Cover Image: Bite the Dust

Bite the Dust

Before reading the latest Low Country Dog Walker mystery by Jackie Layton, I went back and (finally) read the 1st book, Bite the Dust, and promptly fell head over heels for this cast of characters. Particularly Andi Grace & Marc – and even more particularly Andi Grace & Marc together as a couple, pretend or otherwise. Their respective dogs burrowed quickly into my heart as well, and the supporting players who fill in the rest of the cast are also great additions. The plot of Bite the Dust was intriguing and complex, with plenty of surprising twists & turns that kept me on my figurative toes from start to finish. What impressed me the most, though, was the warm tone of the author’s writing voice – it’s a warmth that wraps around you as you read, without overpowering the story or making it saccharine. Instead, you just want to snuggle in & keep reading.

(I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book)
BITE THE DUST is the first book in this cute cozy mystery series. I enjoyed book two, so went and picked up book one so i could be up-to-date on the story.

There were some twists I never saw coming, but the who-dun-it was beyond obvious, we were also told that Andi Grace was a calm quiet person but what we were shown  was confrontational. The faith message was  weak.

I did enjoy the story and would read more by this author.

I was given a copy free and all opinions are my own.
A really good debut to a brand new cozy mystery series. A dog-walker turned amateur sleuth, Andi Grace is charming, kind and daring. As the story begins, we see Marc Williams, peter Roth's neighbour accusing Andi Grace of murdering Peter. But things change moments later and the duo join hands to solve the crime. The red herrings are plenty and the list of suspects is long. We have the corruption angle, to begin with - something seedy is going on at the plantation. The surprise at the end of the story caught me off guard. This has something to do with Andi Grace and I definitely did not see this coming!
I absolutely loved this story. Likeable characters, a mystery that keeps one on the edge of their seat and a mind-blowing ending, I highly recommend Bite the Dust to all cozy mystery lovers.
Bite the Dust is a very easy read, a mystery set in the south after Andi Grace's dear friend is discovered dead.  I enjoyed the relaxing read.  The characters were likable and I was rooting for them to be successful in their quest to find justice for Andi's friend.

I did find the book to be a little cheesy--they kept referring the the 'killer' and I just didn't find that to be realistic or natural.  They way they talked seemed a bit unnatural too, and the book jerked from one thing to the next sometimes in a way that didn't flow super smoothly.

There is a lot of religious referencing by the main character.  It did not bother me per se, but may be off putting for some.

All in all, I enjoyed the relaxing escape.  I look forward to seeing how the author develops the characters and the stories.

Thank you to the publisher and #NetGalley for the ARC.  All opinions are my own.
This is a charming new cozy series ! I loved this first in series with great charcters, a delightful Southern setting and a fun sleuth. I highly recommend this series for your reading enjoyment.  This is a great series for dog lovers as the protagonist is a dog walker.

This is book number one in the fun new cozy series  "Low Country Dog Walker".   I like that the story is based upon a family and their mutual love for one another.  Grace is our protagonist who raised her brother and sister. since their parents were killed. Grace gave up college to raise her siblings.   They  live in small town South Carolina which is full of Southern Charm and great charcters as friends of the family.  Grace is a dog walker and as such as access to her clients homes to pick up their dogs for their walks.  She goes into a home to walk the dog and finds  the client dead. After the death investigation begins she finds out she was the sole heir of his will so the police are looking at her and she must clear her name.

I like Grace for her integrity and her love for her family. She proves to be a savvy investigator as she progresses in the case.  She is a protagonist I look forward to reading again.

Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley . My review opinion is my own.
Bite the Dust is the first book in a new cozy series by Jackie Layton. Released 28th Feb 2020 by Belle Bridge Books, it's 250 pages and available in paperback and ebook formats. It's worth noting that the ebook format has a handy interactive table of contents as well as interactive links. I've really become enamored of ebooks with interactive formats lately.

This is a very light murder cozy with a female protagonist who finds one of her dogwalking clients (and personal mentor) dead in his home when she comes to walk his dog. It's full of southern slang and clean language with a slow romance subplot. The plot and tension arc are well paced and the characterizations are well done, especially for a debut author. The book could have benefited from a merciless editing; a fair bit of the dialogue was still rough and somewhat clunky. The descriptive prose was somewhat overwrought, but really overall, it was good and readable.

There is quite a bit of religious supplication in the book. Main character Andi Grace seems quite determined in her religious beliefs and refers to God a number of times in the book (in a positive way). For readers who prefer their cozies more secular in narration, it could be a bit much. I didn't find it over the top, but it was noticeable.

It also struck me as a bit awkward that she refers to her siblings for whom she put her life on hold after the unexpected death of their parents as "the kids" numerous times throughout the book. Contextual information would suggest that her brother is only a couple of years younger than she is, so referring to them as the kids is contrived.

The book does have potential and I'll be interested to see how the author moves the series forward. The second book in the series was published in June, 2020.

Three stars for the unpolished dialogue and convoluted denouement, but definitely shows promise.

Thank you NetGalley and Belle Books  for providing the ARC.

This was an okay mystery for a first book in a series. But it had a lot of issues for me to enjoy the story.

The main reason I requested the book was because it involved dogs and that’s still a plus even though the dogs were not part of the mystery.

Some of the issues are:

The way God was brought into the conversation was jarring and awkward. Those conversations didn’t flow smoothly. I don’t mind books which has religion as one of the focal points of the story but I like it to be subtle or handled in a way that doesn’t feel forced.

The mistakes were glaring. For e.g. the day of the murder was mentioned different in two different places. The way some of the discussions went between main characters were interchangeable which shouldn’t be because the hero is new to the area.
A good start to A Low Country Dog Walker Mystery series. A charming read, I enjoyed the characters, loved the animals and will definitely look to read more.
Great book!  This is one of those that keeps you reading until the end. Even though it's the
first book in a series,  it wraps up some nice surprises by the end.  This book is a very clean
Christian book even though there's a murder. I enjoyed it very much!

Thank you, Jackie Layton, the publisher, and NetGalley, for a good book to read and rate!
A Cozy Dog walking mystery, the main character is suspected of a murder and the story revolves around proving her innocence and finding the real culprit, she is helped by family and friends, even though the storyline is familiar one, it is still entertaining. Put your feet up with a cuppa and enjoy
Bite the Dust is a new Christian cozy mystery series with wonderful characters!  Andi Grace Scott is a dog walker. At one of her clients and friend's house she finds him dead.  Andie Grace is suspect #1.  She knows she will have to find the killer to clear her name. The best part is she has Marc, formerly a lawyer, to help her.  The book kept me guessing until the end! Very enjoyable! #NetGalley #BiteTheDust #BelleBooks
I was drawn to request this book after the publication date by the cover and description. This is the first book in the Low Country dog Walker Mystery series. After the hit and run death of her parents, twelve years ago, Andi Grace Scott, now 30, raised her two younger siblings. She is now the owner of a dog walking business, Andi arrives at her friend Peter’s house and finds him dead on the floor.

Andi becomes the prime suspect.  Good summer read.

I received a copy from Netgalley and am not required to leave a positive review.
Bite the Dust is a fun start to a cozy mystery series set in a small town in the low country of South Carolina.  I enjoyed the characters and the plot  I did not guess the the murderer under the end.  The writting is a bit slow and choppy, but I still enjoyed it.  And the dogs, oh my, the dogs!  I recommend this book, for those who love dogs,  who live in small towns,  etc......
This is book 1 in a new cozy series, Low Country dog Walker mystery.  It introduces Andi Grace and her brother and sister.  They have lived their entire lives in small town South Carolina, on their own since their parents were killed when Andi Grace was 18 ready to leave for college.  She stayed and raised her family.  Now she goes into a home to walk the dog and finds her customer dead.  Lots of mystery around the house and especially when Andi Grace is the beneficiary of his will. Looking forward to the next installment which I'm assuming are for her brother and sister.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I enjoyed this story.  It had great characters and a good plot.  Loved the dogs!
Many thanks to BelleBooks Inc. and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
I enjoyed reading this book. It was fast moving and I couldn't put it down. I also loved the characters.
Such a great read. First time reading from this author. Cannot wait for the next book to read. I enjoyed the story line very much.
This reminds me of the Hallmark mystery movies where the ladies are better at solving crimes than the police. Like them, Andi Grace’s determination to find the killer borders on being rash. When she finds her business mentor/dog walking client dead in his home, she’s immediately a suspect. Since her parents’ hit-and-run killer was never found, and the sheriff is under-staffed and overworked, she’ll solve Peter’s murder herself. Helping her is hunky lawyer-turned-boatbuilder Marc Williams, who sensibly keeps her safe and helps her investigation.
Aurora Teagarden would be proud.
I found this first book in the new series which if set in the Lowcountry of South Carolina to be Ccharming and a quick, fun read. The characters were fairly well fleshed out and I look forward to see them develop further. The plot was done well. I was able to guess who had done it by about midpoint but that didn't stop me from enjoying the book. Andi Grace is a great protagonist and I felt that the cast of characters were very entertaining. I look forward to the next book in the series.

I would like to thank Jackie Layton, BelleBooks, Inc. - Bell Bridge Books and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Cute chick it story loaded with twists, turns and surprises about  a  dogwalker being accused of murder.   The story makes you smile and it will be a delightful summer read.  Captivating whodunit.