Cover Image: We Are All the Same in the Dark

We Are All the Same in the Dark

Thank you so much to Netgalley, Ballantine Books, and Julia Heaberlin for giving me an ARC in exchange for review! This review will be published on my Goodreads account immediately and Instagram account on May 26th, 2021.

“If everybody’s holes were as obvious as a missing body part, what would the word disabled even mean? Would we erase disabled from the dictionary? Would the word not even exist, because all of us are both broken and whole?”

HOW are more people not talking about this book? I read the whole thing in a day -- an impressive feat for me -- and I am obsessed. The plot was incredibly topsy turvy, and there were a lot of even just subtle events and clues that I didn’t expect to have the outcome they did. I was GLUED to this story, and it felt almost cinematic in pacing, but with the ability to go into detail of a novel, a really great combo for a thriller. Also, I am now certain that I really do enjoy detective stories! This had great elements of unreliable narrators, and at no point in the story did I feel confident in any of the character’s motives. I could see the end being a little disappointing to some, but I thought it was pretty well done and almost haunting.
Small towns are usually tight knit communities. Everyone knows everyone's business no matter how hard you try and keep the secrets locked down. So when the town's golden girl goes missing and is never found fingers point wildly.

Odette is haunted. Multiple ghosts swirl around her head. These are what push her to help the lost girl that was found in the middle of a field. Found by the one person everyone suspects for the disappearance that happened so long ago.

What Odette doesn't seem to realize is that someone isn't happy with the dust she is kicking up. Dust that they thought had settled so long ago. Someone that will stop at nothing to make sure the truth never sees the light of day.

Suspenseful, thought provoking and very intriguing. We Are All the Same in the Dark was a very interesting story to experience.
Amazing. I absolutely loved this book, could not put it down. The author's use of different POVs along a linear timeline was so interesting and compelling, and the voice of each character was unique. I also felt the setting was perfect for this novel, as if it was made for it.

I cannot wait to read more of this author's books.
We Are All the Same in the Dark was one of my favorite books of 2020! As a fellow Texan like the author, I loved the dark small town feels. The mystery was very intriguing and the message of the story hit me right in the gut. I can’t wait to read more by author Julia Heaberlin.
This book was a bit of a mystery for me to review. I started the book and was somewhat confused at first. I had the feeling that I was missing something like a chapter or two. I restarted the book and the result was the same. There were multiple perspectives that were choppy and transitions were murky. It was a mystery within a mystery but author Julia Heaberlin started to clear the path to a mystery thriller that transforms into a fascinating near true crime novel.
Told from the point of view of three people, this Texas murder-mystery is much like the tornados in Texas, slow and steady at first but once it gains full force, no one or place is unaffected.
Some fifteen years ago, teenager Wyatt Branson's father and sister go missing and are presumed dead. With no other suspects, the town and court of public opinion have always believed that Wyatt was guilty. As the law in Texas states, someone has to pay.
Wyatt has lived in near isolation after his families disappearance only leaving for his house as a tractor trailer driver.
Driving the open highway on a clear, sunny day allows Wyatt to see everything including the girl laying in a field near the side of the road. This can't be good for Wyatt to stop but his conscience tells him to do the right thing and stop.
Wyatt realizes that she is alive but needs help. Unfortunately when you are already a perceived murderer, taking a young girl to the hospital or doctor's office is out of the question.
Wyatt has one option, call the only person in town that you trust and believes in your innocence. Odette Tucker, was Wyatt's high school girlfriend and now a local cop. That's right, Wyatts one defender in this Texas town is a cop that comes from a long line of law enforcement officers. In fact, the family's yellow house, where Odette resides is nicknamed The Blue House.
Odette has been on a mission to solve the mystery of the disappearance of Wyatt's sister, Trumanell, and his father.  She takes Wyatt's call and heads to the house to find another mystery on her hands.
A young and traumatized teenage girl, who is bloody and beaten, is laying on Wyatt's sofa. She won't speak and theres something physically wrong with her.
Odette now has two mysteries on her hands. It's a race against time to solve the mystery of this girls identity before the town passes judgement on Wyatt again.
By now this slow-burn of a thriller is on fire and it goes from a follow the speed limit drive down the highway to an all out drag race.
There is more than one surprise in this book including the person who is the third point of view which is why it's worth preserving through the beginning. James Baldwin once said, "You go into a book and you're really in the dark, really. You go in with a certain fear and trembling. You know one thing. You know you will not be the same person when this voyage is over. But you don't know whats going to happen to you between getting on the boat and stepping off."
I can tell you that Julia Heaberlin's, We Are All the Same in the Dark, is a boat ride that starts out in a dense fog but journeys along the water to much clearer skies ahead.
I received an advance copy of this book from NetGalley. #NetGalley #WeAreAlltheSameintheDark
In the decade since Trumanell Branson disappeared, leaving only a bloody handprint behind, her brother Wyatt has been found guilty in the court of public opinion. Her legend is apparent, from the posters that still hang, as the town clings to the hope that Trumanell will come home. When Wyatt finds a girl, surrounded by dandelions, will the discovery fuel the flames of his sister's disappearance once again? Will Odette Tucker, now a police officer but once Wyatt's friend, tie together the missing pieces of the past to put the disappearance to rest?

We Are All the Same in the Dark is a slow building novel, with just too much going on to be a cohesive story. The twist that becomes the eventual conclusion is not one that I necessarily guessed, but comes too late in a book for which my interest is lost. Wyatt's story is compelling enough on its own, so the addition of the plot lines with Odette and Angel just serve to muddy the story. There are missing pieces that are never filled in, critical parts of the plot that might have been great for giving the investigation a little life. The characters have a lot of background, but they are not really developed enough to become lifelike. For these reasons, I would be hesitant to recommend We Are All the Same in the Dark to other readers.

Disclaimer: I was given an Advanced Reader's Copy of We Are All the Same in the Dark by NetGalley and the publisher, Ballantine Books. The decision to review this novel was entirely my own.
Absolutely must read ,drew me in kept me turning the pages.Twists turns kept me guessing till the end.#netgalley #randomhouse
at first, this book was really hard to get into, and I found myself being off-put by the slowness of the first couple of chapters. However, I guarantee you it's worth it because once you reach the middle, you'll be hooked. the middle-end sections of the book were well-paced, and I couldn't put the book down after! the plot is really well developed, and the characters are convincing and just so well thought out.
A great fats paced thriller that kept me up at night, eager to find out how it would end. The characters are relatable and the mystery keeps you on your toes. I highly recommend this book.
This one is a must read!  It most certainly exceeded my expectations!  I need to read everything by this author!
I am finally getting around to reviewing this book after many months of finishing so my review will reflect.

A decade old disappearance of a small town beauty queen has the town on edge and the rumors abound of what happened to her. The center of it all is her brother Wyatt. A suspect of his sister's disappearance. When he finds a young girl that only says a few words surrounded by dandelions and is one-eye to boot, it brings back that terrible day. Odette Tucker comes from a line of cops of the small town and remembers the day Trumanell disappeared. What she thought she saw and what she did. Tucker takes to the mysterious one eye girl and the connection she represents to the case that was never solved. Tucker also questions who the girl is and what happened to her as she seems not to trust anyone.

The relationship between the 3 was the catalyst for me. Several things that are going on. You want to know how these three are really connected. Who they really are. And nothing is what it seems.

The connection for me on these three was the guilt each faced and the redemption that they found.

A special thank you to Random House Publishing and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.
I received a free digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Great plot!!! I love the cover and the characters.

Thank you kindly to the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for this review copy.
This book was a slow burn for me. I wanted to love it so bad but I felt like certain parts of the story tended to drag on which made me lose interest. The synopsis sounded so good and I wanted to love this book but it just fell a little flat.
We Are All the Same in the Dark is a bit of a slow start, but I would recommend pushing through because it does pick up. Once I got to that point, this story and its characters took hold and didn't let go. This one is told from three points of view, and I'll just tell you, the blurb didn't exaggerate. This is one twisty psychological thriller. It's dark, it's sinister, it's intense, it's impossible to put down once it has you in its grip. It's a rare find when a psychological thriller is this chilling, and Julia Heaberlin certainly kept me on my toes - another rare find for me because I can usually see the twists coming. So, what started out a little bit slow picked up and took even this jaded reader by surprise. Dark and twisted? Yes. Well written? Definitely. A recommended read? Without a doubt. If you like psychological thrillers that make the hairs on your arm stand up and keep you awake until the wee hours of the night, then you don't want to miss this one.
A well written story with well developed characters. A 5 star book that is a must read! This is my first read by this author.
Title: After All Ive Done
Author: Mina Hardy
⭐⭐⭐⭐
Thank you @netgalley and Mina Hardy for giving me the chance to review After All Ive Done. I really enjoyed this read, it had a great story line. Its not as dark as I normally like but it was a shocker. It kept me wanting more, to find out what had happened with the accident and what Dianne couldnt remember.

#netgalley #review #mystery #suspense #afterallivedone #mindahardy #keepreading #bookblogger #booksofinstagram #bookreview
We Are All the Same in the Dark is a great title for this book. Because it's about a gutsy young woman with a missing leg and a another gutsy young girl with a missing eye. I love that title. But this is a complex mixture of criminal operation and police work in trying to solve it. Odette is the police officer who tries to figure out who killed her best friend and Odette boyfriend's, at the time, sister.  And there are some she is confused about. She doesn't know who to trust among these people.  One being her ex boyfriend and her partner at the police department.  The other gutsy girl is a girl Odette tries to help because that's what Odette does. She tries to help. Those in death and those alive. This is a great criminal fiction drama. You will not know who did the deed until the very end and I mean the very end. I didn't figure it out anyway and I always love to try to see if I can figure it out.  Nope, not this one.... I want to thank #NetGalley and the publishers of #WeAreAllTheSameInTheDark for the opportunity to read and review with my honest opinion.
This book was very hard to get into. There were multiple perspectives that in my opinion weren’t handled very well, so it was hard to remember what was happening and who was speaking. However, I did like the mystery and thought it was interesting and unique. 1/5 stars
Perfectly suspenseful, wonderfully creepy, and beautifully written. I loved this literary thriller and wish I could find more books like this one. It's rare to find a thriller/mystery that keeps you on the edge of your seat AND has an engaging and compelling story to go along with it. This is one I'll be recommending many times in the future.
This is my first time reading something written by Heaberlin and I'm hooked, which means I happily have a backlist of books to read!

I went into this totally blind and it's what I recommend. It's a slower paced mystery that had me flipping those pages quickly.  It's  part  mystery/thriller/suspense and crime/police procedural fiction and reads like a fascinating true crime story.  With 3 POVs, I was worried I'd get confused, but was relieved to find it much easier than expected.  it was nice and twisty, but no twists were over the top. I loved all the wonderfully flawed characters and, as someone who is disabled, I truly appreciated the multiple disabilities in this story. Heaberlin clearly did a lot of research in the fields of the disabilities she wrote about, and did a phenomenal job of highlighting the strengths in these characters. I'm sure that the multiple disabilities will be off-putting to some, and it could've been for me as well if she hadn't written so beautifully about those characters.

I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys a more lyrical, atmospheric slow burn mystery/crime fiction. Don't go into this one with expectations and I think you'll enjoy it even more.

Thank you NetGalley and Ballantine books for my e-galley in exchange for my honest thoughts.