Cover Image: The Girl with the Whispering Shadow

The Girl with the Whispering Shadow

Love the 2nd book, thank you so much net galley and the author for giving me this book for free. I really appreciate and I love it. I didn’t enjoy the first book in the series as much as I did with the second one which is amazing
I’m gonna be honest, the first book was really tedious, but this one, has been lighter and more entertaining that the first one.

The “world building” is still very good, it shows how much the author has thought about every detail of the magical beings, the city, the games and others.

The story as such, starts very slowly, only at half of it do things start to happen (and not so many). throughout the beginning, I felt that they barely introduced me to the new characters, also, at no time did I see Ivy look for what Derwin had told her, I think that's my biggest problem with the story, "lots of talk, but not much action." But it was still fun to read.

I still feel that I haven’t created any bond with the characters, I feel that they all still need a lot of development and that they have to finish what they have already established and don’t leave it halfway, such as the "relationship" between Ivy and Fyn, the first book stablished that they had a liking for each other, but they do not deal with that subject until the end where they only say that they blush, but it does not go further and I do not say that I want tense scenes, because in the end they are children between 16-19 years old, but I would like them to establish more the kind of interaction.

In general, I liked this second book more than the first one, but it did feel very slow. I'm still intrigued by the ending and want to know what happens
Honestly, this was a decent 2nd book. I tend to not really enjoy the 2nd book in a series as it's usually much slower, but this one was pleasantly surprising. It was mysterious, intriguing, and still full of action.

I loved seeing Ivy's relationships grow and seeing her discover who she is, now that she knows about her past. Her determination is one aspect of her character that I really enjoy.

I am still captivated and intrigued by the magic in this series. I loved being introduced to Quogo (a kind of quill duel) and the invisitaurs (I feel like the name is enough discription). Both new aspects to this world were well created and very enjoyable to read about.

Although I wasn't sure if I would continue this series after the first one, I am definitely interested to see where the series goes with the last 2 books. I'm definitely wanting to recommend this series, now!
The Girl with the Whispering Shadow is the second book in the The Crowns of Crosswald series by D. E. Night. The story follows Ivy, an orphan turned royal, in finding her magic and her true self through life threatening adventures.

The story itself is really well written and the imagery is once again absolutely brilliant, I found a lot of the descriptions quite mesmerising especially as it came together in my head. I absolutely love how this book is very, very YA, but can also be classed as middle grade.

I have to say that this second book did take me quite a while to finish, and this affected my rating quite a bit, but regardless I do quite like this series and I will certainly continue it in the near future.

Ivy's character is weirdly relatable, but also so sweet and innocent... I just love her. I also loved the incorporation of both the found family and the secret society trope, both of which are very much appealing to a reader like me.

Overall, I definitely recommend this book and this series, especially if you're looking for something magical, something fantasy, with only a pinch of romance. If you like Harry Potter, you'll also like this.

Thank you to D. E. Night, Stories Untold and Netgalley for providing me with a digital copy in exchange for my honest review.
Loved loved loved!

I was so hooked on the first book in this series when I read it that I immediately ordered the second book! This story just keeps getting better and better - I'm ashamed at how long it took me to read this and I hate that I haven't read the other books in the series yet!

I love the characters, I loved everyone in the first book and that hasn't changed with this one! D.E Night does an amazing job at fleshing out the characters she writes, she really makes you care about everyone and they do honestly feel like friends.

Fun and enchanting story - a great read! Highly recommend!
This series just keeps on improving! I really enjoyed The Girl with the Whispering Shadow more than the first book but that’s because DE Night set up the story in the first book so well and this book was even better.

I love the world this book is set in and I really enjoyed learning more about the magic system. It’s so simple but it is described really well throughout the book and it feels very magical and mystical.

I love the characters even more in book two, and I fell in love with Ivy’s friendships with Rebecca and Fyn. I was happy with the character development within their friendship and I’m looking forward to reading more. Ivy is such a good main character and even though I wasn’t sure on her in the beginning I  love her character in this book.

This book left on such a good cliffhanger for the next book in the series and I’m very much looking forward to reading it!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
To be honest… the first book still in my favorite. This books really slowly for me. I know this 2nd book try to give the reader image for the world building more than the first book, but there are too many new characters that I even can’t remember. For the plot, I loved how the overall plot turned out. The big story line get more cleared about the Ivy past and  about what happened to Derwin, though it’s totally  slow progress .
I feel like some part of this book like the Quogo play reminds me of Harry Potter’s Quidditch. And also The shadow ‘s part that being controlled by the Dark Queen was kind of similar to Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets . But I like about Belzebuthe town, and how the author describe this secret town.
And after reading the 2nd book, it makes me sure that Ivy is not my favorite character. Too many troubles she made which risk people around her and at some point made me so angry to her.

But, do I want to read the the rest of this series? yes! But I hope the rest of the story  specially for the scenes not too similar with
Harry Potter again or other magical books series. And Ivy get better character development, because I didn't see it in this 2nd book.
Its so good to be back in the Croswald world again!
Book one absolutely blew me away, and here book two comes and is even better! In book one you could see the resemblance to Harry Potter and Hogwarts, where in this sequel we get to see so many aspects of what separates Croswald from it. I adore the magic system, quills and the introduction of the game Quogo, which I thought was absolutely brilliant.

Seeing the character development in Ivy and embracing her magic was stunning to watch unfold. I also liked how we got to see various of old and new characters which I hope we get more glimpses of in the future.

This remains a series I would always recommend for anyone who loves YA fantasy! If Harry Potter, fairytales and even Alice in Wonderland is your vibe, this book/series is definitely for you!
This book kind of followed suit with the first in the series.  It was okay but I didn't love it.  If not for the ARC copies - I don't think I even would have read the second book.  This one was a little slow for me and it didn't drag me into the story.  I know this was made for middle-grade readers - but I felt as if it were too predictible.  I am sure even middle-schoolers could figure out what was going to happen next in this book.  I enjoyed the new characters that were introduced but I wish there would have been a little bit more to the book.

Overall, a 3-star read for me.  I felt like it was just okay and I probably wouldn't purchase anything else by the author or read the other two books in the series.
I read the first book in march and really liked it, so you can expect that I’d have high expectations for the second one, and I am glad to say that it exceeded all my expectations!! I have nothing except good things to say, the story, the characters, the scenes, were all so well written I felt as if I was a part of the story! I am grinning like a Cheshire cat while writing this review because I am just thinking of going and rereading it again and again. It’s definitely in my comfort reads list.

I absolutely love the friendship dynamic in the book, like Ivy and Rebecca are friendship goals, also this may be a tiny spoiler but we see more of Ivy and Finn, they are so freaking cute! Also I have to say this book made me wanna read the third immediately, but I am holding out till I can get the book. Also, because I am obsessed dragons, as most you might know, I am just gonna say that there’s a very cool scene that made me love Rebecca more!!

It’s a middle grade fantasy, and is the perfect escape for adults and a new world to discover for children!! I would a hundred percent recommend this to anyone who’s into magic, dragons and adventures!!

I would like to acknowledge and thank netgally, the author and the publisher for an ARC.
This book was honestly a little slow for me. It was still interesting, but it seemed like the story was just dragging in a few places. I will say that I did enjoy the addition of the new characters and Ivy’s secret club too. It was also nice to see the previous characters like Fyn and Rebecca back. One thing I did really like was the secret town. It was really cool to read about and was a fun addition. Overall, I enjoyed the book, but the ending was a little slow for me.
Thank you to Stories Untold Press and Net Galley! The Girl with the Whispering Shadow is the second entry in D.E Night's The Crowns of Croswald series. It follows Ivy Lovely in the wake of having learnt of her royal heritage and being tasked by her family's scrivenist with guarding and completing an important gem.

If you love fantasy and are in need of a new series to get lost in, I definitely think this is worth a read. It's a strong follow-up to the first novel. The world-building and descriptions are my favourite parts. I really enjoyed the beginning of the story set in Belzebuthe. I also think that the author did a better job of fleshing out some of the characters. Rebecca and Fyn really feel like great friends to have and they elevate the story when they're around. This book didn't hold my attention as fully as the previous one, although I think the story as a whole has improved. The pace was slower and it definitely felt like a link between books, necessary for Ivy's development and journey but not always as engaging. However, it's worth the read for the descriptions alone. Ivy's world is vividly painted and it makes you want to delve right in and enjoy the ride.

When it comes down to it, The Girl with the Whispering Shadow is a fun read and I would recommend this series to fans of middle-grade fantasy!
This is such an amazing series and I loved reading more in this amazing world that D.E. Night has created. ⁣
⁣
I have loved watching Ivy grow and develop over these two books. She is such an amazing and lovable character that you just continually root for. ⁣
⁣
I couldn't help but devour this one, especially with all the new risks and dangers that Ivy and her friends face. ⁣
⁣
I cannot wait to read the next book in this series!
I am so glad that I kept reading this series. I liked the first one and knew there was potential for the story and the characters and I was not disappointed. The timid side of Ivy gave way to seeing her become more comfortable and confident in her magical abilities. Her friendship with Rebecca has also grown stronger. There is a love interest in the story with Fyn but it is completely age-appropriate. This is a great book for middle-grade readers, both boys and girls.

The descriptions of places, people, and magic are also better in this book. I feel like we are getting a better window into how the magic system works. I look forward to continuing this series.

Thank you, NetGalley for the chance to read this book!
I really enjoyed this book! The whole world is so well thought out and it is so well written that you can imagine everything in immense detail! Although it took a little bit of time to get to the excitement of the story it helped to build up to it and make it even more gripping! I didn’t know what was coming next! The storylines are very clever and extremely well written! This book is just as good as the first one in the series and I can’t wait to read the third!
This is book two in the series and we find Ivy Lovely right where we left her, wrapping up her first school year at the Halls of Ivy where she is learning to become a scrivinist. Following the directions of her family's scrivinist, Ivy heads to Belzebuthe, a secret town where she hopes she will be able to stay safe. Ivy learns more about her new magical world and about her own magic but she can't help but feel like something is wrong.

This book is packed with lots of action and excitement and it kept me really engaged. I think I liked it even more than the first book. Ivy is passionate and a heroine you like to root for. I hope to see her find some more confidence as she learns more about herself and her abilities. I'm really enjoying this series so far, and definitely plan to read more!
Here we follow Ivy on her adventure to recover the three parts of the stone, that belongs to her royal family. Along side with Derwin she learns more of her power and so she goes on an adventure with Fyn and Rebecca to recover one part of the stone. But the Dark Queen descovers the location to the secret town and tries to retrieve the stone, 'cause she needs it. I loved how friendship turns into something really important in this book, but for me there were parts that I  didn't care like the games or the description of places, but I did enjoy the other parts like the ones where she is facing the Dark Queen
Genre: Fantasy/Middle Grade
Pages: 384

If you love Harry Potter or magic in general, this is the series for you. This book picks up where the last one ended.  Despite this being a middle grade book, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
 The pacing held my attention and the plot wasn't overly complicated. We get to see Ivy's character grow in this book and her relationship deepen with Rebecca and Fyn. Glad to see that we got additional characters too!

Overall, a fun & magical book that'll entertain all ages!

For more book reviews, follow me @literaturewithalatte
I love how magical this series is! Just the whole concept of magic coming from pens and stones is a fun. This second book in the Crowns of Croswald series finds the protagonist, Ivy, where she left off in the previous story. She is still in danger and must hide. The place she hides is both secret and endearing. We are privileged to see Ivy grow deeper friendships and gain confidence in her abilities and who she is to her world. My only complaint about this book was a scene where Ivy's friends encouraged her to do something of questionable morality and safety. There were consequences for the actions, but I truly felt her friends' actions were out of character. However, it was a a small plot point, and the rest of the story was a delight. I received a digital copy of this book for free for an honest review.
Whoosh! And we're back from our latest thrilling visit to the Magical School of Ivy Hall. Our detour trip on the cabby through The Town, Belzebuthe, was quite the experience as well. Once again, a reminder to travel as light as possible.

Can you still remember where we ended off in the first instalment, The Crowns of Croswald? Yes, the Dark Queen made a dark and watery appearance at the Ball and we discovered that Ivy Lovely's name isn't just plucked from a leave, oh no - she is a direct descendant from the magical inhabitants of Ivy Hall and the walls are there to protect her.

Okay, she did attend the Ball without the proper clearance and all hell broke lose, so it's only fair that she needed to be punished. Luckily she had a whole summer to think of all her indiscretions and to ponder on her lineage and the best part of all - she got to spend it with her best friend, Rebecca. Or at least, that's what she thought. Yes, she needed to be punished, but her safe keeping under the severest protection, was still the first priority. So whoosh, she gets tumbled (quite literally) off to Belzebuthe, a Town with a protection spell that the Dark Queen cannot enter.

When dark and stormy clouds enter the Town, Ivy's ban from Ivy Hall was revoked by The Selector. Or is there a more sinister presence that wants Ivy between the walls of her ancestors? And who do we trust here? And will the missing pieces of the Kindred Stone be found? Questions questions questions! Luckily we have a large number of scrivenists and magical quills to help us find the answers.

The Girl with the Whispering Shadow (just wait till you discover the meaning behind the title, it truly is a thrilling revelation!) is a wonderful sequel to The Crowns of Croswald and we were very glad to meet up with the hairies and Humboldt again. Meeting a few new magical creatures just made this an even more enjoyable read.

How wonderful to know that book 3 and 4 in this series are available as well. Now we just need to squeeze in the time to finish this delightful tale that can be enjoyed by young and old.