Cover Image: The New Homemade Kitchen

The New Homemade Kitchen

Anyone interesting in getting back to basics, sort of like commune living, will appreciate Joseph Shuldiner’s cookbook, The New Homemade Kitchen: 250 Recipes and Ideas for Reinventing the Art of Preserving, Canning, Fermenting, Dehydrating, and More (Recipes for ... Staples, Gift for Home Cooks and Chefs) by Joseph Shuldiner.

One of the best things about this book is that it not only gives recipes for things we normally purchase at the supermarket, but also very detailed information on those items, i.e., in the pickle section there is a page on “What makes a pickle.” The book includes dozens of explanation of this type, and those who cook, and want to keep learning and improving, will appreciate the knowledge.

Who has every thought of making their own Worcestershire sauce? Shuldiner has, and has put it out there for us. How about homemade Sriracha? Or flavored mustard? Or Horseradish? Those recipes are all there, as well as ricotta cheese, snack crackers, and kimchi. It seems Shuldiner has included everything we haven’t thought to make in our home kitchens and placed it in this cookbook.

There is a great salad dressing mix, similar to the well-known Good Seasons, and it’s easy to make. Preserved lemons are very expensive when you can find them, and are absolutely necessary when preparing Moroccan tagines; that recipe is here and easy to follow. Homemade chocolate hazelnut spread, powdered and brown sugar, and sugar cubes, yogurt, milk kefir, butter, cheese, bacon, sausages – this book has it all.

Coffee and caffeinated drinks will be much better after reading the information and following instructions to make your own. Good information on canning, pickling, and preserving foods, as well as sourdough and breads including tortillas, waffles, pasta, and others made with special flours.

Highly recommended for cooks who have a need to go back to basics and want to make things completely from scratch. The information included is fascinating, and those serious about cooking grass roots style will love this book.

Special thanks to NetGalley for supplying a review copy of this book.
This is a big book, with big information and big ideas.
This book is not just a recipe book, but a very interesting read on the bases of the stuff we use to make, cook, ferment, dehydrate, pickles & preserves. There are recipes and lots of information with chapters on grains, spirits, dairy, meat/fish and caffeine. It is a book to pick up and read time over time, with always something interesting to learn from it. With many tips and very useful information, I really like the sections on making brown sugar, handmade mustard and other pantry items.
This is a beautiful, DIY type of guide for fermenting, canning, preserving, and creating your own ingredients, and I was delighted to see a recipe for sauerkraut in it!! What's not to like in a book of this type, you can be your own and your family's hero!! This book supplies all the information and the know-how, which leaves you with the smarts to preserve it!  It'll be a must-have in my kitchen!
The New Homemade Kitchen is a comprehensive reference and recipe collection for foodcrafting by the late Joseph Shuldiner. Due out 2nd June 2020 from Chronicle Books, it's 352 pages and will be available in hardcover and ebook formats.

This is the magnum opus of the director of the Institute of Domestic Technology and contains a solid array of recipes and tutorials for many nearly lost kitchen arts. Covering pantry staples, coffee technology, pickling & preserving, processing grains, dairy, meats & fish, spirits, fermentation, and dehydration - it's an encyclopedic reference book and will go beside The Joy of Cooking and my Ball Blue Book. During this pandemic, when I've been stressed and longing for some continuity and normalcy, cooking and being productive in the kitchen has been a real stress reliever and source of comfort. The idea of "slow food" and of taking control of the processing of our own ingredients makes more sense than ever (and prevents the necessity of "just running out to the grocery store to buy pre-processed items).

The chapters contain techniques for making basic staples (including selecting beans and DIY coffee roasting and grinding - wizardry!). The following recipes highlight and showcase the finished ingredients. Each of the recipes includes an introductory description, ingredients listed in a bullet point sidebar (US measurements given, with metric in parentheses), and step by step instructions. There is no nutritional info provided. The recipes are photographed very well and clearly. Serving suggestions are attractive and appropriate.

The author has also included a resource list and an abbreviated bibliography and reference lists for further reading. The index is cross referenced and includes ingredients and recipes.

I adored the no-waste aesthetic of the book and the gentle, accessible, humorous voice of the author really makes me wish I'd been able to take a class or three with his guidance.

Five stars. Superlative reference book.

Practicality is what I look for in any cookbook or kitchen guide and this book abounds in practicality. Walking the reader through setting up their own homemade pantry to deep diving into coffee and the fine art of grains. The combination of institute history and recipes to get back to the basics make this a very intriguing book for anyone looking for a more homemade kitchen. I look forward to trying out several of the preserve recipes in the fermentation chapter! A must add book to any library collection featuring practical guides for back to the basics.
I don't know what came to me but I started to enjoy reading cookbooks. I don't cook that much, I have to admit, but I find comfort among the pages of a nicely written recipe book.

The new Homemade kitchen had everything you need to know if you decide to become a serious cook and do everything yourself. The author shows the readers how to become an expert in different techniques that an enthusiast home chef might need. These include preservation, fermentation, curing of meat and fish, making alcoholic drinks (my favorite section), making coffee (my 2nd favorite), making diary, bread and dehydration. The recipes are detailed and seem easy to follow but I would not recommend this book to a beginner.

Aspect wise, there are some pictures at the beginning of each chapter showing some of the recipes but most of the book is text. For people that prefer cookbooks with lots of pictures they will probably be disappointed in this one.

All in all, it is a good cooking technique encyclopedia to have at home if you are very serious about cooking

P.s. It does have the recipe for sourdough, banana bread is sadly missing.
The New Homemade Kitchen by Joseph Shuldiner is a really good cookbook. It teaches you the way to make foods from scratch. Anything from sausage to condiments to spice combinations. This cookbook also suggests more than one combination of spices to acquire the taste you want. There are some really great recipes to try too! If you are interested in cooking from scratch using different combinations of homemade ingredients this one is for you! I collect cookbooks and I will soon include this one is my collection. Oh, and the illustrations are beautiful and look tasty. Enjoy!
With beautiful full color photos, and easy to follow directions, THE NEW HOMEMADE KITCHEN will be a hit with all those who like making everything fresh and homemade!
This was a very informative and interesting introduction to canning and preserving with lots of recipes and tons of GORGEOUS photos. I don't cook a lot but I'll admit that this book made me want to try my hand at a few of these recipes, especially now that I am stuck at home for the time being. A great cookbook!
The book contains recipes for staples that you usually think of buying from the grocery store.  How to make various kinds of mustards, mayonnaise, etc.  There are recipes for making pickled foods, but it also gives you ideas for altering the recipe to fit your likes.  The same for jams, breads and yogurt.  It's a recipe book and an inspiration book.
This was an ARC copy from Netgalley.
Due to the limitations governed by this 2020 virus, this book came along at a perfect time.  The recipes are creative and directions are easy to follow. There wasn’t anything that I felt I didn’t have the skills to create. All of the recipes fit into our lifestyle and can easily be carried into busier schedules.
Okay. Flat out, this one goes next to my Joy of Cooking, and Good Housekeeping cookbooks.
It does not cover every recipe in the world. Nor does it just cover one subject.
Instead it tackles a great number of recipes such as preserved lemons...then gives you recipes to use them in!
There is cheese, yogurt, bread starter and bread recipes. Powder recipes: beet, mushroom and one called Umami cocaine that sounds wonderful and useful Recipes to make gravlax , bacon and more.
How to grind and roast your own coffee.
I love the snippets of history about the institute as you go and all of the tips about equipment needs and so many other useful hints.
As I said, it is Not Joy of Cooking., , it does not pretend to cover every topic but it is wonderful nonetheless.
Chock full of wonderful recipes and gorgeous, mouth-watering photos, THE NEW HOMEMADE KITCHEN will inspire you to pickle, preserve, and create tasty recipes from scratch -- including corn tortillas, matzah, bacon, ricotta, and cocktails! The recipes are easy to follow for at-home chefs like me. A must-have addition for any kitchen.
Very informative with good recipes. Lot of good information about canning and preserving in this book. As someone who wants to learn to preserve, this book is definitely something i will be referencing as I go.
Wow - What a valuable resource! I can think of multiple reasons to buy this book. For people who have disorders and have to really watch what goes inside their body, people who are interested in what they put inside, and those with historical interest in food, even survivalists...this is for you. I was fascinated by the entire book. With the right tools and ingredients, the reader can literally make anything, I think. I want to own this.
As a young home maker, my reference for any recipe was my grandmother.  Now I'm the grandmother so I have to do research the old fashioned way, read and experiment.  This book is a very good, bordering on genius, reference for any cook looking to expand their knowledge and learn new processes along the way.  I've dabbled in pickling but am now incorporating more vegetables into my home garden with the specific goal of pickling them...we will see how they turn out.  This would make an excellent mothers day gift.
Neatly categorised with practical tips on everything from fermentation to dehydration and everything in between, the book covers a lot of ground. I found it particularly interesting that there are sections dedicated to coffee, dairy and even spirits with simple recipes, interesting flavor combinations and clear-cut instructions on how to achieve the perfect result. Yet to try any recipes but bookmarked many.
First of all I love to be in kitchen. I can spend there all day. And I like reading books about food and how-to or why-is-this-or-that.. At the first glance I thought it will be an old school boring cookbook because the cover said so (just my impression). As I finished reading this, indeed this book contains very basic recipes that sometimes we forgot to question how to make that at the first place because we have get used to buy from the stores. For examples mayonaise and ketchup. Who is still making those from scratch? But... This book is very good at explaining things in short. By reading this I know-how some things are prepared. Not just recipes, but there are many trivias about each topic which I like. I would say this is an education book for a home cooks. I enjoy reading this book. But I'm not sure I would follow the recipes. But this book is good as reference for me before making things, if I have to look up on recipes, I would look up on YouTube for more visual explanation.
The New Homemade Kitchen has lots of information, inspiring recipes, beautiful photos and tips and tricks to help you out in terms of canning and such. The downside is that I wish the photos were with the actual recipe and not in a row the way it was in this book.
When life for the entire globe turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed,  superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

Revive the lost arts of fermenting, canning, preserving, and creating your own ingredients. The Institute of Domestic Technology Cookbook is a collection of 250 recipes, ideas, and methods for stocking a kitchen, do-it-yourself food-crafting projects, and cooking with homemade ingredients.

The chapters include instructions on how to make your own food products and pantry staples, as well as recipes highlighting those very ingredients—for example, make your own feta and bake it into a Greek phyllo pie, or learn how to dehydrate leftover produce and use it in homemade instant soup mixes.

• Each chapter includes instructions to make your own pantry staples, like ground mustard, sourdough starter, and miso paste.
• Complete with recipes that utilize the very ingredients you made
• Filled with informative and helpful features like flavour variation charts, extended tutorials, faculty advice, and instructional line drawings

Also included are features like food-crafting charts, historical tidbits, 100+ photos and illustrations, how-tos, and sidebars featuring experts and deans from the Institute, including LA-based cheese-makers, coffee roasters, butchers, and more.

From the Institute of Domestic Technology, a revered food-crafting school in Los Angeles, each chapter is based on the school's curriculum and covers all manners of techniques—such as curing, bread-baking, cheese-making, coffee-roasting, butchering, and more.

• Complete with beautiful food photography, this well-researched and comprehensive cookbook will inspire chefs of all levels.
• Great gift for food-crafters, food geeks, food pioneers, farmers' market shoppers, as well as people who feel nostalgic for a slower way of life
• Add it to the collection of books like Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking by Samin Nosrat; The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science by J. Kenji López-Alt; and The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making by Alana Chernila

I have to start off with this:
****************************************
---Food -crafters?   Sounds like something for Instagrammed-obsessed millennial "influencers".
---Institute of Domestic Technology? Maybe in the 1940s-50s this might have been a politically correct name, now it just sounds like something my uber-feminist niece would go off on. I am not a feminist and it insults me so is the name supposed to be tongue-in-cheek??

I was on the fence with this book: although I can appreciate everything that is taught in their classes and in this book, I am a firm believer of supporting local farmers. My grandfather was a farmer and if everyone made foods with items from the supermarket he would have starved along with the rest of the family. I state the supermarket vs. a farmer's market as so many people don't have access to fresh local produce year-round or cannot afford to buy artisanal vegetables (or farm-fresh milk).

The recipes are instructions are interesting but to me, this is a coffee table book for lovers of food who wish that they had the time, money and effort to make their own cheese, beer, miso, etc. I am lucky to have access to two local farmer's markets and one of them even has its own coffee roastery - but I don't think I would ever make anything in this book.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 2.5🍑 rounded up to 🍑🍑🍑