Cover Image: The Space Between Worlds

The Space Between Worlds

This has got to be one of my favorite books I’ve ever read. Cara, the protagonist, was so real and relatable, I connected immediately with her. The story blew my mind and I literally had to put the book down a few times to think hard about how the multiverses worked. I’m so impressed with this storyline and the slow burn f/f romance was EVERYTHING I needed right now. My heart? Exploded. And that ending? Literally the most satisfying ending I think I’ve ever read. Micaiah Johnson is absolutely an auto-buy author for me now and I’ve requested the bookstore I work at to buy this one- will definitely be hand selling this one for years.
A world in which someone can travel to any universe they dont exist in. Luckily Cara dies a lot. This premise in itself was intriguing but the execution was exquisite. With a high concept story and fully realized characters add this to your list asap.
[a transcript of a video i need to refilm but I still want y’all to know my many many thoughts]

intro
“Why have I survived? Because I am a creature more devious than all the other mes put together. Because I saw myself bleeding out and instead of checking for a pulse, I began collecting her things. I survive the desert like a coyote survives, like all tricksters do.”

cover designer: jo myler
Before we get into the review, I received an e-arc from the publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own.

In this video, I will be discussing: homophobia, racism, classism, physical abuse, warfare, and murder. If you want more information about how these triggers apply to the book itself, please DM on twitter or ask below. I’ll give you as much detail as I can or as much as you want.

This video will contain spoilers for the Space Between Worlds.

The Space Between Worlds was one of my most anticipated books of 2020. I heard about it from Charlotte from tealeafreads & readsrainbow towards the beginning of the year, and I’ve been waiting to read it since. It’s about a world while travel between alternate universes is possible. But only if the person is dead in the world they want to travel to. Cara is dead in all but 7 of the over 300 worlds that they can access, and she is one of the most prolific travelers.  After another one of her doppelgangers is killed, she uncovers a plot that threatens herself and the multiverse as a whole.

summary
Early on, we learn that Cara, or at least the Cara we follow, is not the Cara of Earth-Zero and that Cara has been dead for the last six years. Instead she is Caralee from Earth 22. The Cara we follow is harder and less sheltered than the Cara of Earth 0—named Caramenta. While Caramenta lived in the Rurals, moved there after her mother married a pastor, and lived a life that, while not easy, gave her less callouses and scars than Caralee—who I’ll be calling Cara from now on and Earth 0 Caramenta.

Both Caras grew up in Ashetown, which is the land outside Wiley City’s wall, and with rough early lives. The key point of divergence is that Caramenta’s mother married a widowed pastor and merged their families while Cara’s mother died young, leaving Cara to survive on her own. Cara eventually got involved with Nik Nik, the leader of Ashetown, and suffered abuse at his hands—always going back until Caramenta, on her first traveling mission, is sent to her world and killed, and Cara decides to take her place.

At the start of the book, there are 8 versions of Cara still alive but another one is murdered, unlocking another world for Cara to travel to. This leads to another traveler, Starla Saeed, being let go from the company, and Cara being assigned the world. We also see Cara’s handler, Dell. Cara flirts with her, and continues to do so for the rest of the book and assumes that Dell’s discomfort with her, despite their mutual attraction being evident, is due to classism.

Before she travels to the new world, she visits Caramenta’s home to take part in a religious ceremony. We see just how much she cares about Caramenta’s family, especially her younger step-sister, Esther, who she would give the world for.

As soon as she returns, she is sent to the new world but something goes wrong—namely the Cara of that world, named Nelline, is still alive. Cara is injured gravely and it’s a miracle she even survived as no one else has ever survived a jump into a universe where their dop is still alive. She is nursed back to health by the Earth 175 version of Nik Nik. After that, she is quickly pulled into a conspiracy to take down the leader of that universe’s Ashetown—Nik Nik’s older brother, Adra, who is assumed to be dead in Earth 0 (and most worlds).

I won’t get into the specifics of it but their plan works. Most importantly, Cara learns that Adra is the Earth 22 version of Adam Bosch, the man who invented the technology to travel worlds, and uses that information to murder Adra, tricking him into travelling to Earth 0 with her which kills him. Nelline also tries to come, which ends up killing her as well.

Back on Earth 0, Cara gives Nelline a funeral, attended by Esther and Dell. It is then that Esher reveals to Cara that she has always known that Cara was not Caramenta, given that Cara has tattoos, which Esther knows Caramenta never had. The two end up talking and grow closer. It is also revealed that Caramenta hated Dell, going so far as to nearly file a complaint against her.

Adam Bosch recruits Cara to Maintenance, his group of interdimensional assassins and reveals that he has been killing off anyone in other universes close to figuring out how to travel between the worlds, including other versions of himself. He also tells her that he has had an eye on her for a while, and not Caramenta but Caralee, going so far to arrange Caramenta’s death in order to lure Cara to Earth 0.

Cara doesn’t give him an answer right away and goes to her mentor, Jean, for advice. Jean admits he knew about the program, used to be a part of it, and knew about Bosch’s interest in Cara for the program.

Before Cara gives her answer, before she even decides what to do, Bosch announces a new program—a interdimensional tourism program where five people a year will get to visit another world. However, she quickly comes to the conclusion that he intends to do this by killing off their dops in the worlds they are going to visit. And with that, she decides that she is going to risk it all and take Adam Bosch down.

Before she begins her plan, Dell confronts Cara. Earlier on, Dell lost one of the earnings her grandmother gave her, and Cara gave her one of the earrings that she took from a dop of Dell’s that she slept with. Dell confronts her about this, and reveals that she kissed Caramenta—who at that point she still thinks is Cara—and Cara threatened to report her to HR and called her a devil. During this, Cara slips up and refers to Caramenta in the 3rd person and confesses to Dell that she is not from Earth 0.

First she calls the police on him, which leads only to the brutal torture and murder of Jean—Bosch thinking it might be him that reported them but knowing that if it was Cara, Jean’s murder would get in line. Instead, it only made her more adamant in taking him down.

She teams up with the Nik Nik of Earth Zero and orchestrates a way to delay the tourism program without jeopardizing Traveling as a whole by destroying the pods used to Travel. Before the day comes, they sneak into a party at Bosch’s house. Cara goes to his room and finds the files he has on her, and, while she’s there, puts poison into the eyedrops he has to take every four hours because of the ocular implants he got.

At the party, as she is leaving, she runs into Dell and Dell, assuming she is with the runners from Ashtown against her free will, and follows them, trying to fight the runner for Cara’s honor. Later, the two hook up. What is a hopeful start to a relationship for Dell is a melancholic end for Cara, who has accepted her inevitable death when she tries to take down Bosch.

She is caught the day they destroy the pods. Bosch claims that he has worked with Nik Nik, that the runners he sent to destroy the pods aren’t actually going to do it. The ways he talks and the things he says he dead leads Cara to believe that he did just the opposite and pissed his brother off more. Moments later, an explosion is felt throughout the building, proving her right. She then reveals that she poisoned the eyedrops, says that he will not die right away but he will have a terminal illness for the rest of his life, starting with the slow loss of his sight. This forces him to teach other people the technology behind Traveling or become lost to the pages of a history textbook.

He calls Maintence in to murder her. However, Dell comes in and says that Cara has violated a number of rules, leading to her termination and deportation from Wiley City—saving her life. She goes back to Ashetown and makes a life for herself in the place she swore never to return. Later she runs into Dell and the two start a relationship and a life together, living out their days on the edge of Wiley City.

i. “REASONS I HAVE LIVED: I don’t know. But there are eight.” (Johnson, pg 19)
At its core, the Space Between Worlds is a story about oppression and the ways it mirrors and echoes itself. Cara has gone through worse things than almost any else in her life. She had been under the boot of the more powerful, of the wealthier, since she was born. Across universes, her life is nearly always marked by tragedy. In many worlds, she died as a child. In many worlds, she died because of her mothers actions. In many worlds, she was utterly powerless to keep herself alive. In Cara, and in the difference between her and Caramenta, we see the ways that their lives have shaped them into different people but what is clear is this: in the systems they both grew up in, neither was ever able to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. They remained in poverty, always on the edge of losing it all.

It’s very clear that the main difference in their lives, in how they turned out, is who showed them kindness. Caralee was taken in and raised by the House, a sex worker co-op. And I want to be clear, she was never trafficked by them. They were simply her family. She learned how to survive from people who are accepting and open minded. She learned how to survive from people who know the grittiness of what it takes to survive in a world that wants you dead.

Caramenta’s mother survived. And that’s the main point of divergence I think. Caramenta’s mother ended up marrying a religious leader. And the two of them are welcomed into the religion. This shapes Caramenta undeniably. She is an outsider, marked as such by her name, her skin color, and her mannerisms. It’s not explored much in the book but it’s my opinion that this lead her to take the tenets of the religion more seriously than even her step-sister who is planning to become a religious leader in her own rite. It’s mentioned, briefly, that some of the Ruralites are homophobic, mostly those that are dedicated to the religion. And Caramenta is, goes so far as to call Dell the devil and essentially bully a girl she had a crush on when she was a teen.

There is also Nelline, Cara’s Earth 175 dop. Here the main point of divergence is that Adra never went on to become Adam Bosch nor did he die in the bogs, like he did in Cara’s Earth. In Earth 175, Ashtown remained the horrible and hopeless place that it was in both Caralee’s and Caramenta’s childhoods, perhaps even worse than that. If Caramenta is Caralee if she were softer, if her life was easier on, Nelline is the opposite. She is what happens when Caralee’s life is brutal in a way that is more sociological than the personal brutality that Caralee’s had.

However, the material circumstances that these women live in, that they grew up in, are not that different even if they are different people. All of them exist on the precipice of death. At any moment, they could lose their lives or lose the people they love or experience horrific trauma. No matter the differences they have, no matter how difference they are personally, the oppression they face is mirrored and reflected by each other. This does a great way of showing the ways of how individual circumstances matter less than the weight of systematic oppression that is ingrained into the very fabric of society. It shows that no matter what Caralee did, no matter what Nelline did, no matter what Caramenta did, their lives were always going to take a similar shape, end up in a similar place, unless there was great systematic change.

Of Cara’s dops, we only hear about one that is in a good place in society. Earth 225 Cara, also named Caralee, was taken in by a wealthy family of Wileyites. She was wandering around when shwas four after her mother kicked her out of the house when a Wiley City couple found her. They took her in. They didn’t ask about her parents, didn’t stop to think that they were abducting a child. It isn’t something that is focused on. There’s about a page dedicated to her. But in that short amount of time, it’s positively chilling. The Cara with the best life on paper is a victim of a horrendous violation of human rights, stolen from her mother without a single thought beyond the idea that her life would be better away from the people and culture she came from.

ii. “I just want you to understand that I’ve killed you in worlds  where you meant something to me without a second thought. And you mean nothing to me here.” pg. 256
It also does not shy away from depicting the oppression and the corruption of the society, of all facets of it.

Wylie City is a walled city. We never get much information on how it is formed but it was created after some sort of catastrophe, I think an environmental one but I could be reading into that. It is a walled city inhabited by the rich. Wylie citizens are guaranteed healthcare, a job, and the essentials of life. There is very little they want for. Yet, the citizens of Ashtown are not awarded any of the same benefits despite the fact that they provide labor and resources that Wylie City needs to keep going. They are essential to Wylie City and it’s prosperity but they are not given a second thought, are treated as less than human.

We see this in the general worldbuilding implicitly but most explicitly we see in the Travelers. The travelers are, more often than not, the people who have been the most mistreated by society. They are child soldiers. They are miners. They are children raised in poverty. They are refugees and poor migrants. They are, to be blunt, poor people and people of color. Because of this, because their rate of survival is so low, they are the most valuable Travelers, and they can go to the most worlds. Eldridge, the company that controls Traveling, offers them the chance to become Wylie Citizens if they become Travelers and even if they do not become citizens, they are still residents for however long they work for the company. But they have to risk their lives. Many people, including Caramenta, take the job only because they are desperate for money for themselves and their families.

We see just how far that Adam Bosch is willing to go to keep his power. He is willing to kill other versions of himself, willing to kill innocent people in the same of profit and making a name for himself in the history books. It doesn’t matter if he has to kill people, exploit them, leave them to die, or manipulate them across the worlds. It is an amazing look into the bedrock of capitalism, into the inevitable exploitation and carnage that it brings, especially to the most vulnerable members of society.

iii. “Sometimes to kill a dragon, you have to remember that you breath fire too. This isn’t a becoming; its a revealing. I’ve been a monster all along.”
The Space Between Worlds is a story about revolution. We open with a Cara who is not content with the shape of the world, who is not happy with the hands she has been dealt in her life or any one of the lives she has lived in any of the worlds, but she has accepted these things. She’s accepted the circumstances of her few lives, of her many death. For her, it is not a thing that she can change. Her goal is simply to survive. It’s not that she doesn’t care about other people, it’s that she thinks it won’t matter if she tries to change things.

During her time on Earth 175, Cara helps overthrow a government. She is instrumental to it, and she learns just how far she is willing to go to survive and more importantly, to help those around her. Her motives are never really altruistic. Even if she doesn’t know the citizens of Ash in Earth 175, she knows and cares about versions of them. It doesn’t matter, not really. What matters to the narrative that this pushes her to change. This shows her that her actions, if she works in concert with other people, can change the world, can chip away at the systems that hold her and people like her down.

At the end of the story, her revolution is not a large, society-altering one. It is one that makes changes possible, however, one that, in fact, forces changes. It is not a godsend. It is not a promise. It is a prayer. It is hope that one day the world might reshape itself. At the end of the day, her revolution amounts to taking down one man and the corporation that he controls. But is still something that saves lives, that leaves a pathway for more permanent change. And, personally, I find that incredibly hopeful.
I took a chance on this book since a friend liked it, but I didn’t feel that way at all. It drags, it’s confusing, and I really struggled with it.
A beautifully written character driven story about place, belonging, and inequality that left me yearning for more. I can’t express how much I truly just fell into this novel, like sinking into a warm comfortable bed and never wanting to leave it.

The Space Between Worlds was a last minute addition to my TBR in 2020. I was looking for some additional books on NetGalley and came across it. The cover looked really cool and the synopsis even more so, but I couldn’t remember seeing a review of it from any of my blogger friends. So I put in the request and thankfully it was approved. Because OMG I loved it!

What I said above about it feeling like falling into a warm comfortable bed and me never wanting to leave it…that’s true. Each time I sat down to read I didn’t want to stop, and only did so because I needed to sleep or had to do something else I could no longer put off. Part of this was how drawn into the story I was, and part of it was the author’s prose. Really those two things are so intertwined you can’t separate them without diminishing the whole.

First, the story. Read the synopsis above and you’ll get an idea of it. At it’s heart is multiverse travel and all the trials and travails that come with it. The important issue you learn very early on is you can only travel to another earth if you are no longer alive on that earth. Otherwise…well…bad things happen. But that doesn’t keep you from interacting with other people on that other Earth you may know on your home Earth. I’d say the first 20 percent or so of the book was set-up for everything else. It set the tone and pace for all that comes later and lulls you into wondering where the story is going and then…well, then PLOT TWIST and things change and all is not as it seems and everything begins to fall into place as the narrative marches forward. This transition was so well done. I was like “whoa…what just happened” and had to reread it a couple times. The remaining 80 percent of the novel was just so well crafted with one minor climax and plot twist after another, ever moving you to the story’s conclusion.

Underlying all of this is a story about place, belonging, and inequality. Cara the protagonist is constantly trying to find her place in the world (worlds really) knowing she doesn’t really fit anywhere the way she wants to. She’s kind of an outcast from where she comes from, and not really accepted where she lives now. The same can be said of her relationships with others. Cara struggles to figure out her place within those relationships and is never really sure where she stands. Impacting all of this is a history of trauma and abuse endured at the hands of others that affects everything about the way Cara sees herself and her roles in her various relationships on every Earth. It makes for a really complex multi-dimensional character.

If you’re a fan of romantic elements in your reads you’ll also love this book because there’s this constant thread of romance throughout. Johnson does a beautiful job developing this thread that just gets bigger and stronger and more and more aching as the narrative progresses. It’s not a feel good sexy-time romance, but more of an unrequited love that smolders with that kind of intense heat which only comes with one party feeling for another but not able to act on it. Oof…it was just really well done.

When you add all this together you then realize it’s a character driven novel, and one written with a deft hand. It’s funny because I didn’t realize how much this really was a character driven novel until it just struck me like half-way through. It kind of snuck up on me and once I realized it I was smitten. I love character driven books and what’s great is The Space Between Worlds doesn’t smack you over the head with it, you just kind of discover it as you unpack it like a well made dessert layered with ever unfolding tastes on your palette.

Finally let me say something about Johnson’s prose. What I noticed immediately was a beautiful use of simile and metaphor. Typically these were woven together and it SO set the mood and tone for a scene and the development of setting and character. This was part of what made this book such a pleasure to read. It was like I was feeling and experiencing what Johnson had written right along with the protagonist.

All of this combines to form a story that is beautiful and gut-wrenching. If you want the feels you get it with The Space Between Worlds. Johnson doesn’t hit you over the head with them, but you just kind of all of a sudden realize how much you feel for Cara and the other characters and all the ups and downs they experience. I literally sighed at the end and had to collect myself.

I really don’t know what else to say except I hope more of my friends read this book and enjoy it as much as I did. The Space Between Worlds made my “best of” list for 2020 and I hope it makes some of your “best of” lists for 2021.
Cara is a traverser - an individual who ventures to other Earths for a career. At this time, 380 other Earths have been identified and traversers can only successfully travel to those on which their “dops” have already died. Cara is particularly valuable because she has died on nearly all the other Earths, making it possible for her to travel to more worlds.

What I loved:
- the entire concept of other Earths and traversing
- the imagery - the setting was a dystopian world completely unlike our own and I loved the vivid images created and incredibly unique landscapes
- I really liked the plot line. The first half of the story focused on world building and understanding traversing. The second half created more of a villain/ hero narrative that added a complexity to the storyline
- there was a bit of a “twist” with Cara’s character in the very beginning that felt very obvious to me and I was relieved it wasn’t some big reveal or drawn out surprise
- there was just enough of a love story to make the novel hopefully without taking away from the overall plot
- I loved the fluidity with gender, sexuality, and race and how it was just assumed rather than discussed or harped on

What I didn’t love:
- the book felt very YA to me which was unexpected
- with so many characters and their dops, I had a hard time keeping everyone straight
- I could have used more explanation as to how the other Earths were found and why there were only 380. Theoretically, there should be infinite
- I struggled to connect to the characters and this may be related to that fact that there were so many and I had difficulty remembering them all

I definitely recommend this one for anyone drawn toward young adult, dystopian novels. The sci-fi element wasn’t over the top and would probably be a great introduction for someone wanting to expand their genre exploration.

Overall I really enjoyed this novel and the concept was incredibly unique and intriguing. It’s a thought provoking read and one that is great for discussion.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of this novel.
I’ve always been intrigued by the idea of a multiverse - worlds existing to show all different paths. I’m interested in tracing things back to one decision - for example, I can tell you how my career path was set based on where I chose to sit in my college freshman psychology class. If I sat somewhere else - who knows what I might be doing today?

In The Space Between Worlds, Cara is able to travel between different universes. No one can travel to a world where they are alive - but Cara is dead on 372 worlds so she is able to travel more than anyone else. This also opens her up to be able to see things that others don’t know - and those in power want to keep secret.

I think this is a book that works well to enter without much information on the plot. I was fully involved in Cara’s world and also loved the writing. One of my favorite quotes was when Cara went to see her sister: “Because that’s what a sister is: a piece of yourself you can finally love, because it’s in someone else.”

This was a beautifully told story and I’m feeling Book hungover after finishing. Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the advance reading copy. I also bought the audiobook and recommend listening - the narration was excellent.
I had hoped to write this review much sooner! This is such a fun sci-fi, truly an original concept. Even though Cara is meant to be "unlikeable" due to being a liar, I love her so much! She's smart, and so very strong. I highly recommend this one!
It was difficult for me to get into this book at the start—the state of our world is so bad, and this book highlighted a lot of the ways that is so, so I kept putting it down to stop myself from despairing. But it's really such a clever, twisty sci-fi suspense story, eventually I got to the point where I couldn't put it down at all.
This book was just okay for me, but I feel like this was possibly a case of bad timing (as a mood reader). I have no real complaints about the book, I just found it really hard to get into and struggled to finish it as well.

The book is definitely full of interesting and complex characters and the multiverse plot line is intriguing, if not confusing at times.

I did really enjoy the blending of science and faith throughout the story and they way the author left things open for your own interpretation of the events.  I also liked how character, morality, and redemption were explored within the framework of the multiverse, as well as ideas of fate and destiny, and how so much could change about us based on our decisions and experiences.

I’m gonna give this one a reread in the future and see if my second read is any better. Thank you to Net Galley for the eARC copy!
This is a debut novel set in a world where interdimensional travel is possible for a select few. It's a story about traversing multiple dimensions and it is also about class and control of technology.  We follow the main character as she tries to fit into a world that doesn't truly value her while also needing her to travel to adjacent dimensions to data mine.

We see different versions of characters in various dimensions, which for me sparked a lot of thoughts about how people become the way that they are and society's role in shaping a person. Also, are people redeemable? Can they be, if you meet someone who has done you great harm as one version of them while not as another version of them? What is evil? What is the line that you draw in the sand for what is moral and what is not?  I like that feeling of gray. What is good, what is bad? What makes either that way. Aside from the story there is an underlying uncertainty about whether interdimensional travel is based in spirituality or science and that both can lay claim.

This is a fun adventure with some twists and turns that I did not see coming. There are also a lot of really beautiful moments that deal with loss and trauma and miscommunication and sisterhood. I'm really looking forward to reading more from Micaiah Johnson. I would definitely recommend this one!
I'm not a sci-fi/dystopia reader at all but when my book club choose this I was ready to expand my horizons.

While it still isn't my genre of choice,  the writing and story were extremely well done and I'm impressed by this debut author!
Really torn between 2 and 3 starts. I found the plot very original but did not connect with our main character. Perhaps I didn't focus enough while reading, but I found it hard to follow who betrayed who, which Earth we were on, and so forth. So many moving pieces! Maybe a more devoted science fiction reader would love this book. It just wasn't the best fit for me, at this time. I might revisit in the future.

*Thanks to NetGalley and publishers for the free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Cara is a queer black woman that uses tech that lets her gain access to multiple earths for collecting data that will help the original Earth (aka Earth Zero). Cara can only visit the alternative Earths that she is no longer is alive. In.  Cara is in love with her supervisor, Dell.  However Cara is from the part of Earth Zero that is a bleak wasteland
ruled by the emperor Nik Nik.  However Cara has a home in Wiley City that is modern yet she doesn’t feel at  “home” there.  Cara’s lives appears to die quite early on the other Earths.  She discovers a secret on an alternative Earth that could change the course of history.   What willCara do with that secret?

This science fiction/horror novel is unique.  It examines several questions such as privileges, upbringing and trauma.  It also brings up questions on colonialism,  it starts off slow in the beginning only due to the fact that you must be aware of what Cara’s life and Earth Zero is truly like.  The story engaged me with its adventures and emotions.  It is an impressive first book.
THE SPACE BETWEEN WORLDS (Del Rey, 327 pp., $28) is Micaiah Johnson’s debut, but that word is utterly insufficient for the blazing, relentless power of this book, suggesting ballroom manners where it should conjure comet tails.
This book was incredible, I cannot recommend it enough. Dystopian while still realistic, touches on real world current events, and so well developed. Already purchased for friends!
Thank you so much to NetGalley for the e-arc of this one!

This book was phenomenal!

Once I picked it up I could not put it down.

In this, we follow Cara, who traverses to parallel Earths in order to obtain data for her employer. Her hometown feels dystopian, while where she lives and works is futuristic. Traversers can only travel to Earth's where their parallel Earth self has died. Cara has died a lot on other Earths which makes her incredibly valuable, as she can travel to more places than most other people can.

I went into this expecting an interesting sci-fi, but was blown away by numerable things that this book touches on. It is an obvious look at how our current society is set up, the wide gap between people from Ashtown and those who live in Wiley City. It's a book based on power and those who both wield and abuse it.

I was not expecting this to have a mystery/thriller aspect, but it did, and it kept me so on the edge of my seat that I devoured this book in a couple of days. It's under 400 pages but the author uses each sentence meaningfully, and I had to force myself to slow down and reflect on what was happening so that I could digest everything fully. Since I've finished, I've still been thinking about it, so it's one of those books that really sticks with you.

If you are looking for a fast-paced science fiction book that touches on current society, while also being both futuristic and dystopian feeling, you won't be disappointed.
I will be keeping up with the author and her future works.

Go read this, and then find me on Instagram and Twitter!
Instagram (@delaneyreads) - I will also be posting my review on my Instagram soon!
Twitter (@delaneyreads)
Thank you Micaiah Johnson, DelRey Books and Netgalley for #gifting me with this ebook.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 4.5/5 Stars
Trigger warning: This book contains scenes of domestic violence.

This has been one of those books that sat on my shelf and I just never got around to picking it up. I’m so glad that I reached for it this time around.

Cara is a survivor in every sense of the word. She has died on 372 other worlds, which makes her one of Eldridge’s biggest assets in multiverse travel. Little does Cara know that not everything is as it seems.

I am not the biggest sci-fi reader, but I loved the idea of there being hundreds of parallel universes that could be traveled to, but only if you no longer lived on that world. Cara is a strong female character; she is tough and ambitious, yet also flawed and a bit broken. She walks a thin line, never really fitting into any space that she inhabited.

I loved the pace and flow of this story. There are a couple big twists sprinkled in that leave you on the edge of your seat, waiting to see how it all unfolds. Adding in the same characters from different multiverses just added to the complexity of the story; in some worlds I hated a character and yet in other worlds I liked them. It’s a strange feeling to root for a character on one page and then pray for the same characters demise on the next. I also really liked that the queer sub-theme was added without a lot of added attention, it made it feel so natural and normal (which is how it should be!).
The Space Between Worlds didn't quite grab me after the first few chapters. It sounded like an interesting concept, but I think this was a case of wrong book wrong time.
The Space Between Worlds follows Cara as she is one of the few people that can travel between the multiverse, well because she is dead in most of them.  There is a sprinkle of science, a sprinkle of philosophy, and a sprinkle of action but overall it was just a sprinkling that did it in for me and couldn't keep me intrigued.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.  All spelling and grammar errors are totally my own.