Cover Image: In Other Words, Love

In Other Words, Love

In Other Words Love is a cute second chance at love Story.  It's everything you would expect from Hallmark and more.  I really liked this book.  I recommend it.
Hallmark books always have the ability to make you happier & this one was no exception.  I loved the second chance romance aspect of In Other Words, Love. I will definitely keep an eye out for more books by Shirley Jump!
I started this book again after a while. First time was hard for me to get used to the third person POV. But honestly it was just what I needed right now after reading some disappointments. The amount of cuteness was perfect for me. Loved Kate and Trent’s characters. Grandma Wanda’s wisdom was awesome I mean “Patience, care and attention. Good things grow from that recipe.” So sweet and truthful. I enjoyed how they found they’re way back to each other after all that time and how they fell in love again. If you’re looking for a sweet HEA go read this!!

Thanks to Net-Galley and the Publisher for the copy of this book.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley and I am voluntarily reviewing it.

This was a good book and I did enjoy it. As it was an ARC, there were a few grammatical errors but I did not deduct the star for them.

These characters were supposed to be close to 40 but there were times that I felt they were much younger. This was the case I felt with Trent especially. His relationship with his father is such the case. He never tried to see his father's point of view in their disagreement. Sections where the characters looked back into their college days didn't paint Trent in a favorable light either in my opinion.

My heart bled for Kate on the other hand. She is a ghostwriter for "autobiographies". She needs an assignment or two, as royalties are down, to fix her apartment's leaky roof and her grandma's furnace. Out of the blue her agent calls. There is a request for a quick turn-around and the money offered is substantial. The drawback, it is to write her ex-boyfriend's book. He is the highly successful owner of an outdoor clothing manufacturing company. He dropped her out of the blue right after she graduated.

This book is written in a dual POV format. I always appreciate this as it helps me to identify with the characters. I really needed it here.

Again Trent posed a problem for me. I did enjoy the story and just because I had some problems with that character doesn't mean that others won't. Plus, I don't really expect to identify with characters all the time. There are some that take some time for them to grow on me. Trent was that character here. He did redeem himself as it was true that it does they weren't ready for "true love" at that early of age.

This is a clean second chance romance book. There is nothing that should offend anyone.
I was looking for a sweet HEA story and I know Hallmark stories always hit the spot for me. In Other Words, Love is the first book I have read by author Shirley Jump and I really enjoyed it. It was a well-written romance with a bit of angst, some adventures, fun and interesting dialogue and of course a happily ever after. Kate and Trent were college sweethearts, who went their own way, and meet up again 15 years later. It was totally unexpected that ghostwriter Kate would be hired to write Trent's book as he has run out of time to write it himself. As their second chance comes around, they are very serious with one another, but come around and remember their camaraderie, fun and feelings toward each other. I also love the way Kate took care of her grandma, it was so touching. I also liked how Trent and his father came around and changed the way they reacted to one another. All in all, this was a great romance with some side stories that are also filled with happiness. This is one I would love to see made into a movie.
I have read too many romance novels this month but I really enjoyed this one as I am a sucker for second chance romances. I really like this book mostly because as the story progresses the characters learn and grow and reconnect with people that they haven't seen nearly as much as they should. I was rooting for Kate and Trent from the very first page. This book is a slow burn romance so I would recommend getting comfortable for a long night. I liked how Kate encourage Trent to reconnect with his father as there was a rift because Trent grew a business away from the family business. I really didn't used to appreciate slow burn romances but boy do I do now as you get to see the characters reconnect and learn and grow from their break up in college. I will definitely be reading more from Shirley Jump in the future.

*Thank you to Netgalley for providing me a copy for an honest review.*
It is amazing how quickly 15 years apart can be erased, as evidenced by the story of Kate and Trent in Shirley Jump's 'In Other Words, Love.'  This is a charming story of college sweethearts who had great impact on each other, both for good and ill.  Familiarity and forgiveness turn this into a delightful love story of turning diminished expectations into happiness and success.  The family situations are difficult, believable and joyful.  I highly recommend the story and will look for more from this author.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.  The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
One of the sweetest romances I have read this year is In Other Words, Love by Shirley Jump. In this story, Kate and Trent get a second chance at love.

Kate and Trent have known each other for a long time but have gone their different ways. Trent has become a founder of a majour outdoor company, and Kate has followed her dream of writing. Except she is ghost writing for others. Kate is hired as Trent’s ghost writer, and they are both surprised when they realize they will be working with the other. The story follows them reconnecting while working on Trent’s book. I found there was more turmoil at the ending due to an outside force, compared to other Hallmark brand novels.

I bonded with the characters easily due to common interests such as writing, books, sea turtles, hiking, and gardening. I wanted to go charge on some adventures with Trent, as well as, curl up with one of Kate’s books. Their families are so sweet and welcoming as well.

If you are looking for a sweet read, perfect for summer, grab a copy of In Other Words, Love. I enjoyed this book so much, I did buy a finished copy for myself. I will be reading more by Shirley Jump in the future!

I received an electronic Advanced Read Copy from Hallmark Publishing through NetGalley. All opinions are 100% my own.
I really enjoyed this book for a lot of reasons, but the fact that it was about a writer really struck my fancy. Thank you to Netgalley and Hallmark Publishing for a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Kate and Trent are exes who find themselves suddenly working together. She’s a ghostwriter and he’s a businessman man, running an outdoor company. He’a promised his publisher a memoir draft but completing the draft is turning out to be a lot more difficult than he thought.

If only writing a book was as easy as hiking a mountain.

I’m sure you see where this story is going. Kate signs on to write Trent’s book for him. It’s a bit of a sticky situation at first. They broke up in college and now it’s fifteen years later. Needless to say, both of them have a different understanding of why the relationship didn’t work out.

I loved reading about Kate’s writing career. It was interesting to learn about ghostwriting. Even though she is a great writer, Kate has some insecurities about writing other people’s books instead of her own.

Meanwhile, her own manuscript is collecting dust in her desk at home.

Trent was a great leading man because even though he was a bit complicated what with dealing with his father’s disappointment with him for not coming home after college to take over the family business, he was realistic and not overly dramatic.

As the story developed I found myself getting attached to the characters. I really enjoyed the side characters of Kate’s grandma Wanda and her cat Charlie.

I love a supportive grandparent in romantic fiction! Haha.

I recommend this book if you like realistic fiction about exes looking into the past and seeing if a future might be possible.

It’s not easy, but it’s certainly true to life.
Sweet and charming and easy to read!  I quite loved it as a tidy little romance.  The character's backstory offered some depth and both leads were relatable.  Beautiful settings and a wonderful emphasis on family, courage, and taking risks.  A truly enjoyable light-hearted escape.
While we've been under a stay-at-home order I've been enjoying Hallmark movies, and I thought reading a Hallmark love story in book format would be even more fun. Unfortunately, though I typically like low-conflict and non-steamy romance novels, I didn't connect that strongly with this one. I had trouble feeling sympathy toward Kate the ghostwriter, which made it hard for me to invest in her relationship with Trent. In general, I felt distant from the two main characters, as though I were observing them from far away rather than witnessing their changing emotions up close. I never really got to the point where I was rooting for them to get together because I never got to know either one that well. Even the supporting characters, which are often my favorites,  fell flat for me, with the sole exception of Kate's agent, Angie, who felt real and did catch my interest each time she appeared. I loved the last Hallmark book I read ([book:The Game Changer: A Parkwood Mystery|51285522] by Jennifer Brown) and would happily read others, but this particular novel just did not engage me as I had hoped.
In Other Words, Love is a standalone title and gives us a second chance romance for Kate and Trent – through rather unusual circumstances.

I love the various types of Second Chance Romance tropes that are “out there”, and yes, there are several types. Yet, the ones I enjoy the most usually have a longer amount of time before that reunion, time for the characters to have grown a bit, experienced a bit more of life, and even a different outlook at times. And that is exactly what In Other Words, Love delivers.

While Kate and Trent didn’t survive their college romance with hearts intact, they did each move on to other life goals. Trent took his idea for a business and expanded it far beyond his family’s expectations. But along the way, he’s lost something as well. It was not only his business sense, but his love of being outdoors that lead to his success, and that has been left behind in his drive to build his business into the international company that it is today. Not only does he not have time to get out in the great outdoors he also has let the plans for writing a “how I became successful” book fall behind. He’s committed to doing this but now he’s going to need help – and that help will come in an unlikely person. One he knew well, and one who he hurt badly once upon a time.

Kate’s life hasn’t turned out quite as she’d anticipated. Oh, she’s happy, for the most part, she’s writing… but not books with her own name on the covers. She’s a professional ghostwriter now and those dreams of her own books have fallen to the side due to reality and financial considerations. A unique opportunity has just been offered at a very unexpected price, both financially and personally. She can ghostwrite Trent’s book but at what cost to a heart that remembers the pain caused by their breakup.

I liked Trent and Kate, they are believable characters who have indeed grown up, changed a bit, and perhaps can now find that happiness that eluded them back in college. The journey to rediscovering their love for each other is full of fun moments, times remembering and forgiving, and a trip that will help pull them back in the right direction.

In Other Words, Love drew me in, gave me characters to enjoy and a story to love. The writing is smooth and easy flowing, the plot interesting, and the characters realistic throughout the years together and apart. It’s always a treat for me to see people who fit but not perfect at the time come back together a bit wiser to discover that the fit was just fine all along, it simply wasn’t the right time.

*I received an e-ARC of this novel from Hallmark Publishing via NetGalley. That does not change what I think of this story. It is my choice to leave a review giving my personal opinion about this book.*
A fun heart warming second chance romance of college sweethearts. Trent is the CEO of a multi million corporation and has hired a ghost writer to write his memoir.  His ex girlfriend, Kate takes on the job with second thoughts but they both soon wonder why their relationship ended. Trent is very outdoorsy where Kate is very  book oriented, but soon Trent will see Kate in a new light.

This is a very sweet romance that I had a hard time putting down. Loved how they worked together to get this book done. Loved Kate, a wonderful relationship with her grandma. Kate also encouraged Trent to have a better relationship with his family.  This was a perfect read in these trying times.
Ghostwriters have the opportunity to write about the lives of a variety of interesting people but does not have the satisfaction of seeing their names on the cover of the resulting book. It’s a common practice. Katie Winslow has made a career of ghostwriting memoirs for a famous people who either don’t have the time or the skill to write their own. But when her agent gives her the name of the latest celebrity who needs a book written, she’s not sure she wants the job, even if she needs the money. It’s a lot of money and she has a lot of bills, so she agrees to the contract to write the story of her college sweetheart, Trent MacMillan, founder and president of Get Outdoors apparel. What she doesn’t agree to is dealing with her feelings for him.

The author has written a book about writing a book and done a great job of showing how much work is involved, particularly when writing about a real person. The tension between Katie and Trent is at the center of the story, but other characters, particularly Katie’s grandmother and Trent’s father add substance to the story. After reading this book, I know I don’t have what it takes to be a writer, but it was interesting following Katie’s process, particularly while she was dealing with her feelings for Trent.

I received a copy of the book from the publisher and NetGalley, but the opinion is my own.
3.5 Stars: Rounded

There are times when all you want is a guarantee: knowing that while the story may not break new ground in incredible ways, you’re searching for that escape and bit of distraction, particularly now.  When we meet Kate, she’s needing this opportunity and the money it will bring, far more than she wants the job. Because it involves Trent, the guy who dumped her in college and went on to become well-known and successful – successful enough that he needs a ghostwriter to pen his autobiography. But – needs must and she’s going to get paid so…..

Trent has worked hard since university and built a busy outdoors-brand, even if he’s got no time to enjoy it by actually BEING outdoors.  But his book is due, his assistant has been on him to make a choice for a ghostwriter since they both know there is no time he could finagle out of his schedule, and well, Kate was always determined and a hard-worker. Surely their past won’t affect the present, particularly with what he’s willing to pay….

What I wanted from grabbing a title from Hallmark is exactly what I got here – a bit of conflict that was easily resolved, a clear purpose and point to the ‘end’ of them being brought together, a bit of a spark that lingered or was never quite extinguished – and I got all of that in what was sweet, if not particularly revolutionary. But I didn’t want that – I wanted easy, quick reading, smile giving happy ever after (or even just for now) options – and this delivered perfectly.  A great beach / escape read, perfect for a quiet few hours away from the stress of everyday life.

I received an eArc copy of the title from the publisher via NetGalley for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review: all conclusions are my own responsibility.

Review first appeared at   I am, Indeed
Another very cute Hallmark romance. College sweethearts Kate and Trent broke up years ago, they are reunited when Kate is hired to ghostwrite Trents autobiography. Time will tell if the book is closed on their love story.
This was a cute, down to earth, second chance romance. It was exactly like reading a Hallmark movie, one you could curl up with on a rainy day and just enjoy. The story was one we've all heard before, but I really enjoyed the writing style. And while I didn't 100% believe the romance between the characters, it was still fun to cheer them on from the sidelines as they rushed towards the end.

I found myself really relating to Kate and wanting nothing for her but the best. I was happy with how she began to trust herself and then Trent. I especially enjoyed her relationship with her grandmother, and her dedication to her craft.

It's a sweet, not too sexy sort of story I'd recommend for my mother (I gave her my copy to read, even) and I would recommend this book.

Thanks to netGalley and the publishers for an advanced readers copy.
Oh, I absolutely loved it! The characters were truly amazing and relatable. And, the most important thing, there was a combination of indoor-sy and outdoor-sy person (I don't know if that's even a word).

Kate's a person who longs to publish a book in her own name except for ghost writing for famous personalities. Whereas, Trent being the CEO of his company along with a person who loves to be outdoors is juggling these aspects of his life. And did I mention, it's a second chance romance? Because that makes it all the more interesting.

I liked the way the story was narrated and the plot was definitely intriguing.
I received an eARC of In Other Words, Love by Shirley Jump from Hallmark Publishing and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

I give this book 5 stars! In Other Words, Love by Shirley Jump is a clean, sweet, and enjoyable read. The characters are great and the story is a moving second chance romance. I recommend this book!
I enjoyed this “second chance at love” story.  I especially liked Kate.  She’s a sweet, talented, and funny girl.  I loved her devotion to her grandmother, who gives her some wise advice as they do some gardening together.  But Kate’s in a place in her life where she feels stuck in her writing career and her personal life revolves around taking care of her cat.  Then she gets the opportunity of a lifetime...and has a tough  choice to make.

I loved the sparks and the tension between Trent and Kate as she begins to ghostwrite his autobiography.  As they talk about common memories, Trent begins to see his past  in a new light and wonders if Kate might have a place in his future.  This story is filled with sweet, and sometimes funny,  moments as Trent and Kate realize that she’s not only writing Trent’s life story, they are together writing their own new love story. This is a clean, sweet romance that will touch your heart and make. you smile.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.