Cover Image: THREADS

THREADS

In a way, I can relate to Threads. Not that I have lived during the depression nor have even lived on a farm. But I do have 2 sisters, so like Flora, Irene and Nellie, a single day or a single event, can be interpreted in 3 different ways. In a nutshell, this is how this book reveals itself. No wonder we get up to chapter 97!

Covering the period April to December 1934, the three sisters tell us of their days filled with school and homelife. These girls work hard to help prevent the loss of the family farm during the depression period.
Thrown into the mix is the discovery by Nellie of a buried baby in the woods towards the crick  ( no that is not a spelling mistake. Actual Michigan farm dialect peppers the book giving it a quaint and authentic feel).

There is a barn fire, attempted horse rustling, a drunken thief,  an attack on Nellie and then an attack on Irene by a deranged preacher. The girls speak of hunger, back breaking work and many sacrifices made to struggle through another year, helping thier payment pay the mortgage and the taxes.

The shared childhood and the love their parents gave then, link the sisters together like threads referred to in the title.  I imagine these threads  as those of a rope, twisted together to form a strong singular element.
In reading Threads, I gained an appreciation for rural life in Michigan in the depression years and the grit of those who endured it. Thanks to Netgalley and Charlotte Whitney for this copy to read.
The author brings us into the depression era world of a farm family, their community, and joys and sorrows as three sisters come of ages in their own ways. The story brings smiles and tears of empathy.

The girls speak for themselves chapter by chapter as they deal with hunger, the fear of homelessness, the finding of a baby buried in a mysterious shallow grave near their home, and a roaming predator. The story is written in the style  of a memoir and is engaging and interesting.

My only negative is that at times the girls' stories waver between being told from their youthful perspective and adult pontificating. There are times the pace slows, but this book is well worth reading.

As a volunteer reviewer, I received a copy of this book through NetGalley. My reviews are wholly my own and made without obligation to any entity. #THREADS #NetGalley
Cannot get past the bad English in the first paragraph.  Dialect or not, it is grating on my last nerve and I couldn't finish paragraph one.
Nellie, Irene and Flora are three sisters growing up on a Michigan farm during the Depression.  They work hard alongside their parents and hold on to their dreams of an easier life when they are grown up.  Nellie, the youngest, has a vivid imagination.  She spends her free time wandering the farm and nearby woods, having conversations with animals and her favorite alien, ZeeZee.  Irene, the middle sister, has a close relationship with her teacher, eating lunch with her everyday and exchanging secrets about classmates.   Flora is seventeen and as the oldest, looks out for her sisters, but is already dreaming about boys and marriage.  Each of the girls has their own misadventures and close calls with danger.  The way the family navigates their dire circumstances and the evil that seems to lurk in their area makes for an absorbing and intriguing read.

This was a well written and engaging book which I truly enjoyed and strongly recommend.  Thank you to Netgalley and the author Charlotte Whitney for the free ARC I was given.  This is my honest opinion.
Loved the book. I grew up and still live in Calhoun County and this book brought back memories of the stories my grandmother told about her Depression era childhood.
Received from Net Gallery to read and give a review. The book takes place with three sister in the time of the Depression,on a farm. The story takes you through a mystery of events that the girls go through and tries to solve. Exciting flow of  the story where it has you wanting more of what happens. The characters you encounter are different and strong. The research on the time period you can tell a lot of work went into the story. If you don't know much about the Depression,this is a story you can't pass up and learn the story of the three sisters!
This is the story of three sisters, Nellie, Irene, and Flora. The book is set during the Depression Era. The youngest one, Nellie finds a baby buried in the woods and the sisters make a pact to find out who's baby it is and why they buried it. This book had me engrossed from the beginning. As the story unfolds there are some very interesting surprises. I enjoyed this book very much and you will also.
Wealthy days of poverty

Threads is the story of three girls living through the depression on a small farm in Michigan.  It is a story of how life was, the making do, sometimes going hungry, hard work, holding on to their home by a thread and a family filled with love and happiness amid hard times.   It follows three girls, Flora , Irene and Nellie.

One day Nellie, (7 years old, the youngest) while going to play in the creek found a mound on the side of the road. Thinking of treasure she got a stick and poked the mound. What she found was a tiny had of a baby which had been buried in the mound. This caused quite the commotion at home when she told her parents.  They told the girls not of speak of it and called the Sheriff. The girls formed a "Sisters Club" they got together and talked about who  they though had buried it there and why. The tried to solve the mystery and got into some pretty bad circumstances while doing so.

It is a story of the girls coming to terms with life and growing up. Tragedy and happier times both have to be done through by all.  The book was a delight to read, and very informative as to how they lived in this historical era.  The description of their life day to day and how they lived was very well done even the flowers and the vegetable garden.

I loved the way that at the end of the book the author wrote pages in to explain what happened with each girl in the future and how each on followed her own path.  It really was a great way to end the book.

I definitely would recommend this book.  You will not be disappointed.

Thanks to Charlotte Whitney, Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), and NetGalley for allowing me to read this book for an honest review.
Threads is a story thats set is Depression era, about three sisters who attempt to solve a mystery. The author has well researched the era’s emotions, reality and has wonderful captured in this novel. The attention to details is a highlight. I really enjoyed the story told in different pov (the sisters). Fast paced and not too heavy for a period piece. I found it easy to be sucked into the story and love the bond between the sisters. Beautifully written historical fiction. Really wish there were more books written about Depression era.
Thank you NetGalley and Charlotte Whitney for a reader’s copy of this novel. The review is based only on my opinion.
This book was so good! The characters were so well rounded, you felt like you actually knew them! The plot was so good you didn't want the book to end!
I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

"Narrated by Nellie and her two older sisters, the story follows the girls as they encounter a patchwork of threatening circumstances and take it upon themselves to solve the mystery. "

Nice, readable story. I liked the attention to details (food, clothing, transients, lack of income) about the depression era, good and bad.

The author did a brilliant job of capturing the sacrifices and hard work that three sisters had to make during the Depression era.  This book was historically accurate as far as the author’s description of the time period, which I really enjoy with historical fiction.  I highly recommend this for any historical fiction lover!
When I was in Highschool, I made a book of the story of my grandmothers life. Settling in on the Depression-era tales, of poverty, and the struggles the women faced. Later on in my life, I fell in love with a book by John Steinbeck - The Grapes of Wrath, a poignant tale of a man who was released from prison to come home to his home, and realize his family had relocated. This book brought me back. His ability to tell the story from multiple POV's, and allowing the reader to get to know the sisters independently, made it so easy to wrap yourself up into the story and fall in love with the characters. The format makes this story exceptional. Nelly, Flora and Irene are easily becoming my favorite sisters in literature. I loved how they were together, like the babysitters club, trying to solve a mystery and growing up together in the struggles of that era.

This exceptional novel is worthy of your time, and I found it an easy and enjoyable read. The plot was engaging, the structure flow was excellent, and the character building superb.

4 stars

* Thank you to Netgalley, The Publisher, and Charlotte Whitney for giving me a free copy in exchange for my honest review.