Cover Image: Wanda E. Brunstetter’s Amish Friends Farmhouse Favorites Cookbook

Wanda E. Brunstetter’s Amish Friends Farmhouse Favorites Cookbook

This cookbook is another wonderful treat from Wanda E. Brunstetter!  It is packed full of easy recipes, wonders stories and advice.  I love that anyone, of any age can pick this cookbook up and start cooking!
Filled to the brim with beautiful pictures and over 200 delicious recipes.  The Breakfast Protein Cookies are a family favorite now!
I highly recommend this cookbook to everyone!
I was given an ARC from NetGalley and this is my honest review!
There are many recipes in this book with every day ingredients. I have marked several recipes to make.  Thank you Netgalley for sending me a pdf sample copy. I look forward to trying many of the recipes. As I create, I go in to Amazon, and add on to my review, by talking about the recent recipe I created. For instance, I made the Pumpkin Nog, which is dangerously addicting. I am a pumpkin addict, and will create recipes all year long from that subject alone. I am hoping they will offer more cookie recipes due to the season it refers to.

I cannot comment on the look of the book as I did not receive a hard copy   PDF format is sometimes garbled together (run on sentences), so I don’t give feedback on the look

My only negative on this book is the:  Angel Cookies.   The author needs to fix the ingredients part, where you see water and fruit. You can figure it out in the directions, which I had to read in order to understand it. The recipe sounds easy ,and interesting;  I’m thinking I may need to try it.
This book had beautiful pictures and was clear and easy to read. The recipes I tried were delicious and easy to make.
This cookbook is a lovely blend of Amish homestyle stories and recipes, plus cleaning recommendations  as well.
I am excited try the recipes. I love the Amish stories included.
A wonderful collection of recipes, most with common ingredients many would already have in their pantry or fridge. I want to try some of the salad recipes, as they would be great for summer. Lots of chicken and vegetable recipes. Also like the extra pages at the end, with tips on getting rid of pests in the house and homemade remedies. Would highly recommend this book.
This book is beautiful!  After a brief introduction, it jumps right into the recipes.  The recipes are simple and easy to follow.  I love that the original author is given credit for the recipe--it makes it feel like a real community effort.  Recipes are divided into appropriate chapters, including one titled 'Barnyard Tips.'   There are also Pest Control recipes, Garden Tips, and Home Remedies and Tips.  Truly an all inclusive book!

Even if I didn't love to cook, the photographs in this book would draw me in!  They are vibrant and vivacious--the book is absolutely beautiful.

I highly recommend this and look forward to trying some of these excellent recipes myself.

Thank you to #NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.  All opinions are my own.
What a delightful gem of a cookbook.  I love that there is an Amish cookbook out there that isn't requiring a lot of canned/processed foods in it to make the recipes.  I was able to sample a number of recipes from the cookbook, but I know there is so much more in it that I was not able to preview.  This book contains some fun breakfast ideas, beverages, snacks, salads, side dishes, main dishes, desserts, condiments, and home remedies!   I loved reading the author's history of how she came to compile this collection of Amish recipes, including her story of growing up in an Amish family.

Some recipes I tried were:

Graham Cracker Granola  - (this was my daughter's personal favorite).  We actually subbed out tje butterscotch chips and replaced with chocolate and mini marshmallows for a s'mores variation.  (that's my 11 yo for you - all about experimenting with the recipes!)

Good Lemonade - We cut back a smidge on the sugar just because we like it more tart.

Homemade Iced Tea -  This was AMAZING!!!!!

Zucchini Muffins  - These were so tasty and were shared with a friend for her birthday.  I can't get over how moist and delicious they were. Definitely a great recipe for summer.

Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad -  I used greek yogurt in place of sour cream and Italian dressing, but I imagine there could be a lot of different flavor combinations for this based on what flavor salad dressing is used.

Chicken Bites  -  I have no words.  Perfection and so easy to make! We drizzled ours with honey after.

Johnny Cake  -  I made this to serve with ice cream for my daughter's 11th birthday as she doesn't care for traditional birthday cake.  It came out really good!

Ranch Pretzels - I've made these twice already.  They are an official family favorite.

Farmer's Dust  - This is just a great all-purpose season salt. I seasoned some chicken legs with this mixture before grilling. My only complaint was that it is so humid in the northeast right now that its starting to clump up on me already.  I added a few grains of rice to the shaker to help absorb some of the moisture.

Cold 'n Flu tea   - I am still missing a few ingredients to make this completely, but I'm trying to track them down as I suffer from chronic sinus ailments. I did mix up what I had already and the peppermint and lemon balm really stand out.

I'm really looking forward to purchasing a full copy of this cookbook. It is chock full of so many recipes that I would like to try.  The stand out sections include the breakfast granola ideas, the snacks, and the home remedy section.

Thank you to Shiloh Run Press, Barbour Publishing, Inc., and NetGalley for a temporary digital ARC of Wanda E. Brunstetter's SAMPLE Amish Friend's Farmhouse Favorites Cookbook: A Collection of Over 200 Recipes for Simple and Hearty Meals, Including Advice and Stories by Wanda E. Brunstetter. The thoughts expressed here are my own.

My Ratings:

5*****I loved this book, consider it an all-time favorite
4**** Thoroughly enjoyed the book and will recommend it
3*** I liked it well enough,
2** Brain Candy - It was okay. Writing mediocre, will
keep/re-read if part of a series
1* didn't like/possibly not finished.
Wanda E. Brunstetter’s Amish Friends Farmhouse Favorites Cookbook is a new cookbook with basic farmhouse/country staple dishes in a simple style. Released 1st June 2020 by Barbour on their Shiloh Run imprint, it's 224 pages and available in spiral bound format.

The eARC provided was a 66 pages sample with recipes for breakfast, (non-alcoholic) drinks and snacks, breads & rolls, salads & side dishes, main dishes, desserts, condiments, home remedies and helpful tips for cooking, pest control (farmyard), and more.

The photography is appealing and warm and emphasizes the comfort and simplicity of good food with good friends and family. The typography and layout are homey, with recipes presented individually, organized by section.

Many of these recipes will be familiar to cooks who have had family recipes handed down for generations. The recipes all have ingredients listed in American standard measurements only. The written directions are clear and easy to follow. There is no nutritional information given for the sample recipes, and the contributors names are listed for each. I was surprised (and pleased) to see that some of the recipes included convenience ingredients. Also many of these recipes have large yields, perfect for parties, reunions, gatherings, etc.

Five stars. (With the assumption that the rest of the recipes and book quality are to the same standard as the sample provided).

It is difficult to find a cookbook anymore where the reader is excited to make the majority of recipes.  This is one of the greats.

Too often recipes do not sound appetizing, are difficult to make or contain items that are not stocked at my grocery store.  It is impossible to know this prior to purchase when buying online.

You will not be disappointed in this one.  Most of the recipes sound and look fantastic.  Those that I have made are wonderful.  They are easy to make and call for commonly possessed items.

I have several Amish cookbooks since I live near an Amish community.  I consider Wanda Brunstetter’s the best.  I am probably bias since I also like her books but you will absolutely love it too.

I received an ARC from Favorite Cookbooks through NetGalley.  This in no way affects my opinion or rating of this book.  I am voluntarily submitting this review and am under no obligation to do so.
I really enjoyed reading through this delightful Amish cookbook filled with tons of easy recipes, stories, and home remedies too. This would definitely make a wonderful gift for anyone who loves to cook and/or read about the Amish! Some of my favorites so far are: Garden Veggie Casserole, Old-Fashioned Apple Dumplings, Corn Bread Salad, and Western Omelet. Thanks to Wanda E. Brunstetter for writing an exceptional cookbook in which I look forward to making some more yummy recipes!# Amish Friends Farmhouse Favorites Cookbook#NetGalley

*Thank you to NetGalley & Shiloh Run Press for allowing me to read an e-copy for free in exchange for my honest opinion/review.
Sample Review

I love a good cookbook, especially one that reads well with more than just straight-up recipes. So I was intrigued when I saw this book on one of my favorite book review sites. The subtitle promised stories and advice as well as recipes. As the Amish have always intrigued me, I was looking forward to settling into some good, basic, homey recipes and interesting stories of a life that is so different from my own. Unfortunately, the publisher was not clear on the review website that this was only a sample of the cookbook. If I had known that, I would not have opted to review it. My preference is to always review complete books so I can provide a more accurate review. This sample is only 68 pages from a 200+-plus page book. As such, much was left out—including the stories I was so looking forward to. The book has Amish recipes as you have most likely seen in other Amish cookbooks if you like cookbooks about their style of cooking. The book does have an interesting chapter on home remedies that you don't typically see in cookbooks. The photographs were mostly clean and light filled; not every recipe has a photograph. Some recipes have issues. In the advanced reader copy that I received, multiple ingredients that are bought in containers—like cans, tubs, and packages—don't have the size of the container (though some recipes do have it). As most prepared ingredients come in a variety of sizes, this could lead to recipe failure. I did check the published book at Amazon, and in the few recipes in the Look Inside, this omission was still present. Because I was not given the full book, I can't say for certain what the stories and advice are like as I didn't see them.
I was not overly impressed with this cookbook.  The first recipe for blueberry cake is possibly the only one I'd make.  The photographs are lovely, but I'd like to see more recipes with photos.  Also, there aren't very many recipes in each section.  It was interesting though how it also includes household and barnyard tips.  I would not necessarily recommend this cookbook, I've seen much better.
Wanda E. Brunstetter’s Amish Friends Farmhouse Favorites Cookbook
by Wanda E. Brunstetter

I received a sample of the book and it has some nice Amish recipes. I'm excited to try some!
Great cookbook. Lots of tasty recipes and love the household tips. Some recipes use can goods . I enjoyed this a lot
Amish friends farmhouse favorites.... while a mouthful it’s an apt approach to this cookbook. While I only received a sample of this cookbook, about 60 pages of an over 200 pages book, it was well worth the look. Beautiful pictures and delicious looking recipes fill the book, and there is also a recipe section on ailments, and pest control ideas.

What did I like? While I hate being teased with a sample of a book, the publisher gives you enough to really wet the appetite. I absolutely loved the recipe section for pest control. I plan on having a large herb garden, and knowing how to utilize a bunch it really helps. The recipes are split up into main, breakfast, drinks....etc. Easy enough to flip through and get an ideal.

Would I recommend or buy? I have no way of knowing what the entire cookbook is like, only based off the sample. Plenty of pictures, and delicious homemade looking recipes filled what I could see.  I would definitely make the recipes. I would love a full copy, hopefully it’s just like the sample.

I received a sample copy of the cookbook, not an entire copy, and this was my opinion based on the sample.
Was surprised for this to solely be a sample.  From what I saw, though, this feels a bit like something you would buy at a school bake sale or at best, a Hallmark store.  Production values aren't the best, and the recipes are quite slight.  I now know how to de-feather a chicken, though.  So there's that.
The book is well designed with beautiful pictures and a sturdy spiral notebook design that is perfect fir use in the kitchen.  It is full of wonderful  and easy  recipes. I was so excited when I received my copy and spent hours looking at the easy recipes. I loved the garden tips found at the end of the book.  It has recipes to help rid your garden of pesky bugs uses ingredients that are not harmful .

There are also household tips from how to unclog drains to removing rust stains. The book reminds me of my granddad’s farm. He used simple ingredients also  to make soap
and cleaning products  to keep windows shiny. The author takes you back to days where cooking was simple and delicious. I have tried several recipes and found them to be easy to make. I loved the Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad. It is so good and even comes  with an easy to make dressing to pour over it. This is a must for every kitchen to have when looking for recipes that are tasty and easy to make.

I received a copy of this book from the author and Barbour Publishing. The review is my own opinion.
I really enjoyed flicking through this book and reading a bit about what I thought was the authors life, and then discovered it wasn't after double-checking the name. This didn't detract from my enjoyment of the book though. Even though I am Australian and would have to convert a lot of the recipes they all looked tasty and easily understood.
I like the mix of photographs and thought it was a lovely touch having the names of the recipe creators at the end of each recipe.
It was a lovely surprise at the end to see the home remedies and tips, even the barnyard tips will be useful to some readers that do have pets or small farms.
Overall I really enjoyed this book and can see myself making dishes out of it.
Award winning, best-selling author Wanda Brunstetter has given us another five-star treat with her newest cookbook, Amish Friends' Farmhouse Favorites.  This spiral bound treasure has an eye-catching cover with pictures of Amish pictures.  It is filled with over two hundred scrumptious recipes, helpful tips, and tales.
The recipes are down-home and not ones that have unknown ingredients.  I thought the recipes were easy to read and follow.  The directions were clear and simple.  This is a down to earth, simple-fare cookbook that will benefit anyone’s kitchen library.   Vibrantly colored pictured are sprinkled throughout to make you drool.
Inspiration and cute quotes accompany pictures introducing the sections.  The one for Desserts said “Many blessings are overlooked because they don’t cost us anything” by Katie Gingerich, Dalton, OH.  Some of the recipes had names that made me chuckle.  For instance, have you heard of “Wash Day Pudding, Hans Waschtlin, or Amish Sawdust Pie”.  I even found natural recipes for spider-be-gone, baby wipes, and mold remover.  Garden Tips is the last section, and I found that very interesting.
This is a remarkable book.  It is much more than an ordinary one.  I found myself reading through it like a fiction book and could imagine myself right there in the community with them.  This book is well planned and organized.  It is easy to find a particular recipe using the index in the back.
I highly recommend this stunning Amish cookbook.  It is definitely one of my favorites already.  Get a copy for yourself and that cookbook collector or Amish lover that you know.  I rate it a 5 out of 5 stars.
The book Amish Friends Farmhouse Favorite Cookbook, has a number of familiar recipes in it. A lot of the recipes where very easy to make and didn’t require hard to find ingredients. I also appreciated that the book also contained recipes for homemade health remedies, as well as a small section of recipes to help animals on the farm. Overall, I thought the recipes were basic and could be used to teach those who may have never cooked before.