Cover Image: One in Three

One in Three

This is a story that I could not put down. When I had to do something mundane, like make dinner or clean up, I would listen, when I could sit down, I would read. This story opens with the death of Andrew at a family party, the anniversary of his ex-in-laws. The story then goes back seven weeks before the party and through Louise and Caz, we learn the family's story, or do we. Each of the wives has their own version of the story and the reader has to figure out who is telling the truth, if either of them is. These POVs are interspersed with police interviews with other people who were at the anniversary party. This is a story of a woman scorned, a family torn apart by infidelity, unrequited love, secrets, lies and more. As the final twist was revealed, my jaw dropped. I definitely recommend this psychological thriller to anyone who enjoys this genre.
★★★★★ 4.5 stars (rounded up)

One in three marriages end in divorce. This one ends in murder.

My first book by Tess Stimson was "Picture of Innocence" , published in the US as "A Mother's Secret", and I totally loved that book and thought it would be a tough one to beat...but ONE IN THREE comes pretty damn close! Oh. My. Gosh! What a twisted ride this was! I was hooked from the very first page in this twisted but addictive conflict between Louise and Caz that delivered shock after shock until the very end. Just WOW!

Introducing the cast of characters, we have:

Andrew, the husband
Caz, the current young wife
Louise, the ex-wife that can't quite move on.

All three will attend a family celebration but only two will survive.

The opening scenes are explosive with the murder of the charismatic hubby, Andrew Page, having been stabbed to death with both his wife Caz and his ex-wife Louise in a tussle beside the body covered in his blood. But the question remains - which one killed him? And why?

The story then rewinds to seven weeks before that fateful night, when all hell breaks loose when Louise discovers that her mother Celia has invited her ex-husband Andrew and his trophy wife Caz to their 50th wedding anniversary party to take place on the beautiful and secluded Burgh Island in Devon. How can Louise be expected to move on if her mother continues to include Andrew in their lives, despite the fact he left them to shack up with his mistress? Louise is livid as is her doctor sister-in-law Min, who married to Louise's brother Luke. Why would Celia even invite them knowing how it rip her daughter's heart out just seeing them together? But no amount of cajoling from Louise, Min or even Celia's husband Brian would make Celia change her mind. She loves Andrew as if he were her own son and like it or not he is still a part of the family, given that he fathered Louise's two children, Bella and Tolly.

Louise has never really gotten over Andrew leaving her for a younger model, his mistress no less with whom he was cheating on her throughout the last year of their marriage. But when Louise fell pregnant with Tolly, she thought they had a chance...and so he stayed. And they were happy. But then he left her one week after their son was born straight into Caz's arms, marrying her as soon as the divorce was final. That was four years ago. And yet still Louise holds on to the hope that he will come back to them.

A TV newsreader, Andrew is charismatic and charming, but he was not husband of the year. Despite walking out on Louise a week after Tolly's birth, she would always be the woman he loved and he made no secret of the fact that as his second wife Caz would therefore be second choice and second place - a consolation prize to the one he really wanted. Sharing children with Louise has kept him more involved with them than Caz is comfortable with, even after the birth of their son Kit.

And then the invitation arrives. Caz doesn't want to go and Louise definitely doesn't want either of them there. But Andrew insists the two women bury the hatchet...preferably not in each other's backs.

And so we watch as both women set out to destroy the other...

The events leading up to the party are told through the alternating narratives of Louise and Caz, both women are unreliable narrators, making it difficult to work out just who is telling the truth. Which one of them is lying...or is it neither of them? There is the odd chapter from sister in law Min's perspective as she outlays her growing worry over Louise and her mental health, leading readers to wonder just how much truth is there to Louise's narrative? The clever insertion of excerpts of police interviews in the wake of Andrew's death with various witnesses and family members only adds to the growing tension as bit by bit clues are gradually revealed. What exactly was going on? And which one of them is lying?

I have to say, I was totally Team Louise and sympathised with her far more than Caz who knew what she was doing when she got involved with Andrew. I've no sympathy for a woman who went in knowing full well that he was married and laid her claim on him anyway and yet expected sympathy and understanding when he kept running back to wife #1! What did she expect? She made her bed...as her mother wisely told her. The same mother she secreted away in a rambling council-run care home in Dagenham in Essex away from the perfect life she had built for herself. Caz had secrets, of that I was sure, and I'd no doubt they told a different tale than the one she portrayed to everyone else. I didn't trust her from the beginning...

Louise, however, I did sympathise with. To love someone so completely that you envision growing old together, with your grandchildren running around you someday. And then in the blink of an eye, it's over. He has left you for a younger trophy wife and your world falls apart. I could see Louise struggling with trying to move on, and she did make an effort to do so, but her mother constantly shoving Andrew in her face made it difficult. How was she to move on if her mother kept inviting him over? Yes, they shared children together but that should have been the extent of their involvement with one another. Of course, Louise wasn't perfect. But her war with Caz began out of one woman's jealousy of the other...until it culminated into who was going to one up the other. Despite this, my loyalty remained with Louise throughout.

The children are always the ones caught in the crossfire. Louise and Andrew failed to see the struggles going on with their 16 year old daughter but Caz did. But did that make her a good mother...or was it an opportunity she saw to get at Louise? Nothing these parents did benefited their children as they were caught up in their hate-fuelled war with one another with Andrew trying to calm the waters between the warring women. But when Louise did see Bella's pain, she halted any further sparring with Caz. Her daughter was more important. But Caz? She happily left her son in London with the neighbour with no further thought of him while she sat in their Brighton house fuming at Andrew being with Louise...and lying about it! Is she surprised? Once a cheater, always a cheater. But did her son's wellbeing not come first? No. In fact he didn't even factor in as she drew her final card to play against Louise.

While Andrew tries to diffuse the animosity between the two women and placate them...is he as blameless as he seems? Both women acted abhorrently at times, but it was Caz I found to be the most selfish. And yet she was surprised by her husband's behaviour. If a man cheats on one wife with another, chances are he will cheat on you too. Did Caz really think she was THAT special that he wouldn't stray from her?

ONE IN THREE is an addictive fast paced thriller that will have you questioning the reliability of each narrative. Neither woman is innocent but are they guilty of murder? And if so, which one? Who to believe?

The characters are well-developed and there are times you love to hate them as well as sympathise with them. I cannot imagine what Louise's mother was thinking forcing her daughter's ex-husband and his new trophy wife on her when her loyalty should have been with her daughter! And while Andrew appeared to be the good guy caught in the middle, was he really? Or was this battle a war of his own making? The only thing I would have loved to see, and didn't, would be a showdown with Caz's mother revealing everything to all.

I could rave about this book all day though it would be difficult not to reveal a spoiler or two. But it is THAT good! I despaired when I had to put the book down to go to sleep and at any time I was interrupted. I simply couldn't put it down! I relished every gory detail and each drama played out by one or the other woman and couldn't wait to see what was coming next. I began to suspect who was the murderer but even then it was too easy...until I grasped another suspect. Was I right? In the end, I was but...it felt a little flat when the motive was revealed...even if the opportunity was slightly unbelievable. There were three I would happily have seen as the murderer, and although one of them was, I would have been far happier if the one of the others had been. Not for any other reason than because it would have been a shocking twist that you would not see coming.

I will say that unfortunately there is a little animal abuse featured, though it wasn't gory or detailed it was enough to dampen the story a little. And for this reason I have deducted half a star. I wish authors would stop with the animal mutilation or abuse or graphic death of an animal. It is not needed and puts off a lot of readers. Had it been a dog, I would have been weeping buckets and probably would have found it difficult to continue.

Overall, though, ONE IN THREE is a brilliant domestic thriller that will leave you guessing right up to the end. Perfect for fans of Sue Watson, Shalini Boland, K.L. Slater and Lisa Jewell.

I would like to thank #TessStimson, #Netgalley and #AvonBooks for an ARC of #OneInThree in exchange for an honest review.
Two wives but only one guavas who is killed. A gripping story told by both wives, but who killed Andrew. Absolutely loved this one. Very addictive reading.
This is a crazy thriller! Each chapter goes back in forth between the ex wife and with his current wife. Who killed Andrew is the question everyone is asking!!!
I was able to read this book thanks to NetGalley. I really enjoyed the story and it was a quick paced thriller which are my favorite! I will be recommending it to family and friends and will be looking for more from this author in the future. Thanks again for the opportunity to read this book.
Thank you to Netgalley for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Very well written domestic thriller! The dynamic between Louise and Caz kept my on the edge of my seat and I couldn't wait to learn what happened next.
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for allowing me to read this ARC.
A well written domestic thriller. Lots of twists and turns that kept me guessing until the very end.
I really enjoyed this book. It was very hard to put down.
I would like to thank Avon books and Netgalley for allowing me to read this book.

I was immediately attracted by the pretty cover of this book where we see a couple hugging.

We find Andrew who left Louise to start a new family four years ago. Louise had no choice but to let him. Except that she still loves Andrew and she does not intend to let his new wife live the life she was supposed to live with him. Louise is going to do some research on the famous Caz and discover a lot of things about Andrew at the same time. And one night during a family celebration Andrew is murdered and Caz and Louise find themselves in front of his body.

A book read in one afternoon so much I was hooked to the story so gripping, captivating, addictive, full of suspense and twists with endearing characters.
Brilliant story

You can’t actually which of the wives is a loony until near the end

Caught in the middle is andrew who finds himself murdered at a family party

Keeps you quessing
Fantastic book! Great storyline! Complex characters! Quick and enjoyable read. Can't wait to read more by Tess Stimson
This was a fast-paced, fun read. I was immediately pulled into the storyline and the author kept my attention throughout.
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A compelling read from this very talented author. Gripping, shocking and totally engrossing,  and easy to read. Recommended.
Oh my! I raced through this book!! Love love loved it. All of Tess Stimson's books are a joy to read THANK YOU!!!!
My goodness, this a really twisty one!It starts off with a really explosive prologue, it really grabs your attention right from the start. Then it moves back in time to the events leading up to the murder.

It’s told from both Louise and Caz’s points of view, and occasionally Min, Louise’s sister-in-law. I really had no idea who the killer might be.

I liked Louise right from the start, and got to like Caz too as time went on, but each time we get some new information on them, the doubts grow.

There are snippets of the police interviews interspersed here and there, and I found these fascinating.

This book is totally addictive and kept me reading late into the night. It’s really hard to put down.When the ending comes, it’s not one you’ll see coming.

Dark and suspenseful, this is a superb psychological thriller. A total must-read
This was a great read, enjoyed it thoroughly, was hooked from the first page, loads of twists and turns, would recommend it x
One in Three by Tess Stimson is an excellent psychological thriller novel. Two women are fighting tooth-over-nail over the same man until they realize that he is not a good person to be with, and things take an unexpected turn. At a family event, he is found dead, and both the women are suspected of being the murderer. Basically, a cat-and-mouse race turned into a whodunnit!

The twists and turns in the story kept me hooked throughout. That last twist was like icing on the cake, thereby giving the whole affair a satisfactory end. A definite page turner.

Thanks to the author and the publisher for the ARC.

Verdict: Recommended.
Louise is divorced from her husband, Andrew.   He has gone on with his life and eventually married "the other woman", Caz.

They are still in competition with each other .. neither of them giving up the man they both love.  Louise is looking onto Caz' past .. she just 'knows' there's something there.  Up until now, the two women have maintained a civil relationship, but that is find changing.

They have both discovered more about the man they both married.

Things come to a head when Andrew is found dead at a family party.  Both women are standing  over his body.

It’s always the wife. But which one?

Well-written, it's suspenseful and full of twists and turns.  There may some triggers for some .. the author has addressed the subjects of child abuse and infidelity with a light hand.  The characters are solidly drawn into the midst of this most dysfunctional family.  The voices of the characters are revealed chapter by chapter. The ending was unexpected.

Many thanks to the author / Harper 360 - Avon / Avon Books UK / Netgalley for the digital copy of this psychological thriller.  Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
This was my first book by Tess Stimson and what a really great read it was!

Stimson is a terrific storyteller, providing her reader with a story full of suspense and a rollercoaster of twists and turns. She delicately broaches some difficult subject matters, with sensitivity, with a murder thrown into the mix.

I will be looking to read books by her again, in the future.

I’d highly recommend this book.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this ARC for an honest and unbiased review.
This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and found myself second guessing every thought I had continuously.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
Okay. I didn't think the book would be this good. I read it in one sitting because it got me hooked from the word go. A great suspense thriller.