Member Review

Pub Date:

Review by

Misty M, Reviewer

My Recommendation

Unless you've experienced finding out, as an adult, that you're adopted and have inherited a house from your deceased birth family in a far-away small town, then neither you or I can even begin to imagine the distress of Amanda Fielding.

The Daughter She Lost is a heartening tale of one woman's journey to discover her heritage. I enjoyed following along Amanda's narration as she connected to those in the town of Avalon Springs. While navigating the many trials of motherhood, Amanda launches her own investigations into what truly happened to her birth mother, Angie. She'd also intended to find out her late grandmother's secretive motives for giving Amanda up for adoption as well as uncovering the identity of her birth father. Eventually, she discovers that, sometimes, the truth can be a hard pill to swallow.

Westwood's writing brings about powerful emotions, as Angie's story is slowly unearthed. I was sad for her and everything she'd gone thru, only to be taken away too soon. While I did enjoy Amanda, overall, I do wish more time was spent on furthering the reader's connection with the supporting characters. I wanted to welcome Linda and Frances but found them hard to relate to, and a tad bit annoying. In retrospect, their personalities make a lot more sense after their histories come to light. The ending, however, came about differently then I had imagined, yet satisfying all the same... sometimes those are the best though, aren't they? The tales of unexpected solace.

I would recommend this book to the wanderers of the bookish world, not lost, but rather in search of a particular set of pages to get lost in... an ideal mix of contemporary women's fiction and suspense. Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher Bookouture, and the author Lauren Westwood for providing me with a complimentary copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.

*Additionally, review was left on Amazon, Apple, Kobo & Google Play. Links are unavailable.*