Cover Image: A Duke, the Lady, and a Baby

A Duke, the Lady, and a Baby

It might just be a personal preference, but I had an issue with the point of view. The author writes in both 1st and 3rd person POV, and while I'm sure some readers might not mind that, I found it off-putting.

The heroine's journey is really interesting, but don't let that cute cover fool you... it's a lot darker than what I was expecting. I've enjoyed other books by Vanessa Riley and I'm definitely interested in reading more from her in the future, but I'm not sure if I'll read the remaining books in the particular series.

⭐⭐⭐ 1/2
Vanessa Riley was a featured author in the Summer BBQ Recipe Roundup on the FreshFiction.com blog. You can see her contribution here: https://freshfiction.com/page.php?id=10711
I liked this story , it wasn't bad , but I had higher expectations of the book after reading the blurb .
The writing style was excellent , I'm definitely going to check out more books by this author.
I would recommend this book for all historical romance loves.
I know a lot of people really enjoyed this one but to be honest I had a hard time staying interested. A big part for me was I just didn’t feel the love story was anything special. It was pretty superficial in my opinion. The intrigue was ok, I just wish there was a bit more steam.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for the arc. All opinions are my own.
I really enjoyed Patience and Busick's story! An undercover mama doing everything in her power to get her child back and a wounded war hero. I couldn't put it down!
I’m newer to the romance world. While this is a fine book with good writing I found out that Regency Romances aren’t for me. If you enjoy them then I have no doubt you’ll enjoy this book.

Thank you to the Publisher and Netgalley for the advanced e-reader copy. All opinions expressed are my own.
This is a great read for those who love Regency Romances and want something with low steam and some intrigue. The physical attraction between the characters seems to dominate most of their inner thoughts until her main secret is revealed. Then their romance moves into more of a love match and partnership.  Commentary on the racism and misogyny of the time and place are included as part of the plot and dialogue and it does touch on a little bit of faith. This is first in a series and includes a section at the end with historical notes and a recipe.
3.25

I mainly listened to this novel on audiobook. Thanks to Kensington Publishing Corporation and NetGalley for the e-galley. My ratings and reviews are my own.
I listened to this via Scrib'd. I knew that I enjoyed Riley's writing, but my experience with her had only been a short story, that left me wanting more. This was a full novel, and while it did go on a bit too long I really enjoyed it. This was not a steamy romance, it was a bumbling dragged out, secret heavy romance where the  got to know each other and had to find trust under all of the secrets. Their hearts were in the right place and you couldn't help rooting for them. It was also funny, I think the humor was a bit more difficult to find with the chosen narrator though. I liked this so much that I immediately picked up the sequel.
I hate that it took me so long to get around to reading this one. I absolutely adored it! I'm impatiently waiting for the next installment.
2.5 out of 5. More mystery than romance. I’m debating over whether I want to continue the series now that my expectations have been adjusted. We meet the characters to be featured in book 2 here so I am a bit intrigued as to how their story will play out. But there was zero heat in this book (not even fade to black or closed door) so it would def be a mood read. I guess we’ll see…
This has been on my NetGalley shelf for TOO long! I’ve started it several times - book eBook and then the audiobook. It just wasn’t for me. I’m not a super big fan of historical romanceI listened to this via @HooplaDigita on 3X speed just trying to get through it.

Thanks to @NetGalley and Kensington Books for my ARC!
I was provided this book in exchange for an honest review. A Duke, the Lady, and a Baby is the story of  Patience Jordan, a widow who poses as a nursemaid to care for her son, who has been placed under the guardianship of Busick Strathmore, Duke of Repington. The book is fast paced and reads like a movie script. This did not work for me.
A historical romance and a royal story is a big must read for me. A Duke, the Lady, and a Baby is somewhat posses a real life scenario of a classic family. I just have an issue connecting to the characters and i feel disconnected to some parts but over all, it is a great read!
The best thing about this book, besides it’s fetching cover (everyone judges by the cover at first), is it’s characters. Patience is a West Indian woman who married an English noble. After his death, she is blamed for murder when she questions what was supposed to be written off as suicide. Because of this, she loses everything, including her newborn son. Buswick is a war veteran. His is a story I’ve read before. However, while I have often read about the isolation involved with returning home wounded, it is not often that the actual daily pain and struggles are addressed. I can think of one other novel that attempts to do so. So, A Duke, A Lady, abs a Baby is a standout in the regency romance world for attempting to tell a story that is often overlooked for being about the outlier. To me, that fact makes it all the more intriguing.

Aside from its use of diversity, I did not love the actual plot, but it’s more of a personal preference than a shortcoming of the novel. I’m not overly keen when my romance deals with mystery, which is the case for this one. Patience, moves into Buswick’s estate for the job of caring for her own child. Buswick is her late husband’s cousin and guardian to her child. They join together to investigate what happened to him. So, between the oppressive feelings I had about her being railroaded and the seriousness required of any mystery, the story lacks the requisite amount of levity to make it truly enjoyable.

I read romance for the HEA. I read it to let go. I wasn’t able to do that with this one as much as I would have liked. Hopefully, there are more romances written about outliers that are about more than struggle. I’m glad Riley recognizes that more people deserve a HEA, but I hope she realizes that it does not have to be so hard won to be believable. Injustice gets a different fire burning.

I was given this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
Oh, I really enjoyed this one! Riley is a new to me author and I can't wait to read more of her books. I am still finding my way into historical romance and this is a great read for someone newer to the subgenre.
A Duke, The lady and a baby
2 stars

I was excited to read this but it starts off in the middle of the story and you are lost immediately. I don’t know why it would start off with Patience trying to kidnap her child. She is on a ledge and we have guess what is happening. We don’t know her husband died and she has been forced out:  you are playing catch up the remainder of the book, it’s very off putting. When you finally do get adjusted there really isn’t a plot.
This was hard to finish. I just didn’t enjoy it.
Unconventional and charming, this story is driven by a delightfully tenacious heroine and grouchy but likable hero. Patience is a mixed-race Caribbean heiress, betrayed by a greedy in-law. She is willing to disguise herself in order to steal a few precious minutes with her son, from whom she is forcibly separated. Things change with the arrival of her late husband's cousin, the Duke and guardian of her son. They first meet while Patience is in disguise, and early sparks of camaraderie quickly turn to a low flame of attraction that simmers pleasingly as the story develops. Patience's quest to reunite with her son is assisted by appealing secondary characters, one of them a Duchess with a secret society dedicated to aiding widows, the other a misunderstood mathematical talent. Riley's prose is sometimes lyrically descriptive, and the story's pacing is occasionally languid, in tune with the slow development of the relationship. The Duke, a military veteran, is an amputee and his struggles to become accustomed to living with a disability seem fairly realistic for the period. The impact of racism seems less realistic; explicit references to the rude remarks and gendered racial stereotypes of the time (both those documented in primary source documents and Thackeray's VANITY FAIR) are scarce in the first quarter of the novel, depriving readers of useful context. Despite this, it's a refreshingly different and engaging read. As a Librarian I'd recommend this novel to romance readers that prefer 'sweet' romances with a low heat index; cozy mystery fans; readers new to the historical romance genre; and readers in search of ethnically diverse historical romance.
I am a member of the American Library Association Reading List Award Committee. This title was suggested for the 2021 list. It was not nominated for the award. The complete list of winners and shortlisted titles is at <a href="https://rusaupdate.org/2021/02/2021-reading-list-years-best-in-genre-fiction-for-adult-readers/">
This novel follows West Indian heiress, Patience Jordan, after the death of her husband who is a Duke in England. She is forced to leave her infant son to be taken care of by a new guardian, and she is not allowed to see him. With the help of a group of ladies called The Widow's Grace, Patience ends up being hired as a nurse for her own son and works in the house that she used to run. While there is a dash of mystery and romance sprinkled in throughout the novel, at the heart of it, I considered this a story about a mother's love for her child.

I haven't read a whole lot of books in this genre of historical/regency romance, and I found the storyline entertaining but also predictable. I do watch a lot of PBS/BBC shows set in this era, so it could be that I was wishing this was more like a TV show.

This is the first novel in a series and I look forward to seeing what the next book has in store.

A huge thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for the gifted e-book in exchange for an honest review!
An absolutely delightful book. Coming off of the success of Bridgerton on Netflix this is a title that I know will fly off the shelves.