Cover Image: Alpha Night

Alpha Night

This book was a bit difficult for me. I will always read anything by Nalini Singh no questions, no doubt. But Alpha Night certainly had a rough start. The story took a bit to find its legs in my opinion. I was a little unsure about what direction the story and the conflict would take. I think it's because there is such an abrupt beginning that is mirrored in the mating-at-first-sight that happens between Ethan and Selenka.

Once I pushed through the beginning and once I could see where the story was going I was much more invested.

I think it's unavoidable really that some of the books will start to take a little time to catch my attention. With such a big cast of characters, I feel like there's only so many new and different storylines to go through before certain aspects may have to be recycled, or reworked into a story. I miss the early on aspects of the Psy-Changeling series as a whole. Getting to know the secondary characters to the point that when their books finally arrive there's an excited buzz about them already. This is the first book in a while where I don't really recall the main couple (Selenka and Ethan) from previous although Nalini Signh has a great way of weaving characters in and out of each story (a la Sascha and Lucas) so it's possible I just missed them, but regardless they didn't carry that spark and recognition that excites me when a character I've seen in the background finally moves to the front.

Overall, you can never go wrong with Nalini Signh. Ever. She's written two consistently great and engaging series and created such detailed worlds.

This time around I think this book was almost a bridge book kind of leading into some bigger developments for the next. But trust that I'll be there for it all guaranteed.
Russian Alpha wolf Selenka Durev’s city is hosting a conference of empaths; they are those most vulnerable among the Psy conversely being their hope for survival. All those empaths in one place are a temptation for the Consortium to act; they endeavor to rule the world by any means available including death and destruction.

A man emblematic of a lone wolf, Arrow Ethan Night, is assigned as security except he has a hidden agenda and is barely surviving the fall of Silence.  Ethan’s world takes a seismic shift when he literally barrels straight into Selenka, saving her life during an attack while at the same time gripped by Selenka’s mating bond. The two are instantly locked into a relationship unusual even in the Changeling world.
I was so excited that we were back in Russia. Close to the bears is where I like to be! We are focused on the wolves, but we do get glimpses! Valentin is so much fun and his sloth of bears are always getting into trouble, which is a reason Selenka tries to keep her wolves away from them. But despite the bit of rivalry they put on, I think they are really good friends.

Selenka is a very strong alpha leader of her pack. I was surprised by how quickly her wolf picked Ethan Night as her mate. He seemed so sneaky. As an Arrow, I expected him to be completely devoted to his team and protecting the E's. But he had a bit of a hidden agenda at first that kind of soured my impression of him. Ethan believes he has a condition that will drive him to kill and has made Aiden swear to kill him before he totally loses it. It kind of reminded me of rogue wolves. I don't think that was a good enough reason for him to align with the Contractor.

With Ethan's protection of the E's at their symposium, where he was actually supposed to be doing something entirely different, he puts a snag in the Contractor's plans. It is making this person reevaluate the path they are taking and probably putting together a plan B. I shouldn't have been as surprised as I was by the Contractor. We definitely learn a lot about this person's goals and the plans that will affect everyone.

I enjoyed the romantic relationship between Selenka and Ethan. I felt like they both lowered walls to be able to come together. Selenka is still pretty bossy, but Ethan is very accepting that in their relationship, he is never going to be the alpha. He wants to support his queen.

I loved Alpha Night with it's conspiracy, romance and daily trials Selenka must deal with with her wolves. I can't wait to see what our next Psy-Changeling Trinity is going to hold for us!
REVIEW PROVIDED BY: Kelly
NUMBER OF HEARTS: 5
Oh man, Ethan Night tried hard to knock Judd Lauren (Caressed by Ice) out of my #1 place for favorite character. But never fear Judd you are still my favorite, but it was so close.
Alpha Night tells us the story of Russian Wolf Alpha Selenka Durev and Arrow Ethan Night. I loved Selenka and Ethan together (and for those who complain about instant love..... TOUGH!!!).  Both Selenka and Ethan could have never imagined what the future would hold for them from just one meeting. From that one meeting they both learn to trust and rely on each other.
We also get a more insight to the ongoing threats that have been plaguing the world since the end of Silence.
This was a great story and I loved listening to this audiobook. Angela Dawe is amazing!! I am in total awe of her talent for being a narrator. Her ability for so many voices is just WOW!!  If you are looking to try an audiobook this series is a perfect one to start on. Nalini writes epic stories and Angela brings those characters to life!! I am excited about the next installment in this series.

Disclaimer:
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Netgalley & Berkley Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review. This review is my own opinion and not a paid review.
Another strong entry in this series - I read the ARC twice before my purchased copy came in the mail. Definitely recommending this book for purchase/to patrons
Instalove is a huge turn off for me. I slam it in just about every book I encounter. But I can accept it a bit more with a mating scenario in PNR than I can anywhere else. This book features a mating at first sight, which even in the confines of the world building is rare, and while the love isn't instant--let's be real--it only takes a few days to build.

The super-fast love aside, the instant mating thing actually worked for me. Something in Selenka's wolf recognizes Ethan as its mate and doesn't hesitate to grab on and refuse to let go. Ethan is a damaged Arrow (aren't they all?) and in a refreshing twist, doesn't shy away. Unlike, say, Judd, he was never conditioned to feel pain in contact or emotion. He's been empty and grayed out his entire life and with Selenka, glories in someone claiming him.

I flat out loved the way he was hers from the get-go. He never hesitated or prevaricated. He was knight to her queen--her weapon and shield and I was there for it. At the same time, it was awesome to see an Alpha heroine who wasn't a bitch. She never apologized for her strength, but she used it to take care of her pack. Nalini Singh painted her with nuance and I believed she'd shred anyone who hurt her man.

Though some people will always want books set among the original characters, I like the characters introduced with Silver Silence. The bears are a huge hit with me and though this is a wolf book, I'd be content for more stories set in this area. We still get lots of familiar faces visiting, and frankly, I applaud how Singh is keeping the series fresh.

Overall, I really liked this book. Singh is a great writer and this world is so well drawn, it's as familiar as an old friend. The couple was great and despite the speed, I felt their devotion and commitment 100%. The sex was good too.

(My only small niggle was that I had a little trouble connecting all the dots with the Scarab storyline, but I got there eventually.)
I love the Psy-changeling series.  It is so different from anything else I read.  I always get lost in this world and this one was no different.  I love the characters.  They are so complex and intriguing and I can't wait to read more from Nalini Singh.
We are, once again, brought back to Russia and the Black Edge Wolf Pack and the alpha, Selenka Durev, and she becomes mated at first sight to the “broken” psy Ethan.

The dynamic is fresh, the relationship is embraced by both. Even though they had their issues both accepted the relationship then built on what was immediate with spending time together and getting to know each other.

I am a Nalini Singh fan. She writes it, I read it. It is that simple. Alpha Night is an excellent addition to Singh’s outstanding repertoire. She gives us a story about an alpha female that delights her fans, rivets the readers, and makes us wish for more.

I received this ARC copy of Alpha Night from Berkley Publishing Group. This is my honest and voluntary review.
I will read literally anything Nalini Singh writes. Period. The End. I love getting this alpha heroine and she was everything I wanted. I didn't super love this book to the nth degree but even an average Nalini book is like a superb every other author book in my opinion.
What impresses me about Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling works is that the depth of the world-building is such that even after 19 books in the combined series' there are still completely unique characters and storylines that are being written.  Alpha Night is the fourth book in the Psy-Changeling Trinity series and follows Ethan Night, a member of the elite Arrow squad, and Selenka, changeling Alpha of a Russian wolf pack.  These characters' strength in the face of their personal challenges and tragedies is what makes them so compelling together and apart.  I highly recommend Alpha Night and the entire Psy-Changeling series.
Awesome book! Read & listened to this book several times & learn something new each time!  Can’t wait for next in the series to see what happens next. My only complaint is waiting for next book lol.
Nineteen full-length novels into this series and Nalini Singh continues to Hit it out of the park. She makes this fascinating world, with characters I care about come to vivid life.

I wouldn’t recommend starting with this book. You probably could: Nalini Singh tells you everything that’s absolutely essential to understand this story. But you’re going to miss a wealth of history, world-building, and excellent stories.

I’ve always really enjoyed that the mating bond was never immediate or even necessary. Yes, it’s a an uncontrollable force or indicator of the possibilities between a couple; but it’s not just some mystical force pulling two strangers together, who then had to learn to love each other. It also wouldn’t tear a committed couple apart. So even though it is mystical and magical, it still requires choice on behalf of both parties.

I’m not saying that the “fated mates” trope is bad. It’s not. I enjoy it immensely. But I like variety, too. And here, with this mating-at-first-sight, Nalini Singh gives me more variety. The mating bond snaps into place before they have the chance to exchange a few words; but it doesn’t mean that it’s smooth sailing from there.

Both Selenka and Ethan have deep wounds and baggage. They have to navigate getting to know each other while also dealing with threats to Selenka’s pack. Neither is easy. What I loved about them is that they both went into the mating with open eyes and open hearts. They learned each other naturally, in the things they did, the conversations had, and the choices made.

I think that’s what I enjoy most about this series: yes, there’s a mating bond, but there’s also a sense of relationship built. When we get to the end of each of these books, I’m confident in their relationship. Not because of the “magic,” but because they know who each other are. They respect, care about, and love that person - precisely because of who they are.

My heart broke for Ethan. The things that some Psy put people through, it’s horrific. The absolute devotion that he shows to Selenka, the one who’d tried to save him, alongside the absolute lack of trust in most people was heartbreaking. Seeing him build relationships, beyond the one with his mate, was like cool rain on heated skin.

I don’t think we knew much more than the bare essentials of Selenka before we got to this book, but I loved seeing more another female Alpha. She’s strong, secure, and confident. Even when she’s being pulled in a million different directions, some of them the most painful possible, she still has it all under control.

I won’t say much about the plot, because it’s a long-running arc at this point, but I will say that the PsyNet is in even worse trouble than before. I’ve got some thoughts on who the Architect may be, but regardless who it is, they’re incredibly dangerous.

I can’t wait to see what happens next, especially after that ending! Nalini Singh continues to offer up amazing paranormal romances, filled with heat, humor, drama, and - most of all - heart.
Alpha Night can be viewed as either the three hundred forty-second nineteenth book in Nalini Singh’s the Psy/Changeling series, or the 842nd fourth book in the Psy/Changeling Trinity series. Janine and I have reviewed eleventy-three seven Psy/Changeling books together, so when Alpha Night came out, I told her I would haunt her in the afterlife if she did not review it with me. – Jennie

Jennie: Alpha Night introduces the pairing of alpha wolf Selenka Durev, leader of the BlackEdge pack, and Arrow Ethan Night. Both have probably appeared in previous books in the series but I don’t remember them (Janine certainly will).

Janine: I remember Selenka. She was mentioned in the context of Kaleb and Valentin’s awareness of her and her occasional cooperation with them. And probably in other contexts too. An Arrow exhibiting emotionless behavior was mentioned in Aden and Zaira’s book but I’m fuzzy about whether it was Ethan.

Jennie: Selenka and Ethan meet at a symposium for Psy empaths in Moscow. She senses something in him right away, something that makes her “wolf’s fur stand up”, and he explains with the expressionlessness of a Psy embedded in Silence that he is “permanently (psychically) damaged”, an explanation that is unexpected and puzzling to Selenka.

Almost immediately after this Ethan foils a terrorist attack, using his unusual Psy ability – shooting a light beam out of his eyes that temporarily incapacitates everyone in the vicinity, except for Selenka (he pushes her face into his shoulder to protect her). They find an empath with a poison gas bomb attached to her body. Before those incapacitated even awake, Selenka saves Ethan from a second terrorist who tries to shoot him (she’s slightly injured in the process).

Though it happens very early in the book – the beginning of chapter two – I’m going to spoiler-mark this next part out of an abundance of caution.

Spoiler: Hide

It turns out that Ethan knew about the attack – he’d been contacted by a handler who arranged for Ethan to play the hero at the symposium in order to gain Selenka’s trust. The second assassin, apparently tasked with taking Ethan out, was unexpected.
Ethan has only gone along with the plan because he wanted to see if betraying the Arrows would “ignite anything in him.” This was not believable to me, since though he’s told that no one will be hurt, he knows he’s dealing with terrorists, who aren’t exactly trustworthy. There’s not a lot of detail beyond that, though; I wish his thinking had been better explained so I could understand it.

Janine: Agreed. His motive was odd. Ethan was a strange bird.

Jennie: Ethan was diagnosed as “pathologically detached” as a child (while under the control of the evil Ming LeBon), which even he recognizes as ironic given that the Psy race at the time was mired in Silence. Ethan’s mental/emotional state is one of those amorphous concepts in the series (usually, but not always, having to do with the Psy and the PsyNet) that I couldn’t quite perceive.

Janine: LOL. They are often confusing, and in this case, absurd.

Jennie: How is his detachment different from the usual Psy coldness? He feels that he’s different and damaged, but how does he know, if he’s always been this way?

Anyway, in the chaos after the attacks, Ethan experiences intense emotion for the first time. He recognizes his fury at the idea that anyone would hurt Selenka. Selenka finds herself – particularly her wolf – incredibly drawn to this strange Arrow. Though both of them are nonplussed by it, particularly Selenka, who knows what a mating bond entails – there is no doubt for either of them that they are joined.

It was only in retrospect that I realized the whole first fourth of the book takes place at the symposium; it made for a bit of a slow start, though I suppose it was important to establish Selenka and Ethan and their separate relationships (Ethan does have relationships of a sort, with his fellow Arrows, though he’s never felt connected to them due to his condition).

Janine: On a related topic, the timeframe of the entire novel is very short, just a few days. Instant mating or not, it wasn’t entirely convincing that Ethan and Selenka came to mean so much to each other because it happened so quickly.

I agree with you that the symposium taking up a quarter of the book was probably necessary, but it made some of the exposition a little shoehorned—I’m thinking of the introduction of Selenka’s friend and lieutenant Margo.

Speaking of exposition, each chapter begins with excerpts from other characters’ past speeches or writings. Did there have to be one in *every* chapter? Some are interesting and enlightening but others tell us stuff we already know. I don’t see the necessity for those. And they can interrupt the action. For example one such excerpt comes in the middle of a two-chapter sex scene and it feels disruptive. Still, some are enjoyable.

Jennie: While still at the convention center, Selenka gets word that one of her most trusted lieutenants, Emanuel, has been hurt. She races back to the Warren, the wolves’ den outside of Moscow. It’s too late for Emanuel, who has been shot in an ambush. With the body is Kiev Durev, Selenka’s father, with whom she has a contentious relationship. His presence is suspicious and not adequately explained, but Selenka puts that aside to focus on putting her lieutenants on the trail of Emanuel’s killer, and on being the alpha her grieving pack needs.

Janine: I liked the subplot about Selenka’s father fairly well. So often in these books, and particularly when it comes to the changelings, parents and other family members are wholly loving and supportive. Selenka’s father was a very different kind of parent, very much outside that mold. His self-involvement made his parenting emotionally abusive. I can’t remember if there has been another parent in this vein in earlier books—maybe Nikita before we started seeing a more caring side of her?

I appreciated the way it was resolved, too.

Spoiler: Show

The subplot also gave Selenka something personal to grapple with. The internal conflict that her dad presented (how much should she draw the line for the sake of her pack versus go easy on him because he is her dad) brought Selenka’s character traits to the fore. We saw how loyal and loving she was but also her vulnerability and her conscientiousness when it came to the safety and well-being of her pack.

Jennie: I just realized Selenka is dealing with a *lot* in the course of the book – identifying and neutralizing the threat to her pack, taking on the burden of grief the pack feels over Emanuel’s death, and accepting the huge change that is her mating with Ethan. And that’s before we even get to Ethan’s Issues.

Janine: Do you think the challenge of going through that much upheaval at once was adequately portrayed and emphasized? I would have liked more story tension in this book, especially in the first half.

Jennie: It just felt kind of rushed, you know? But that’s to be expected in books that take place over a short period of time. It adds intensity but it also can make everything feel a bit hurried.

Ethan believes he suffers from a Psy condition known as Scarab Syndrome, which is a “sudden increase in psychic abilities paired with erratic behavior, possible violent outbursts, hallucinations, and/or memory loss.” The syndrome is without a cure and sufferers must essentially be put down when they get close to crisis; if not they may attack others and cause great damage. I was annoyed that Ethan didn’t tell Selenka about this right away – it felt like there were artificial barriers to them having a talk about it, and it didn’t seem in Ethan’s character not to just blurt it out as early as possible.

Janine: Yes. Good point. One thing after another came up and interrupted them just as they were poised to have that talk. That felt clumsy.

More generally, Ethan was a discomfiting a character because of his lack of social adjustment. It makes sense that he would be like that, given his past, but I didn’t find it attractive. The whole “I’m yours no matter what you ask of me” thing was disturbing and almost robotic. Devotion is good, but slavish devotion, not so much. He did get more human and appealing as the book progressed, though.

Jennie: I liked how that was portrayed, through Ethan’s interaction with the dog and the wolf cubs in the pack.

So, we have another story in the series where one of the h/h pair believes that their romance is doomed because they’re going to die sooner rather than later. We have discussed the ubiquity of this plot point before. Sure, they are all a little different in their presentation, but it boils down to a variation on supposedly fatal illness. I do wish the author could come up with something else, but perhaps it’s harder when so often there is a “mating bond” aspect to these romances that makes it unlikely that anything *but* death would separate the h/h.

Janine: The “I’m losing my mind / I’m going to die“ thing has been done to death (sorry for the horrible pun) in this series, so at first, before we got into the specifics, it felt rote and cookie cutter. And as I’ve mentioned before, it doesn’t make sense that so many psy powers would be shrouded in mystery.

I’m going to contradict myself now by saying that in the second half, the external stuff, like the mystery of how Ethan’s power really works and the question of how he’ll keep from turning into a psychopath, as he believes he will, made the book more engaging. When I was about halfway through the book, I wondered if the novel would engage me in a more than cursory way. Thankfully, that got better in the second half. As worn as that trope is, the specifics of exactly how that will work out in each particular case often do interest me, and that was the case here.

Jennie: The story contains two villain subplots; one follows the Architect of the Consortium (the evil organization out to destroy the Good Guys’ Trinity Alliance), who is sowing chaos on the PsyNet and in the world, using Scarab Syndrome sufferers as weapons. She wasn’t that interesting to me, just another anonymous, coldly-mad-of-the-sort-we’ve-seen-before Psy baddie.

Janine: I agree.

Jennie: The other bad guy, slightly more interesting at first, is a wolf named Blaise. Blaise has formed a cult called Haven’s Disciples, made up of impressionable young Psy, changelings and humans. Though Selenka has reluctantly allowed the congregation to remain in her territory (at Emanuel’s behest; he sees himself in the undisciplined young wolves among the group), Blaise is a thorn in Selenka’s side; his group is often suspected of petty acts of vandalism meant to antagonize BlackEdge.

Janine: I agree that Blaise was only slightly more interesting and became less so as the book progressed. He wasn’t developed much.

Did you wish that Selenka had had to deal with more violent or devastating pack situations in her backstory, as the other changeling alphas had? For me the lack of something like that in her past made her seem, although capable, untested. She reminded me of two of my favorite changeling heroines, Mercy and Indigo, so I liked her, despite the fact that she read as more watered down than those two. But I wanted her to be as badass as her male counterparts.

Jennie: I didn’t feel like she was neutralized, at least, as some supposedly badass heroines are. But I agree that she felt watered down. I feel like Singh is married to certain tropes and character types in her writing, and it makes the series more repetitive than it needs to be, when there are all sorts of other characters and storylines that could be pursued.

Janine: Yes!

Jennie: Alpha Night feels like an adequate entry into the series but not a remarkable one. Early in the original Psy/Changeling series, I had so many complaints about so many aspects of the books (gender issues! Psy=bad/Changeling=good issues!, histrionic prose issues!), but as I’ve probably noted in the last…many…reviews, time and tide have blunted the impact of these irritations. Which is a good thing, but I think there is an attendant feeling that there’s not much new here, either.

Janine: Yeah, I agree. The blurb for this book made it sound fresh and different. A suspicious Arrow, an alpha heroine, and a mating at first sight. All of these are new elements but they could have felt newer, had any of them been developed further, and / or presented more substantial conflicts.

Jennie: Recycling certain plot points doesn’t help. (Also, can’t someone just put Ming LeBon out of our misery? Why is he not dead yet?)

Janine: LOL.

Jennie: There were a couple of things I will carp about because they bothered me mildly. One is that once again, in spite of the Moscow setting and the various diminutives of Selenka’s name that her pack-mates use, there is little about the characters that feels Russian. I know the Psy/Changeling world is different from our world, but I’d still love to get more details that give a sense of place – give me onion domes! Borscht! Anything!

Janine: I didn’t think of that but you’re right. Something like that would have made the book fresher. A lot of what made Ocean Light the standout in this sequel series for me was the change and differentiation of setting.

Jennie: The other issue was that I felt that Ethan’s loyalty was inconsistently portrayed.

Spoiler: Show

Janine: Agreed! As I indicated above, I wanted greater internal conflict in the early part. The mating-at-first-sight thing could have been interesting, if, for example, Selenka felt uncertain about her wolf’s choice (Patricia Briggs does a great job with that in her novella Alpha and Omega). But there’s no conflict between Ethan and Selenka in this regard or in any other. For me that made the romance a bit meh, when it could have been powerful.

Also, it’s hard to describe, but to my mind these recent books lack a kind of all-or-nothing feel that the earlier ones have. I used to feel, with some of the earlier books, that the author had left nothing on the playing field. It was all there in the book. Recently I reread Caressed by Ice, my favorite, and the experience reinforced this conclusion.

Still, Selenka was a likeable character and her dilemma with her dad was something new. So were the cult and Selenka’s responsibilities to her pack—we haven’t seen a female character grapple with those. I felt, too, that Selenka and Ethan are more evenly balanced, closer to true equals than some of the other couples are.

Jennie: I was going to give Alpha Night a B right after reading it, but I think I’ve talked myself into a B-.

Janine: It’s C / C+ for me.
I agree with other reviewers about the main relationship in the story feeling a bit...  abbreviated.  I wanted to enjoy the progression of the relationship between Ethan and Selenka.  Instead, it provides a vehicle through more of the political intrigue that comes about after the Fall of Silence; and how the world adjusts to these changes in the social/ political/ and economic dynamics.  There is also a deeper dive into the basic and fundamental traditions of the Changeling society instead of the glimpses we've received in previous novels.  I enjoyed the character of Ethan Night and his motivations, and would have appreciated more of a dive into his particular skill set in the world of Psy-Changelings.  For fans of Singh's series, this is a good addition that will provide an entertaining read for a few hours.  For those looking for more of a relationship developmental, it is there but it is brief.  The story focuses more on the reality of the worlds these characters come from, so is more of a social commentary rather than a romantic relational one.
I've been looking forward to this female Alpha wolf romance!! Ms. Sing writes some great books!! Selenka is a kick-ass heroine and I loved Ethan!!  This mate at first sight romance was delicious and satisfied all my cravings!! 19 books in and she still keeps us on our toes with the Psynet battles and I'm still craving more!!
ALPHA NIGHT marks the fourth book in the Psy-Changeling Trinity world and as a lover of the original series, I’ve been looking forward to this book’s release. I have enjoyed Nalini Singh’s writing for quite a long time. Her descriptions and attention to detail always make for an enthralling read, but now that we are into the spinoff series, I find myself wanting a little bit more from the characters.

In this particular book, we have an Arrow by the name of Ethan Night. In the past, I always have more trouble getting into the Arrows because of their colder personalities, and Ethan was no exception. He does have his powerful, heated moments that’s for sure. But it’s always a slower process for me.

In contrast, alpha wolf Selenka Durev was much easier for me to get behind. Her independent spirit made me very happy to see and because of who she was, I thought we got a more action-packed book for it. As always, Singh takes her time to build this romance. I felt like the beginning was a bit slower, but once it got its bearing, it started to speed up. I think Singh’s writing is what allows me to push on. I love how detailed and imaginative her writing is. Despite being from the same world, each of the stories feels different from one another.

ALPHA NIGHT is a nice romp back into the world of the Psy-Changeling Trinity series. Detailed writing and interesting characters always keep me coming back for more! I can’t wait to see what else Nalini Singh has in store next!
He killed with light but she lived in it.

Still can't get over the fact that I won an early copy giveaway.

Ever since Silver Silence, I was so eager to know more about Selenka Durev, not only because she's a female but THE alpha of the Moscow BlackEdge wolves pack who is mated to a PSY!!! I love strong females so an alpha will, of course, be strong. And Selenka didn't disappoint me. She was strong but selfless since she is the heart of her pack. She can be cold-hearted but also as gentle as a puppy. Her relationship with her pack was so heartwarming that I often wish I was part of it.

Ethan Night. He was surprisingly the sweetest and adorable arrow I've ever seen. Even under Silence, Ethan knows how to treat people, he knows kindness even if he never felt it. The way he was with Selenka and her pack?! I'm sorry but y heart couldn't handle it. I was literally in the recovery position. The dangerous man had done horrible things because he was forced to but could carry a pup with so much possessiveness. He was so devoted to the Arrow Squad, to Selenka and Aden despite everything he went through.

I was so happy when we got to see other characters such as Silver and Valentin. *Sigh* Ah, bears! You cannot not love them. Kaleb fucking Krychek (my favorite cardinal), my fierce Memory, and my sweet and devoted Aden. I was also so happy to see Nikki Duncan, damn I love that woman.

Unfortunately, even if I wanted to, I can't give 5 stars to this book because there were lingered moments of inner thoughts that kind of annoyed me, it was just dragging the story and I had to skip some paragraphs. But for sure I will continue this series!!!

IG - thepokebook
Another solid installment in the series. I'm not usually a fan of insta love between the two main protagonists but Nalini Singh always makes it work. And it's nice once again to see the role reversed with the female being the alpha and the male, albeit not less powerful male, take the beta role.
FINAL DECISION: A fast-paced, action packed entry in the series. I was amazed by the end to realize that only a few days had passed. Loved the alpha heroine queen and her devoted knight. The only negative is that is hard getting to know another changeling group. Hopefully, we will have all the main characters of the Trinity series soon so that every book is not a new group.

THE STORY: Selenka Durev is an alpha wolf who meets Arrow Ethan Night and instantly knows that he is her mate. Selenka's pack is in danger as the Architect continues to make plans to disrupt the fragile peace of the Trinity Accord and build an empire for herself. Ethan believes himself damaged and operating on borrowed time before his mind becomes a weapon that must be destroyed. An mating between two strangers who have both been betrayed is difficult. There is something different about Ethan that the two must investigate while getting to know one another.

OPINION: Enjoyable entry in the Trinity series. This was an interesting combination of personalities. Selenka and Ethan were definitely not what I was expecting. Having a female alpha changeling was great with different issues. I especially liked that Selenka is definitely just as ruthless as an alpha as Lucas and Hawke but gives the alpha role a different twist. (Valentin is the softie of the group -- but bears). Ethan is a different Arrow than what we have seen before as well. Singh is expanding and breaking her own constructs which only makes this series more compelling and complex with every book.

Ethan's condition kept me interested to the end and I was not expecting what the resolution was. It was surprising and yet completely obvious once I knew the ending. Singh did a great job planting clues and yet not giving the game away.

My only slight disappointment/complaint is that once again we are introduced to another new group -- BlackEdge. I'm hoping that now that we have three packs, the books will begin to explore more deeply the characters and dynamics we have already been introduced to. Much of each of these books in the Trinity series has to take time to introduce the particular dynamics and characters which is understandable but keeps this spin-off series from really rising to the levels of the original. Let's have some more BlackEdge, BlackSea or StoneWater characters!

WORTH MENTIONING: There are some cameo appearances by beloved characters from the original cast, but they are only cameos.

CONNECTED BOOKS: ALPHA NIGHT is the fourth book in the Psy-Changeling Trinity Series. It is also the nineteenth book in the Psy-Changeling series. A reader could pick up the series at the start of the Trinity series. While the story here is mostly self-contained and the romance is completely self-contained, there is so much world-building and background that a newcomer to the series might spend a lot of time trying to catch up.

STAR RATING: I give this book 4.5 stars.

NOTE: I received an eARC of this book via Netgalley. I was not required to write a review or to write a positive review. All opinions contained herein are my own.
A long-time fan of Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling Trinity novels, I picked this one up expecting a continuation of the global political plot and a solid romance, and it delivered.

Alpha Night returns to Russia, where we've spent considerable time in the latest installments. Instead of focusing on "the bears," however, it focuses on "the wolves." Alpha wolf Selenka Durev's wolf unexpectedly mates at first sight of Ethan night, a troubled member of the Arrows assassin squad. While they investigate an unusual terrorist attack and some suspicious events surrounding the BlackEdge wolf changeling pack, they also discover more about their instant mating, Ethan's secrets, and each other.

It's an instant mating, but it's not insta-love. Not entirely. The global situation comes into play as it has in the more recent novels, continuing the geo-political maneuvering alongside the development of another cross-cultural relationship. I think this book fits well in the series. If you're already a fan, you'll likely enjoy this one.