are invited to Amelia Earhart's childhood home as a celebration only to be thrown into a mystery where everyone is a suspect. Our main character Amelia overcomes her fears to gain ease in a new setting and then to use her detective skills she learned from vintage Nancy Drew books. A fun combination of aviation mixed with whodunit.
There’s just something about a great opening line that really draws readers in. Especially when it, at first glance, doesn’t have anything to do with the book you’re about to read: “Imagine the worst smell you can think of, multiply it by rotten fish, and I promise you a turkey truck stinks worse.”

How could you not want to read more?

While you find out pretty quickly what this sentence has to do with The Amelia Six, it’s not just a great opening line. It also gives you a glimpse at the descriptive and intriguing writing you’re about to experience. The whole book is like that.

Millie is a shy girl with an affinity for solving Rubik’s Cube. She’s bright but doesn’t want to assert herself. She has a quick mind, and when given the chance, she shines. The quirks of her character are perfectly matched by the other girls, who each have something of their own to prove.

The Amelia Six is a caper that feels very cinematic. I could see the whole thing play out on a small or large screen or even on stage. Gray’s writing has a warmth and familiarity to it that immediately draws you in and almost pushes you into the action.

The Amelia Six is just the sort of book I would have loved as a child, and I know it would have inspired me to learn more about Earhart. This is one I’ll definitely be saving for my own daughter to read when she’s old enough.
Millie Ashford is ecstatic to be chosen as one of the six girls who gets to spend a night in Amelia Earhart's childhood home.  But the night's events change quickly when Amelia Earhart's famous goggles go missing, the very goggles that are suppose to be displayed at the Smithsonian.  Millie and the other girls, the Amelia Six, are thrust into the mystery of finding who stole the goggles and why.  Perfect for those readers who enjoy mysteries.
This is a fun mystery with lots of good information about Amelia Earhart.  I also LOVED the idea of getting sleep over in a historical house... sign me up!  The mystery was good with a lot of suspense.  Millie is the narrator for the story which starts off with her in a chicken truck with her father and a CPR dummy... none of this really connects to the story and gives it an odd start.  I also wished there was more development around Millie’s absent mother.  Part of Millie’s interest in Amelia Earhart is to connect with her pilot mother but this issue isn’t resolved in a satisfactory way.
Mystery meets history in this exciting, modern day adventure where friendship is golden and a dab of humor makes all the difference in the world.

Eleven-year-old Millie gets the chance of a lifetime—to spend the night with five other girls in her idol's childhood home. Excited and a little nervous, she meets the other girls, each who have their very own distinct personalities. While it'd be nice to make friends, Millie can't wait to see items which belonged to Amelia Earhart. But the thrill soon turns to frustration and suspicion as the original goggles go missing. A blizzard rages outside, making sure the thief can't leave. Now, the girls need to band together and discover who it is before worse things happen.

From the very first page, I knew I was going to like this read. Millie hits with pure original spunk in a quirky situation with her father. She's easy to relate to and a fun character to join up with, even if her interests hit a direction readers might not really know much about, Amelia Earhart. But this book melds the tidbits of history and information smoothly into the mystery, allowing young readers to learn some facts along the way.

I enjoyed the writing style quite a bit. It keeps a hint of humor, spunk and personality, while still allowing the tension needed to build a nice mystery. The clues are well placed, and it's not always clear where things will lead. As the story progresses, so does the dark threat, but at a level even more sensitive readers will feel comfortable with. I was afraid that having six characters might grow a bit confusing, but the author does a good job at keeping their personalities different enough to make it easy to recognize each one right away. I love the different quirks each one has and the way they add to the story. It makes for an easy read, which flies by at a pretty good pace.

To keep history close, the author offers a list of literature at the end of the book, in which readers can find more information. There's also a lean toward STEM, making this a nice read for homeschoolers or classrooms. Add the desire for fun and adventure along with a little girl power, and it's a read middle graders are sure to enjoy.