Cover Image: Remember, It's Ok: Loss of a Parent

Remember, It's Ok: Loss of a Parent

I liked the way the author categorized the stages of grief and the way it was an interactive book with suggested activities to focus on.
The formatting of this book made it one that wasn’t unbearable to comprehend or too dull to force myself through. Using real therapy settings and sessions as the scenes and then making suggestions for my life based on the “character’s” issues were very helpful.
Remember, It's Ok: Loss of a Parent
By Marina L Reed, Marlyn Grace Boyd
Published by: Blue Moon Publishers,
New Chaper Press
Publish Date: 05 May 2020

This book is a positive, uplifting, helpful book for when you lose a parent. It helps you understand grief and that people all grieve their own way. Losing a parent is a very huge loss in a person's life, whether that parent was very close or not. This book helps people understand and deal better with that in mind.

I like that the book gives examples in the way of a counseling visit format. The person grieving talks about their situation and how they are feeling. Then the therapist gives suggestions to help them deal with their situation and/or feelings and adds something they can try or work on that might also help.

The layout of this book was thoughtful. It was color coded by the way a person might be feeling at the time, and what stage of grief they are in. I thought the color coding was great because sometimes people flip back and forth in their stages of grief, so they can just go to the color for which stage they are in at the time for help. There is also a section for writing in your own notes, memories, or adding photographs. Basically a journaling section to help you through your grief.

My favorite thing about this book is they gave good examples of ways to build upon the good memories people have of their parent. (i.e. mom and daughter had always put together a favorite recipes box and for a while it was hard to look at it because it brought back fond memories and made her sad. But, then someone suggested she should start cooking the recipes and even sharing the food at gatherings to bring back all the good memories. She did and even had other family pitch in and it turned into a happy good thing for her and others to remember mom.)

Overall, this is a very good book to help with the difficult grief in the loss of a parent. It does help you to know, it will take time, but to remember, it's OK.

I would like to thank the publishers and the authors for a free eARC of this book in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.
When life turns on its end and you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed,  superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

If you have lost your partner, your love, your other half, this book is for you. If you don’t know where to turn because your heart is so very broken, open the cover of this book. Inside these pages are moments you can identify with and guidance that will help you on this painful journey through grief.

This unique book divides moments of grief into six colours of emotion as the road map forward. Each "moment" has two entries, one from the perspective of the person suffering from a loss, and another as a guide for a companion response, whether a friend, family member, colleagues or therapist. Blank pages are also included for reflection.

There are three books in this series coming out: "Remember it's ok - loss of a parent", "Remember it's ok - loss of a partner" and "Remember, It's OK: Loss for Teens". All the book are set up the same way with the six colours of emotion and how to work through them with ideas for each specific person lost. There are pages to write on so the digital edition is not the best (nor is it for a library copy) and the covers are almost all the same so I think that that might cause some confusion. (Maybe a different, brighter colours for the covers???)

That said, these books are amazing and a great read for people in this situation (or in mine, where one has 93 and 94yo parents and is anticipating the need for this book!)  They are definitely worth the purchase if you are in this situation - I am sorry if you are there, but these books are great resources for anyone in grief.
I read this book as a professional working with grieving people and an educator but also as one who has lost their parent. The format of this book took a colour approach from red to pale blue indicating acute and less acute feelings of grief. It is a book of patient stories that are long and in detail, with a therapist/counsellor response of listening, affirmation and value on the grief state and some problem-solving brief interventions. It is obvious this is not seen as a substitute for therapy but a book where readers can identify with others in the same position and feel less isolated in their grief.

Sometimes I found the stories rather detailed and over-lengthy but overall, I liked being able to track some of the stories moving through the different colours of intensity. I think this is a text that will help some people grieving the loss of their parent.