Cover Image: The Spymasters

The Spymasters

I felt like I was watching a movie! I love biographies and you add spies and CIA into it the mix and you get a awesome book!

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Scriber Publishers for my honest review.
The Spymasters is not a spy novel, but it is none the less intriguing. Highly informative, Chris Whipple carves out a stark look at the men and the lone woman who has led the intelligence agency. It is less a "how-to" be an operative or analyst, but a study in management. There are those managers that are long on style and less on substance and the truly successful (that is touted both externally and internally) are a combination of both. There is a great deal to unpack in each vignette and the build-up is palpable, however it tends to lose a little steam towards the end of each. Often power grabs are at the heart of the ill-fated and while the answers lie in rectitude there is no easy defense when those in authority cannot tell truth to power. Intriguing and somewhat troubling given the current environment.
An easily read and digestible book on the men and women who have led the CIA. The personalities, the successes and the failures, the results (intended and unexpected). The book flows along well, from director to director. Along with a lot of personal insights by the former directors.
Where the book really shines, in my opinion, is in what it tells of the events of the past several years. Truly horrifying. Let's hope the cooler heads prevail.
This was a wonderful book.  The only thing that troubles me is that according to works by another author, the CIA told the Bush White House that there were no WMD in Iraq before the war ever started.  The CIA never gave the White House bad information. It was the White House who falsified the data it was given.  Furthermore, the motives of terrorists who were in Iraq never met with Saddam.  There was no collusion.  The Iraq war was totally drummed up by George Bush.  This book convinced me that I will never vote for Donald trump again.