Cover Image: Cinderella Is Dead

Cinderella Is Dead

Cinderella is Dead by Kalynn Bayron needs to be in every middle and high school classroom. A twist on Cinderella, with a little HandMaid's tale thrown in, plus some dictatorship from North Korea, the story demonstrates to use the power of girls and women breaking down the constructs around us. The female love story was a nice addition as well. Bayron could have developed the character's motivations more throughout the story, but overall, this is a must have in classrooms.
This is a great book! I loved the badass main character and the LGBT twist on the traditional story. I love a fairy tale retelling and Bayron does a great job with this story.
CINDERELLA IS DEAD is the queer taking-down-the-patriarchy story that makes living in this world worth it. If you enjoy fairytales, queer girls loving girls, and taking down the cliches, please read this novel!
What an interesting spin on the classic Cinderella story! I’m a sucker for a fairytale retelling and this one immediately caught my eye.

It was interesting to see the impact the Cinderella story had in this world.  I could have done with a little more backstory or world building to really feel immersed in this world, but the author does give a general idea for the reader to work with, and it builds a bit as the story goes on.  My favorite twist to this retelling was the fairy godmother! I don’t want to give anything away by explaining further, but it was definitely a unique take on the tale we are all familiar with.

Sophia lives in a world run by men, where women are treated as little more than animals.  When she is summoned to the Annual Ball – where men get to choose their wives from the pool of young women – she decides she doesn’t want this life, and begs the girl she is in love with to run away with her.  But everything gets completely out of hand during the ball and Sophia must leave on her own.

Sophia is a badass.  She is tough, smart, and driven to change the world she lives in for the better.  I loved following along on her journey and watching her kick the world in the butt.  But she doesn’t do it on her own.  Sophia finds help in a stranger named Constance, the last direct descendant of Cinderella.  Constance is a firecracker! I saw a lot of myself in her character.  She has a temper, holds a bit of a grudge, but is a softy underneath.  And the relationship between Sophia and Constance was exciting as it grew stronger.  Without giving too much away, Sophia and Constance go through so many obstacles and make interesting allies in order to take on the king, who is hiding a big secret.

Overall, this was a really enjoyable read.  I do think it suffered just a tad from not building up the world a bit more.  A lot can be inferred, but there were many times I felt pulled out of the story to contemplate the world and how things came to be the way they are.  I loved the characters of Sophia and Constance, but my favorite character was the fairy godmother.  I think this book does an excellent job as a sort of social commentary, though it does tend to go to the extremes.
This feminist take is a Cinderella twisted fairy tale with fascinating origin story and will have readers cheering the characters as they take on the patriarchy.
This was honestly only a 3 star for me. I had a lot of hopes going into thid book but it just didn't work. I found the chacters to be flat, and I honestly didn't like how many of the relationships were handled.
I love fairy tale retellings, and this ARC seems like it will be a unique take on Cinderella. However, I could not get into the writing. This book was mostly written with a passive voice instead of an active. Thus, the story was mostly told rather than shown. Also, I feel like the author did not spend much detail on the world-building because it left me confused and complicated. Still, I recommend anyone that love fairy tales to check this out!
Im obsessed with fairy tale retellings and also love grimms original twisty versions. This book was so good!! It was super dark and disturbing and I enjoyed such a unique retelling!
This story will definitely go down as one of the best books that I've read for this year! This author has completely blown my mind with her unique and out-of-this-world spin on Cinderella's tale. I am always excited to devour any book that has diverse and feisty characters that I can easily relate to and this story did not disappoint because I am rather fond of Sophia and Constance. Tagging along with these two awesome young women was the highlight of my Friday night book binge session because I felt as though I was right by their side as they worked together to bring down the patriarchy and all that it stands for along with the brutal King who rules Lille. I also had a front row seat to the undeniable chemistry and attraction that was sparking between Sophia and Constance. I can't wait for this author to release another story because she has become one of my new favorite authors!
Great story and loved the slight romance. Really enjoyed the characters and how the plot moved and how the characters changed throughout the book. I would read this author again.
I enjoyed the story and thought the premise showed a lot of promise. I do think that the story could have been developed a little more especially the climax.
3.5 stars.

This is a pretty solid fairytale reimagining. I liked the characters and the twisted world/kingdom this took place in. I also enjoyed the sapphic romance between Constance (who’s basically Merida) and Sophia.

Unfortunately, by the last 30% or so I started to lose interest and I definitely skimmed through the last 50 pages or so. I feel like Bayron could have gone so much further with this story. The characters needed more development, as did the world and magic system. This ended up being a bit too simplistic if that makes sense. The pacing was also off at times. I just expected so much more based off of the synopsis.

**Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing an e-arc in exchange for an honest review**
This book has been getting a lot of buzz so I was excited to get a chance to read it. The twist on the tale of Cinderella was very interesting and Clever. Love the new take and how we didn’t know what to expect from the characters we all know.
I'm always a fan of darker, grittier retellings of well-known fairy tales, especially when they're written by authors of color and include a cast of BIPOC and queer characters. Cinderella Is Dead provides timely social commentary while also prodding further into the classic tale of Cinderella, and puts the power into the hands of the people that society has fought so hard to oppress. While the characters and execution of the story fell a little flat for me, I think this is a great book for anyone who knows what it feels like to fight for the very right to exist.
I love Cinderella and when I saw this was a diverse and dark retelling , I was 100% all in. This book was set 200 years after Cinderella with some awesome diversity including POC and LGBTQ+ representation. This story was quite different and had a darker feel then what you would associate with Cinderella which is what I loved about it. The thing I didn't love was the pacing and some unrealistic situations. But with that said I had fun reading it! 3.75/5 stars.
I'm a huge fan of fairytale retellings and this one is such a unique take on Cinderella. This book definitely wasn't what I expected, but I still absolutely enjoyed it.

What I loved:

1. Sophia's character was so well written and a complete badass (she completely took on the task of dismantling the Prince Charming patriarchy). It was so easy to root for her and her friends throught this story.

2. This book has great representation of queer love with an awesome heroine of color. ❤ I love that publishers are prioritizing books like this and I hope to see more like this in the very near future.

3. This was a fast paced YA fantasy that I found completely entertaining. While some aspects are predictable, this is definitely worth picking up. Even though this one is 400 pages I finished it in two sittings.

If you're looking for a face paced fairytale retelling with diverse characters, look no further than Cinderella is Dead.
200 years after Cinderella met prince Charming and things are NOT good in Lille. Women are not allowed any choice in who they marry, in fact they are basically auctioned off at the annual ball in a twisted mockery of a fairy tale, and being same-sex oriented is a crime punishable by death, as are many other things like, women having any money, using weapons, or even being out of their homes after 8PM.
But there are always those who will rebel against unjust laws... and this is their story.
I love a good retelling and found this one fun and enjoyable!  I loved the amount of diversity in this book, but think the story missed a lot of opportunities for nuance and character development.  Sophia fell flat for me, and the proposed revolution didn’t feel realistic; it seemed like a revolution because that’s what the book thought it had to be about.  I did enjoy Constance’s character and liked the ornate descriptions.
I’m a huge fan of fairytale retellings, especially if it’s sapphic. So when I first read the blurb for this book I immediately put it on my most anticipated list of 2020.

While I don’t believe it reached my most anticipation expectations, I do need to admit that I finished this quickly. I didn’t want to stop. Sophia was a great main character, and I enjoyed her growth and her strength. The world building was a bit lacking for me, and the secondary characters, and even the love interest, needed more depth to them.

But overall I did very much enjoyed reading this book. Will definitely be keeping an eye out for this author.
I had extremely high hopes for this one because the premise is really fucking good. And while I am often tired of seeing the same tropes and stories being recycled over and over again, this doesn't apply when a well-known concept is reinvented through a queer or otherwise diverse lens. When I started reading I was instantly in awe. The writing was piercing, the words sharp like a needle and I loved how the first chapters built this cruel, patriarchal world in which it was impossible for a young, queer woman to strive or live without fear. But then it went downhill rather quickly. It was a mix of things but my biggest problem was that the plot was all over the place. There were many plot holes - to this day I still wonder why the love interest just happened to have a spare set of clothes stored in an empty chapel - and soon the characters fell flat too. And the world building. And even the romance. It feels like the editor paid close attention to the first few chapters and then sent the manuscript to the printer without giving it a second thought.

In the end it's a great concept with endless potential and a shining beginning but it ultimately failed to convince me.