Cover Image: Confessions on the 7:45: A Novel

Confessions on the 7:45: A Novel

Selena catches her husband in a duplicitous life and confides her unhappy situation to a stranger on a train.  The tangled web of what happens next is compelling and unfathomable.  I love the way the story lines come together in the novel's conclusion.
theburleybibliophile I am super excited to have gotten an #arc of #confessionsonthe745 from @launger @netgalley and @parkrowbooks !!! This book was absolutely amazing with plot twists that keep you turning the pages! #nospoilers but think #strangersonatrain! Make sure to pick this up October 6th!
The synopsis is courtesy of netgalley (I mean, why reinvent the wheel)! Selena Murphy is commuting home from her job in the city when the train stalls out on the tracks. She strikes up a conversation with a beautiful stranger in the next seat, and their connection is fast and easy. The woman introduces herself as Martha and confesses that she’s been stuck in an affair with her boss. Selena, in turn, confesses that she suspects her husband is sleeping with the nanny. When the train arrives at Selena’s station, the two women part ways, presumably never to meet again.

But days later, Selena’s nanny disappears.

Soon Selena finds her once-perfect life upended. As she is pulled into the mystery of the missing nanny, and as the fractures in her marriage grow deeper, Selena begins to wonder, who was Martha really? But she is hardly prepared for what she’ll discover.
A pleasant surprise.  This thriller, mystery is outside of my usual reading preferences, so I was skeptical that I'd enjoy it, but it turned out to be quite a page turner.  I figured out pretty quickly that Pearl is the future Anne, and that Anne was the older sister of Geneva, but all the rest of it, I had no idea until it was revealed in the novel.  This book is definitely a huge complicated web of relationships and connections, and it kept my interest until the last word.  Great read!  Glad I picked this one up.
Thank you Netgalley for the ARC.

It took my about 3 weeks to get through this book. It was so long and boring. So much internal monologues and no action happening.
I didn’t like any of the characters. The story had potential but it fell flat. There were so many names mentioned, I didn’t feel like there was need for that.
Overall it was disappointing.
Selena Murphy is commuting from work one evening, after just watching her husband having an affair with their Nanny, Geneva, on the nanny cam she moved to the kid’s playroom. Upset and confused she confides in a stranger on the train that she thinks her husband is having an affair. The stranger, Martha, in turn confesses she is having an affair with her boss. A few days later Selena’s nanny disappears and Martha starts texting Selena even though Selena never gave her phone number.

This begins a game of cat and mouse with twist and turns in this well written psychological suspense thriller. Told from multiple perspectives, but primary from Selena. This is a cleverly written tale of deceit, infidelity, secrets and murder that takes you on a journey with an ending I never saw coming.

Although this is definitely a great story,  it had some issues with the lack of timelines between chapters. It would have helped if the author would have let us know if we were reading something that happened in the past or the present. Many times I thought things were happening in the present and it was actually the past and vice versa. As a result I was a little lost more than once. I do recommend the book for those that love the genre! This is a good mystery that will leave you guessing until the end.

Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and author, Lisa Unger, for the opportunity to read and give my honest review about this book.
This is only my 2nd book I’ve read by Lisa Unger and I remember I really liked Under My Skin in 2018 so I was ready to dive right in when I got approved from NetGalley. This starts off with a bang so I really was hoping to love it! Lots of sex, infidelities, missing persons, lies ... oh the lies! I found myself getting easily confused with all the characters (it took me 3/4 of the book to figure out who Pearl was. I’m not sure if I missed it or what happened?) I didn’t love this as much as I had hoped. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this early release in exchange for my honest review. To be published October 2020.
I made a mistake and started this at 6pm.....which means I had to stay up well into the night to finish!  The plot was so intricate, and so twisty, you had to follow the breadcrumbs to see where they led.  Such a well written story.
I don’t want to give too much away.  Selena and Graham seem to have the perfect life.  Until their nanny disappears.  This event gives way to secrets and lies that started intertwining well before they married.   Brilliantly executed and sure to keep you up at night, racing to the end!
A good story that starts with a casual encounter aboard a delayed train. It reminded me of the Hitchcock film Strangers on a train, but that's the end of the similarities.
The story moves a good pace, with tension and twists that will leave you angry at yourself for not seeing them sooner!
Overall a good story with believable characters.
Unger has written another suspenseful plot twister in Confessions on the 7:45. I had heard people raving about this book at the Virtual Book Expo this year and downloaded an e-galley.  The title comes from two women who are stuck on the commuter train as it breaks down and start talking. Sometimes, confessions are easier to reveal to strangers and commuters Selena and Martha reveal some deep dark secrets to each other.  Soon people go missing and  other confessions come out of the woodwork and the tale continues to twist and warp till we’re not sure who to believe. Recommended.
4+ stars.

I enjoyed Lisa Unger’s latest thriller.  There were multiple threads that all came together nicely and were not easy to figure out.  My only issue was that does every single male figure, except for the cold case detective, have to be an absolute cad?
What a wild roller coaster ride with almost everyone a suspect. Great story from beginning to end. Only complaint I have is that there were a LOT of characters and there are times when the reader is not sure if it’s taking place in the past or present - it takes a few seconds to realize the subtle switch.
I'm sorry to say that this one was just too dark for me to read at this time.  I apologize for not finishing it.  The pervasive feeling of impending doom wasn't what I needed during these dark times.
Lisa Unger mixes Hitchcock’s “Strangers on a Train” with her own brand of twisted murder mystery to create a fascinating look at what happens when your problems suddenly disappear in a way that makes more problems for you.  Selena is a hard-working wife and mother who leaves work late one evening, then the train stalls on the track and she starts to converse with her seat mate Martha. Martha, strangely enough, confesses that she is having an affair with her boss.  Not to be outdone, Selena confesses to Martha that her nanny Geneva is having an affair with her own husband Graham.  Honestly, Graham was probably my least favorite character, but I am certain that was by design by the author.  He was weak-willed and lazy but seemed to have some kind of special charm that attracted women.  Anyway, once Selena meets and talks to Martha, the action really begins and the plot twists and turns in so many ways that it was hard to keep follow at first.  There are three POV’s and the identity of two of the women was hard for me to discern at first, as was whether the time frame was in the present or the past.  Once I discerned who was who and when things were happening, I was a much happier reader!  This book was filled with intrigue, murder, infidelity and deception (which kind of goes along with infedelity, doesn’t it).  And as if there were not enough going on in this complex story, add blackmail to the mix.  None of the narrators is totally trustworthy and that contributed to the magnetic pull for me as a real mystery buff.  Fans of Unger and those who really enjoy a good mystery will not want to miss this one!
Disclaimer
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley.  I was not required to write a positive review.  The opinions expressed are my own.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255, “Guides Concerning the Use of Testimonials and Endorsements in Advertising.”
Would you share a secret with a stranger on a train? What if she shared a secret with you first? What if she said your problem and hers might just go away- would you believe her even if she make you uncomfortable? What if you wondered why you shared that with a stranger? What if things begin to happen in your life that don't make sense? I devoured this book in one day- a real roller-coaster ride that kept me turning the pages as fast as I could.
Confessions on the 7:45 is like Strangers on the Train, but without the explicit proposition. Selena gets stuck on a train on her way home from work one night and ends up confessing to her seatmate, Martha, that she thinks her husband is having an affair with her nanny. That would be all fine and well except then the nanny goes missing. Selena begins wondering if mysterious Martha had anything to do with it. The book is much, much more complicated than the set up, going back in time, switching POV, multiple baddies, but it all works.  Apparently I've been sleeping on Lisa Unger! This is the first book I've read by her and I plan to read more. In fact, I immediately checked out another book by her from the library. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy!
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for my copy of Confessions on the 7:45 by Lisa Unger. All opinions are my own.

This was a book full of twists and turns, and I was instantly hooked from the first page. Selena was a compelling character and I found myself connected to her. Once her life flips upside down, Selena decides to take matters into her own hands instead of sitting and playing the victim. I didn't see the twist coming until it was right in front of my face. While this wasn't my favorite thriller of the year, it's definitely a good one, and one I'll recommend to patrons at the library branch I work at.
A good suspense novel with an interesting twist at the end.  The story was fast paced and I really liked the female characters.  I did feel though that were just too many abusive and cheating husbands.  Wow, are there really that many of them?
DNF I don't like to read books with too much sexual detail. I prefer if its alluded to but I don't want to read about the act. I stopped reading in the second chapter. Thanks to NetGalley and Publisher for ARC. Unfortunately, this book was not for me but I am in the minority and most readers really like it.
From the outside Selena seems to have the perfect life but, things are not what they seem. After talking to a woman she has just met on the train about her family problem, her nanny goes missing and the woman from the train starts texting and things get even weirder after that. This was a compulsively good read. Highly recommend!
Pace and tone were both good. A couple of the characters were very slightly underdeveloped, but not offensively so. Overall enjoyable, slightly twisty, with a nice meshing together kind of thing by the end.