Cover Image: The Midwest Native Plant Primer

The Midwest Native Plant Primer

A nice guide to native planting - how to choose the perfect plants for your location and things to consider such as water availability and soil type.  Other considerations such as aesthetics, garden type (rock garden, butterfly garden, etc.) are mentioned as well.  This book includes 225 plants (trees, shrubs and flowers) with full color photos, and a detailed description.  Each plant also includes an easy icon to indicate its appropriateness for butterfly and/or bird gardens, as well as lighting needs.
I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
This book covers plants in the Midwest American states (Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Missouri). This book also covers about the native plants. This book has amazing pictures, the scientific name, where to plant the plants, and tells if the plants need sun or not. This is very informative book. It also talks about the best plants for the native animals. This book is also great for homeschooling or state notebook. This book is very helpful, and I hope there will be more books for the rest of the regions. I give this book five stars.
I am an experienced gardener, trained by my state University as an Extension Master Gardener and co-write an answer column for my local paper as well as answer questions from the public online. A lot of the questions are because someone did not know about the "right plant. right place". This book addresses this, including looking at the local environment and designing with foliage colors in addition to thinking about the flowers.

It has lots of great information for a newer to intermediate gardener. I used the plant listing while planning a mostly native garden to cover a new septic system. It has a pretty good inventory of trees, shrubs and perennials that included pictures and some of the plusses and minuses of the plant. (Take the "self-sows prolifically" warnings to heart. It can happen to you.) It tells what kind of environment to which the plants are native, so when you see "dry prairie" you know, after reading what that means earlier in the book, that it might not be appropriate for your moist, shady area.

I highly recommend it for someone who is looking at adding to their garden or wondering why theirs isn't looking like they hoped. Although the focus is natives, it provides info valuable to introduced varieties.
Each year I spend A LOT of money on perennials that don’t seem to grow again the following year.  The description caught my eye right away, “ Choose plants native to our Midwest region.  The rewards will benefit you, your yard, and environment--from reducing maintenance tasks to attracting earth-friendly pollinators such as native birds, butterflies, and bees.”   Yes! Yes!  That is exactly what I am trying to do in my little butterfly garden.  As I read through the book I read page after page of great suggestions of plants that will grow in my area.   There are so many plants that grow great in the Midwest however you just need to know which ones.  What I loved about this book is that it had something for every type  of gardener.  If you are looking to create a rock garden or more of a water garden, there are suggestions for that.  If you want more of a prairie garden or my favorite butterfly garden it is all in this book.  The photos are beautiful and there is a great section of the descriptions of all the plants and where and how to best grow them.  If you love gardening and live in the Midwest I highly recommend this book for you.  I know I will be ordering one for myself.  I definitely want a hard copy of the book on my bookshelf for easy reference.
An easy to follow and well organized book. If you are interested at all in habitat restoration or helping land reclamation, this book is for you. Well detailed on tress and flowers and also the best way to grow and plan your garden. Focus is on prairie and forest ecosystems, so do not expect tropical here. Would recommend.
The images in this book are amazing. The information is extremely useful to anyone interested in growing a native garden. I am hoping to convert my flowerbeds into native plants to encourage honeybees. The book provides a breakdown by plant category and describes their growing needs. It is all extremely useful information.
This book is filled with beautiful pictures and descriptions of the plants in the Midwest.   I was able to identify a few of the plants in the field by my house.   I was also able to pick out some plants that I'm really excited to plant in my yard.
This was an free copy from netgalley.
This will be a fantastic reference book for midwesterners! I have little talent for gardening but am trying to learn more. I love the idea of incorporating more plants that are native to the area, and I can see turning to this for advice in planning a beautiful yard!

Thanks to Net Galley and the publisher for an advance digital review copy of this title. All opinions are my own.
This book has great photos and serves as a great reference book. I learned a lot and appreciated that the book is perfect for people who know nothing about horticulture!
A beautiful book to look at, The Midwest Native Plant Primer is a great read for those interested in native landscape and finding plants meant to grow in their particular area of the world. The best part of the book is the very detailed chapters on trees, shrubs, ground cover, etc. with pictures and where they are found. A fun book to page through for anyone interested in midwest gardening or plants native to the midwest.
This book is for people who are looking for information about native plants for landscaping purposes. The author talked about the advantages of using native plants, provided tips on how to grow them successfully, and suggested using these plants specifically to attract beneficial insects, butterflies, or birds. He then provided information on specific native trees, shrubs, groundcovers, perennials and vines that are good for landscaping. Each entry gave the common name and Latin name of the plant, what animals it attracted, where it is usually found in the wild (like woodland understory), amount of light that it likes, some background information, why it is desirable in landscaping (interesting bark, colorful leaves, attracts birds, etc.), and a picture or two of the plant. I'd recommend this book to someone looking for native plant ideas for landscaping purposes.
The Midwest Native Plant Primer: what an accurate title! This beautiful reference book should also have a place of honor on coffee tables of garden enthusiasts, whether Midwesterners or not. The photographs and introductory essays provide inspiration and enjoyment. The encyclopedic sections are beautifully illustrated as well. In all, this is an attractive and useful volume I will gladly recommend.
I live in Oklahoma and try to incorporate as many native plants as I can into my planned beds.  This insures their continuity and makes my gardens so much more  beautiful.  This book gave me many tips and ideas that will soon find their home in my garden.  Excellent book for gardeners of any skill.
I received a copy of this arc from NetGalley for an honest review. Being new to gardening this was a great book to flip through as I am making decisions for our garden at work. We will be buying a copy for sure. Excellent information, great pictures and answered most of my questions.
When life turns on its end and you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed, superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

More homeowners than ever before are adding native plants to their gardens because they are drawn to their amazing benefits. These superstar plants attract wildlife, act as pollinators, require less maintenance, and can better withstand climate change and related weather issues. In The Midwest Native Plant Primer, garden expert Alan Branhagen shares the best plant choices for the Midwest and details how gardeners can grow them successfully.

Introductory chapters cover plant selection, design suggestions, and the benefits of choosing native plants. The bulk of the book is 225 plant entries that include everything a gardener needs to successfully grow these important garden additions. This beginner-friendly, accessible guide is for home gardeners in northern Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, eastern Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

If you love gardening and plants and beautiful backyards, t his is the book for you to read!!  Part of a series, this will help you if you live in the above-mentioned states. The photos are gorgeous and advice is smart and I enjoyed reading about the places I visit and enjoy the gardens of.

I am I the same climate zone as parts of all of these states - Illinois, parts of Michigan/Indiana/ Iowa/ Missouri/Nebraska/Ohios, and tiny bits of Wisconsin and South Dakota. as they split between USDA zones 3,4 & 5) so some of the plants would apply to my garden, which was a bonus for reading this book.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🌸🌺🌹🌷🌼
The Midwest Native Plant Primer: 225 Plants for an Earth-Friendly Garden by Alan Branhagen is a beautiful source of information for home gardening! There are chapters explaining the requirements for plants native to the midwest. The home gardener can choose native plants that will thrive in sun, shade, and prairie. This book includes an expansive list of compatible trees, shrubs, and plants. I really liked the choices for fruit, fragrance and the plants which will be drought tolerant. I love having bees, butterflies, and a variety of birds to visit my garden. This book offers information for planning so many types of gardens such as rock gardens, water gardens, wildflowers, and perennials. The plants are beautifully photographed!
Publication Date: July 7, 2020
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.
This is a perfect book for today's environmentally conscious gardener. We are realizing more and more that many of the trees, shrubs and flowers that we plant provide no real food for wildlife like birds and pollinators, and that it serves us all to change that (keep in mind that putting out food for the birds does no good if they need caterpillars and other insects to feed their babies). Native plants are also well suited to easily grow in our gardens without extra water or care, so they make double sense. This book talks about these issues and then offers a huge selection of recommended trees, shrubs, ground covers, perennials, etc. by group.

I love that the author also talks about edible varieties, since it makes sense not just to feed wildlife but ourselves too with edible landscaping like elderberries, hazelnuts, etc. Small icons above each plant show if they are particularly good for birds, butterflies, etc.

Some of the plants featured are the ONLY food source for some varieties of butterflies (!), and nobody plants them. It is no wonder so many species are going extinct, and so helpful that guides like this can help us try to help these species.

Color photos are provided for every plant, plus tons of information about bloom times, how to propagate them and much more. Many varieties thrive in partial or full shade, which was another pleasant surprise for me.

I love this book, and have a huge list of plants I want to add to my (already full) gardens now.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for the purpose of review.