Cover Image: The Space Between Worlds

The Space Between Worlds

"It is only one world in infinite universes where this impossible happiness exists, but that is what makes it so valuable."

This was, in short, a very good book. I'll preface my review by saying that the multiverse is one of my FAVORITE topics in science fiction, and The Space Between Worlds was a fascinating and unique application of the idea. Johnson weaves together believable science, a Mad-Max esque dystopian society on the fringes of  an equally dystopian utopia, and poignant commentary on class  and race to create a unique and thoroughly breathtaking tale. While the world-building was also great, one of the best parts was that this, like most of my favorite science fiction, was firmly grounded in humanity. This novel explored notions of the multiverse but also meditated on topics of psychology and philosophy. It asked questions such as: what causes people to act as they do? Is there such thing as an "ideal" version of ourselves? Are we as people capable of change, or are we so firmly grounded in our ways as to be intractable? And all this without being too-heavy handed.

Furthermore, Cara was a remarkable protagonist with the kind of strong, singular voice I often fail to see in contemporary sci-fi. I also thought her romance with Dell was lovely.  I would strongly recommend this to anyone looking for a refreshing, heartfelt science fiction story that will stay with you long after the final page.
THE SPACE BETWEEN WORLDS has almost everything a good science fiction tale needs:  great quotes from physicists and philosophers to tickle our imaginations as we begin sections, compelling characters that dazzle and charm and a backstory that engages;  but somehow it just doesn’t quite pull everything together.  Author Micaiah Johnson has crafted an impressive novel and one that kept me engaged for the most part.  I just kept wondering why the tale felt repetitive when it didn’t need to;  when there was so much available to wow me further.  Even when there were great twists in the story, they were repeated too often to keep them fresh.  Perhaps this book would do better with a younger audience, there’s nothing here to prevent young adults from adoring this book.  For SF readers, it was a tad repetitive and a bit too long.  But these are minor complaints for a book that is worth reading.  I received my copy from the publisher through NetGalley.
I love science fiction about cross-dimensional travel and this is a great one. I've always been fascinated by the concept of the multi-verse and of meeting your Doppelgänger on another world.  This book explores the idea of traveling to other versions of the world where things have turned out differently.  While it is not easy to survive a trip to a world where you already exist in this book, it does happen. The storyline is full of twists that will keep you guessing.
I absolutely adored this book. I haven’t felt like reading lately and this book hooked me right from the start. I enjoyed the whole thing.
The Space Between Worlds is a mystery, a love story, a world-building science fiction story that succeeds at all three.  The protagonist works at a unique job that allows her to experience virtually unlimited versions of her own world with the resulting interaction between those worlds affecting everyone on her “own” world. The existence of multiple versions of herself and everyone she interacts with provides multiple interlacing stories that are ably kept clear and intriguingly revealed by a masterful story teller.  The relationships created and the world moving events of this story beg a sequel - al least one. There are multiple story lines that are left open and the appetite for their continuation is wetted.
this is a unique, beautifully crafted story. i was immersed almost instantly and grew to love this story so much. i will reccomend this to all my friends, because this is not one to miss
Wow! Micaiah Johnson has written a book with so much depth and constantly changing enigma that  it was hard to put down.
It made me think of the many facets of a person, each singled out to be a different version of themselves. Ever thought that with just one different choice, or change in circumstances you might be a different person? Or heard the old adage, "But for the grace of God, there go I?" That's what I thought of while reading "The Space Between Worlds".  Cara is sent to do a job and doing that job forces her to come in contact with different versions of people she's either known and loved, or known and feared. The hard part is that on most of the worlds she visits she's already died, otherwise she couldn't visit those worlds, she couldn't go into the space between worlds if there was a version of her still living...or could she? And what would be the consequences if she did?  She has to come to terms with those different versions of people she knew on her own world and choose how to either trust them, or escape from them, learn when to let go and when to hold on.
This is easily the best book I've read so far this year and it will stick with me for quite some time.
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

I wasn't really sure what to expect when delving into this book, but I can say I was pleasantly surprised!

Micaiah Johnson's The Space Between Worlds is a beautifully written time traveling-style science fiction novel. The story follows Cara, who is as a traverser (similar to a time traveler) of 382 alternate worlds. When an alternative version of Cara is found murdered, the story lifts off on an emotional roller coaster journey about identity, purpose, privilege, and healing.

The worldbuilding in this book is incredibly interesting as it covers parallel universes and doppelgängers. We also get a look at the difference in class and rank within Wiley City. People either live in the metropolis, wealthy environment of Wiley City, or people live in the rough, dangerous environment of Ashtown, which gives of a Mad Max vibe.

Johnson's writing style in this novel is unique and hard hitting as the story combines science fiction with personal/family/intimate relationship dynamics, and all themes take center stage without overshadowing one another. I felt in some parts the writing moved so fast with so many different alternates of characters that I had to pause and try to remember which version of a character was on what earth and what they did there compared to another earth and etc. I feel giving this book a reread will allow me to get more familiar with the worlds and the characters so that the twists and turns will become more enjoyable.

All in all, Johnson crafted a wonderful universe and story with meaningful themes that just all weave together perfectly.
This book immersed me in so many different worlds all at once so beautifully. The story pieced together perfectly. And the romance had ME pining for more. A novel truly out of this world.
Cara is a cross-dimensional traveler who visits worlds where her parallel selves are no more - dead from a life that could have easily taken her. She is a survivor with a big enough heart that when things start to turn south, she fights. She carries around a guilt for surviving when her alternate selves have not, but knows that the world she lives in is cruel and uncaring and it is every person for themselves. The author gives us an emotional four parts in this book, each filled with secrets, adventures, and a heavy plot that leaves you aching until the end.

This novel delves deep in identity, privilege and belonging. It's a world where you take any opportunity thrown your way; and for Cara, she doesn't hesitate to leave her previous life not for a second. If it means keeping secrets from her employers and kind-of-crush, Dell, then it's a risk she's more than willing to take. She finds that she is very good at her job, and it's easy to go with the flow of it. We witness the struggles Cara faces with her survival when her other, alternate selves, have not. But in a cruel world where her people are looked down on, and given little to no opportunity to strive, she carries herself with her head held high and knows that one wrong move could have all if it crumbling down.

I personally had no idea where this book was going, but it strung me up and took me for one wild ride. Oh boy, I had no idea I was going to feel like this when I finished. It was a stunning debut, and though the premise seems like it would lean heavily into sci-fi, I found that it wasn't and I didn't even mind. I was more interested in the characters and the world-building - which, absolutely stunning. We get a diverse world, with diverse characters, and a build-up that did not disappoint.

Looking for a book filled with political intrigue, deception, incredible world-building and characters with an engrossing story? This is for you.

CW: abuse, torture, gore

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for the advanced copy.
The perfect book for fans who enjoy travel to parallel universes. It has the right mix of acceptance, quest for social justice, and excitement. A story of hope
This was a tightly woven plot with consistently held rules. The book is divided into four parts, and I was a little worried at each transition that the story would fall apart. But M. Johnson handled each transition with style and continuity. As new elements were added it just enriched the character and story as a whole.

I read some other reviews that highlighted the race and sexuality themes in this book. But to me these were side issues, the story was so engrossing as the reader got wrapped up in the plurality of existence and just what existence means for any one individual. It is refreshing to have these themes interwoven is such a way that they are an integral part of the story, and not just a tool to use to beat over the heads of old white guys in an effort to drum up guilt. Very refreshing indeed. This book deserves a broad audience for readers of this genre.

A complimentary copy of this book was provided by the publisher for the purpose of review at Netgalley.com .A review was also posted at:
I had to grab this book, the premise was too intriguing: profiting from your own death? And before I started to read, I was wondering how I would feel about me dying albeit in alternate dimensions and I didn't like the idea at all I guess I really like me (hopefully I am a good person in all the other dimensions as well)

So now onto Cara our protagonist, I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about her but she is scrappy, she comes from the school of hard knocks and she isn't polished, she isn't completely rough around the edges. Interdimensional travel is limited to places where a person is not alive. Because the Cara's suck at staying alive, there are only a few Cara's left in all the dimensions. This means our Cara gets to travel through dimensions and gets paid very well and has a cushy life in her dimension.

The following is not a spoiler one of the remaining Cara's dies here is my problem one of the Cara's dies and it is considered foul play, really, the Cara's can't stay alive and now we are saying suspicious? But ok, fine it is suspicious, I was surprised that Cara cared, I was expecting Cara to be like YES! another me dead, make it rain so more money on me.

And I can't say the rest because it is a spoiler and you have to read it for yourself. It was an enjoyable book, it made me think. of me and all my alternates, and I hope you and your you's are doing well. This book will be out in August and I look forward to discussing it with other people.
The Space Between Worlds was a book that I expected to enjoy as it looked at the multiverse and how parallel universes could exist. There is little to no real science to support the idea but that is the basis of science fiction—possible or alternate futures. I found the writing confusing and the story hard to follow.  It was far more fantasy than science fiction as there seemed little to believe might be true.  Character development was interesting as was the idea that a person could not exist simultaneously in different realities in a multiverse reality.  It seemed that the author had maintained some connections across the multiverses and explored a possibility if they existed how individuals in one might be different in another.  Cara, the protagonist, was different in different worlds or at least somewhat different.  Could an individual from a different Earth (referred to by numbers) than Earth Zero – the “original" one pull off a switch into another Earth?  Would it be like identical twins switching places?  This is one of the ideas explored.

I’m sure some readers would like or even love this book and storyline, but alas, that was not for me.  I was reading a free review copy but if I had actually purchased this book, I would have been very upset at anything over $0.25 that I might have paid. Just not my cup of tea and I do love and voraciously read science fiction. My rating of 3 is based on the fact that it was not bad enough for me to quit reading and also that I feel some might like it.
I really enjoyed this book!  The science seems too weak at first, but once you get past that it becomes a story about some really interesting people.  This is an exploration of what it will be like when the wealthy live in huge, environmentally managed, building/cities, with the poor people living in anarchy right outside the walls.  It's not hard to imagine this happening in our near future.  This book touches on race divide, intellectual divide, culture divide, loving and leaving an abusive relationship, and overcoming enormous obstacles.  The characters are really well told, deeply drawn, having each their own dilemmas and multifaceted intentions.  The careful, skillful look into the tender, loving aspects of a cruel dictator is so interesting.  Even the unrelenting disdain in the portrayal of the mother that let her child die hundreds of times seems deserved, that some things are, in fact, unforgivable.  Well worth reading, I will watch for more from this author!
Excellent writing! Love the  story concept of travelling between worlds! I was drawn into this story right away. I was mesmerized  by the story.
An outsider who can travel between worlds discovers a secret that threatens her new home and her fragile place in it, in a stunning sci-fi debut that’s both a cross-dimensional adventure and a powerful examination of identity, privilege, and belonging.

Multiverse travel is finally possible, but there’s just one catch: No one can visit a world where their doppelganger is alive. Enter Cara, whose parallel selves happen to be exceptionally good at dying—from disease, turf wars, murder, or vendettas they couldn’t outrun. Cara’s life has been cut short on 372 worlds in total.

On Earth one- this Earth, however, Cara has survived. Identified as a perfect candidate for multiverse travel, Cara is plucked from the poverty and hopelessness of the wastelands. Now she has a nice apartment on the lower levels of the wealthy and walled-off Wiley City. She works—and shamelessly flirts—with her enticing yet aloof handler, Dell, as the two women collect off-world data for the Eldridge Institute.
Cara has a secret, one that her handler, Dell or the Eldridge Institute can never know if she wants to not just keep the new life she is building but to live.
But trouble finds Cara when one of her eight remaining doppelgängers dies under mysterious circumstances, plunging her into a new world with an old secret. What she discovers will connect her past and her future in ways she never would have imagined possible—and reveal her own role in a plot that endangers not just her world, but the entire multiverse.

This is extremely well written, and the world-building is spot on, believable. I thoroughly enjoyed following Cara and rooting for her all the way!

I received this book free from Random House Publishing Group-Ballentine and Netgalley for my honest, unbiased review.

#TheSpaceBetweenWorlds #NetGalley#LGBT#Positivelesbiancharacters#FemaleHeroes
It was really well written and interesting, it just wasn’t my cup of tea unfortunately....................
I enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down. The main character is somewhat of an antihero, likes to break the rules and play fast and loose.  Given her very unique life she has an interesting view on the worlds she visits.  The book was fun sci-fi, vividly written, fast-paced and full of intrigue.  If you like sci-fi and the multiverse theory I think you'll enjoy this interesting take on visiting parallel worlds.

Please note, I received a copy of this book from NetGalley for review, but that did not impact my rating or opinion of the book.
This book was very interesting, I love how there are many other dimensions instead of just one. I really liked the characters.